Tuesday, December 13, 2022

Because Internet by Gretchen McCulloch

 Do you ever find yourself reading a book and stopping every other paragraph to read a sentence or a snippet to your partner or your dog or anyone else who will listen? This is how I was with Because Internet: Understanding the New Rules of Language by Gretchen McCulloch. 

 


McCulloch is a linguist who examines how it is that the internet is changing our language one fad at a time. She starts by examining how much informal writing we do on a day to day basis - far more than at any other time in history. We're not worried about our grammar, spelling, and punctuation in a text message, Slack chat, or random blog posts no one is going to read. Informal writing existed before the internet, of course, in letters, diaries, postcards, and old grocery store lists found on the back of envelopes, but they're harder to analyze than a corpus of old Yahoo chat room logs. This informal writing is how we truly think and react without the editing that comes from even a Tweet or Facebook post that you might craft thoughtfully thinking all your followers might read it.

Along the way, she categorizes internet users by how and when they were introduced to the technology. Were you an old skool Usenet or IRC user? Did you come on to the internet with the rise in AIM or blogs? Did you join Facebook after everyone else you knew had already joined? Or did you start using the internet when Snapchat was already a reality and Vine hadn't be a thing for years? This starting point can tell a lot about how you communicate via the internet and how your language has changed through usage.  

I went to college from 1997-2001. I got my first cell phone in the spring of 2001. I used computers daily to write papers, do research, and email my high school friends who were in colleges far away. I logged on to an IRC about Garth Brooks, met a guy I dated through Yahoo chat, and didn't really distinguish my online life from my real life. I have maintained a blog since 2004 and don't think a day has passed in the last decade when I didn't look *something* up online. I'm not sure I'm a Full Internet Person, according to McCulloch, but I certainly am an Old online.

I think this is worth a read. Some chapters may be more interesting to you than others (I sort of snoozed my way through the chapter on memes), but all in all, I think this is fun, relevant non-fiction.

4.5/5 stars

I thought this book was fascinating and shall share just a few of the quotes I couldn't help but reading out loud.

Lines of notes:

...collected examples from what the linguist David Crystal called familects: "the private and personal word-creations that are found in every household and in every social group, but which never get into the dictionary" (or onto dialect maps). The book's initial appeal for "familect" words attracted thousands of submissions from around the world, with stories of misheard song lyrics, onomatopoeia, children's coinages, and no less than fifty-seven words for the TV remote control. (page 26-27) 

When my husband was quite young, he asked for "a frog in a teapot" for a birthday present. His mom had no idea what he meant. Months go by and he's watching Sesame Street and he points at Oscar the Grouch, calling him a "frog in a teapot." My MIL had a silver teapot that had similar parallel lines as Oscar's trash can (a teapot that lives in our dining room today) and he thought Oscar looked like a frog. We refer to Oscar as a frog in a teapot in our household. 

Please tell me a familect word from your house.

Even after years of writing, most of us have a hard time trusting what we naturally think sounds like a reasonable English sentence, haunted as we are by the ghosts of misguided grammarians. (page 45)

After years of writing this blog, I no longer worry about sentence structure. People seem to still understand my meaning, even when I mess up. And I mess up all the time!

Fittingly, the internet has come up with a word for this: columbusing, or white people claiming to discover something that was already well established in another community, by analogy with how Columbus gets credit for discovering America despite the millions of people who already lived there. (page 51)

Columbusing! I've never heard this term but I love it. I wonder how closely related this is to cultural appropriation?

Studies consistently show that most teens would rather hang out with their friends in person. The reasons are telling: teens prefer offline interaction with friends because it's "more fun" and you "can understand what people mean better." But suburban isolation, the hostility of malls and other public places to groups of loitering teenagers, and schedules packed with extracurriculars make these in-person hangouts difficult, so instead teens turn to whatever social site or app contains their friends (and not their parents). As danah boyd puts it, "Most teens aren't addicted to social media; if anything, they're addicted to each other." (page 102)

This is a real problem in our town. Teens end up at our public library after school because there's just no other place they can go without getting kicked out. This is a lot of wear and tear on the library's physical building (they've had to repaint the teen room three times in the last year) AND stresses our librarians, who don't get extra staff with expertise in teens just because there are a lot of tweens and teens there. 

Looking for a grand unified theory of emoji had been dooming me to failure because emoji don't just have one function, they have a range of them. But crucially, it's the same range that gestures have, and that's why emoji caught on so quickly and so completely: because they gave us an easy way of representing the functions behind the gestures that are so important for our informal communication. (page 160-161) 

The chapter on emoji was absolutely fascinating to me. McCulloch's thesis is that emoji are gestures that we would normally do sort of unconsciously when we are talking to someone, but we have to use them to soften our tone, show sarcasm, and lots of other things we do without thinking in person. 

...the "deep like" refers to a possibly accidental like on someone's post from a long time ago, which implies that you were creepily looking back through their profile. (page 189)

There's a term for this!

Thing I looked up:

wonderpus photogenicus (page 9) - a particularly gorgeous octopus

Jenny (JennyHuang) from Taipei, CC BY 2.0 <https://creativecommons.org/licenses/by/2.0>, via Wikimedia Commons



13 comments:

  1. This sounds interesting- probably not interesting to make me read it- I'll just enjoy thinking about your review. I have a good "familect." When my sister was really, really little, she had a sore throat and when my mom asked her what it felt like she said "It feels like I have a shoe in my throat." (I'm laughing a little now- kids say the weirdest things.) Well, that term caught on and became our family's way of describing a sore throat. If it was really bad we would say "I have a boot in my throat" and even my dad, who was always kind of out of it when it came to family jokes, would describe a mild sore throat as "I have a slipper in my throat."

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, I love this example of familect! I love that it has been changed to show the degree of soreness of the throat. What a lovely story - thanks for sharing it!

      Delete
  2. This looks so interesting!
    I did not get email until I was in...my third or fourth year of university, maybe? It was not common at that time to use the internet as research, in fact, it was considered highly suspect. We still all just checked out reference books and had strong preferences as to microfiche or microfilm.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I certainly did spend a lot of time with a microfiche machine. Those were the days. My husband's brother is seven years older than him and his experience with the internet is so different - he isn't on social media and rarely uses it except to check email and sports scores. I feel very lucky to be comfortable with the internet, but that social media didn't exist when I was in college - it seems like I'm in a very lucky cohort.

      Delete
  3. This looks fascinating to me!! I love language and linguistics and I'm generally very interested in how technology is changing/ has changed our society. I am fascinated by emojis, too. I actually LOVE emojis. It feels like using them oftentimes allows me to express that little "extra" smile or facial expression or hand gesture, or even just a little laugh/ tone of voice change that I would include in regular conversation. I've thought many times how much I love being able to insert that "just right" emoji into a text message.

    And the "deep like.... lol! Definitely one of those things previous generations didn't have to worry about. haha.

    I graduated from college in 2006 and I believe I got my first Facebook account sometime in my last year or two of college. I remember someone inviting me to join, and I think I was like, uh why do I need this.... but I ended up getting it anyway.... Re: email, I can't really recall using it in high school, so I guess I'm not sure when I first got it. I know for sure I was issued a university email account in 2001, and at some point in there I established my gmail account, which I still use today. A funny thing about email- maybe I've mentioned this before, sorry if a repeat story- but I distinctly remember going phone shopping with my now husband in probably ~2007 or 2008 or so, and we were looking at some kind of newer smart type phone. (Not an iphone). And my husband said, Well, I think you could actually check your email on this one! And I replied, "What? WHY would I ever need to check my email on my phone?? I most definitely do not need that." Hahaha. Oh, to go back. Sounds kind of nice, I'll admit.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think the emoji thing was so interesting because I use emoji a lot to really get across tone. Sometime I feel like my text messages, in particular, are a bit curt, and I use an emoji to show I'm not angry or sad, but just saying what I have to say. It IS easier for that message to come across in face-to-face interactions, so I love the explanation that emoji isn't language per se (you can't have an entire conversation in emoji), but it's gestures and tone. That makes a lot of sense to me and reading about it clarified for me how I'm really use emoji and it also clarified why I don't use GIFs very much. It's such a fascinating topic and book.

      Delete
  4. Okay, this is on hold for me now at my library! Sounds fascinating! I loved all the parts you pulled out, too. The only familect words I can think of are "zooper" (our word for handheld vacuum) and "Howard," which is what we call squirrels. There is only one real Howard (the enormous fluffy squirrel in our yard, who surely cannot be the same squirrel that has lived there since Carla was born) but all other squirrels are "a howard." As in, "Look! There's a howard on that tree!"

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. How was the original Howard coined, though? Did he look like a Howard you knew? Was it a misunderstanding/mishearing from Carla? It's such a leap from squirrel to Howard. I'd like to know more!

      Delete
  5. This is fascinating! I think I may have this one on my TBR, but I need to check. I graduated high school in 2006, which means I was part of that original group on FB when it was intended to bring college people together.

    One of the most interesting Internet dialect things I've heard recently is how you can tell what generation a person is by the way they describe Instagram. Do you say the full name? Is it just "the gram"? Is it IG? Is it Insta? I'm trying to remember which generation says which description. I think millenials call it "the gram" and Gen Z-ers call it "IG." I can't remember who calls it Insta! Anyway, it's just interesting the way language changes. I'm sure even this book will be dated in another year!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am Gen X and I say Instagram. LOL. I do not shorten the name ever. I think it just says I'm an Old!

      Delete
  6. Total Gen X but also kind of get the millenials because, well, I teach them. That said, I am a stickler for grammar. I am also a very careful writing. I don't hesitate to hold my students to high standards, too - academic writing differs from texting! So yes, I'm that professor they love to hate. :) They do step up, though. I think I need to read this - it sounds so interesting!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I thought of two familects last night that I didn't get to share. One is "pip", which is a term our family uses to refer to a kid (or adult) who's being mischievous. The other is "adgenda", which is the term our family uses for an agenda. The reason behind that one is that, when I was a kid we'd have family meetings and you could add to the agenda for that week's meeting throughout the week. If I started the list, I *always* spelled it with a "D". Hence, "adgenda". :) (Also reading everyone else's made me feel better about my family having them!)

      Delete
    2. Oh, sure, every family has them and they're wonderful and such a treasure! Thanks for sharing ours. I'll start calling my youngest nephew a pip because he's a real firecracker!

      Delete