Friday, July 29, 2022

The Prettiest Star by Carter Sickels

The Prettiest Star by Carter Sickels  tells the story of the Jackson family in the 1980s. Their oldest child, Brian, has moved back home from New York City.  He has AIDS and pretty soon the small town in Ohio is awash in rumors and hate. Brian's parents struggle to help Brian, raise their younger daughter Jess, and keep their heads above water. 

The writing here is stark. The history of gay men dying and the fear surrounding interacting with sick people and treating sick people is horrific. The lack of a response from the government was horrific. The hatred aimed at sick people was horrific. The entirety of the AIDS epidemic was one disturbing interlude to the next.

But all of that is in the background of this novel about the reverberations of a young person dying in a family. And Carter Sickels writes a raw, emotional story that doesn't pull any punches and takes the reader through a real, painful journey.  Each of the members of the family is so well-developed. The reactions of the townspeople is spot on. The writing here is evocative, but accessible. 

It's not easy to read, my friends. But it is important to read. Let's not forget the history of these young people who were so cast aside and judged.  4.5/5 stars

4 comments:

  1. This sounds GOOD. I just checked and they have it at my library- I might go by tomorrow and get it. I agree it sounds like it might be hard to read. I was in high school and college in the 80s and I remember how scary AIDS was in the beginning. Thanks for the review!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is a hard book to read, but I'd be interested in your take on it if you do read it!

      Delete
  2. I've not heard of this book, but I kind of lived the story.
    My brother suffered with AIDS for two and a half years before dying. He was 26 and it was in that timeframe where Doctors didn't know what to do and most people were fearful of him. Even strangers (he could not hide his illness) were horrible towards him. He had so many of his peers going through the same thing at the same time; it was indeed a horrific time in our history.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, I'm so sorry to hear about your brother and I can only imagine how hard it was for you and the rest of your family. I hope you have many wonderful memories with your brother and that the end of his life doesn't dominate your memory. Hugs.

      Delete