Monday, April 15, 2024

Albatross by Terry Fallis

Albatross* by Terry Fallis is another book by a Canadian author that came across my radar because of the podcast Books Unbound. This book also has deckled edges and I also had to order it through fancy interlibrary loan at the university library because it's published by a Canadian press and is sort of hard to find in the United States. 

Adam is a normal senior in high school. He likes to write stories, is obsessed with fountain pens and ink colors, and has a girlfriend named Alli. His new English teacher finds out that Adam is really good at golf, though. Like, REALLY good. It turns out that Adam doesn't care much for golf - he finds it tedious and boring - but soon he's on a path to playing golf at Stanford.

This book was ridiculous. But I loved it. It's a sports book with very little about sports. Also, there was a part that made me tear up and then I laughed at myself for tearing up that way. 

This has a 3.7 on Goodreads, which is an absolute travesty. It's such a fun little book! Sure, the whole thing is preposterous (a Swedish professor figures out what measurements will make an ideal athlete for various sports and Adam's measurements align with making him a perfect specimen for golf), but once you just accept that premise, this book is a true gem. 

I did think the ending dragged a tiny bit, but this a fun read if you can get  your hands on it. 4.5/5 stars

*For those of you not in the know, an albatross is a rare and prestigious score in golf, achieved when a player achieves three strokes under par. In golf and nature, the albatross is a rare bird. 

********************
Hat mention (why hats?):

"Your hat, son," Bobbie said under her breath. (page 192)

12 comments:

  1. This isn't a book for my TBR... but oh, that Swedish professor's measurements thing hit a nerve. When I was dating A and he was into running, my dad (who admittedly knows everything about every sport) would keep saying that A wasn't "built" like a runner. And I'd be like: "What does it matter? He's run marathons, Dad!" And on and on and on we'd go.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's actually a big part of the book. Adam hates golf, but he's just good at it and he feels guilty because other people without those natural gifts work so much harder than he does. I think the book would validate your frustration with this mindset.

      Delete
  2. Actually I think this sounds interesting! And I think there is something to matching up someone's body type to find their ideal sport- it does make a difference. And I didn't know what an albatross was in golf- that's an interesting tidbit!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, for sure body type makes a difference. It's just sort of silly to suggest if you have X, Y, and Z characteristics you will FOR SURE be an elite athlete in a particular sport of if you don't have the characteristics you'd never be able to be successful. But that silliness is examined in the book!

      I didn't know what an albatross was in golf until my husband told me after I read the book. I just thought the title referred to the phrase "albatross around one's neck" and once I learned the second meaning, I thought the title was even more genius.

      Delete
  3. I think it's sad more people can't just accept a premise. There's too much reality! Give me something preposterous, I'll suspend my disbelief, we'll have a happy time. It's easy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. YES!! I mean, as long as the preposterousness is consistent in the world, I can handle it. It's why I love fantasy so much! (Well, except for that one book when the vampires did yoga and I just could NOT suspend my disbelief.)

      Delete
  4. I'm watching Full Swing, slowly...and have never heard of an Albatross in the golf context. It makes sense that it's incredibly rare, though :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha ha ha! After I finished this book, I asked my husband if he wanted to watch the second season of Full Swing. Netflix was SO lucky that the Liv/PGA thing happened in the first season.

      Delete
  5. This sounds like a book that might work for me because I oddly really love the sport of golf. I had not heard of an albatross, though. I will have to ask Phil if he knows about that - I assume he does because he is a very good golfer and has always followed the sport.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I didn't know it was a golf term until after I finished the book and it made me think the title was even more clever than I originally did!

      Delete
  6. Ive never heard of this book. Its intriguing but until it crosses my path again Illnot add it to the TBR. Its too much on there and I need to weed out a it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's so hard to find in the States! Maybe you'd have better luck finding it in Germany? Oh, well. It's probably not worth tracking it down if it's not going to make your TBR.

      Delete