Wednesday, September 11, 2024

The Face of a Stranger (William Monk #1) by Anne Perry


The Face of a Stranger by Anne Perry is the first in her very successful 24-book series William Monk. It's set in Victorian London and police detective William Monk is involved in a carriage accident that leaves him without a memory of who he is. He's assigned to the murder of Joscelin Grey, a Crimean war hero when he gets out of the hospital. We learn more and more about Monk as he tries to unravel what happened to Grey, as well as what happened to him the night of his accident. 

Look, this book is a snooze. I had it for the entire 21-days of my Libby loan because I'd read three paragraphs and fall asleep. It was GREAT as a soporific and if you're having trouble sleeping, might I recommend this book to you?  It was only 345 pages long, but if you had asked me, I would have said it was around 700, so it was that sort of thing. 

I read this book, though, because one of the Pop Sugar Reading Challenge prompts this year is a book written by an incarcerated or formerly incarcerated person and have any of you heard of Anne Perry? She was a super successful author, who wrote the Thomas and Charlotte Pitt series of books, as well as this William Monk series of historical detective fiction.

BUT! When she was sixteen, she helped murder the mother of her best friend in New Zealand. After serving five years for murder, she was released and moved back to the UK where she was originally from and changed her name. It was not widely known that Anne Perry was Juliet Hume the murderer until a 1994 movie came out about the murder. She continued to be a successful author of (imo really boring) murder mysteries

What a story. 

2/5 stars

Lines of note:

...he knew nothing. It was a total and paralyzing disadvantage. He did not even know who loved or hated him, whom he had wronged, or helped. (page 6) 

It's kind of crazy to think about what it would be like if you woke up one day and literally had no memory of who you were, what you looked like, or anything. I can't really engage in this type of hypothetical thinking.

It is one of the finest things in life to be truly useful...(page 174)

I feel this deeply in my soul.

...he had ever known the purpose of the war in the Crimea he had forgotten it now. (page 201)

In light of what's going on in Ukraine right now, this seems very on the nose. 

“Sorrows do not wait for one another.” (page 218)

When it rains, it pours, right?

Stuff I looked up:

Monk settled himself into a vacant seat opposite a large woman in black bombazine with a fur tippet around her neck (in spite of the season) and a black hat on at a fierce angle. (page 73) - Bombazine is a type of fabric and a tippet is a piece of clothing worn over the shoulders in the shape of a scarf or cape. 

plain stuff dress (page 80) - In Victorian dressmaking terminology, stuff was used as a generic term for woven fabrics, with cloth generally reserved for woollens (as opposed to worsteds).

redan (page 147) - an arrow-shaped embankment forming part of a fortification

Hat mentions:

He was a big man, or he appeared so in the caped coat and top hat of Peel’s Metropolitan Police Force. (page 5)

Runcorn had left for him his Peeler’s coat and tall hat, carefully dusted off and mended after the accident.

The cabby hesitated, then took one of the sixpences and the halfpenny, tipped his hat and slapped the reins across his horse’s rump, leaving Monk standing on the pavement. (page 10)

“Usual things you might expect to see, stand for coats and things, and hats, rather a nice stand for sticks, umbrellas and so forth, box for boots, a small table for calling cards, nothing else." (page 34)

"A natural night for anyone to ’ave ’is coat turned up an’ ’is ’at drawn down." (page 55)

"Same coat, and ’at, same size, same ’eight. Weren’t no one else like that lives ’ere.” (page 55) 

Runcorn turned from the hat stand and smiled fully at him, his eyes bright. (page 119)

Would hats be larger or smaller? (page 149)

Rosamond spoke with the eldest girl, and took the wide pink ribbon off her own hat and gave it to her, tying it around the child’s hair to her shy delight. (page 175)

...but Monk was outside and going down the stairs for his hat and coat. (page 287)

...in a swirl of agitation, swinging her skirts around as she swept into the hallway and deposited a basket full of linen on the settle at the bottom of the stairs and took off her hat. (page 291)

14 comments:

  1. Did you say 25? I have read both Pitt and Monk in the past. I think I lost interest more than 15 years ago. Perry had the habit of sudden and surprise endings. I remember one ending, Pitt I think, in which the perp turned out to be the vicar's wife although she had hardly been mentioned all through. All of these years later, we still refer to such endings as The Vicar's Wife!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Twenty-four books in the Monk series. I have no idea how anyone dipped back in after this snoozy one! Good on you for making it through more than one.

      Delete
  2. I have never read any of her books, but I did know the story - I watched the movie Beautiful Creatures but I've never bothered to learn whether she is the Kate Winslet character or the Melanie Lynskey.
    I have two friends right now that are having a 'never rains but it pours' time, and it's terrible to watch (and, I'm sure, worse to endure).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is no fun to be on the sidelines watching someone's life fall apart. The best you can do is be there for them, I guess. Seems like an unsatisfying solution, but it is what it is.

      Delete
  3. I take it you're not going to read the whole series, right? (Based on the score you gave it?) I'd never heard of this author, but all power to them for writing themselves out of a dark place.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I will definitely not be reading anything else from this author. I guess I don't know if I have the same admiration for this person as you do - I sort of think it's a bit disrespectful? I don't know. Maybe your way is the better way to think about it.

      Delete
  4. Well, at least there were a lot of hat mentions! I read something by Anne Perry a long time ago- but I don't remember it and apparently didn't like it enough to continue on with the series. And yes, I've heard that story about her- crazy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Historical fiction is rife with hats. At least that's something I can count on.

      Delete
  5. Oh wow, in my head I had always had Anne Perry and Anne Rice mixed up and thought that it was Anne Rice who involved in the murders. Today I learned.... Not that I've read either of their books.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOLOLOLOL. This is like how I have Elin Hilderbrand (who write fluffy contemporary romances) and Isabel Wilkerson (who writes non-fiction mostly about African-American history and experiences) confused in my head. They are very different authors.

      Delete
  6. What?! Anne Perry was a murderer? I had no idea!! Holy cow. My mind is completely blown. I tried one of her books once - I don't remember which one - and I couldn't get through it, and I never had any interest in trying another. But there are multiple shelves of her books at the library.
    Well, I learned something new today!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. YES!! She was a murderer. Crazy, huh? I actually think the truth is more interesting in this case.

      Delete
  7. I've never heard of her, but I'm blown away by her murder involvement. What on earth? This makes me happy that her book is so boring. I agree with Jenny, at least there were so many hat mentions.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The hat mentions were the only reason I finished. LOL.

      Delete