Wednesday, October 09, 2024

The Reformatory by Tananarive Due

Other Tananarive Due books:
My Soul to Keep

I listened to the audiobook of The Reformatory by Tananarive Due because it fulfills the horror book by a BIPOC author prompt for the Pop Sugar Reading Challenge. Have you noticed that I'm reading a lot of books for that challenge recently? Well, it's because I am way behind and don't know if I'm going to be able to finish the challenge before the end of the year. I still have fifteen books to go to finish. I guess that's five books a month and if I buckle down and focus on it, I can pull this off. 

Twelve-year-old Robert Stephens, Jr. is sentenced to six months at Gracetown School for Boys for kicking a white boy who was hitting on his sister. Robbie soon learns that the ghosts he sees around the reformatory are not nearly as dangerous as the people who work there. 

Gracetown School for Boys is loosely based on the Dozier School for Boys and Robbie was very loosely based on a distant relative of the author. Honestly I wanted this book to be spookier than it was. It was horrifying knowing that the abuse the boys received was based on real events, but if the author was going to raise the issue of Robbie seeing ghosts, I sort of wanted the ghosts to be scarier. Maybe it was a good metaphor that the real danger is in actual living human beings, but I just wanted a bit more ooomph. 

Also, a whole lot of this book was not set at the school, but it followed Robbie's older sister as she tried to get his sentence lowered and, to be honest, the sister's story was a bit boring. I don't know. I wanted to like this, but I thought The Nickel Boys by Colson Whitehead was a better book with similar source material (although, to be clear, the Whitehead is NOT horror). 

I don't know. Should you read it? I think that depends on your interest in this topic. I did enjoy starting the month of October with this one, though.  4/5 stars

Line of note: 

But mama had been able to cuss people out using the politest words possible clenched between her teeth and in that moment Gloria had sounded just like her. (timestamp 7:25:22)

Ha ha ha. Haven't we all given the equivalent of the middle finger in a polite tone?

Hat mentions (why hats?):

...fixed on his hat to block the sun. (timestamp 1:03:56)

tipped his hat (timestamp 2:01:36)

Younger boys wore smaller paper hats...(timestamp 3:07:24)

As Boone pointed out the hook with Robert's apron and paper hat...(timestamp 3:08:11)

...apron and hat..(timestamp 3:09:40)

...a white boy in a chef's hat and an apron...(timestamp 3:15:28)

fishing hat (timestamp 7:02:08)

...took off his hat to wave with it...(timestamp 7:03:25)

bright red hat (timestamp 7:47:44)

tipped his hat (timestamp 8:11:18)

took off his hat (timestamp 8:20:43)

glamourous hat (timestamp 8:42:26)

take off his hat (timestamp 8:53:49)

pillbox hat (timestamp 9:29:23 and again at 9:56:18)

took off his hat (timestamp 10:04:57)

put his hat back on (timestamp 10:07:09)

in my hat box (timestamp 11:32:03)

brim of his hat (timestamp 11:49:25)

took off his hat (timestamp 11:51:18)

tipped an imaginary hat (timestamp 15:35:08)

the slant of his cowboy hat (timestamp 15:52:50)

knocked his hat back on his head (timestamp 15:54:39)

He took off his hat...(timestamp 16:35:22)

wearing a western-style hat (timestamp 19:44:15)

tipped his chef's hat (timestamp 20:41:25)

stylish hats (timestamp 20:41:45)

hat canted to one side (timestamp 20:44:17)

********************

Can you imagine a new reader stumbling upon this blog and wondering why on earth I have a giant list of hat mentions? Hi, new readers! I'm neurotic, that's why!

Have you ever read Tananarive Due? Do you have other suggestions for BIPOC horror authors? There doesn't seem to be a ton of them. 

14 comments:

  1. I read Tananarive Due's The Between years ago - spent money for the hardcover, which was unusual for me at that age and income level - and loved it. The Good House I also thought was amazing, and I liked the series about the immortal husband. I was in the middle of this one when the ebook disappeared because it expired and I have not been in a hurry to re-borrow it, for the reasons you stated. I think I have read some BIPOC horror lately - I will check Goodreads when I get home.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I did not love the immortal husband book, but I appreciate what Due is trying to do. I have heard about The Good House, but the wait times for it from my library are so long!

      Delete
  2. Okay, I Googled and here are a few I liked: The Changeling and Lone Women by Victor Lavalle, Out There Screaming, anthology edited by Jordan Peele, Jackal by Erin Adams, My Sister the Serial Killer by Oyinkan Braithwaite (also not as scary as I wanted, though), Fledgling by Octavia Butler, White Smoke by Tiffany D. Jackson (YA). I also read a YA anthology called the Black Girl Survives in This One, but it was quite uneven. You're definitely right that there aren't a ton of them, I try to support them whenever I find one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. OH! I should have specified that I'm trying to mostly read women, too. I read The Changeling for book club one month and there are still people in my book club who are scarred from it. LOL. Tiffany Jackson is a good pull. Interesting that this genre is so hard. I'll have to keep any eye out for any up and coming authors.

      Delete
    2. I just remembered Come Closer by Sara Gran - odd, but creative, and not un-scary.

      Delete
    3. Duly noted. I still have to read a zillion more books for this challenge and then maybe I can read more horror.

      Delete
  3. That is a lot of hats! No, I've never read this because I don't usually read horror. Actually, I never read horror but I'm open to starting if the right book comes along.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't think this is the place to start! LOL.

      Delete
  4. I had to look up the Pop Sugar Reading Challenge, and wow - those are some interesting prompts! I can't remember when I first found your blog, but I do remember all the mentions about hats and thinking, "This is a person I want to get to know!"
    I haven't read this book or much of anything in the horror genre. Ghosts are not my thing! Unless they're cute!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I worry so much that new readers are going to think I'm a weirdo with the hat thing because even the explanatory post isn't very explanatory. Maybe I need to write an explanation as a sidebar.

      The Ghost in the House by Sara O'Leary is a ghost story, but it's not scary. I'd like to find more books like that. Sheets by Brenna Thummler? There's a cute ghost in that graphic novel.

      Delete
  5. I'm blown away at the number of hats mentioned and how dedicated you are to listing all of them. Your hat notes always remind me of the busy corner we passed on the way to Irish dancing class when I was a kid and we were always able to find someone on the street corner wearing a hat. I'm sure I told you that before. I don't read horror. Years ago I read a book with a ghost in it and this is decades before internet and I didn't know who to ask to get good books recommended to me. This wasn't a good book. It was just odd. Good luck finishing your challenge.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am not obsessive about hats in my "real life," but I can't imagine that my readers don't know that. LOL. Although I do find myself paying attention if someone says hat in podcast or news report. It's a very strange tic I've created for myself.

      I don't read horror much myself. I either say it's not scary enough for me (like this one) or I say it's too scary and I am never happy. That's a me problem, so I don't read it much because I know that even the best book probably wouldn't satisfy exactly what I want.

      Delete
  6. Look at all the hats!

    What about Stephen Graham Jones? I can't recall if you've read any of his books. My husband loves horror and really enjoyed The Only Good Indians. I liked My Heart Is a Chainsaw because the main character was so well-drawn, although the story dragged a bit in places for me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, I've never heard of Stephen Graham Jones. I'll look into him!

      Delete