Sunday, April 28, 2024

20th Anniversary Countdown: Guest Post #2

This is the second of my guest posts to celebrate my 20th Blogiversary coming up in September.
******************
Kyria has been blogging about her travels since 2006. She recently quit her job, sold all her belongings, and started a bikepacking adventure through the US and Canada with her bike Bob. She is much braver than I am! Find her over at Travel Spot
******************

Hello everyone! First off, let me start by saying happy blogiversary to Engie, who is a few years older than me (I will be twenty in 2026). I always did look up to her and now I know why; she is the older and wiser one. Twenty years is a long time to keep doing the same thing consistently; think about it - have you had a job for twenty years? A relationship? A home? I haven't and I am a pretty routine person. In order to celebrate Engie's special day, I thought I would write about twenty interesting places that I have visited. Some of you know that my blog started as a travel blog, and I am hoping that it gets back there again, so here's a little inspiration for all of us! I am going to skip the obvious ones like Paris and Rome and give you some more off the beaten path options! 

1. Salt Flats / Salar de Uyuni (Bolivia): not only do these start at about 3,600 meters (~11,800 feet) above sea level and get as high as 5,000 meters (~16,500 feet), but they are flat and they seeming go on for ages. Fun fact; they actually used to be under the sea! (more info)

Salt Flats, Uyuni

2. Lençóis Maranhenses National Park (Brazil): This is on the northeast coast of Brazil in the middle of nowhere and consists of some random sand dunes, which were apparently carried by the rivers at one point and then blown around by the winds, creating a really cool set of dunes. There are lagoons in the middle of some of them and it is really blue and the effect is stunning, plus you can swim in them! (more info)

Lençóis Maranhenses

3. Ilha Grande (Brazil): Less than 100 miles from Rio, this island is accessible and it beautiful! We stayed in a small pousada and drank lots of caipirinhas! You can also walk to Playa Lopez Mendes, which is on the east coast of the island, which is absolutely stunning and is good for surfing. (more info)

4. South Africa: This time it is an entire country! I spent about a month driving around, camping and hiking in South Africa and I had a blast. Some highlights included Pater Noster, a small but beautiful beach town, going on safari at Kruger (in the rental car, on our own) and Cape Town (food, Table Mountain, the sea, ostriches)!  (more info)

Kruger, South Africa

5. Everest Base Camp Hike (Nepal): Although my last trip with Mr. Lovely did not end as expected (long story!), I really enjoyed the EBC hike. The scenery was beautiful, there were yaks (an naks, lady yaks) and the teahouses were warm and boisterous.Plus the flight into Lukla is amazing (as is the short runway, at only about 1,700 feet long). (more info)

6. Banff & Jasper NPs (Canada): These parks are both beautiful, there is tons of hiking, or if you don't feel like doing that, tons of views to see from the car. The people are nice, the lakes are a beautiful blue color and the mountains are stunning. I can't say enough good things about these parks. I am planning on riding the Icefields Parkway later this year, which goes between the two parks. (more info)

Bow River, Banff

7. Ko Tao (Thailand): This island in Thailand holds a special place in my heart as it was one of the first places I went when I visited this lovely country. We did not book any accomodation in advance, yet it was easy to find a place to stay and my friend and I spent the week learning to dive. The oceans and beaches are beautiful, both under and on top of the water, the food is cheap and good, and there is a ton of fresh fruit! To get there you have to take a boat, but it is an easy ride across from the mainland. (more info)

8. Hong Kong: I do enjoy a city by the bay. Places like Seattle and San Francisco and Hong Kong are just so pretty! Plus there are ferries! Also, HK was the first city that I ever had WiFi all over town, out in the open. The street food (and restaurant food) is fabulous, there is hiking nearby and the New Years Eve fireworks are spectacular (I recommend getting a hotel with a high floor so you can lay in bed and watch them like I did). Plus if you like shopping, Kowloon has everything you may need and more. (more info)

9. Busan (South Korea): Another waterside city, Busan was a fishing village, but now is so much more. There are beaches, and you can get Korean food with lots of banchan in the subway tunnels! Other than that, I went to a baseball game, which was so much fun, plus they are called the Giants, which is my home team also! I had a lot of fun wandering the fish stalls and one of the merchants even let us try soju! (more info)

10. Kings Canyon NP (California): This is not as well known as Yosemite or Sequoia, but there is plenty of things to do and see here! You can get a campsite near the King river and just relax, or if you feel more energy, there are a ton of hiking, fishing, rafting and swimming opportunities. 

Kings Canyon National Park

11. Bariloche (Argentina): In winter there is skiing and in summer there is biking or hiking and no matter what, there is good wine and food! I even got a haircut when I was here and it was great. 

12. Patagonia (Argentina/Chile): I don't think this place needs any introduction. Just go; you will love it! 

Grey Glacier, Chile

13. Palawan (Philippines): Since we are on the jeep theme, here is another place I had to take a jeep to, but in the Philippines, it is called a Jeepney. This island is beautiful and if you like diving, or eating, or karaoke or underground caves, this is the place for you. The first time I tried a red banana was in El Nido. Have you ever had one? This island is just a quick flight from Manila, but if you are going all the way to the Philippines, make sure you also check out Boracay as well. (more info)

14. New Orleans (Louisiana): Food, music, culture; what more can you ask for!? You could of course go for one of the classic restaurants like Emeril's, but there are so many more: Tommy's or Compere Lapin for dinner or Surrey's or Slim Goodie's for breakfast, or a crawfish boil at any time! (more info)

15. Whitehaven Beach (Australia): Super white sand and blue, blue water! It is a sight to behold. You can get here by taking a Whitsunday sail. 

16. Queenstown (New Zealand): Good for both bungy jumping and being the jumping off place for many outdoor activities. Also you can stop here on the way to Milford Sound, NZ's fjords, which are also worth a visit. 

17. Ljubljana (Slovenia): Home of the dragons and castles, this city in tiny Slovenia does not disappoint. They also have great bakeries and restaurants and lots of nearby mountain activities. 

18. Durmitor (Montenegro): Another tiny country, with both mountains and beautiful oceanside. When I was here we stayed with a host family, which was a great way to get an idea of how the locals live. 

19. See (Austria): In the summer, you can take a gondola up to the top of the mountain and then walk around, without having to do as much work. After that, you can have a wonderful dinner, complete with the dark heavy brown seeded bread that I love so much! 

View from the gondola

20: Bologna (Italy): Despite it's name, you will not find any compressed meat here. This town may get overshadowed by more well known ones like Rome or Pisa, but you can find some great food and the streets are so fun to walk around. I remember also noticing that there were a ton of people biking! 

So there you have it, twenty places to go for Engie's twentieth blogiversary! Have you been to any of these places? What is one of your favorite places that you have been? 

36 comments:

  1. This was so fun to read! Kyria has such a boundless sense of adventure. Love all the photos! I have only been to two of these place (Ljubljana, Slovenia and Banff/Jasper), although I have been to Austria and California.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've only been to one of those places (New Orleans), so clearly I have some catching up to do!

      Delete
    2. I really enjoyed Ljubljana, although it rained when I was there, so I definitely would like to go back again one sunny day!

      Delete
  2. I love guest posts, because it's like going over to a friend's house and finding one of your other friends there. Excellent point that I can't think of anything that I've done that makes the "20 Club". Sheesh I didn't even start blogging until 2011.

    I have not been to any of these places, and for that matter I haven't been to a lot of the obvious ones either. In the last two years I've been on a local tourism quest, and I'm continuously blown away by the local gems that I've found. If I have to narrow it down, I'm going to pick my island bender trip from last year. I drove to Canada, and then took the ferry to Pelee Island, and then got the ferry from Pelee back to the US and finished out the week on the US islands - Middle Bass, Put in Bay, and Kelleys.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am glad you enjoy guest posts. I feel like most of us know one another in this corner of the internet, but I'm also hoping to introduce cool people to my cool readers if they don't know them. And it's lovely when someone writes something so interesting like traveling all around the world!!

      Delete
    2. Birchie, I cannot wait for your 20 local things list to come out one day!

      Delete
  3. Oh so many wonderful places. Thank you for sharing Kyria. Unfortunately I have never been to any of those places even though I's say I have seen a lot... I did organize an event in Lublijana though and couldnt attend because I had an accident a week prior. One day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, no! What terrible luck that you didn't get to go to Lublijana. That's not good at all!

      Delete
    2. Tobia, from what I have heard, you could probably talk about 20 crafty things that I have never tried!

      Delete
  4. I have not been to any of those places! But from the photos I'm very confident I would LOVE Ljubljana.
    I think of all the places I've visited in the world - which is not many compared to Kyria - I'd have to pick Rome/Italy as my favourite.
    Love all these guest posts, Engie!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have very fond memories of The Petrified Forest National Park in Arizona as a favorite place I've traveled. So much interesting geology! But sometimes I think about places like Rome and am just shocked that it truly exists in the world - so old and still standing!

      Delete
    2. I am adding Petrified Forest to my list! And I would love to go back to Rome too! There are just so many places to see in this world.

      Delete
  5. Oh, I've been to Banff! (And Hi, Kyria!) It was a hundred years ago, but it made a huge impression on me, even as a 17-year old teenager travelling unwillingly with her parents and missing her boyfriend. So beautiful. It has every reason to be ostentatious and touristy, but it's just quietly serene and awesome, the latter word in its truest form--inspiring awe at Nature in her most glorious forms.

    I have to say that I was similarly moved when I visited Alaska. All I kept thinking the whole time was, "I hope we don't come in here and ruin all this beauty." (WE being people and our awful machines for oil, natural gas, or timber or whatever we think we need to take, spoiling the land in the process.)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Right? It's hard because you want to see all the beautiful places, but we also don't want to ruin it. I feel like I want to keep some natural places top secret so humans don't mess them up.

      Delete
    2. I am with you Nance! Alaska is still so wild and open! I am pretty sure there are a lot of places like that in Canada too, since most of the people are fairly localized. Banff has been discovered though! However, the last time I was there it was September and it snowed, so it was not overflowing with people, which was nice!

      Delete
  6. I have been to ZERO of these places! But I'm going to New Orleans at the end of next month, so I've bookmarked the blog post she linked to for some food ideas. Yay!

    Favorite place I've ever been to is Kilkenny, Ireland. It's such a cute little city and I could have stayed there for dayyyys.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are going to have so much fun! You will probably want to do the touristy things too (Garden District, Audubon Park, Magazine Street, French Quarter) but my advice is to do a quick walk down Bourbon street and then call it done! It is not the best of NOLA by a long shot! Or skip it.

      Isn't Ireland fun!? I love all the cute little towns, and live music and cobbled streets.

      Delete
    2. I do want to get to Ireland someday. Noting that Kilkenny is adorable!

      Delete
  7. Now wait just a minute! How in the WORLD am I supposed to follow this up when it's my turn to guest post??? Kyria has set the bar awfully high here.
    Seriously, this is very cool. I've only been to one of these places- Hong Kong. Kind of crazy that I've been to Hong Kong but not New Orleans, especially since we go right past New Orleans every year when we drive to Waco. One of these days I'll get there!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jenny, I would love to hear your story of why you've been to Hong Kong but not New Orleans! Also maybe this could be your stop on the way back from dropping off your son this August (although it is pretty darn hot in NOLA in August!)

      Delete
    2. You 100% have to stop in NOLA! You're running out of trips to Waco!

      Delete
  8. I think I went to Banff/Jasper when I was a kid - my parents took us on an epic Canadian road trip, driving from our home in Ontario to ... not sure where we ended up. But I'm pretty sure we went to Banff because I have a bright yellow t-shirt from there.
    This is such an inspiring post!
    I think my favorite trip was going to Florence by myself when I was 25 or so - I don't know that I liked Florence more than any other city I've been to, but I loved that experience of solo travelling.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I enjoyed Florence, but I do think that the first time you do a trip on your own, you do get such a sense of accomplishment and I am sure that you probably equate Florence with that feeling. What a rush, eh? Don't you feel like you can do anything after your first foray into the world like that!?

      Delete
    2. What do you find appealing about solo travel, Diane? I just feel so much pressure to do it all when it's just me!!

      Delete
  9. What a great list! I'm in awe of your travels, and hope to do something similar in my empty nest years. I've been to a handful of places on your list (Nepal, New Orleans, Bologna), but hope to do more, more, more. My favorite trip was the grand tour I took just before the pandemic--I traveled through Greece, Italy, and France BY MYSELF!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's awesome that you went traveling on your own! I think that gives you such a feeling of freedom and accomplishment, like you can take on the world after that! I am with you -- I hope to do more, more, more too!

      Delete
    2. All these solo travelers! So impressive!!

      Delete
  10. What a great list! Been to Nepal and Austria. I would love to see Slovenia!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You would love Slovenia, and the kids would too! It is like everything good about Europe all packaged into one! It has wine, beaches, mountains, cities, good food, castles, dragons...etc. etc. etc.....and everyone is so nice!

      Delete
    2. Slovenia is sort of a shocking choice to me. I never thought of it as a tourist attraction until this post!

      Delete
  11. Wait, Minneapolis didn't make the list?? I KID!! I feel lucky to call Kyria a very good friend. She's also good friends with my husband and they will text one another. They are very similar people so get along especially well. I remember when Kyria came to stay with us for our wedding, when I walked in the door with her (and another blogging friend) Phil was like - "welcome, Kyria. While you are up, could you grab a beer for me from the fridge?" Ha.

    Of this list, I have only been to Banff and it was AMAZING. I would go back in a heart beat but I would want to stay for like 1-2 weeks! I have also been close to Whitehaven Beach but I don't think I have been on that actual beach. I studied abroad in that area and we went up to the Whitsundy's for a school field trip type of outing once.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Minneapolis would 100% make MY list, Lisa! So much fun stuff to do and so much green space to enjoy! I love to hear that Kyria fit in so well with your family. I hope to meet her someday!

      Delete
  12. Wow! That's an amazing list of places! I love Kyria's sense of adventure and it's wonderful to read her blog. I'm much better as an armchair traveler!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me too, my friend! I'd much rather read about Kyria's adventures than have my own.

      Delete
  13. Wow, you've really been to some amazing places... the only place on your list that I've been to is Austria. No surprise there, I guess :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Much like the others, I'm adding Slovenia to my list. Kyria, I love how varied - and different! - your favorites are, compared to other lists I have seen out there. :)

    ReplyDelete