Wednesday, May 29, 2024

Diary of a Void by Emi Yagi

I heard about Diary of a Void by Emi Yagi, translated by Lucy North and David Body on the Books Unbound podcast and I was so amused by the premise of the book that I stopped walking Hannah in the middle of the sidewalk to request it from the library.


First of all, when I borrowed the book, I found a checkout slip from a previous borrower. Here it is:


Look, I really liked this book. I thought it was hilarious and insightful. But I also feel like it's obscure Japanese literature and I'm not sure why a person goes to the library in JULY and the first book they check out this one? Or maybe by session they mean only this one library visit?  I don't know. This slip of paper made me laugh. 

Okay, onward to the book itself. 

Shibata is a lonely young woman who works at a Japanese company that makes cardboard tubes. She has to do her actual work, but is also expected to do all the menial tasks that make the world go around, but no one wants to do. She makes coffee for meetings, cleans up after meetings, answers the phones, and distributes messages around the office. One day she is infuriated at having to make the coffee AGAIN when she announces that she just can't handle the coffee anymore because she is pregnant and the smell nauseates her. 

Only...she's not pregnant. But she documents every week of her pregnancy. This book is a biting satirical look at office culture in modern Japan (I mean, we might argue it's the entire modern world, but Shibata gets an entire YEAR for maternity leave). I enjoyed every second of the book, from wondering if she would ever get found out to wondering why she would bother with pre-natal aerobics classes. I thought it was a fascinating character study of a woman whose unhappiness permeated her entire world leaving me wondering if she actually thought she was pregnant at times. 

I liked this a lot. I thought it was quite funny and I loved the social critique. It was not quite a workplace comedy, but it was telling about modern office culture. It has that sad, haunting feeling that I associate with novels translated from the Japanese that makes you think about a book long after you've finished reading it. It was also just over 200 pages, so I was able to finish it during a time when reading has been quite a challenge.  

If you liked Convenience Store Woman or Ueno Station, give this one a shot. 4.5/5 stars

Hat mentions (why hats?):

They all had elf hats on. (page 79)

...once they'd handed us our jumpsuits, masks, and hard hats, he could hardly contain himself. (page 158)

18 comments:

  1. This sounds like an absolutely fascinating premise!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. RIght?! It was so interesting. It was also interesting to see what it was exactly about her workplace that finally set her over the edge to make up this story.

      Delete
  2. I did like Convenience Store Woman, so maybe I'll try this!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love these Japanese books so much. There's something about the tone that makes me think long after I'm doing reading them.

      Delete
  3. I know I've heard of this book--perhaps in a gender studies context? (Also, if you're ever in a place where you want to watch an anime but also cry a lot, try _Grave of the Fireflies._)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, it would be an interesting book to read in a gender studies class or even a Japanese studies class. It's revealing about culture.

      Delete
  4. Okay, I'm going to give this a try (if I can find it at my library, hmm.) My daughter is currently obsessed with Japanese culture and if I think it's appropriate, I'll pass it on to her as well. She doesn't read much (arg!) and I'm trying to encourage that.
    ALSO! I got your card!!!!! Thank you so much, and I LOVE the Anne Frank quote on the front. It's on display on my bookshelf right now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I found it in my library system, so I think you'll be able to. Hmm...I think I would recommend Convenience Store Woman for your daughter and then if she liked that, maybe this one!

      I love those cards so much and that quote seemed so perfect for you!

      Delete
  5. This sounds very intriguing to me! It's going on my list!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope I start a revolution of people reading it!

      Delete
  6. I read this as part of my first novel challenge! I found it so intriguing. From how committed Shibata was to faking the pregnancy to the insight into Japanese office culture made it such a great read for me having gone through being pregnant in corporate America back in the day; I can't wait to see what she writes next.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was oddly invested in Shibata and her weirdness. Such an interesting little book - I'm glad I read it and I'm glad I'm not the only one who found it so fascinating.

      Delete
  7. As someone who hid a pregnancy at work for six months, I am tickled by the premise of this novel.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was a bananas premise and it just got crazier and crazier.

      Delete
  8. This sounds great! And I would be lying if I said I haven't fantasized once or twice about being able to take maternity leave or be a stay at home mom... to my cats. I totally get being sick of all that BS.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The dream of just being able to stay home is real, isn't it? But I bet it would be just as stressful in its own way. The way this character managed to get the best of both worlds was amazing. I mean, unethical as all get out, but super amazing.

      Delete
  9. Another book added to the TBR. I will never get through that list... There are just too many good ooks out there. Sigh.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Right? We'll never read all the good books!

      Delete