Wednesday, October 23, 2024

Dolly Parton Songteller: My Life in Lyrics by Dolly Parton

There is a prompt for the Pop Sugar Reading Challenge that is an autobiography by a woman in rock 'n' roll and there is exactly nothing about this prompt that gets me excited. I know, I know - Just Kids is great! everyone says. But I have a thing about excessive alcohol and drug use and I was not excited about this prompt. So I convinced myself that Dolly Parton Songteller would fit the brief well enough. 

I listened to the audiobook, which was nice because occasionally she'd break into song. 


In this "book," Robert K. Germann (who is never properly introduced in the book) asks Parton some questions and she answers by telling anecdotes. That's the structure. And, just like a few years ago when I listened to the podcast Dolly Parton's America, I got all pissy when Parton acts like being called a feminist or an LGBTQ ally is the worst thing in the world. I KNOW people love Parton and I do love her music, but every time I listen to these interviews with her, I get IRATE. IRATE.

(While we're on this topic, let's talk about the Garth Brooks situation. Fact #1: I'm a pretty big Brooks fangirl. Fact #2: He's been accused of some pretty gross sexual assault allegations. So I'm in a tough spot right now. Either I don't believe this women, which feels terrible, or I do and then my fandom, including several items of merchandise, several concert tickets, and literal dozens of album purchases feels terrible. I feel like I'm in a bad spot about this and if you see me in person, please don't ask about it. Also, if you see me alone in my car, chances are pretty good I'm listening to Brooks music. Don't be mad at me. I'm confused.)

But, whatever. Regardless of what she says in order not to piss of her Republican contingent of fans, she is a feminist and an ally. Whatever. This was fine. 3/5 stars

Here are my Top 10 Dolly Parton songs in order of date she published them. 

"Last Thing On My Mind" (1967) - duet with Porter Wagoner

"Joshua" (1971) 

"Coat of Many Colors" (1971)

"Jolene" (1973)

"Me and Little Andy" (1977)

"9 to 5" (1980) - This was the first song the DJ played at our wedding to get the dancing started. Now you know what sort of party we hosted.

"Islands in the Stream" (1983) - duet with Kenny Rogers

"Why'd You Come In Here" (1989) - Honestly, I thought this came out in the 1990s. 

"Rockin' Years" (1990) - duet with Ricky Van Shelton

"The Grass is Blue" (1999) - I thought this came out like ten years ago. LOLOLOL. 

Yesterday, I was in the grocery store with my husband when "Don't Fall in Love with a Dreamer" by Kenny Rogers and Kim Carnes came on and I was belting it out, pretending a can of pumpkin was a microphone (true story) and my husband just stared at me. Apparently he didn't know that song. Maybe I'm a Kenny Rogers superfan and didn't realize it?  I don't know. Also, my husband tapped out after "Jolene" and "I Will Always Love You" in naming Dolly Parton songs. How did I marry this man?

****************

What's your favorite Dolly Parton song? 

25 comments:

  1. I'm here to defend your husband. I adore Dolly but I would be hard pressed to name her songs. I just don't listen to music that much.

    Listen it's a confusing world and people do confusing things. Good music is good music!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, I don't listen to music very much either. I'm much more likely to listen to a podcast or audiobook. In our older car, though, CDs or the radio are my only option, so I listen to old school country and it's fun to be retro.

      Delete
  2. Didn't Dolly Parton just give something like one million dollars for hurricane relief? I'll forgive her for her silliness in other matters. And, I'll give you a pass on the Garth Brooks thing. I mean, JK Rowling is my favorite author so I can't be talking.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. YES! Actually Dolly and JK are both huge philanthropists. Say what you want about other things about them, they do put their money where their mouths are.

      Delete
    2. We benefit from the dolly Parton books program where she partners with libraries to send books to kids under 5 every month. This program is amazing and really gets us reading increasingly challenging books to our kids - it's hard to know what's age appropriate for toddlers so I really appreciate this program.

      Delete
    3. Yes, her book program has been so successful! It's really fantastic.

      Delete
  3. I suppose, considering her genre, that much of her fanbase would be rather rightwing. I hope Garth Brooks isn't circling down the Bill Cosby drain.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ugh. I hope I don't have to put Brooks in the Cosby part of my brain. It would make me reallllly sad.

      Delete
  4. I'm not a fan of Dolly Parton's music because I really, really dislike country music. It makes me crabby.

    BUT--I've always been a fan of Dolly Parton the Person. She knows exactly who she is and she isn't a phony. She's upfront about her wigs and whatever she's done to augment her appearance. She gave a million dollars toward the development of a COVID vaccine; she gives millions of dollars in free books to kids; she gave another million (or more) toward hurricane relief. And that's just the stuff I know about. I admire honest and genuine people who use their time and money for Good.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, she's a philanthropist for sure. I just wish she also talked the talk, you know? Oh, well. I think her "not a phony" stance is a bit phony, to be honest. Every word she says is geared towards not offending anyone, and, ironically, it ends up pissing me off. LOLOLOL.

      Delete
  5. I was never really a Garth Brooks fan but I love Dolly Parton. Separating art from artist is tricky one, isn't it? I can relate to the annoyance tinged with despair. Sigh.

    My current favourite Dolly Parton song is her duet with Bebe Rexha: Seasons. Their combined voices? Very complimentary. Who new Bebe might be the next Dolly Parton? IMO, thumbs way up.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love that Dolly works with new (and frequently young) artists. She's really a great mentor for a lot of artists.

      Delete
  6. I think Dolly can be considered a rock n roll artist; didn't she just put out a rock album?

    At any rate, I love Dolly. She seems to be such a kind, considerate and generous person. I've never heard a whisper against her.

    I am also a Garth fan - whether or not the allegations are true; I guess we'll never know for sure. But it seems to me that he put his career on hold to put his children first; which lends to the appearance of being a wholesome family man.

    But yes, the conundrum is still there...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't even really like to think about the Garth Brooks situation. *sigh* It's too hard for my poor brain.

      Delete
  7. I'm similar to Birchie and your husband. I like Dolly's music, generally speaking, but would have a hard time naming more than 2 songs. That is disappointing to hear about her views on feminism and LBGTQ allyship. I wish I could unknow things about a whole lot of people... I do like what Dolly has done for literacy. She gives out a lot of books to kids across the US and maybe beyond!

    Also a bummed about Garth although I haven't listened to his music in such a long time. I was very into it in the 90s/early aughts, though!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, Parton is a really great philanthropist and she has great programs. You'll never hear me say anything bad about that!

      Delete
  8. I like Dolly's music, but I can't say I'm a superfan like you! Same for Garth. When we visited Los Angeles some time ago, we went to The Tonight Show with Jay Leno and Garth Brooks was a guest. But he was in his phase of not singing (he's been through a few odd phases, hasn't he?) and he didn't sing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, he's been in and out of retirement. Hey, I can't fault him for wanting a work/life balance.

      Delete
  9. Not surprisingly, I was unaware of the Garth situation. I sometimes live under a rock. That is sad and I understand how you feel conflicted. In general, I don't know much about musicians. It's like a chip I'm missing. I swear I was born this way. I'm gathering book ideas for my book club later tonight and I was hoping that you'd love this one, so I could suggest it. I'd like to come up with a good memoir to suggest to the group. I don't know why, but for some reason Jolene grates on my nerves. So much. I like some of her other songs. My mom listened to a lot of Kenny when I was a kid and I always like his music.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I honestly didn't know I was a Kenny superfan, but when we went to a Kenny concert several years back, I felt like I was on the only one in the audience who knew the songs!

      Delete
  10. It's tough when people (celebrities) you admire don't live up to your moral expectations. My wife was devastated upon learning about Meatloaf's politics. You just have to separate the artist from the art...not always easy, I know.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. But I don't "just have to separate the artist from the art," right? I can stop consuming the work of predators? I have a big long list of artists I no longer support. If we're in a capitalistic society and the only way I can show my displeasure is through my dollars and time, I can do that. And I do.

      Delete
    2. Of course. That goes without saying!

      Delete
  11. Ooooo, I always love a Top Ten list and we're getting towards the end of the year when this genre of lists abound. There are a few new-to-me songs in your list. I will try to make a list- not sure if I can get 10...[I did...but it includes a few DP +1s]
    10. My Tennessee Mountain Home
    9. The Last Thing On My Mind (w/Porter Wagoner)
    8. Here You Come Again
    7. Wildflowers (w/ Linda Ronstadt and Emmylou Harris)
    6. Islands in the Stream
    5. Faith (feat Mr. Probz)
    4. Light of a Clear Blue Morning
    3. I Will Always Love You
    2. Jolene
    1. Why'd You Come In Here Looking Like That

    I will be interested in seeing what happens with the GB case. I have no problem cutting out artists from my playlist who are found guilty but for some reason, his extortion explanation seems to plausible. So, I'm holding off for now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've never even heard of Faith. Looking it up right now!

      Delete