Sunday, August 11, 2024

20th Anniversary Countdown: Guest Post #17

In celebration of my blog's 20th anniversary, I'm having guest posters every week leading up to the big day. 

Suzanne! She's one of the longest readers of my blog and is a fabulous member of our blogging community. She's a fellow Midwesterner who blogs over at Life of a Doctor's Wife where she touches on all the important issues of the day including what to buy for gifts, how to get a great lemon cake (seriously, Suzanne's disappointment over that cake lives rent free in my head and sometimes I want to make her the perfect lemon cake, but I do not know how to), how hard it is to make phone calls,  and why do we have to make dinner EVERY SINGLE DAY.  She is the voice of our generation.


*******************

Our brilliant and hilarious friend Engie has been blogging for twenty years. What an accomplishment. I have been reading Engie’s blog since – I think – around April of 2010. (That year is the earliest record I can find of her commenting on my blog, so I’m assuming we found each other simultaneously. ) 

There was a long stretch of years in the middle there when I could not comment on Engie’s blog. For some reason, I can only leave a comment if I am using Google Chrome on my computer. But I have been reading, all along, and have loved everything I’ve read, from posts about her pets to her breakdown of what wild assortment of veggies turned up in her CSA to all of her book reviews. (Engie and I have a very narrow band of overlap in the books we like, which I have found delightful both in its intersection and in its divergence.) No matter what she posts, she keeps it real. She is a treasure and so is her blog. 

When Engie asked if I wanted to write a guest post, I was, of course, honored. Then overwhelmed by ideas. Then overcome with writer’s block. How can I possibly write something worthy of such a milestone in the life of a blog I have loved for nearly a decade and a half?!

After considering and discarding many ideas, I decided to revisit the beginning of my own blogging life. I started blogging in 2009 as Life of a Doctor’s Wife. These days I feel like I’ve kind of outgrown that title, and it’s rare that I talk about anything specific to being married to a physician. But for those who are curious about what it’s like to marry into medicine, here are twenty reflections from our life together so far.

1. A Long Beginning: I met my husband when we were juniors in college. At that point, he was studying finance. It was only after we graduated that he decided to pursue medicine. While I was in grad school, he worked retail while taking the additional prerequisites he needed to apply to medical school. You know, organic chemistry, molecular biology. That kind of thing. Then he spent four years in medical school, three years in residency, and three years in a fellowship program before he started practicing in his specialty. WHEW. While he did earn a salary as a medical resident and as a fellow, I was the primary breadwinner in our family for ten years. I have tremendous awe and respect for those physicians who started their families earlier in their training, but when we decided we wanted to expand our family, we waited to do so until he was in the end of his fellowship – hoping that it would work out that our baby would be born during the “easiest” part of his training, and right before his salary increased. We were extremely lucky that it worked out the way it did. My husband was able to time his fellowship rotations so that he was basically “off” for the first few weeks of our daughter’s life, and then he was able to interview for jobs and find a practice to join while she was still very small. 

2. The Uncertainty Factor: One of the most difficult aspects of being married to a physician, in the early years at least, was that we had little to no control over where we might end up – three times (medical school, residency, and fellowship). For me, the residency and fellowship match processes were extremely anxiety-producing. I had zero control over where we ended up. My husband applied to multiple programs each time, all over the country. I remember him taking an interview in [Southern State That I Am Sure Is Very Lovely But Sounded Awful at the Time], and being wracked with apprehension over the possibility of matching there. (The residency program was excellent, which is why he applied in the first place.) And yet, I couldn’t really do anything about that feeling; I was just along for the ride! [Note from NGS: This is much like the academic job market. So stressful!]

For the residency match, I was extremely fortunate that I had a remote job. It turned out that I could no longer be an employee of my company when we moved to a new state, but I was able to negotiate an independent contractor role with the same company which kept our income stable and gave me some continuity during the move. Then, my husband matched into a fellowship program in the same city where he did his residency, which meant that for the first time we’d be living somewhere for longer than four consecutive years! After some time and distance from those life-disrupting events, I can be curious about what our lives would have been like had he matched in Vermont or Alabama or Washington. But I’m very glad it turned out the way it did. 

3. Questions: Pretty much as soon as people find out your spouse is a physician, the questions begin. It doesn’t seem to matter if we’re at a social event or a funeral, chatting with friends over dinner or encountering strangers at a baseball game, at one point or another someone will have a question for my husband. I am always amazed by how open people are with their private medical problems! I don’t know if it’s just that I’m more resistant to sharing personal information with strangers than most people (says the blogger of fifteen years), or that the “doctor” title conveys an instant level of trust, or that my husband just gives off an aura of kindness and willingness to listen, but people will tell him the most personal things you can imagine. I hope this doesn’t come across as derisive; in fact, I feel quite tenderly toward people who are steeped in so much pain or worry over their symptoms that they feel the need to share intimate details with my husband. He never minds; he always listens and gives whatever non-medical-advice suggestions he can.  

What I find most funny is when people ask ME for advice, simply after hearing my husband’s specialty! I have no medical expertise whatsoever!

4. Call: The worst part, for me, about being married to a doctor is call. I would hazard to say it’s one of my husband’s least favorite parts of his profession, too. We are very fortunate in my husband’s specialty. During regular weeks, his days are made up of a combination of procedures and office visits. He typically gets home around six or seven at night. Most of his weekends are off. He values work/life balance, and has built a career that supports this value. We are also fortunate that he has a pretty cushy call schedule. He takes call every six to seven weeks, for a week at a time. 

During a call week, he spends every day in the hospital, rounding on in-patients, performing in- and out-patient procedures, and taking consultations from other physicians in the hospital. The hospital where he takes call is extremely busy and he will often be there for thirteen hours or more. 

When he does get to come home, he’s still on call, so he fields phone calls from the hospital and occasionally must head back into the hospital to perform emergency procedures. 

The patients he sees in the hospital are, naturally, much sicker than the patients he sees in the office every day. The volume of patients plus the nature of their needs means he is extra worried and on edge during call weeks. His schedule is erratic and we don’t see him as often. He’s in the hospital both weekend days, and sometimes he goes to the hospital in the middle of the night. 

Call weeks were much more challenging when our daughter was small, because her needs were higher. But I am still not a fan of them, even now that she’s more independent! 

5. Personal Physician Access: Let’s balance out one of the worst parts of having a physician in the family with one of the best! It’s awesome, especially for a semi-hypochondriac like me, to have a doctor I can consult at any time. My kid has a rash? He’ll check it out. I have a weird clicking noise in my knee? My husband will listen to it and let me know if I need to call my own PCP. He is extremely calm about medical things, has no problem dealing with blood or discussing intestinal issues, and helps balance out my tendency to panic over the slightest medical blip. He does, however, remind me on the regular that such-and-such is not his specialty before he tells me that he doesn’t think XYZ is worth worrying about. [Note from NGS: We always call my FIL, a retired family doctor, to ask if we should go to the ER. It turns out that most of the time the answer is yes.]

6. Mail: We get SO MUCH physician-related mail. I am curious if other professions get quite so much mail targeted to them? I’m not inundated with editing and writing mailings, that’s for sure. A typical mail day has a medical journal or two, a postcard with some sort of job offering on it, and maybe an advertisement for pharmaceuticals related to his work. Most of it goes right in the recycling bin. (Although we do have fun looking at the recruiter postcards and trying to figure out where the job is located. Usually these postcards list the big benefits of the job, like starting salary, call schedule, population, maybe an enticing detail or two about the locale, but they never list the city.) [NGS: I have never received professional-related mail at my home address and my husband rarely gets anything outside of occasional postcards about deadlines for conferences.]

7. Quizzes: My husband does read the journals related to his specialty. Some of them include little quizzes which we sometimes do together. As I have already stated, I have zero medical expertise. But like any longtime fan of ER and House, I am happy to make wild guesses. Once in a while, I get one right!


8. Evidence Based Medicine: This probably falls under the umbrella of having personal physician access, but I love testing theories I hear from friends, other physicians, and, okay, yes, Instagram gurus, against my husband. He is always happy to research the latest supplement for me, or investigate whether a certain diet is really better for you than others, or explore the link between dairy consumption and skin problems. If I get worried about a panicky headline – say, the recent news that Lunchables have concerning levels of lead in them – I know he will look into the evidence and help me decide how to proceed.

9. Conference Travel: Pre-Covid, continuing education was the driver behind many vacations for our family. My husband has to do so many hours of continuing education to maintain his medical license, and attending medical conferences used to be a great way to get CME hours. His hospital system used to pay for him to attend these conferences, and sometimes they were in fun cities we’d never visited: Nashville, Las Vegas, Sacramento. I could buy my own plane ticket, accompany him, and stay in the fancy hotels where the conferences were held. (My father was also a physician, and his annual CME took place at a ski resort, so my family went on a ski vacation every year!) This was a nice perk, but it has mostly petered out since covid hit; my husband’s CME mainly takes place online or locally. (I wonder if the same is true for other hospital systems? Big medical conferences still take place, but we haven’t been to one in years.)

10. Second Fiddle: One of the unexpected negatives of my husband’s career is how bad it makes me feel about myself. This is a me problem, I am well aware. Yet I can’t help but feel like I make such a smaller contribution – to our family, to the world at large – than my husband does. Okay, this bullet is depressing me, so I’m going to move on. [Note from NGS: No offense meant towards your husband and I'm sure he's a swell guy, but he has not given me fabulous blogging content and huge laughs over the last fifteen years, friend. In my world, your contribution to the world is invaluable.]

11. Med Friends: I have always been so grateful when our social network has included other medical families. I’m guessing this is the same whether your partner is a university professor or a police officer or the president of a manufacturing company… it’s just nice to have other people in your life who know the precise challenges you face. I have SO MUCH to be thankful for, and I promise you I am aware of the privileges that come with having a physician spouse. Yet, as with everything, there are downsides, and it’s nice to have a circle of people who understand those, too. My husband and I met another couple right at the beginning of residency, and they became our close friends. I was so glad to have them – the husband and mine could commiserate about their rotations and discuss patient problems, and the wife and I could vent about long hours and sit together at the inevitable residency functions. 

12. Oh, the Stories: When you have medical friends, you hear medical stories. No one is violating HIPAA, but there is a lot of friendly competition over weirdest/most harrowing/most heroic patient encounter. 

13. Patients in the Real World: A lot of family friends see my husband, which I find both gratifying and perplexing. Again, this is clearly a Me Thing, but I think I would have a hard time going to a friend about an intimate medical need. It’s heartening to know that my husband’s reputation and personality make him the right choice for so many people, but it’s still a little jarring when I see someone at a social event and they say, “Oh, I just saw your husband in the office the other day!” I can think of only one friend I’ve ever had who I would want to talk to about private medical stuff. Again, maybe I’m just weird about that kind of thing? [Note from NGS: My FIL had his brother-in-law, my husband's uncle, as a patient. The brother-in-law/uncle had a serious heart condition that landed him in the hospital and ended up with serious surgery, but my FIL could not tell his wife because of HIPAA. There was an awkward moment where someone assumed my MIL knew something and my FIL just shrugged. He literally couldn't tell her!]


14. Dinner Table Conversation: Even before I was a physician’s spouse, back when I was a physician’s daughter, I grew accustomed to random encounters with medical topics. Growing up, we had a wall phone in the kitchen, and my dad would often get calls during dinner. “How far apart are the contractions?” and “how long has he been vomiting?” and a whole range of other topics punctuated our meals. Thank goodness for the advent of cell phones; my husband can take his mealtime calls into another room. But I still overhear all sorts of fun snippets about blood and stool and vomit. 

15. Seeing the Other Side:+ I enjoy having the dual perspective of patient and physician’s spouse, because I think it gives me insight into what it’s like on the side of things. For one thing, I will NEVER be late (if I can help it!) to a doctor’s appointment, because I know how badly that screws things up for the entire day. (Hot tip: If you end up waiting a long time for your appointment, it’s probably not your doctor’s fault.)  I also love to pass on tips I glean from my own doctors – how frustrating it is when a doctor dismisses a concern without explaining why it doesn’t concern them, how much I love when my doctor says “what other questions do you have for me” until I have no questions left, how important a kind and friendly office staff is – to my husband. 

16. Video Games: My husband loves to play video games in his spare time. And I cannot complain about this because playing video games can actually help with his surgical dexterity.

17. Doctors Avoiding Doctors: Are all physicians like this? My husband rarely ever goes to the doctor. Fortunately, he has pretty excellent health… but he should still see a doctor every now and again like the rest of us!  

18. Support System: The absolute most difficult thing about being married to a physician is that I am his support system for some pretty awful stuff. Some days he has patients who are so sick that he’s not sure they will survive the night. Some days he discovers life threatening diseases. I know there are other people whose partners deal with horrible things – police officers, EMTs, military personnel, social workers – and I know that it’s MUCH harder to be those people, facing heartbreak on the frontline. It’s still a challenge to know how to support my husband after he’s just notified someone that they have cancer. I try to listen and offer him comfort and space to process his feelings. I never know if it’s enough. 

19. Jealousy: One of the questions I get most often about being married to a physician is how I deal with feelings of jealousy. This question was more frequent back when he was in medical school, but I still have people curious about it today. I completely understand how jealousy could sneak into a relationship with a physician. The work is so consuming! The physician is interacting with nurses and physicians and patients all the time! And yet, I haven’t found jealousy to be an issue in our relationship. Sure, I miss him from time to time. Sure, sometimes I suffer periods of feeling resentful that I end up doing more [mundane home/parenting task] than he does. But it feels like a normal part of the ebbs and flows of life/relationships/moods than like a burning jealousy of the job. Since I grew up with a physician for a parent, I had a good idea of what I was getting into. And I think it helps that I’m an introvert and like to spend a lot of time alone. Also, as I mentioned earlier, my husband puts a lot of energy into work/life balance, so I never feel like he values The Job over our family.

20. Perception: The last thing I will say about being a doctor’s wife is that I have this constant feeling of disorientation that the cute, goofy 21-year-old I fell in love with is a medical professional. A person who strives to be a kind, knowledgeable, trustworthy champion of his patients’ well-being. A person who makes people feel better, who solves problems, who saves lives. 

****************
Does anyone else have a relative/partner whose job dominates their life in key ways? 

50 comments:

  1. Yay Suzanne!!! I had no idea that you were a doctor's kid as well as a doctor's wife!!! Or that your husband was a finance major turned doc!

    What Engie said about #10 - yes doctors are important but so are blogging friends who think out loud. While yes it is hard to become a doctor it is also a very hard and rare thing to be able to make money from art, which you have done as a writer. How many of us settle for something less (uh ahem, being an accountant). So bravo!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes! Doctor's kid, too! And yes - he was a finance major. All his classmates went into investment banking and he went into medicine!

      Delete
    2. Yeah, I feel like Suzanne needs a pep talk about how important she is in the world!

      Delete
  2. This was fun to read! Nice post Suzanne!! Of note, I get a decent amount of professional type mail at my personal address. Not daily, but frequently. (Namely, job postcard ads from other institutions, nursing newsletter type things, etc.) I think it must have to do with the fact that our profesional nursing or medicine licenses have our home addresses on file, and those addresses must somehow get shared with certain professional lists!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think you're right that there's a lot of list sharing -- my husband gets tons of recruitment emails, too. He even gets recruitment text messages. Must be the membership in some of those professional orgs!

      Delete
    2. I would be upset if work followed me home to my mailbox. LOL. That's what my work mailbox is for!!

      Delete
  3. Wow, Suz! I love that you and Engie have been bloggy friends for so long. I think since before Carla! That's so significant... Your post really took me back... Yes, those early years of physician training and residency are brutal. And I've been referred to as "the doctor's wife" too many times to count too. That feels so 1950s somehow! Usually A or one of the kids will archly inform the speaker that I'm a doctor too (mostly for effect since I'm not a medical doc).

    So to answer your question, my experience is different. It was *my* job that dominated our family's life. Academic jobs in my field are difficult to come by so we upped and moved to Michigan when I finally landed one!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha - yes, it is SO 1950s, isn't it? I think that was one of my motivations for blogging under this blog name, that there seemed to be some unspoken expectations about being "a doctor's wife" that I wasn't sure I fit (or wanted to fit?).

      Academia sounds like such a tremendously challenging field in so many ways! Love that your family is so proud/defensive of your doctor title, and deservedly so!

      Delete
    2. Yes, academia is maaaaybe even worse in some ways because there aren't a lot of jobs in "desirable" locations and those spots are suuuuper competitive. In my experience with my husband's family re: physician training, they had a lot more options for residency than my husband did for his first job. Or his second, to be honest. You really have to want to do it!

      Delete
  4. I loved reading every single word of this! Suzanne is one of my favourite people in the world, and all of this was so interesting. I have never received any mailings on anything to do with the industry my husband (and I, way back when) worked in. Lots of emails, but no physical mail. Also, the jealousy thing had me puzzled a bit. I would never have thought of that in a million years. The constant medical questions, yes, I would have guessed that. We have a friend who is a nurse and who LOVES when she gets medical questions. I feel like I'd get tired of that pretty often, but who knows. When I taught yoga I always got a lot of questions, they would be much less emergent than medical questions though. (what would you do for back pain, etc). I didn't know that it would take 11 years POST undergrad to finish medical training! That's a long haul. I'm sorry you don't feel like you make a strong contribution to the world (#10) but YOU DO. We all love you so much! We all contribute in different ways, some medically, and some not!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The jealousy thing kind of perplexes me too! I think -- and I could be totally misreading it -- is that some people are worried that their doctor partner will be unable to distinguish between a patient and a hottie???? Which, if you are in doctor/patient mode, I feel like it would be Very Difficult to look past those designations, but maybe it happens? I don't know. That's my impression based on questions I've gotten over the years (like, "how do you overlook your husband examining women?", that kind of thing), but again I could be wildly misreading people's concerns!

      Delete
    2. It is weird that some people don't really seem to understand the personal/professional divide. Huh.

      You definitely make a positive contribution to the world and it hurts my heart to see that you don't think you do! Who would even have been reading my blog all those years?!

      Delete
  5. I love LOVE this post. Thank you so much Suzanne for sharing your thoughts, the struggles and the good things of being a physicians wife. It is such a different world of mine and I love these snippets. Definitately very interesting.
    And thank you Engie for providing this space so that we are able to read it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Tobia! I love learning about other people's day-to-day lives, and I'm glad you enjoyed this peek into part of mine. :-)

      Delete
    2. I love how different all these guest posts are. So many viewpoints that I could never provide on my own!

      Delete
  6. I'm loving these guest posts. I'm relatively new to the blogging world so I kind of feel like I came in on the middle of a lot of people's stories. It's nice to get all the details!
    My husband is a musician, which of course is very different from being a doctor. But, it sometimes involves long hours, working at night and on the weekends. He also teaches during the day- when my son was little it felt like we hardly saw him, which was hard. Now it's not quite as bad but we still go through phases where he's not home very much.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is SO hard with young kids! I'm glad he's home more often and/or that it's not quite as hard when he's away these days. I feel like I've adjusted pretty well to call weeks, but that's not to say I LIKE them; I can just endure them more easily, I guess.

      Delete
    2. I have to admit that as a lady without children, I think it would be kind of nice if I had a few days every once in a while where my husband wasn't home much. LOL. Just me and my pets, chilling and getting to eat trash I'd never eat if he was around. I think that says more about me than anything else.

      Delete
  7. I've been reading Suzanne's blog for a while, but I learned a lot today, and enjoyed it so much! In terms of the last point, I have a friend who I've know since we were teenagers who is a doctor, and I find it so disorienting--how can she be a doctor, that's so grown-up and serious! Yes, we are in our 50s and I still think this.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Right?! It is so strange! I think some people get fixed in our minds at a specific age. My brother is a 35-year-old six-foot tall police officer, and yet in my head he is still a scrawny goofy twelve-year-old!

      Delete
    2. This is an interesting phenomenon of people growing up, isn't it?!

      Delete
  8. My husband's dad and stepdad and brother are all doctors ("physicians" we apparently have to say), and my mom and his mom were nurses, so I'm adjacent. I am hoping to phrase this properly so it's funny rather than insulting, but often when we're all together and someone has had an issue, the doctors have been largely useless and it's my pharmacist sister who has saved the day, lol.
    My husband is in tech, and it's not the same, but there are many late nights and a ton of business travel which was tough when the kids were little. He's not so much saving the world as saving the speed of internet porn, though, so I don't even get to feel that kind of pride. The tagging along on a few conferences was definitely fun - he still travels, but I'm waiting for someplace really good like Florence or Hawaii again.
    This was so interesting, especially since I didn't know you in the early days.
    Oh, and the goofy 21yo - that's my brother-in-law, who I've known since he was 11 and he's still so skinny he looks malnourished and very young, and he's a very high-powered cardiologist. The cognitive dissonance is real. AND I would never, ever, ever go to a doctor I knew. Never. We got a friend to do our will, and that was a stretch for me. We have a friend who's a financial advisor and other friends who let him handle their money - noooo, what? He does not get to judge my spending habits, ew.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My cardiologist BIL is absolutely useless in a crisis. He's so reliant on technology that he can't so much as bandage up a bloody knee. But the nurses and the hospitalist are the real cool heads in a time of crisis!!

      I live in a small town and my gynecologist is in my book club and her husband used to volunteer with me. It's literally unavoidable for me to see medical professionals who I don't know in a personal context unless I wanted to go to a practice outside of my small town!

      Delete
  9. This CRACKED ME UP: "He's not so much saving the world as saving the speed of internet porn"

    And yes, I would have SUCH a hard time going to see someone I knew! And yet all these family friends go to my husband -- people who watched him grow up, people who were his friends in school, people who were his neighbors. Apparently it is a big compliment if one of the nursing staff wants you as their doctor, though.

    I grew up in a super small town, though, so it was really common to know your medical professionals in other contexts. My father was the PCP for many of my friends growing up. That's its own kind of weirdness.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow, Suzanne, that was really fascinating to read... I loved to learn more about you and your marriage to a physician. I'd like to second Engie that your worth or value to the world might not be life-saving like your husband's might be sometimes, but I've really enjoyed getting to know you.

    P.S. You've been to Sacramento? If you ever visit again, I'd like to meet you :) JUST FYI.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh definitely, San! It would be so fun to meet you!!!

      Delete
    2. San, you need to a Midwest tour and then ALL OF US could meet you!

      Delete
  11. I love this, SO INTERESTING. I really enjoyed the glimpses into this aspect of your life.

    Dealing with that whole 'call' week sounds like a pain in the butt. I think I would make that Ham Sandwich week every time.

    #10 made me sad. I know you know that there are so many ways of being valuable in this world. So many of us love you and your blog, and are thankful for you. And, nothing against your husband, I know he's saved lives and everything, but honestly he hasn't done anything for ME. ;)

    I also have trouble commenting on Engie's blog, I can only do it on one computer in my house. True for lots of blogspot blogs, which means that I often read on my ipad but don't remember to comment. :(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, Ham Sandwich week indeed! We definitely get a little lax in the meals department on those weeks.

      I feel kind of invigorated in the meal planning realm right now, but who knows how long it will last? I will be in Ham Sandwich mode before we know it!

      Delete
    2. I feel resentful of all the people who have trouble commenting on Blogger. Hey, Blogger, why are you so difficult?! I guess I could fix that by switching from Blogger, but I've been here for twenty years, so...I'm probably not going to change that.

      Delete
  12. This was fun to read! I think you need to give yourself far more credit for your contributions to your family, though. You've been the primary parent to your daughter and that is a HARD FREAKING JOB. You are ALWAYS ON CALL. There is NO DAY OFF. Yes, all caps. I know your husband has a hard, demanding job but he couldn't do what he does and have a child if it wasn't for you! So pat yourself on the back!

    Also, your lemon birthday cake story also lives rent-free in my head. I actually thought of you last night when I was reading "Mrs. Quinn's Rise to Fame" which is about a 77yo woman who decides to try to go on "British Bakes" which is basically the Great British Baking Show. She mentions lemon curd at one point and I immediately thought of you!

    Your comments at the beginning about the timing of Carla's birth made me think of my good friend/running partner and former neighbor. She had their first child early on during her fellowship. So I think she went back to her fellowship at 6 weeks. She's a pediatric urologist which is a surgical specialty (like your husband's is, I believe) so she was operating on people when she was 6 weeks post-partum. Can you even imagine???

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I cannot imagine that! Wow! My first reaction to that is, "Some people are superhuman!" but I suppose what I really mean is, "Wow, birth and motherhood affect different people so differently!"

      I feel a little guilty that my whining about lemon cake has affected you and Engie! But I am happy to come to mind when you think of lemon curd, lol. YUM.

      Delete
    2. Your disappointment with that cake was so palpable. If I ever wrote something that memorable, I'd talk about it forever.

      Delete
    3. Well my friend said she felt completely delirious so I think she was really struggling but had no choice but to continue on with her fellowship... It was definitely not really her choice per se to go back to the fellowship at 6 weeks... I cannot imagine that, though!

      Delete
  13. It was so cool to find out more about you, Suzanne! I think it takes a very special person to marry a doctor, and you offer so much more than you realize! Thank you for writing this guest post!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Suzanne is one of the best people on the internet!

      Delete
  14. How fun! I never knew about a lot of these things about you, Suzanne! Or about your husband.

    I think the jealousy thing may just be that too many people are watching Grey's Anatomy, where all of the attendings are sleeping with the residents etc. I am sure that there are some office romances in the hospital, but I doubt it is as rampant as they make it out to be! And as for patients, have they never heard of the doctor-patient relationship? Also, like you said, you're a introvert, so you're probably not jealous of him being around people all day. That sounds exhausting!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, that is such a smart point, Kyria! Maybe it is all the hospital shows on television. It's not all like it's portrayed on television.

      Delete
  15. OMG #20 - my brother is a doctor, and that's wild to me because he was a terrible student, dropped out of college to be a software engineer, and my parents despaired over him. But then he decided to be a doctor and went back to school and did it. But in my head, he's still my slacker brother. Yet on the other hand, I'm really grateful that I can call him when I have questions and when my 4 year old fell and hit her head while we were visiting him, he came with me to the hospital and was hugely reassuring.
    I love reading Suzanne's blog. She puts into words all the things I find perplexing and consuming in life even thought I don't want to admit it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The story about your brother is so inspirational, Diane. You can do all sorts of things in your 20s and still be a successful human being!

      Delete
  16. This was so much fun to read about, Suzanne! I learned so much! I can understand that it may be difficult to see your worth when your husband is literally saving lives, but this world needs all kinds of people and as someone who feels very seen when I read your blog, I am really glad you are in this blogging world of ours!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, Stephany, this is such a sweet statement and really captures how I feel about Suzanne, too. She brings such important things to our little community!

      Delete
  17. This has been a fun way to get to know more about Suzanne. I knew she'd been blogging for a long time and I knew what her husband does, but she raises a good point about knowing a man as a college guy then seeing him evolve into a respected professional can be a bit disconcerting. Similar story for me, only in my case the husband is a lawyer.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sometimes I see my husband in a professional setting (he's chair of an important committee and I get to go to committee meetings as a part of my job duties) and it is sort of hard for me to grapple with the fact that the man I live with is the same man who is super serious and responsible. Crazy how much we code switch in our lives.

      Delete
  18. What a fun interview/post from Suzanne. I learned quite a few things here and some stuff I never even thought about: Doctors going to the Doctor?
    "In my world, your contribution to the world is invaluable." This is possibly the sweetest thing I've ever read and it filled my heart.
    #20---so funny. Suzanne knew him when he was just a kid figuring it all out and now, he's the one people come to for help. I understand this all too well and that is one of the best things about growing up (and growing old) with your significant other; you can still see the kid in them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It hurt my heart to think Suzanne doesn't think her role is important because it is! I hope all blogging friends know that I truly appreciate them! Community builders are so important in this modern world.

      Delete
  19. This was a great post. I find much of it relatable since Coach is a PT. I get texts and questions at times from friends, as in - Do you think PT will help, or What do you think Coach would say? I'm not a PT and I don't play one on TV. I do know that he is happy to recommend a surgeon to someone for their specific injury/limb, etc. The Hippa stuff - sometimes a patient of his will be offended when they see me in the grocery store: Didn't Coach tell you I was getting PT? Um, no. Like he can't. My Coach also rarely goes to the doctor. I so enjoy buying a plane ticket to fly with him to a nice warm place in the winter when he teaches continuing ed in warm places when I can get away. He is back to traveling and teaching out of state. My Coach is not great with names and he treats people in his clinic just 7 minutes from our home, so he bumps into patients a lot. He might struggle to introduce me, because he doesn't know their name - BUT, he is good at asking, "Hey buddy, how's the knee?" He remembers their hurt part. ;) I'm now so grateful that we don't have call weeks to cope with.

    I love Engie's feedback about how you contribute to the community. Well said.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. People do get offended when you don't know your spouse saw them as a patient! I had no idea this was so common in the medical field. I guess it's true that most people don't understand HIPAA at all!

      Delete
  20. Suzanne, I loved these insights into your life. I don't know why it took me SO LONG to get to your blog, but I absolutely love your posts and, like Engie, my life would be a much less enjoyable one without them.
    Just had to share this one as a daughter of a now-retired physician (and now-retired nurse; they met on a blind date, not on the job, LOL): Paying for bras in college with my credit card (I think it had a $200 limit, and was also a *calling card*!) and the woman taking the card looked at my name and said, "Oh, you must be Dr. ***'s daughter! He's a wonderful doctor. Please say hello for me."
    Cue beet-red face. The bra department, of all places. Sigh. ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, man, my SIL was checking out a grocery store (not embarrassing, I don't think) and the cashier asked if my SIL was related to the Dr. LastName who was a cardiologist. My SIL admits that's he's her BIL. The cashier goes on and on about how great Dr. LastName is and my SIL and I don't happen to share that evaluation on a personal level and it was bugging my SIL, so she finally just said "well, his brother is pretty great, too" and headed off. I sometimes wonder what the cashier thought of the entire exchange.

      Delete