Wednesday, April 27, 2022

The Flatshare by Beth O'Leary

The Flatshare is Beth O'Leary's debut novel. I loved The Switch, so I was excited to dive in and see what else she could do.

Tiffy has just broken up with her jerk of an ex-boyfriend. She works at publishing house for very little money at a job she loves, so when she sees an ad for a flatshare where she could stay in an apartment from 6pm to 8am during the week and all of the weekends for a bargain basement price, she can't resist. She moves in to the apartment without meeting the "day tenant," Leon, and they soon begin exchanging notes.

Interesting characters: Oh, yes, so much! I want to be friends with all of them, from Tiffy to Leon to all of Leon's patients to Tiffy's friends to Leon's brother. I do not want to be friends with her terrible ex-boyfriend, but he was a well-written ex.  I was just charmed by all of them. 

Believable conflict: Oh, yes. Past trauma on both their parts leads to absolutely recognizable conflict. It was very well done. It was great to see the two main characters communicate about their issues in a mature manner, too. I really liked how Tiffy had her friends and Leon had his brother as sounding boards for their relationships and how realistic and fun those scenes were. It was so great to see women and men with such solid same-sex friendships. 

Emotional tension: Oh, this was so well done. They didn't actually even see each other until a third of the way in and O'Leary did a good job of maintaining the sexual tension all the way until the end. Since they were both dealing with some stuff, it made sense that things wouldn't be smooth for them, but it all seemed real.

Happily ever after: Oh, so cute. The end was so cute and wonderful!

In case you can't tell, I loved this book. I adored it and now I must read the rest of her books. She's only released four as of right now, but I shall be reading the two I haven't read ASAP.

5/5 stars

5 comments:

  1. Ah well this was good timing. I got The Switch out of the library, but was about to return it today- only because I have a bunch of other books to read and I didn't think I'd get around to it. But now I'll hang onto it. I'm heading out to get the latest Robert Galbraith book, which I must read right away! I'll save The Switch for after, and if I like it I'll get The Flatshare as well.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really enjoyed this book, too! O'Leary is a great author! It's been quite awhile since I read this but it was my first "shared bed" romance and I thought it was so clever and well done.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, I am so glad you loved this book. I gave it 5 stars, too. I *hated* her book, The Road Trip. It didn't have ANY of the charm of The Flatshare or The Switch. I'll be interested in what you think of it if you give it a try!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oooh, I liked The Switch, so I might just love this!

    ReplyDelete
  5. OK, I should definitely put this author on my list - her books sound like ones I would enjoy. I also just love seeing your enthusiasm about it! :)

    ReplyDelete