Sunday, July 21, 2024

20th Anniversary Countdown: Guest Post #14

In celebration of my blog's 20th anniversary, I'm having guest posters every week leading up to the big day. 

I feel like San doesn't need an introduction, but for those of you who aren't following her, here goes. She is originally from Germany, but lives in California now with her husband. She is the poster child for having a Peloton, makes delicious food, and has a fascinating job as a geographer who does both fieldwork and data analysis. She blogs over at The In Between Is Mine and she is the organizational guru who has kept a vibrant blogging community alive through continuing NaBloPoMo (National Blog Posting Month) and doing an annual Secret SANta Swap. I don't have any favorites in the blogosphere, of course, but San is definitely a favorite.  

Let's welcome her!


******************


I am so excited to be part of Engie’s blogiversary celebration and thrilled to be featured on her blog (which was ‘born’ the same year as mine). It’s so fantastic to know another blogger who has stuck out the highs and lows of blogging over the years and still finds joy and value in keeping this personal online diary (with the benefit of an amazing blogging community to boot). Happy Blogiversary, Engie!

The first few things that probably come to mind if you know me already and read my blog are “NaBloPoMo, Peloton, and my crazy workout schedule” (which in honesty doesn’t feel so crazy to me, but I can see how it looks crazy to others.) 

I like to joke that I don’t have any other hobbies (which is a complete and utter lie, by the way), so working out takes up a lot of my time because I choose to make it a priority, and because I enjoy it, I’d like to add. I know I am lucky that way. I am also ambitious and always up for a challenge, although not really competitive (other than with myself).  

I am a positive and optimistic person and like to put positive spins on everything. Don’t worry, I am not one of those annoying overly positive people who just throw around glitter and sunshine (although a little glitter can never hurt). I know how to kick, scream, and wallow a good amount, I don’t believe in “everything happens for a reason" (because it doesn’t, don’t @ me), but in the end, my ‘half-glass-full’ mentality usually prevails. 

Mantras and motivational quotes are not everybody’s thing and they can be corny and eye-roll-inducing (believe me, some of them do that to me too), but surprisingly, I’ve also come across quite a few that I “needed to hear” and that I employ and rely on regularly during my workouts. 

I thought I’d share my 20 favorite mantras/motivational quotes that I use or remind myself of during exercise, but I feel that some also apply to everyday life. Many of them, you’ll not be surprised, I’ve heard from Peloton instructors. They might not have originally created them. Some are just phrases that anybody could have come up with, I guess (who can claim ownership of a string of words?) but some are credited to certain people. Either way, I hope you find some nuggets of wisdom here and think of them as inspirational too. 

1) I don’t have to, I get to. (Jess Sims, Peloton Instructor)

This might be my #1 mantra. Whenever I struggle or feel unmotivated, I try to remind myself what a privilege it is to move my body. It's not something I take for granted.

2)  The hardest part is - check done, you showed up today. (Jess Sims, Peloton Instructor)

If you have wondered how to get into a workout routine and stick with it, this is it. You just commit to showing up for yourself. (Another favorite mantra that hits the same spot, “Keep showing up”.) Sometimes, it’s only 10 minutes, but just showing up and getting started is half the battle. Usually, after you get started, you follow through with the rest of your workout. Or you don’t, but you will never regret showing up, even for only 10 minutes. [Note from NGS: I have certainly regretted showing up for workouts, but I get it.]


3) Run the mile you’re in. (Ryan Hall, Olympian and American Half Marathon record holder)

Have you ever been out on a run and felt like it was never going to end? Well, here’s a thought: break up your run into small chunks. I always tell myself that I can run “one more mile”. And then, I just reiterate that at the end of every mile until I am done. It seems silly, but it seems to work for me. 

4) I can do hard things. (Jess Sims, Peloton Instructor)

When I struggle through a workout (or I find myself in a tough situation), this is the mantra I repeat in my head: I can do hard things because I've done hard things before.

5) Start where you are. Use what you have. Do what you can. (Arthur Ashe, tennis player)

It's hard to not compare yourself to others (we all do it now and then), but I try to remind myself that everybody is at a different stage on their own journey.

6) Beat yesterday. (Garmin).

You might be surprised that I am not a very competitive person. I mainly compete with myself and my goal always is to "beat yesterday".

7) If you can’t get out of it, get into it. (Denis Morton, Peloton Instructor)

A simple shift in your mindset and attitude can make a huge difference and help you get through a hard situation. If you can't get out of it, commit mentally to getting through it. It usually helps me.

8) Allow yourself to be uncomfortable. (Alex Toussaint, Peloton Instructor)

We’re so used to seeking out comfort and instant gratification in modern society that we forget that achieving things sometimes takes time and perseverance and that it might be uncomfortable for a little while. (But just remember how glorious you’ll feel afterward!)


9) Drink as you pour. (Chelsea Jackson Roberts, Peloton Yoga Instructor)

This sounds like straight out of a self-care book (or the flight manual where they tell you to put on your oxygen mask first before helping others), right? It's good advice though. Self-care and rest are just as important as doing things for others. [Note from NGS: I have no idea what this means. Please explain it to me like I'm five.]

10) If you need to take an emotional lap, take an emotional lap. (Adrian Williams, Peloton Instructor)

Adrian often calls this out after a hard workout block, but isn’t it so true for life though? If you need a moment to breathe, just step away and do just that (and literally take an emotional lap around the living room, if it helps. I know that walking around helps me sometimes.) 

11) Athletes don’t exercise and diet. They train and fuel. (Matt Wilpers, Peloton Instructor)

I love, love, love that statement. For me it completely takes away the negative associations of “exercise and diet culture” and emphasizes a positive relationship with our bodies, the fact that we’re working with our bodies and conditioning them to be and do what we want them to do. [Note from NGS: Clearly I am not an athlete. LOL. I definitely exercise.]

12) Remember when you wished for what you have right now? (Robin Arzon, Peloton Instructor)

How is that for a little bit of perspective? We often are so goal-focused on things in the future that we forget to look at the progress that we have already made and celebrate those little milestones along the way.

13) What you’re not changing, you’re choosing. (Denis Morton, Peloton Instructor)

I am guilty of being a bit “indecisive” sometimes and this is a good reminder that not making a decision is a decision in itself. Think about if the consequences of a non-decision are the outcome that you want. 

14) Use your whole ass. (Jess King, Peloton Instructor)

Ok, this one is funny, right? I might have snorted the first time I heard it. You know how we say that people “half-ass” things? Well, if you decide to do something, do it right. Use your whole ass. And I couldn’t agree more. 


15) Being ready is a decision, not a feeling. (Jess Sims, Peloton Instructor)

If you wait around to be ready, some things are never going to happen. Decide to be ready for whatever is in front of you and tackle it with intention. 

16)  Shut up legs [or insert other words of choice here], you’re fine. (Unknown)

Sometimes we just have to give ourselves a little pep talk and get over ourselves. (I usually use this when things get tough during a run.) [Note from NGS: As someone whose spouse just had rhabdo, I don't know about this one...please pay attention and listen to your body!]

17) Someday you won’t be able to do this. Today is not that day. (Unknown)

This is a good reminder, friends, that everything is finite. Embrace what you have (or can do) while you have it. It won't always be so easy to get around. 

18) I run this body. (Dorothy Beal, run coach) 

This is another favorite mantra during runs. I am in charge of my body and my mind is stronger than my body. If you don’t believe you can do it, you probably don’t but if your mind game is strong, the body will usually follow.

19) Tough times don't last, tough people do. (Becs Gentry, Peloton Run Instructor)

When I am struggling through a workout, I like to remind myself that the pain and struggle are only temporary, but that it makes me a tougher person in the end.

20) Just breathe. (Pearl Jam)

One of my favorite songs from one of my favorite bands, and one of my favorite mantras. If in doubt, just breathe (through it). [Note from NGS: Meanwhile, I am singing a Faith Hill song. I think that this post definitely shows that San and I are very different people!]

Which mantra is your favorite? Which one can you see using in your life?

45 comments:

  1. A guest post from one 20 year blogger to another! I love it!

    This is all good advice, but clearly the best is "use your whole ass".

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. These guest posts are great because you get a really different perspective than mine. In our house the phrase "half-assed is better than no-assed" gets thrown around a lot when I don't want to to exercise, but I do it anyway, if only in a half-assed way. It's better than everyone sitting on the couch. So, while I think use your whole ass is funny, I don't think I actually subscribe to it! LOL. San and I are not the same.

      Delete
    2. The "use your whole ass" mantra just makes me chuckle. I do agree, Engie, that half-assing is better than no-assing though ;)

      Delete
  2. San, you forgot my favourite Denis Morton quote: "Be good out there. And if you can't be good, be careful." You know I love Peloton too, but a lot of those instructors aren't ones I take classes with, so I enjoyed hearing about them. I like Leanne the best - "add some sparkle" is her saying, but I also enjoy Cody, the two Hannahs, and Ally Love. I am with Engie on the "shut up legs" - not listening to my body is how I got a massive injury in 2019. And I also don't agree with "beat yesterday" because sometimes, it's just about movement, and not about competing with your younger self, even if that younger self is only a day younger! But if I have to pick a favourite from your list, it's going to be Denis "what you're not changing, you're choosing."

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Nicole. I am a bit spooked because of this rhabdo thing and am finding it hard to not push back on people who are pushing themselves beyond what their bodies want/need just because someone is coaching them to! Move your body, but be nice to it!

      Delete
    2. Nicole! I thought about including that Denis quote for sure... I had too many to chose from, but I love when he says that at the end of each class. I also LOVE when he says "Just riiiiide your bike". :)

      Oh, and I am an absolute proponent of listening to your body... but the "shut up legs" is really just pushing through the mental barricade that tells your legs that you want to quit when they're actually just fine ;)

      Delete
  3. I LOVE mantras, so this post is like fairy dust sprinkled over my day. I am tagging this post and want to come back and write down all the lines that strike my fancy.
    I really appreciated reading: Remember when you wished for what you have right now? This is SO true for me in a few areas of life, and it's very easy to forget that what I have now used to be something I was wishing for!

    I think that all the mantras have a place, but the overarching key is listening to our bodies. Sometimes we can do hard things...but sometimes we need to take a step back and ask if we really need to put ourselves through X/Y/Z.

    I say "You can do hard things" all the time to my kids (and myself).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do really like "you can do hard things." I do hard things every day! Like getting out of bed! And preparing food!

      Delete
    2. I agree, Elisabeth, it is all about listening to your body... and often your body is more capable than your mind tries to make you believe ;)

      Delete
  4. I love all these! 'If you can't get out of it, get into it" is one I use all the time. Most of these I've heard before, but some are new. The Matt Wilpers one is a good one!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I thought this would appeal to you, Jenny!

      Delete
    2. Thanks Jenny, I knew you'd appreciate some of them as a runner!

      Delete
  5. This list is so on brand for San since she is the biggest user of Peloton that I know of. I feel like she has to be a 5th percentile user of the Peloton!! I really like the first one - it's probably my favorite of the bunch. Having RA and other health challenges has really made that phrase stick in. If you can move your body without pain, you are an incredibly fortunate person. But a lot of people don't/won't realize that until they have to deal with chronic pain or an injury. I am also careful to say "Mommy gets to go for a run" or something along those lines in front of my boys because I want them to view exercise/moving your body as something positive and not like an obligation/something to dread.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am definitely the same way. I do try to phrase it as I "get to do" things. Hanging out with my niece who has cerebral palsy has taught me to really appreciate what my body can do. I love that you're aware that you're a role model for your boys and having them see that taking care of your body is a joy and a pleasure!

      Delete
    2. Haha, I am still waiting for them to pay me for repping their brand ;)
      I see why you appreciate the first mantra "you don't have to, you get to".... we sometimes forget how lucky we are when we can move our bodies (and you especially dealing with a chronic illness!).

      Delete
  6. I love this post too! So many good ones on here, San. The one about allowing yourself to be uncomfortable reminds me of a long time ago when I used to do some Jillian Michaels DVDs and she would often say (er, bark): "get comfortable with being uncomfortable!" I liked that, because those videos were never hard enough that I was like, injuring myself at all or even close to it, but I still would "feel the burn" a little while holding a plank for 30-60 seconds or during the last few reps of the squats, etc. It was a good reminder that, ok, this isn't exactly pleasant, but it's short lived and I will be done and fine in a second, and this is where the growth happens!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have to admit that I honestly don't understand the line between discomfort and pain. Like...it's all the same to me? I think that's why I struggle with so many of these mantras. LOL.

      Delete
    2. I think we have gotten so used to being "comfortable" in this modern society, that it's good sometimes to be reminded of what "uncomfortable" feels like ;)

      Delete
  7. OMG I love this so much!!! They all are amazing. My favorite... "Being ready is a decision, not a feeling." So often I am just in my head and I can't get out. But if I just get up and start doing it- I'll do it! Whatever IT is. Yoga, dishes, laundry, email to a friend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This is so true! You just have to do it. I'm really a fan of the Nike slogan "Just do it" and am almost embarrassed at the number of times I mutter this to myself each day.

      Delete
    2. Yes, Daria, I completely agree... I love these mantras a lot because they challenge our mental "attitudes", which seems to be imperative sometimes!

      Delete
  8. I have a knee-jerk reaction against mantras (not even sure why) but even I like some of these. "I don't have to, I get to", "the hardest part is done" and "start where you are". After a few years of constant pain and injury and depression always derailing anything I started, I finally listened to Nicole and started doing yoga, and it's given me the most consistent and rewarding exercise routine so far. When I was young I did whatever I did - weight-lifting, aerobics - to the max, and it often ended badly. Now I listen to my body and if I feel like I really need to rest, I rest. But I push myself to at least try.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. YES!! Yoga is the answer to so much. I feel like the benefits of yoga for me are at least as much mental as they are physical. And some of that mental toughness helps me with other movement, but even if I never did anything but yoga, I still feel like I'd be doing better than a lot of other people.

      Delete
    2. That is so wonderful that you found yoga to be your saving grace, Allison. It's so important to find something that works for us and our bodies!

      Delete
  9. These were so fun to read! I love how exercise motivation can apply to so many situations. "It's okay to be uncomfortable" is such a good reminder that sometimes you need to push yourself. "I don't have to, I get to" is SUCH good advice. And I love "run the mile you're in" because it makes makes me think about how important it is to live in the moment.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have to admit that I was recently doing a medical procedure and I kept thinking about how "it's okay to be uncomfortable" was appropriate in that situation. I do not do that every day and I wouldn't want to, but it was okay to be uncomfortable right then.

      Delete
    2. That's exactly it, Suzanne.... "run the mile you're in" is such a good reminder to focus on the here and now, which also applies to any situation in life!

      Delete
  10. The first one reminds me of the movie The Rookie, where the old/rookie baseball player turns his attitude around about playing in the minor leagues, and says to a teammate, "You know what we get to do today? We get to play baseball." As for ones I say, sometimes I tell myself, "It will be better in the end. If it's not better, it's not the end."

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sometimes we watch sports documentaries and I get really pissy about them because it's just a game and it really bothers me when people are freaking out about golf or football or tennis or whatever and I have been known to scream "it's a game - you get to play a game as a profession!" and my husband rolls his eyes.

      I do like the focus on end results. The end will always be better than the beginning!

      Delete
    2. I like the mantra you tell yourself. It's a good motivation to always look forward, not back!

      Delete
  11. I love a good mantra but sometimes exercise-related ones drive me crazy, haha. A lot of these are good ones, though! I can't tell you what "drink while you pour" means. I'm still trying to figure that one out. One of the trainers at the gym I go to tells us she just wants us to be 1% better than our previous workout, which I like a lot. That means maybe I attempt one pushup on my toes and the rest on my knees - and next time, I do TWO push-ups on my toes.

    I also think it's important to remember that not every workout has to be your best workout. Sometimes, you just need to move your body - even if you "half-ass" it, it still counts.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The exercise ones that are all about going gung-ho all the time really drive me insane, too. That is one of the key differences between us and San! I'm 100% with you - sometimes half-assed is better than no-assed. That is my exercise mantra. Obviously it's not San approved.

      Delete
    2. Haha, I definitely approve half-assing over no-assing... I just think you should be all in when you decide to exercise to reap the most benefits. I know people who say they exercise but then wonder why they don't see any improvements (in whatever form - feeling better, feeling stronger, etc, - which to me is like the whole purpose) and I often wonder if they're just not really doing the work. Not every day has to be 100%, but most of the time, the focus should be there.

      "Drink as you pour" is a mantra from a yoga instructor, so she emphasizes the importance of recovery/rest days, sleep and selfcare to be able to perform optimally in the world. It means doing the things we need to do, in order to continually replenish our personal reservoir. If we don’t drink, there won’t be anything to pour. Maybe I should have explained this more in my post.

      Delete
  12. There are so many good phrases here. I died laughing at Engie asking you to explain your 'Drink as You Pour' mantra as if she was a 5 year old. Engie - SAME. Ha.

    I like the Start where you are, use what you have, do what you can. - I feel like that applies to more than just workouts. I also really like Just Breathe. (Hmm, is someone seeking words of wisdom to life's challenges at this moment?). I also appreciate Remember you wished for what you have right now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Drink as you pour makes me picture a cat lapping at the water as you try to pour it into their bowl. I'm pretty sure that's not what it means!

      Delete
    2. "Drink as you pour" is a mantra from a yoga instructor, so she emphasizes the importance of recovery/rest days, sleep and selfcare to be able to perform optimally in the world. It means doing the things we need to do, in order to continually replenish our personal reservoir. If we don’t drink, there won’t be anything to pour. Maybe I should have explained this more in my post.

      Delete
  13. Favorite: What you’re not changing, you’re choosing. The truth of this has hit me hard the last few months, just didn't have a pithy way of saying it. Yay San, she's an inspiration.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Ally. I appreciate this so much <3 and this mantra definitely hits me hard too as I can be so indicisive.

      Delete
  14. I can get behind #2. Showing up and just for a minute or five does work its magic and usually extends the workout. However I am with NGE... I am not an athlete (anymore). I loved your comments though. They made me laugh.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Tobia. I think there are a few that can definitely be applied to life in general :)

      Delete
  15. Thank you so much for having me, Engie. It was fun to participate in your blogaversary extravaganza and I've tremendously enjoyed the other guest posts and look forward to more!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for sharing this with us! It's so unlike anything I'd ever write and I love that any readers who might now know you will get to meet you through this!

      Delete
  16. I also really liked 'you don't have to, you get to'. When I had my initial RA flare, it hurt to walk across a room, turn a doorknob, brush my hair. It took me quite awhile to get back to being able to go for a 1 mile walk again, without hobbling in foot pain. To be able to do daily yoga, some strength training, and go for daily walks is a gift for sure.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. YES!! People with chronic illnesses get it. It's a blessing to get to move!

      Delete
  17. I do think mantras such as these highlight just how different we all are in our approaches to life in general, as well as fitness. Some of them really resonate with me - I actually 'got' the drink as you pour mantra, ha. But others just don't, and that's okay. Lids, pots, one for each. ;) We all love San - and I, in particular, love how she has brought together such a diverse yet friendly group of people. We are lucky!

    ReplyDelete