Wednesday, March 27, 2024

Is It Possible to be an Ethical Consumer?

Someone asked me in the comments once to write about my attempts to buy ethical fashion. I, of course, am not organized to write down WHO asked for this or WHEN, but someone did. Here's my attempt to make sense of a disorganized system.  Edit: I FOUND IT!! Shelly asked for me to do it in the comments on a guest post I did for Elisabeth's blog. See the post here

*******************
I'm about to spoil The Good Place, a television show that's last season was four years ago. If you don't want to hear what I have to say about it, don't read any further. 

Random photo of Zelda just so people don't get accidental spoilers.

Basically, it turns out in the show that no one has gotten into The Good Place for centuries because there is no way to live morally in our modern society. Now, the show then goes forward and shows that people can develop morally in the afterlife, blah, blah, blah, but since I don't believe in the afterlife, the part about not being able to live ethically in this modern world has really stuck with me. Is there a way to live morally? 

It honestly feels like I have done nothing but destroy this planet since the moment I have been born. So this is the kind of thing I think about when I make any type of decision.

  • Is having a housecat morally defensible? I mean, she's cared for, but would her life be better if she had freedom? If I let her outside, she will destroy wildlife, so that's not ideal, either.
  • Is eating these grapes from Mexico worth it? Were the people who harvested the grapes treated well? Were the transportation costs/environmental impact worth it?
  • Is reading Harry Potter again ethically problematic? 
  • Is buying X, Y, or Z sustainable? 
  • Should I drive my car to work or try to ride my bicycle? Will the change to the environment be worth all the hassle for me?
  • If I buy a new piece of technology, what rare mineral has been mined in a dangerous way?
So, as you can imagine, every decision is fraught in our house, especially new purchases. I have mentioned that I try to buy ethical fashion, but what does that mean?  It's complicated.

There are a lot of ways to think of something as being "ethical." I focus mostly on human labor and environmental impacts. Your criteria might differ wildly from mine.

Human Labor

In 2013, a fast fashion factory collapsed in Bangladesh, killing over 1000 people. It was at this point that I started paying attention to what I was buying in stores and started asking myself the following questions.

  • Are garment workers working in safe, humane conditions?
  • Are garment workers being paid a living wage?
  • Are garment workers allowed to unionize?
  • Is child labor used?

Environment

There is pervasive greenwashing being done by companies out there. Greenwashing is when organizations (this can be companies, brands, governments, or any organization) pretend their practices are more sustainable or eco-friendly than they are. 

  • Does the company use sustainable fabrics? I've linked to this very photo before, but clothes with a lot of plastic in them do not decompose. But there are drawbacks to natural fibers, as well. Bamboo/viscose create acid waste and are energy intensive. Hemp and linen can be okay, but you need to know how they are dyed, how they are grown, and how they are processed to have a complete idea on the environmental impact. Cotton uses a lot of water. Wool needs a lot of land and there are concerns about the treatment of sheep, from the controversial mulesing to poor treatment during shearing.  But all fabrics containing plastics will eventually become microplastics. 
  • From Permacoach

  • Does the company have transparent information about product durability, waste, water usage, and its overall carbon footprint?
  • What does the company do with its excess stock? 

Consider my favorite punching bag, Boden. Boden makes adorable clothing! I have a Boden dress that I wear a lot and love. They make very big claims on their website.

Source.

Source.


This messaging is exactly why I bought from Boden. But then I started looking at sites that evaluate brands for sustainability and learned that Boden talks a big talk, but doesn't actually follow through. Boden's Good on You rating does not reflect any of their claims. 
Source. 


Here are some brands I own a fair amount of:

Mata Traders: I get a lot of dresses from this brand because their rating is pretty good, their prices are okay ($$ out of $$$$), they have a selection of dresses that use natural fabrics, and they have pockets in a lot of their dresses.

Source

Duluth Trading Company: I buy my leggings from Duluth because they are the only ones I can find that have pockets and are made of cotton with no additional man-made fabric. Does that justify me ignoring the rating that shows this is not a great company? 

Source.



There are places where I can not find a brand that meet even the most basic of ethical standards - think athletic shoes and sports bras - for those I have to just do my best. I usually decide humans > Mother Earth and look for things that were made in a NAFTA or European country. That's obviously not a 100% tried and true method of proving that things weren't made in sweatshop, but it's easier for me to feel good about something made in Italy than something made in India, China, or Bangladesh. (I mean, it's tough, right, because those people working in sweatshops in developing nations need jobs, too. There doesn't seem to be a good way to do this and hopefully you, dear reader, can read me gnashing my teeth at this.)

Second-hand shopping
So, why don't you just go to second-hand stores and thrift?  Good question. 
  • Most of the stores in my immediate area are full of items from Walmart, Target, and Old Navy. I am unlikely to buy those items and, if I do, they're likely to fall apart after I wash them a handful of times. I could drive an hour or so in any direction and get to "better" thrift stores, but I'm not pumped about doing that during my limited time off (since it's not "fun" for me) and I'm not thrilled about using endless amounts of gasoline to do so.
  • Second-hand shops are part of the problem, to be honest. (EVERYTHING IS.) The demand in second-hand goods is increasing and that's causing an increase in prices at thrift stores, which means the costs are out of the range of people who can afford them, namely low-income folks. The last time I was in my local Goodwill, there was a Target shirt with clearance tag marked under $7 and the Goodwill was charging more than that. For a shirt from Target! But, more importantly, much of the clothing that is donated goes straight to the landfill or is even burned (creating even more pollution!) or is sent overseas. 

The only real way to be an ethical consumer is to stop consuming. In the reuse, reduce, recycle phrase, there's nothing about re-buying.

But is that an option?  Can I keep wearing the same eight dresses for the rest of my life? Of course not. I live in these United States and have a professional job. I need to dress the part and cannot keep wearing the same old beat up clothing for decades and decades. 

Also, the thing is that the individual choices I make won't make an impact on the world. I am not a huge corporation. My decision to buy a dress or a new cell phone won't reverse global warming. But, in a familiar refrain you'll hear from me when I talk about things like watching the NFL, I think that while my individual buying patterns won't change anything, if most of us starting being more mindful of our buying practices, then those big companies would have to make changes. 

*******************
Okay, bottom line. What do I do?

1) I try not to buy a lot. I'm purposeful about what I buy. I wear things for a long time.
2) If I do buy, I try to use something with a good rating from Good on You.
3) If I can't find something on Good on You (or I can't afford it), I dig into what makes the rating low on that site. If it's a negative on human labor, I will probably dip out. If it's a negative on Mother Earth, eh, I'll probably let it slide. Does it feel crappy to write that out? Yes, yes, it does.
4) If I can't find out anything, I'll look at where it was made. Canada or the UK? I'll probably give it a go. China or Vietnam? I'll probably try to find something else.

*******************
It's not perfect, obviously. I still have some guilt about the sports bra I bought from Athleta. But unless I am able to grow and weave my own fibers, sew my own garments, and ensure a 100% sustainable process, this is where I am at.

*******************

Do you agonize over every clothing purchase you make? Are you wearing anything right now that you've owned for more than five years?

36 comments:

  1. THIS: "The only real way to be an ethical consumer is to stop consuming. In the reuse, reduce, recycle phrase, there's nothing about re-buying." It's true. We are all slowly destroying the planet just by our existence, let alone anything else. There is a lot of complexity and nothing at all is black or white, and I think you've really captured the essence of the problem.
    I was just listening to a podcast and one of the hosts talked about the slow fashion movement that began in 2016, and how it made her feel (wrongly, and she didn't do this, obvs) that she should throw out all her fast fashion clothes and buy everything new from sustainable companies. It's our society that makes us feel everything is disposable and we can just get something new. I have tried to be more conscious and mindful in my consumption, over the years, but I often fail. I guess I try my best. Most of my clothes are at least five years old, some of them more like 15 or more. I try to buy things that I know I will like and will last a long time, simple pieces that all go with my larger wardrobe.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There is definitely no perfect way to do it and I appreciate that you're mindful about your consumption habits. I feel like that's really the only way we can do it at this point. I literally cannot know about every garment from fiber to transportation to construction and it's super possible that I'll mess it up, right? So limiting consumption is the best way forward.

      That's definitely easier said than done, though, particularly depending on your job, social circle, etc. I can certainly see why an extensive wardrobe would be required for certain professions.

      Delete
  2. Sigh. It's so impossible. It feels that way, anyway. I decided that I'm just going to wear basic, classic pieces and Wear Them To Death. I'm retired, though, so I don't have the same considerations that you do.

    I do have clothes that I've worn for over a decade. I rarely buy new things, and if I do, they're basics that aren't identifiable Trend Items. I think it helps if you have a sort of Signature Style--that way, you are impervious to fleeting styles and trends. And you can avoid the impulse to buy so many new things all the time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes! This is one of the reasons I started working on building a uniform for daily wear. I am not over here chasing trends - I'm just trying to find pieces that mix and match with my daily wear. I am not tempted by many Instagram ads or catalogs I get in the mail if they don't have clothes that make sense for my life.

      Delete
  3. I like this discussion. It piggybacks nicely off Nicole's post about the climate change movie where the conclusion was that getting rid of humans would benefit the planet. Um yes but maybe there's a less drastic solution? My less drastic solution is your #1 - try not to buy a lot.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's interesting because I'm tracking my expenses pretty closely this year and I actually say I don't buy a lot, but it seems like this year I HAVE. I've bought three new dresses, a new fall/spring jacket, and have had my sandals resoled. I'm also taking a hard look at my winter boots (I purchased them in Feb. 2020 so they've only seen four seasons of use) and deciding whether or not they'll hold up to another season or if should be biting the bullet on a pair that's 50% off right now). I mean, I am a big talker, but am I really doing it?

      Delete
  4. This is such a thoughtful post, Engie. I love reading about your thought process (even though "love" isn't the word, since the whole thing is so impossibly sad). I really appreciate your "what do I do" list. A lot of good steps to emulate. This is an area where I have a TON of room to improve.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope it's helpful, even if it's not a perfect solution. I am 100% not judging people who don't do all this research - there are only so many hours in the day! I just want people to know that there are resources out there if they want them.

      Delete
  5. I have a lot of room to improve here as well. I'm well aware of the fast-fashion issue, but I still occasionally buy things from Old Navy or Target. I will say I don't buy much... I've been wearing some of the same things for years and years. Seriously, my running bras are probably ten years old (everyone says you shouldn't let them get too old, but mine are holding up just fine.) Having said that, I'm looking for a new cropped running tank top and I'll buy it from whatever company makes one that fits my specifications. I know at one point Athleta was talking about being sustainable- I'm not exactly sure how- but they're probably one of the companies that's all talk.
    I think it's impossible to live completely ethically unless we live out in the woods in a house we built ourselves, grow our own food, and never travel anywhere. But then it's easy to say "it's impossible so I'll just give up.' There's somewhere in between, but it's hard to find that balance. And, the real problem comes from the companies who are making these things. I feel like consumers are trapped in a lot of ways. But maybe that's a copout as well. Anyway... great topic.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I still have items from Old Navy and Target in my wardrobe, too! If you use them a lot and take care of them, that's great! You're definitely doing your part. (I have some Old Navy yoga pants that I've owned for at least 15 years and they are super durable and comfortable and I have no regrets about buying them.)

      I have an Athleta sports bra and I love it. Athleta gets 2/5 on all three criteria on Good on You, so it's not awesome. But I honestly can't find a good, supportive sports bra that IS good, so if you're going to buy one, I guess the best we can do is use them for a long time.

      Delete
  6. Ha ha, as soon as I saw the title I was like "like in that episode of The Good Place!", big, big fan.
    I often agonize over purchases. Sometimes I just get exhausted and bitter and despairing and stop for a while. I do wear things forever, but I'm also susceptible at times to the lure of the new. Plus I had kids! What the hell was I thinking!
    There is a lot to the notion that it has become very difficult to do anything very effective on the individual level, and it's very difficult to hold corporations to a higher standard. It is really frightening and disappointing - if not exactly surprising - that even with the very real indications of climate change increasing, the will to make big changes still just doesn't seem to be there.
    I do appreciate your outlining of the methodical ways to research how to make certain purchases - my disorganized brain would have trouble getting there on its own, so examples are useful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Having kids and going on airplanes are probably the worst things humans can do. LOL. But...like...there's a biological imperative, right? Telling people not to have kids is not a workable solution! And plane travel is a requirement for some people's lives! It's just how things are in a global world. I do understand all that, I promise. I'm not over here judging other people. I'm just trying to do my best like everyone else.

      Delete
  7. I am definitely far from perfect in this regard since most of my new purchases have come from Boden (didn't realize they ranked so poorly). I generally do not buy much in terms of clothing, though. I couldn't tell you the last time I bought something from Old Navy or H&M. I try to avoid "fast fashion" type of places and instead spend a bit more to get pieces that will last for the long haul. But it's possible for me to do that. I can see how a family in a different financial position needs to lean more on places like Old Navy, etc. I do buy things at a consignment store in our neighborhood and have sold a lot of things there. It's not the cheapest place to shop but it's also not terribly expensive and I feel better about trying to sell my clothes there versus sending them to goodwill where they might get thrown out anyways. I think what we are best at is using hand-me-downs for our boys clothes. I get a ton from another family and Kae just gave me 3 bins of clothes (and I gave her a bin of my pre-kid clothes that could work for her). But all that said, there is room for improvement.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was fooled by Boden, too! Their website is incredibly deceptive!

      I think the issue is that finding "fast fashion" is hard. It's obvious with some brands (Old Navy, Target, etc.), but there are a lot of expensive/high-end brands that are charging a lot more than mall brands and are being constructed in the same sweatshops. Just because you spend $200 on a t-shirt doesn't mean you're truly paying for people to get a living wage and work in safe conditions. It's really hard to figure out!!

      Delete
  8. As you've so wonderfully put it - this is a HUGE topic. Life is not arranged the way it was generations ago where people (and a lot fewer of them globally at that), largely created their clothing and other possessions based on locally-sourced raw materials. I don't own sheep, nor do I know how to sheer sheep, or spin wool, or knit for that matter. I don't grow flax. I can't compare old fashioned approaches to my current reality. BUT, the environmental trajectory we're on is utterly unsustainable.
    I don't have the magic solution. I think we all need to be responsible for our sphere of influence. I try to consume as little as possible and, thanks to where I live/my expectations and needs for clothing, I'm able to buy almost every item second-hand. That might not always be the case and then I will have to adjust my approach.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. YES!! This must have been so much easier when there were limited options (somehow I'm thinking of a general store in an Old West town - as if those people weren't causing massive bird and mammal extinctions and a genocide of indigenous people!). But honestly, I think it just comes down to being mindful and careful about purchases. And I think that both you and I are, so we're doing what we can.

      Unless you want to join me in opening a sheep farm?

      Delete
    2. Ha! Engie and Elisabeth - sheep farmers extraordinaire. We need to get Sarah from Wool + Home to help us knit the wool into clothing masterpieces.

      Delete
  9. Such a good post! I try to buy from sustainable brands if possible, but the sad truth is that none of them sell petite sizes. Most of my clothes are from brands like JCrew just because that's what fits. But, I do wear things for years! I also knit and make some of my clothes, and hope to sew more in the future. There is no good answer but I think making any effort at all is still better than nothing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, I never even considered the plight of the petites and other people who outside of a standard(ish) size range! Even Good on You only has a filter for plus sizes, not petites. It's really a struggle!

      Delete
  10. This is too much for me to deal with tonight, but I can tell you that our cat would be long gone if she had ever needed to fend for herself. And that is my pithy comment to your long post that deserved more.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Right. My cat would be killed really quickly if I put her outside right now after spending more than a decade as Her Royal Highness in our home. But she was born to a barn cat. Should we have taken her inside or left her outside to live a "wild life"? I mean, her life would presumably have been shorter, but would she have had a better cat life? We'll never know, of course, but it's definitely something I thought about a lot.

      Delete
  11. I love you, Engie--that's all. I love this thoughtful post and the way I've always sensed you try to live virtuously and lightly in this world. (I got an all-electric car in 2019... imagine my horror on learning how exploitative cobalt and cadmium extraction can be in 2023.)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. But--I used to be a chocolate freak, and now barely eat any because of oppressive harvesting practices and child labor. I moved to ethically produced chocolate for a while, but learned that there are so many layers of middlemen that it would really be impossible to guarantee safe and ethical harvesting. It is difficult to enjoy something made of other people's pain.

      Delete
    2. Don't get me started on the grocery store. I want to buy things grown and sold locally, but honestly I can not do that because of financial and time limitations. It would be crazy expensive to buy locally, especially during the winter, enough calories to sustain me and my husband. I could grow my own, can, and freeze, but that's would all take a lot of time and planning during the spring/summer and I have a full-time job and I'm not convinced it would save us that much money, once you factor in the labor and materials needed. So there's a whole additional post about ethical grocery shopping and I have to just say that at this point, we're not even thinking about it because we literally just buy what is safe for my husband to eat, regardless of any other humanity/environmental implications. *sigh* Modern life is challenging.

      Delete
    3. I resent that ethical consumption is a consumer choice instead of being governmental policy.

      Delete
    4. This is such a good point! Why am I over here trying to figure out if something was made with child labor - shouldn't the government be screening these things for me?!

      Delete
  12. This is a great post! My head swirls thinking about this often, and the battle between wanting things and wanting to be responsible. I do wonder if it was easier to be more ethical when there were fewer options - I wish I didn't have the option of every kid toy in existence for under £5 at my local store! or Amazon delivering *stuff* for almost nothing from thousands of miles away. I know the best course is to just not consume things, but that is far easier said than done. I do think that anything I can do as an individual helps. So the fact that we think about our purchases and talk about our purchases is a step in the right direction. And even though it's a drop in the bucket as an individual, large trends are always made up of individual decisions. Maybe you're reinforcing and promoting larger ethical trends in consumerism - and that can only be a good thing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Fewer options would be so nice, wouldn't it? It's decision paralysis!! I always post joking photos of the grocery store with eight options of Lucky Charms and dozens of PopTart flavors, but it's sort of not joking, too. So many micro decisions we make every day make the big decisions so much harder.

      Delete
  13. Thanks for sharing the link for the Good On You. I will use this going forward.
    I always ask myself before buying: DO I REALLY NEED IT? I'm trying to be a person without a bunch of needless stuff, so I'm conscientious about my purchases.
    Um, seems like we'd all be better off living in a nudist colony and call it a day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A nudist colony!! Why didn't I think of that as a solution to all of my woes!

      Delete
  14. I am so inspired by you, Engie! I love how thoughtfully you think about things like this. I am someone who does still wear fast fashion, and honestly, a part of it is because it's easier when I'm looking for clothes that will fit a plus-size AND petite body. I probably just need to do more research but I do know that a lot of these non-fast fashion clothing brands aren't the best about catering to plus-size people. But I see from a comment about that you can filter for plus-size fashion on the Good on You website, so maybe I will do that and see if I can find a 'ethical' fashion brand that way. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, I am NOT perfect. I just bought some winter boots because they were on sale and didn't even look up the company. But I try. *sigh* Someday I'll be better. As someone said upthread, I am also pretty lucky because I'm a relatively standard size - if you have anything that is outside "regular" sizing, it gets exponentially harder to find information, let alone find places that meet a certain standard. It's all so hard!

      Delete
  15. This is a really interesting discussion, and I'm with the others who admire the amount of thought and time you put into your purchases. That said, while I try to make better choices, I am in a similar situation to Sarah, in that I have a lot of difficulty finding things that fit me. I'm not standard sized, by any means. So yes, I do shop at (some of the) thrift shops in town. I do purchase items from Old Navy, because they make smaller sizes. But I also would disagree that everything from ON and Target disintegrates rapidly. I have things from ON that are nearly 10 years old and still going strong. I also try not to buy a lot of clothing, but have had to in order to fit a body that has changed in size.
    So I guess what I'm saying is, I try, and I'd like to do better, but I'm stuck because of what's available that will fit me, and that will work for my life. That's the corner the industry paints us into.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I think it's really hard for people who don't fit in a certain small range of clothing sizes and I appreciate the difficulties! And certainly not all stuff that is fast fashion is terribly made (although the fabric is probably terrible) - I have a pair of Old Navy yoga pants I've had for at least 15 years - but it's definitely more likely that something will be ill-fitting or poorly constructed if it's done on an assembly line. And I've definitely been fooled into cheap garments that do fall apart after a time or two through the washing machine.

      I think the whole point of the post is that we all try our best, but this world isn't made for thoughtful consumption.

      Delete
  16. Oof, I honestly didn't want to read this post (and deal with it mentally) because yes, I do agonize about these kinds of things but also often justify purchases that are not up to my ideal standards (because I need it, it's affordable, it looks cute)... it's hard to be an ethical consumer, not just because it's hard to find products that are completely ethical but also because it's a financial decision that is sometimes hard to justify. Sigh.
    I want to believe that I try, I don't consume frivolously and I do own a lot of things that I've had for well over 5 years, but I also like to have new things sometimes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There are no easy answers! I don't judge how people buy, but I recently saw a sign at my local coffee shop that they're doing a "Swap Day" in conjunction with a local thrift shop that people should bring 5-20 items of clothing they'd like to swap. Who has 20 items of clothes they're not wearing regularly?! It's the overconsumption that gets to me, I think, more than people who buy things that they can afford, but they wear them over and over and over again.

      Delete