Wednesday, November 30, 2022

1.30 Depression - 2022 Stocking Stuffer Ideas: $25 and Under

Bestest Friend and I are doing a blog project. Every day we will write a blog post on a pre-determined theme chosen by a random noun generator. The theme for the thirtieth day of the month is "Depression."

*****************

I am in a funk. My job has ended and I don't have any firm offers in hand. NaBloPoMo is over after today and my reader is not going to be jam packed with posts to read every morning. The best way out of that depression, though, is a bit of retail therapy. Here are my stocking stuffer ideas for the year.

Here's my guide from 2021. Those are great ideas, too. 

Games and Toys



Game of Phones ($25 from Uncommon Goods) - My goals is to host more game nights in 2023 and I think this would be a great modern addition to the game selection.

Slingshot with felt ammo ($17.50 from Handcrafted Buffalo) - We have a slingshot and it's great fun. Also, I'm terrible at it.

Unstable Unicorns ($19.99 from Amazon) - I think a game in which unicorns might be the bad guys sounds like fun.

Personalized Yo-Yo ($9.95 from Hazel Grove Customs) - What kid doesn't love a yo-yo?

Pet Lovers



Pet portrait necklace ($19.50 from Mignon & Mignon) - These are so cute and any pet lover would love one.

Memorial pet ornament ($14.98 from Pawfect House) - I have a friend whose absolute favorite cat died this year and I think I might get this for him.

Cat oven mitts ($13.95 for a set of 2 from Amazon) - Am I the only one who has to replace my oven mitts once a year because I burn/stain/ruin them?

Paw soother stick (5.65 for a 0.15 ounce stick or $17.05 for 2 ounce stick) - I have some wax for Hannah's paws, but it's not in stick form. I think I would appreciate not having it all over my hands. 

Gear



Water filter straws ($19.99 for a 2-pack from Amazon) - If you know someone who is outdoorsy or planning a big camping trip, this might be just the thing for them.

Whoosh! screen cleaner kit ($16.99 at Amazon) - I mean, who here has really cleaned their computer screen? Ever?  I think we could all use this.

Windproof, rechargeable lighter ($15.99 at Amazon) - Have you ever tried to light a fire outside in December when the wind is blowing? Matches are not cutting it. This can save so much effort.

Portable Bluetooth speaker ($17.99 at Amazon) - I love the idea of having a speaker in the shower without spending a ton of money.

Girls



Fortune cookie bracelets ($9.69 for a 4-pack at Amazon) - I think my nieces would LOVE this. Inside each fortune cookie is a bracelet. What a fun idea.

Personalized spiral notebook ($9.95 from Purple Crush Creations) - Now I'm just picking things I wouldn't mind getting in my stocking.*

Paint by Stickers book ($9.95 from Fat Brain Toys) - My 13-year-old niece loved these a couple of years back. Her mom said she would finish a book every weekend!

Lip balm ($2.97 from Wild Child Lip Balm Co) - I do not know a girl or woman who would object to some fun-flavored lip balm. Ever. Just, you know, on a random Tuesday would be good, too.

Boys



Robot crayons ($15.63 for eight shaped crayons from Pastello Rosso) - This list shows that I basically think little boys should like robots. 

Personalized harmonica ($9.99 from Little Raven Toys) - Maybe this isn't a treat for the parents' ears, but I like the idea of introducing musical instruments to kids early.

Personalized flat flashlight ($$6.47 from Karen 25 Shop) - These are also magnetized and can stick to the fridge and I think it's a great idea for a place to keep a flashlight in case the power goes out. Plus, if the kids in your life are like the kids in my life, you can never have enough flashlights for playing ghost in the graveyard.

Cubebot ($12 from Areaware) - Who doesn't love a transforming robot thing?

Fashion



Wool socks ($22 at Smartwool) - You guys. I love socks. That is all.

Cute stud earrings, like these strawberry ones ($12 at Lilliput Little Things) - I have a lot of stud earrings, but I could always use more.

Ridiculous beanie with oversized pompom ($16.99 at Everything Jolie Shop) - If you don't have a silly pompom on your winter hat, what kind of life are you living?

Scarf ($20.25 from ionnass) - I think everyone deserves a fashion scarf. Every day. (For my loyal readers, I am wearing the animal print infinity scarf as I type this. FYI.)

Personal care



Hand sanitizer ($15 for a three pack from By Humankind) - I would kill for some hand sanitizer that smells decent at this point. This comes in rose, eucalyptus, or unscented.  

Wizard soap ($8 from Orange Tulip Creations) - I am tempted to buy some of these for everyone I know. Hedwig for life.

Wet brushes ($11.99 for a 3-pack at Amazon) - Did you know there are special brushes for brushing your hair when it's wet? These brushes prevent breakage. I feel like buying this pack and splitting it with the best women in my life.

Eyeshadow palette ($15 from Sephora) - This is a real bargain for eyeshadow. The Sephora collection is usually pretty good quality, too, so this is a steal.


For Your Nerds



Welcome to the shitshow pens ($12 for a set of 5 from Shop Fun Club) - I laughed a lot when I saw these. Who doesn't love slightly naughty office supplies?

Demotivational pens ($11.95 for a set of 5 from Offensive Crayons) - I honestly think these might be a good graduation present, too. Ha!

Magic wand pencils ($15 for a set of 4 from Stuff by Sawyer) - I am an utter fantasy nerd.

Book of the Month membership ($49.99 for three months, which is $16.66 a book) - Okay, this is a little bit outside of the budget, but it's under $25 each month.  If there's a book collector in your life, this might be a good option.

Decor



Vintage map magnets ($10.95 for a set of 2 from Tanner Glass) - I am tempted to get sets of two for everyone I love who lives far from me - one with a map from my town and one from a map where they live. That way, we can always be together.

Holiday ornament ($16.98 from Little Prairie Craft Co) - Obviously, there a gazillion ornaments out there to choose from. I think it's a sweet thing to give as a present.

Personalized coasters ($22.95 for a set of 4 from Personalization Lab) - We use coasters for a lot more than holding drinks in our house and I think everyone should have lots of coasters!

Flameless candles ($19.50 for a set of 4 from Pottery Barn) - I have a set of three flameless candles on a coffee table in our living room that automatically go on from 5:30 - 10:30 every day. I love how they create a soothing ambience without me having to do anything.


What's a stocking stuff you love to get? Have you been thinking about holiday presents yet?

*We don't have stockings, actually. There's no place to hang them in our house, so we've never gotten any.

34 comments:

  1. I'm so sorry you're in a funk. Sending big hugs and virtual Rex wiggles your way.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll take all the Rex I can get!

      Delete
  2. Such fun gift ideas! I hope they do help you out of your funk.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! It will all turn out okay and I'll take the dog for a walk and it will snap me out of this.

      Delete
  3. These are some of the best gift-guides EVER! Love it all. I'm not doing any gift guides this year so will be linking to yours!!!

    Socks are like the best adult gift ever! Thank goodness I already own a "silly pompom" hat - several, actually. They're so fun and do make facing a daunting winter morning a bit more cheery.

    I'm really sorry you're in a funk. It's a tough transition period...especially if your next transition - into a new role - hasn't yet presented itself. I don't have the "right" words - but I wish you all the best in this odd-in between stage and sincerely hope a fulfilling role comes your way...VERY soon.

    If it helps, I'll still be publishing ridiculously long posts 5 days a week. Somehow that never felt daunting, but NaBloPoMo (I look this up every time but on the last day I'm too lazy, so I might have things mixed up; will people know if I do? I've written it one hundred times this month and I CANNOT KEEP the shorthand STRAIGHT) has felt like a (very fun, great - want to do it again next year but am relieved it's over for now) sort of marathon <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know that I should be enjoying this period of freedom. I know it. It's such a good month to have off, but I'm just so stressed that I don't know what's next. I'm going to do better about fully embracing all the joys of December. We just got our holiday cards in the mail, so I'm excited to start addressing them and get those out.

      Yay for you still publishing most days! I'll be plugging along posting every day with my own self-imposed challenge, too.

      Delete
  4. Gah, funks are hard and this weather is not helping either. The dark and cold can really weigh on a person. I hope you get an offer very soon! It's exhausting to look for a job. It's like high stakes dating and I hated dating!

    I saw this on a cup of jo gift guide and thought it would be a good gift for someone that loves national parks. I would love to see all of them some day!

    https://www.amazon.com/Pop-Chart-National-Scratch-Off-Travels/dp/B09TS55VXG?pd_rd_w=VCAyW&content-id=amzn1.sym.116f529c-aa4d-4763-b2b6-4d614ec7dc00&pf_rd_p=116f529c-aa4d-4763-b2b6-4d614ec7dc00&pf_rd_r=VFBQ8S957E728FZSYNDA&pd_rd_wg=gOmGL&pd_rd_r=374f0ff5-66ce-4347-b202-05f820217ffd&pd_rd_i=B09TS55VXG&th=1&linkCode=sl1&tag=acoj-20&linkId=5b17f62343d76847994584dfbe586fc0&language=en_US&ref_=as_li_ss_tl

    We have stockings but I rarely put things in them! I think the boys will just get things for their stocking this year from Santa. Their big gift actually arrives today - it's a fort-building couch. The instructions say it has to be taken out of the box immediately or it's not covered by warranty and I"m too much of a rule follower to not follow the rule. So happy early Christmas to us, I guess!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Is there anywhere you could take the couch out of the box and hide it without the boys seeing it? Like in an attic or garage or something? I'm imagining how fun it would be for them to find it Christmas morning!

      Delete
    2. Unfortunately there isn't! We have one of those stereotypical tiny Minneapolis alley garages. And they already saw the box. :( I am bummed that we have to open it right away. That makes it hard to gift because who can plan for something like that to arrive with such precision that it would arrive within 3 days of Christmas? I was worried about it selling out and didn't want it to arrive while we were in mexico!

      Delete
  5. These are all so fun! Paint by Stickers books are an enduring hit around here, with my kid but also with my husband (who likes to "help" her). I think my daughter needs that little cube robot thing. And I would LOVE one of those pom pom hats!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And I'm really sorry about your funk. The job situation is so disheartening. I know you will find something, but I can see how it would feel really hard right now. Maybe you can THROW yourself into Christmas cheer this year and let it swallow you up?

      Delete
    2. Throwing myself into Christmas cheer is exactly the plan. I shall have a list of people who need gifts and then I'll plan how to frugally obtain those gifts and I'm just going to try to relax into all these hours of freedom I have!

      Delete
  6. Oh I'm so sorry about that funk - I hope it lifts soon! I've certainly enjoyed following along with your thoughts and adventures, so thank you for putting them out in the world!
    Maybe December is a good month for having an open calendar? You have time to lean into all the warm fuzzy good will of the season.
    We do stockings and I always underbuy and then overbuy for them. Last year I did little kitchen gadgets in everyone's stocking. (That cookie scoop and the mini potato masher were what the kids wanted. Honest. They were not at all an excuse to buy something that I would use more than anyone else. Honest.) The Husband likes to do lottery tickets. And then there is always chocolate and maybe notebooks or pencils.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wish we had a mantel or just someplace to hang stockings because they're so much fun and I love the idea of a little personal care item and some candy and just little doodads. Oh, well. I'll have to live vicariously through you.

      Delete
  7. As you know, I love a sweet list of gift ideas (or stocking stuffer ideas) - so thank you for curating this one and sharing it with us. :) (I also hope it lifted you out of a funk... I do hope that people continue to blog and show up for each other, even if NaBloPoMo is officially over.)

    A bookshelf scarf? What? So cool. I also really like the wooden mason jar ornaments - they're adorable.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ha ha... I love those demotivational pens. I'm going to go back and look at your 2021 gift guide, because your ideas are awesome.
    Yes, retail therapy and lots of dog walks should help you. It's such a bummer that you have to be dealing with this around the holidays- something will come up, but it's hard to see it that way when you're currently unemployed. Well- you have extra time to read now!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am reading SO much, as you have pointed out. It's out of control and the people at the library are going to be so sick of seeing me!

      Delete
  9. I LOVE smartwool socks, and bombass. Those are my two very favorite brands. I love the shitshow pens, they are perfect. I'm sorry you're in a funk. The sucky thing is, whenever I'm between jobs, I have trouble enjoying the down time, because I'm worried about finding a new job. What helps me, mentally, is to set aside a set amount of time every week day to look for work, and I don't exceed it (unless something perfect comes up). So I would give myself an hour or two to work on the finding a job thing, and then I would do something I wanted to do. Plan a fun meal. Go to a movie. Go for a swim. Walk the dog. Read my book. Take a nap. Go visit someone who also does not work. Whatever. It helped keep me from feeling down too often!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, this is it exactly. I *should* enjoy the downtime, but instead I'm stressing. I also have a volunteer gig that is really stressing me out, too, so it's just a combo. I need to definitely lean into my free time a bit more. I'll do my best.

      Delete
  10. I hope you get out of your funk very soon! Thank you for these ideas...I quickly ordered some Pet ornaments and I'm going to check out a few more of your suggestions. See, you helped me today, isn't that good?

    Oh, and I have several beanies with BIG ass pom poms on them because I'm living my best darn life. 😳

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yay! I'm glad this inspired someone. Yay! for pom pom beanies! It's the only way to get through winter.

      Delete
  11. That is a great list! I love the wooden slingshot looks pretty - I almost want that for myself (I suck at it, too though). This is a toy I would not mind having lying around at least. Our kids usually get stocking stuffers - a lot of times it's mostly sweets and maybe some pens or a card game or ...
    I hope a new job will come up soon. I imagine it not being easy especially before the holidays when everything seems to be winding down. I will keep my fingers crossed for you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, we have a "real" slingshot and I wonder if a wooden one wouldn't make me feel less incompetent if I were bad at it. Ha!

      Delete
  12. I like the idea of the sling shot. When my kids were little we had a bunch of soft balls about the size of a baseball and we use to do an all out attack in the basement. No one was hurt as they were soft and it was a great way to get energy out. Now they are 12 and 10 and not so into that but a sling shot is more skill. Sometimes when I go to get my son for dinner from his room I will throw a stuffy at him. I think I'm going to get sling shots for all of us.

    On another note, I second, third and fourth the comments that job hunting does suck. It's one of those things that doesn't get talked about enough and it leaves us feeling alone. I have had some awful job hunting times. I love the ideas of scheduling time for job hunting and then jumping into Christmas.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ugh. Sending out applications and hearing nothing is demoralizing, but I'm trying to keep my head up. It's going to all work out in the end.

      Delete
  13. WOW! you have created a huge list of items for gift ideas. I am amazed at how you spend your time finding all these perfect ideas for people to use. Weldone.

    ReplyDelete
  14. These are great!! I totally found several new-to-me ideas on here that I love, both for myself and others!!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Back to say I totally just ordered a set of those map magnets for my nieces and nephew in Ireland. Got one with where we live, and one where my parents are- will include a little note reminding them that people from WAY across the ocean are thinking about them! :)

      Delete
    2. I'm glad you found some inspiration. Yay!

      Delete
  15. Oooh I want the shit show and demotivational pens!!!

    Frickin jobs. Frick 'em all.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Those pens make me laugh so much. I am going to order them and just give everyone I know one of them. LOL.

      Delete
  16. OMG that pet portrait necklace is just the sweetest gift ever. I am bookmarking that for lots of people! I also love the wizard soap!

    My stockings are on stuck on the wall with thumbtacks, haha. No mantles here!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Oh that slingshot. Instantly in love. But there are other good ideas too. Of course I am seeing after christmas...

    ReplyDelete
  18. Darn it! I am too late - I would have totally gone in on the Wet Brush multipack with you. Also, those pens are everything.

    ReplyDelete