Tuesday, June 25, 2024

My Year of Rest and Relaxation by Ottessa Moshfegh

The ladies on the Books Unbound podcast love My Year of Rest and Relaxation by Ottessa Mosfegh. I've gotten some really solid recs from them, including The Ghost in the House and Albatross, so even though the brief description I'd heard didn't really sell me, I went ahead and put a hold on in at the library and then proceeded to keep delaying the loan until I didn't have any other ebooks available. 


Our main character is depressed after the loss of her parents and a tough breakup. So she attempts to sleep as much as possible for a full year, through a combination of drugs and endless viewings of Whoopi Goldberg movies. Her best friend Reva stops by occasionally, but she doesn't really have a lot of contact with the outside world outside of her occasional visits.

Here's the deal. While I appreciated that this book did a great job of discussing how great sleep is, I personally don't need a deep dive into depression. As someone who lives with depression and anxiety this book just made me (wait for it) depressed and anxious. Why is she lying to her doctor? Why is she mixing alcohol with prescriptions? Why doesn't she have a job? Why is she so mean to her best friend? Why can't I sleep as much as she does? 

It might be the right book for you, but it wasn't right for me. 2.5/5 stars

Lines of note:

OH, SLEEP. Nothing else could ever bring me such pleasure, such freedom, the power to feel and move and think and imagine, safe from the miseries of my waking consciousness. I was not a narcoleptic—I never fell asleep when I didn’t want to. I was more of a somniac. A somnophile. I’d always loved sleeping. It was one thing my mother and I had enjoyed doing together when I was a child. (location 597)

This describes me and my life perfectly. My mom used to work nights when I was growing up and I remember a lot of naps with my mom in the afternoon. Because there's nothing better than sleep.

Sleep felt productive. Something was getting sorted out. I knew in my heart—this was, perhaps, the only thing my heart knew back then—that when I’d slept enough, I’d be okay. (location 655)

Sleep is my cure-all? Back hurts? Let's go to sleep and it'll feel better in the morning. Headache? Sleep it off. If I could just get enough sleep, I'd be just fine. 

A mauve-colored cat sat on the second-floor railing like an owl. 
“Fussing with animals in dreams can have primitive and violent consequences,” Dr. Tuttle had said to me once, petting her fat, snoring tabby. 
I felt like pushing the cat down the stairwell when I reached the landing. The look in its eye was so smug. (location 2677)

This line made me laugh so hard. Why do cats look so smug? It's like the call of the void when I see Zelda perched somewhere and it looks like she's judging me. I sort of want to knock her off in the same way I sort of want to drive my car over a bridge, which is to say not really, but you think about every time, don't you?

Hat mentions (why hats?):

Beer bellies and skinny legs, zip-up hoodies, navy blue peacoats or army green parkas, New Balance sneakers, knit hats, canvas tote bags, small hands, hairy knuckles, maybe a deer head tattooed across a flabby bicep. (location 453)

Those I did see looked like lumbering monsters, human shapes deformed by puffy coats and hoods, mittens and hats, snow boots. (location 1073)

... I put on a denim jacket, pulled a pilly knit hat on, stuck my feet into my slippers, my debit card into my pocket, and went down to the Egyptians to get my coffees, shivering violently along the salted path in the dirty snow. (location 1287)

... sat down to watch Whoopi—in a cornflower blue velour tunic and an upside-down cone-shaped hat like a futuristic bishop—have a heart-to-heart talk with Marina Sirtis. (location 2143)

****************

Has anyone ever read any Ottessa Moshfegh?

21 comments:

  1. I really really really liked this book, but I do not have a history of depression. I thought this book was dark comedy genius. I continue to adore your hat search and close reading notes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do think that this is just a book for someone else. I did not see the comedy - I was just too worried the whole time!

      Delete
  2. I remember when this book came out and it got so much hype, but it never sounded like an appealing premise to me. And now that I've read your review I feel confident that it's not for me. I do love sleep, though.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I read that book and I actually had zero idea what it was really about before reading it. Imagine my surprise. I didn't love it at all.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love to think about what you thought it was about before you started. Her relaxing trip to the beach? The year she said no to all invitations? So many options!

      Delete
  4. I feel like if I read this book it would encourage me to get more sleep. Other than that, I don't think I would like it too much.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, it did succeed in putting me to sleep a lot. LOL.

      Delete
  5. I remember picking this book for my sabbatical term (year of rest and relaxation, get it :)? ) and really enjoying it... I think of it as a very NYC book--about the city and also very laconic and quirky. I remember feeling like the first-person narrator was too into her own beauty, and then checked myself--why shouldn't she?!

    That said, one of my kids gave me another book by OM because I liked this one so much , and I haven't been able to crack that yet, because the cover image is so disturbing and off-putting. (Google "Lapvona" if you want to see.)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The narrator was mean, though, about other women. Here's a quote I noted, but didn't use in the post because I didn't really know what to say about it.

      I looked like a model, had money I hadn’t earned, wore real designer clothing, had majored in art history, so I was “cultured.” Reva, on the other hand, came from Long Island, was an 8 out of 10 but called herself “a New York three,” and had majored in economics. “The Asian nerd major,” she named it.

      I'm not sure why it was so offputting, but the way she talked about other women was upsetting.

      The hosts of the podcast that I got the recommendation from are Moshfegh completionists, so I do know about her other books and how they can be dark and sort of...gross? Not sure I'm up for more of her, to be honest!

      Delete
    2. Ugh--Yeah, that sounds gross. I think I was giving her a pass because of her recent losses and grief...

      Delete
  6. I had heard about this book but all signs pointed to it not being a fit for me and seeing your review, I am glad I did not try it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey, if I've learned anything from writing about books on the internet, it's that what doesn't work for me might work for other people. Maybe you'd love it. Or maybe you'd just hate her for having no responsibilities and all the time in the world to sleep.

      Delete
  7. I HATED that book. Like, actively hated it, wanted to wing it across the room, was utterly baffled by the positive reviews. I'm sure it was more to do with my mood at the time, but it was almost amusing how enraged it made me. The only comparable reading experience was How Should a Person Be by Sheila Heti (not even sure that's the right title, I refuse to put her in the google search bar. *spits on floor*

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I mean, maybe it's good art, though, if it earned such a reaction from you? Like...it evoked emotions and maybe that was her intent? LOL.

      Delete
    2. Sure, maybe. (No. It was donkey vomit.)

      Delete
    3. DONKEY VOMIT!!

      Delete
  8. I've not heard of Ottessa Moshfegh so not familiar with this book. It sounds interesting, but in a way I'm not in the mood to learn about. I am to a point where I don't want to read about how someone screwed up their life over and over again. I don't know if it's the age I am or the times in which we live, but no thanks. Show me growth & progress or forget it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think I'm just too old for this bullshit. You know you're grieving, so deal with it. LOL. I mean, I am sympathetic to someone who is going through a hard time, but she just wasn't doing herself any favors and I was OVER IT.

      Delete
  9. Me, me! I listened to this a few years back, I wanna say, 2021? I really liked it. In fact, I still think about it from time to time. I admit that I often want to rest like she did, minus the drugs. Plus, the NYC references were kind of nice. I mean, I am in New Jersey, but I always wanted to live in NYC, even if it's for a short while.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah, but I have never had a good experience in NYC and always think about it as a loud, dirty, smelly place and no books set in the City ever talk about it that way, do they? LOL.

      Delete