Wednesday, January 24, 2024

Podcast Roundup January 2024

Look, I don't talk about current events or a lot of pop culture things much on this blog because of boring reasons. But today I am going to break my own self-created rule and talk about sports. I have not watched an NFL football game for years because of the following reasons:

1) The jingoistic nature of military flybys, the abysmal way the NFL handled the kneeling/sitting thing for the national anthem, and the overall conservative nature of the organization.

2) The general racism of the NFL. The way black athletes are paid so much less than white, the lack of non-white people in leadership roles, especially visible leadership roles like head coaches.

3) The advertisements that focused on things that I think are terrible for all of us as a country - alcohol, junk food, and gambling, in particular - and that those advertisements are often quite demeaning towards women and/or perpetuate gendered stereotypes.

4) The NFL's policies on concussions for former and current players. It truly is a crime that the NFL destroys strong young men's bodies and minds for profit and then offers no long-term support.

5) I am a Lions fan. There was a really rough patch there when the Lions were trying to defend terrible on-field behavior by their players. It was difficult for me to be a fan of a team that condoned this. And, honestly, it wasn't just the Lions. The number of players getting arrested for terrible behavior off the field for things like drunk driving and domestic violence started to get to me, too.

I know that ME not watching has absolutely no impact on the NFL or its bottom line, but I feel like if a lot of football fans took a stand and the NFL's ratings dropped, it would have an impact. Alas, not a lot of people are following my lead.

All of that being said, I still live in these United States of America and even I know that the Detroit Lions won their second post-season game last Sunday and I have to admit that my Michigan heart  swelled with some degree of pride when I heard the news.  Indoctrination is real.

*****************

It has been since OCTOBER that I last did a podcast roundup. How can that be?! I'm sure you're all on the edge of your seats wondering exactly what you should be listening to.

Earwitness is an eight episode limited series about a man who is on death row for murder, despite having an alibi, and the evidence against him is an earwitness who claims to have eavesdropped on an incriminating phone call. Look, I believe that murderers should go to jail, I really do. But I guess I'm more okay with murderers going free than innocent people being locked up. (My BIL has recently been promoted to a judgeship and we have this conversation a lot and it worries me because he is a great guy, gives me lots of book recommendations, and is generally smart about life, but his pro-police, pro-if there's smoke there's fire takes about the criminal justice system are not encouraging.)

I know you are all so sick of me talking about The Memory Palace, but if you haven't listened, I promise you'll love it. Nate DiMeo's voice is smooth as silk, his storytelling is unimpeachable, and if you like NPR's Unsung Heroes or Story Corps, you will love TMP. A soldier, a Yorkie, and a tale of friendship is the basis of the episodes "Smoky and Bill" and "Smoky and Bill, a Holiday Card." You will not regret taking the time to listen to them. 

So, look, I have to admit that I have not cared for the writing style of Ursula LeGuin. She is a speculative fiction author most known for her Hainish world and Earthsea books. I have DNFed books from both of those worlds, so it is clear that LeGuin's writing style is not for me. But I was riveted by the episode "Prologue to Ursula K. le Guin" from the podcast Imaginary Worlds, a fascinating look into LeGuin's personal background and writing philosophy with a focus on a lifechanging event from her childhood. It didn't necessarily make me want to read more of her works, but it was an interesting story apart from her writing.

Also, I need to do a shoutout here. Stephany and Nicole have been talking about how good the podcast The Popcast is for a long time. On their recommendation, I added it to my list, but what I added to my queue was Popcast from The New York Times, which is mostly Jon Caramanica talking about rap music and while there are occasional interesting episodes, I was confused by their adoration of this podcast. BUT! It turns out that they were recommending The Popcast with Knox and Jamie, which is entirely different. It's fun! It's two friends talking about random stuff! It's two friends not always agreeing, but doing so in an absolutely respectful way! It has a deep backlog, but I want everyone to know I've listened to the last year's worth of episodes in the last three weeks.  It's worth a listen if that's your jam (and it most definitely is my jam).

*****************

What's new in your ears these days?

(My husband has been playing the latest Gaslight Anthem album, History Books, in the car. My favorite songs from that album are "Michigan, 1975" and "The Weatherman" if you're more into music recommendations than podcast recs. As always, my all-time favorite Gaslight Anthem songs are "American Slang," "Biloxi Parish," "Even Cowgirls Get the Blues.")

29 comments:

  1. How funny that you were listening to the wrong Popcast! I'm not much into podcasts, though I'll check out a hockey one sometimes to see what's the latest topic. Words to knit to, or cook by, basically, though I go to audio books more often.

    I'm kind of grateful not to be a football fan for the reasons you describe. I remember talking about this a few years back with a friend whose husband is a big fan; she was going to get him some team-related thing as s gift, but couldn't bring herself to give the league money. Hockey isn't perfect, but it isn't quite as bad, I think. Though they sure do push gambling, which I don't like.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. All of the Lions gear I own (which is, to be fair, quite a lot) has been given to me as gifts because I never wanted to support the NFL monetarily. However, you best believe I'm wearing my Lions stuff with reckless abandon right now because when else can I? It's really tough to reconcile my anti-NFL feelings with how much gratefulness I feel to them for creating community in Michigan (and beyond).

      Delete
  2. Respect for all the NFL points you mention! I just learned why everything is now "Honolulu Blue" after the Lions win :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have been rocking a lot of Honolulu blue these days!

      Delete
  3. I so appreciate your thoughts about the NFL. I live in a big sports area (even if the local team is in a freefall) and often feel the ick about what gets celebrated no matter the horrors behind it. I recently started listening to Ed Gamble and James Acaster's Off the Menu podcast which is cracking me up, even if I get really hungry on my commutes from it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Off Menu!! That's such a fun podcast!

      Delete
  4. Since I live on the Michigan border and have attended ball games at the old Tiger Stadium, I am somewhat a fan of Michigan teams, but not for hockey. 😊😱

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sure, you Canadians will always root for your own in hockey. That makes sense to me.

      Delete
  5. We are a big football watching family here - mostly my Husband (who is an unfortunate Bears fan.) I did not get football until I met him. I kind of think of it as the Catholic Church (he's Catholic) - you know? Hugely problematic, but also often quite inspirational. Not that the things I consume are without problems either... (Opera - zero diversity, sexism, harassment, and emotional texicity! And that's just backstage... I guess you could say that about Hallmark movies too...)
    I couldn't get into le Guin either. I had read a book of essays by her that I really liked (No Time To Spare) - about aging and living, and I thought it was really fantastic, but then I tried reading one of the Earthsea books and couldn't figure out what was going on so I gave up. I don't do speculative fiction/fantasy well.
    I've been listening to random parenting podcasts these days - not the ones where people have it all optimized, but the ones where the hosts actually acknowledge that raising kids is kind of a sh*tshow.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We are married to the same man! I am married to a Catholic whose home team is the Bears! There's nothing quite like a house divided in the same conference.

      I do think it's hard to live in this modern world and not be involved in something problematic. I guess it's just important to be aware of how you spend your time.

      Delete
  6. As a longstanding Denver Broncos fan, I understand how hard it can be to support your team when they make questionable moves (especially when they aren't winning). It's even harder when you live smack dab in the middle of Packers Country!

    I love a good podcast. All-Fantasy Everything is a go-to favorite, and I've recently gotten into Hit Parade. Decoder Ring, Mobituaries, and Beautiful/Anonymous are other favorites.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hit Parade is one of my favorites. Chris Molanthy is such a giant nerd - I 100% appreciate that about him.

      Delete
  7. RE: The NFL
    Listen, I get you. I live in Cleveland. When the Browns employed a woman beater and then paid millions and millions and millions to a serial sexual abuser, I got beyond disgusted. I remember when they kept calling Dallas "America's Team" and there was a raft of criminal cases against their players.
    As far as the rest of the issues, I think it's getting a little better (with still a long way to go). There are a lot of black and brown GMs now in the NFL. More is being done about concussion care. But yes--the whole league is a paean to misogyny and toxic masculinity.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I just really struggle with the NFL. Why can't it be a better organization? I do hear you that it's starting to get a bit better in diversity, but if more than 50% of players are non-white, I would expect that ratio to hold at all levels of the organization. *sigh* Maybe that's an unfair standard to hold it to - maybe non-white players don't want to be executives and coaches? I guess I just ASSUME it's that they non-white former players aren't offered those opportunities at the same rate as white former players.

      Delete
  8. I hate the concussion thing. It's awful. I don't watch much NFL - I mean, I live in Chicago, need I say more. Seriously, you raise some good points. I chuckled at the junk food, gambling, drinking ads. Good point.

    I don't listen to podcasts. The mix up with you listening to the rap music one by mistake made me laugh. So funny. Maybe the next time I go on a road trip to drop a kid at college, I'll listen to a podcast and I'll lead with one of these, hopefully I'll get the right one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's so confusing when all these podcasts have similar names! It should be clearer for the idiots in the room!

      Delete
  9. I did not grow up as a football fan; I remember going to my uncle and aunt's house for Thanksgiving one year and they spent the whole day watching football and I just did not get it. We had never done that before; we always played games and went out for hikes and other active things, so this was a new world to me. I am a 49ers fan by proxy, but please don't ask me who their current QB is (is it Joe Montana? just kidding!) I will root for them if I sit down to watch a game, but don't really follow on the regular.

    Re podcasts, I have slimmed down my game a lot, since I now listen to a lot of audiobooks, but I do have a tried and true line up that I listen to. However, most of mine are more educational rather than current events related and my recent favorite is All The Hacks, where you can learn about hacks for all walks of life (but you will not learn about celebrity deaths :) on this one!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I want to listen to more audiobooks, but I really struggle to find narrators that can keep me entertained for the length of a book. A short podcast episode is usually easier for me. And I definitely listen to news and pop culture podcasts, so that makes it easier for me learn of celebrity deaths!

      Delete
  10. I don't like football, we are not a sports family, so it's easy for me to take the high ground and not watch. But the issues you bring up are salient, and I've been clueless about most of them. The concussion one, though, I knew about and it really worries me. Did you know there are more concussions in soccer than in football? Football has more risk of Chronic Trauma though. I wonder if we should all just play chess?

    We do sometimes watch the Superbowl, especially if the 49ers are in it. Otherwise, meh.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Soccer and gymnastics have lots of concussions, right? Sometimes I can't believe that the same parents who won't let their children walk to school let them play such dangerous sports!

      Delete
  11. When we stopped watching football, we got all our Sundays back and it felt like I had more free time, to be honest with you! I think of it as a time saving life hack to not watch sports. LOL. But I do miss being able to talk to people about it.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I support your stand of the NFL. I didn't grow up with Football, I have a hard time following where the football is during a game, so I usually don't watch it (although I have been to a few college games back in the day just for the atmosphere and college pride at the stadium).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's taken me a long time to figure out my relationship with the NFL. I did like to go to a football game when I was in college, too - such a great time in the student stands!

      Delete
  13. I am so glad you listening to the RIGHT Popcast and loving it. Jamie and Knox are my favorite people. Whenever I'm in a sad mood, I just put on one of their episodes and always feel better!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I will say that I wish they would learn the difference between number/amount and less/fewer because they seem like such smart people and then they say "less people" and it just snaps me out of it. LOL. Maybe that's a me problem and not a them problem. It is a fun podcast!

      Delete
  14. I have never truely gotten the hang of football but liked watching when I was in the US. Even went to some games here in Germany. Sadly those things you mentioned are not limited to football. I feel like soccer has some of those issues too. and if you start looking closely I am sure many more sports would not look too good either. Its so sad that it is all about the money. Always.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, yes, I guess a lot of these issues are widespread in professional sports. It's a sad commentary about what we prioritize in this world, isn't it?

      Delete
  15. I do pay attention to the NFL but completely get what you are talking about. The Washington Post just did a rather hideous expose on the concussion "settlement" and how they (the league) have STILL managed to provide less compensation to the affected players than required. One of the main issues (*gets on soapbox*) is that they have a bunch of old white men - for the most part - who own these teams. They hire people who look like them. Guess who does NOT look like them? (*gets down*) It will take a long time to change, for sure.
    Thank you for sharing about Gaslight Anthem, again. I do appreciate their sound and had not heard of them before!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I just don't think the NFL is going to change until people stop watching games. And it doesn't seem like that's going to stop anytime soon. I guess I sort of thought parents would stop letting their children play football, too! The stories about the health of former players are just too sad for me to deal with.

      Delete