Monday, February 26, 2024

Week Four: My Brilliant Friend CBBC, Adolescence Chapters 31-45

Past discussion:
Week One, Prologue & Childhood
Week Two, Adolescence Chapters 1 - 16
Week Three, Adolescence Chapters 17-30
   


 ********************

What happened in these chapters?

The Sarratores arrive at the beach and Nino does not like his father. While Lenù and Nino get along, Lenù ends her vacation early after Donato Sarratore sexually assaults her. Meanwhile, Marcello Solara is attempting to get into Lila's good graces through bribing her family. But then Stefano (son of Don Achille, who hangs over this novel despite his early death) buys the handmade shoes, gets engaged to Lila, and expands the shoemaker's shop. There is a debate about whether or not Lila has whored herself out with similar-aged people in the neighborhood. Lenù continues to do almost obnoxiously well in school. 

********************

Hat mentions (why hats?):

If I said something about the Very Holy Trinity, she with a few hurried by good-humored remarks cut off any possible conversation and wen ton to show me Stefano's presents, the engagement ring, the necklace, a new dress, a hat, while the things that I loved, that made me shine in front of the teachers, so that they considered me clever, slumped in a corner, deprived of their meaning. (page 261-262)

That is a lot of commas in one sentence.

********************

Lines of note:

Meanwhile, I felt better and better, I couldn't believe that life could be like this. Maybe, I thought, the girls of Via dei Mille - the one dressed all in green, for example - had a life like this. (page 217)

I asked you all about your first vacation without your parents last week and I enjoyed reading all the responses about going places with friends. This sentences reminded me of all your stories and the sheer freedom it often invoked.

I devoted myself to taking care of Nino. (page 220) 

AND

I bound myself instead to the Sarratore family. (page 224)

I think this is interesting stuff. Lenù has to be "soulmates" with someone, right? First it's Lila, but when Lila isn't it around, she shifts her attention elsewhere. Someone in the comments early on asked what exactly Lenù is missing in her life that she's looking for in her relationship with Lila and I think this provides us with a clue. She's so unaware of who she is, what her own interests/thoughts are, that she needs a foil. 

...she expressed herself in sentences that were well constructed, and without error, even though she had stopped going to school, but - further - she left no trace of the effort, you weren't aware of the artifice of the written word. (page 227)

Oh, I love this description so much. I am, like Lenù, super envious of natural writers. How can you be funny and smart and make it seem so easy? I can slave for a long time over writing and it still sounds like an AI wrote it. Hey, maybe I am AI!!

"Repay in what sense?"
"Give you money."
She smiled, then said proudly, "There's no need. I do what I like now with money." (page 259)

Oh, no. That doesn't sound good, does it?

When you saw her, she gave off a glow that seemed a violent slap in the face of the poverty of the neighborhood. (page 264)

I like the juxtaposition of the words glow and poverty here. There's sometimes a romanticism that people place on living in poverty and I feel like this sentence gets at the heart that sometimes the way out of poverty is the least romantic thing.

********************
Last week's homework:

Did you do a close reading for this week's passages.  Tell us all about it!

As a reminder, here's what the questions for lectio divina look like:

1) Narrative: Look at the quote and describe its place in the narrative. 

2) Symbolism: What metaphors are hidden in the text? What symbols do you see?

3) Reflection: How does this text speak to you in your life today?

4) Invitation: What action are you going to take?

My homework!

My sentence: I went home and showed them the notebook, full of guilt for the expenses that glasses would involved (page 257)

1) This is when Lenù's teacher realized she needed to see an eye doctor because she couldn't see the board in the classroom and the teacher wrote it down in her notebook and had her parents sign it.

2) I think the two things that this really showcases are guilt and expenses. There is so much guilt in this section of the book. She feels guilty because she sort of enjoyed Donato Sarratore's touch, because she enjoyed the beach too much, because she's going to cost her parents too much money. She feels guilty because she's self-conscious about her body, because she doesn't always come out ahead in comparisons with Lila, because she's been allowed to continuing school and Lila hasn't. 

I think it's also an indication of how much money plays a role in this entire book. The girls are always worried about money. How much money will cost to get books for school? To finally move out of the neighborhood? That constant need for money is the thread that ties all the storylines together. 

3) I probably need to make an appointment to see the eye doctor! I only have one box of contacts left.

4) I'm going to call and make an appointment.  Ugh. I hate it already.
********************

Things I looked up:

The Avellinese (page 218) - Inhabitant or native of Avellino, which is in southern Italy, east of Naples

orzata (page 230) - Sweet syrup made from almonds and sugar with a little rose and/or orange flower water. It has a pronounced almond taste and is used to flavor many cocktails.  

How much is 25000 lire today?  (page 244) - I think, if I did the conversions correctly (a big if), it's roughly 57,500 USD today, which is quite a chunk of change. This seems like...too much money.

Princess Soraya (page 268) - Soraya Esfandiary-Bakhtiary was briefly Queen of Iran in the 1950s. 

********************

Questions to ponder:

1) Let's discuss the role of fathers in this section. Don Achille looms large, as does Donato Sarratore. It felt a bit like the sins of the father are visited upon the sons in a way. What is your interpretation of the theme of fatherhood in this section? And what do you think about how Lenù's family is essentially absent from it?

2) One of the things I am loving about this book is its universality paired with its specific nature. It is highly specific to a time and place, but yet the feelings and situations that we see with Lenù are universal, including, unfortunately, the incident with Donato Sarratore at the beach. What impact do you think that will have over her in the long term?

3) What is the role of the shoes in this story? How does it compare to the role of the dolls in the early chapters?

4) How do you think this book is going to end? How do you want it to end? 

********************

Homework for next week:

Okay, friends, here's your homework. Pick one word/phrase/sentence from next week's readings that speaks to you in some way. Maybe it's just that it sounds pleasant or unpleasant to you. Maybe it feels like it sums up the book. Maybe it resonates with you on a personal level. Maybe it made you have all the feeeeeelings. Maybe it pissed you off. Tell us what the phrase was and why it spoke to you..

********************

Upcoming CBBC schedule:

Week Five
Monday, March 4 (update: this originally said March 1 - it is March 4 for sure, for sure)
Adolescence, Chapters 46-62 (pages 270-331 of the paperback Europa edition, timestamp 10:06:54-end on audiobook)

Week Six
Monday, March 11
Wrap up!

29 comments:

  1. I felt like I was flung back and forth among so many situations in these chapters. From the wonderful days at the beach, to the sexual assault and early departure, back to school for Lenu, and then the saga of Lila and Stefano and the shop. I was thoroughly revolted by Donato Sarratore, and it reminded me of why I dislike fiction audiobooks sometimes - if I had been reading this on-screen, I would have skimmed or skipped. (This is very much a Me Thing, and I do it with any section/sentence that makes me uncomfortable...) Close reading: 1) I ended up with "But then he did worse: soon I heard that he was telling nasty stories about us." (73% Kindle version, p. 283 in iPhone app) This is when Gino is jealous and/or mad at Alfonso and Lenu, who are sitting together in class. 2) Rumors and gossip, which are so toxic in so many contexts. 3) This made me think about how I am always so worried (really, too worried) about what others think of me, when I really need to just focus on doing what I need to do. 4) I'd like to say that I'm going to ignore others, but... that's not going to happen. ;) I'll try, how 'bout that?
    I, too, was struck by Don Achille's continued presence, despite his death, and also noticed the nearly complete absence of Lenu's family. So odd. She really does glom on to others, doesn't she? She doesn't seem to have an identity separate from that which others have created for her. I already know how it ends (because I had to read to the end, or I might not have finished it) and I confess, I was slightly disappointed. I'll leave it there. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do the same, Anne, in terms of skimming / skipping! Audiobooks make it so hard to glance down/forward to see how long a moment lasts...

      Delete
    2. I was just telling someone else on their blog that audiobooks of romance novels make me SO UNCOMFORTABLE because you can't just skim past the awkward moments and there are always so many awkward moments in romances. I actually do think it's why I mostly listen to non-fiction audiobooks.

      Oh, I think there's a lesson in there about how none of us should worry what other people think. But it's easier said than done, I'm afraid.

      Delete
    3. YES - that is exactly what I was referring to in my comment, albeit obliquely. ;) I am a bit of a prude, to be honest, and open door romances do not appeal to me. I even skim the sex scenes in Nora Roberts/JD Robb books. I know. Prude. What can I say?

      Delete
  2. Whoops, I didn't do my homework.
    I have no idea how this book is going to end but I felt a deep foreboding when Lila broke it off with Marcello (Marcello? I think so. I am having trouble keeping all the characters separate and I'm constantly referencing the list at the beginning). I loved the detail about the television, how he brought it as a gift and then later Lila got rid of it.
    Here's my next-week homework, since I'm thinking about it, and it's interesting you mention glasses: I felt SO triggered by the scene where she gets glasses and sees herself clearly. I could remember that in my own life with stunning clarity. It's hard to see ourselves clearly, both figuratively and literally, and can be so painful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The Solaras are not going to just let this go, are they? It seems very forbidding!

      Delete
  3. Engie, I am NOT A GOOD BOOK CLUB PARTICIPANT. I finished the book over a week ago because I just could not stay engaged reading it in small sessions. The only thing that stood out to me from this section was the the sexual assault scene. It was so haunting to me (made worse by reading ahead to the later books in the series) and just made me so, so sad. This book is dark in both subtle and overt ways. Poor Lila. Poor Lenu.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I actually found the sexual assault scene to be less traumatic than it could have been. I guess because it wasn't violent? Sure, it was gross and inappropriate, but I thought it could have been way worse. But in some ways the flat affect of the writing lessened the impact of it. But I also think maybe it's just Lenu's way of deflecting how much it impacts her. It's so complicated!

      Delete
    2. I had something similar happen to me as a tween with regard to sexual assault and I think that's why it REALLY stood out (and not in a good way). Which makes me wonder what traumatic/trauma-adjacent things I gloss over in books because I can't relate? I remember you mentioning how hard the Elizabeth Strout books were for you to read because you could relate on so many levels. While I found them utterly tragic and sad, I also didn't relate directly so my reading experience was so different from someone who could see threads of their own story reflected in Lucy's story?

      Delete
    3. I'm sure there is something about how closely a book resembles your experience that makes it mean more or less to you. I think it's interesting how some people really want to be seen in books and the closer the book is to their own experience, the more they love it, but for some of us (you and I included, Elisabeth), the more it resembles our experience, the more we want to push it away.

      Delete
  4. Homework
    Chapter 37, Page 242
    “Good: you think of a friendly price and I’ll come in three days to pick them up.”
    Narrative
    Lenu has come home from Ischia to find Lila and Stefano courting, though they are sort of keeping it under wraps, bringing Lenu with them on their drive, since Lila has not yet called off her relationship with Marcello. Lila tells Stefano to buy the shoes that she and Rino made, and now he is in the store, going to buy them.

    Symbolism
    I’ve never been very good at finding symbolism in literature. I’ll go with the number three. Three is a magic number, the number of the holy trinity that Lenu questions in chapter 43, and Lila says that spending time thinking about such things is a waste of time, because this life is made of suffering, and it was the Devil who invented the world, not the Father, the Son, and the Holy Ghost.

    Reflection
    I’m not religious, so instead of considering the holy trinity, I instead reflected on another symbolic trio, the mind, body, spirit connection. I feel like often in our modern world, the mind and spirit are held to a higher plane than the body. Actually, I think Plato also holds the body as the most base of the three. But without your body, your mind is homeless. What about your spirit? Is that contained in your mind, and thus in your body? Is this division real, or an artificial construct? Does one’s spirit live on after the body and mind are gone? How does belief in an eternal spirit work if one does not believe in a higher power? Do all dogs, in fact, go to heaven?

    Invitation
    I’m going to continue thinking about dogs, and hoping that they do indeed go to heaven. I’m going to continue taking care of my body, and treat it as though it is just as important as my mind and spirit.

    I too am struck by how little of the story is about Lenu's family. I wonder if we will ever hear about her siblings again? I couldn't wait anymore, and finished the book last night, so I know how it ends. Very dramatic, to me, and I'm thrilled that I won a copy of the next book in the series from Suzanne! YAY! I have been watching the HBO series since it came out, and loving it, so I know more of what is coming than those who haven't. I have found that the series is very true to the book, though I'm rewatching it now along with the book, and I understand what is going on in the show much more now than I did in the past.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I forgot to mention, there was a line early on in this section, when Lila asks Stephano if he is different, and he says the intention is there, but he doesn't know how things will turn out. Pretty honest and self aware, I would say.

      Delete
    2. I mean, I don't think there's any doubt that all dogs go to heaven. How else could heaven be a great place?

      I do think it's strange that we hear about everyone's siblings except Lenu's. Even in the list of characters, they're just afterthoughts.

      Delete
  5. Oh, Engie! I had a bad week last week and did not do my homework... indeed, I did not even do the reading... We're on winter break this week, so I hope to be caught up by March 4th (my birthday!).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Happy winter break! Happy birthday!

      Delete
  6. I enjoyed this section- I mean, I didn't like everything that happened, but I enjoyed reading it. As far as Lenu constantly trying to attach herself to someone- I know people like that in real life. My daughter has a friend like that- this girls always has a boyfriend (when one relationship ends she quickly finds another one) and she really submerges herself into his life. She doesn't have a great home life herself, so maybe that's where it comes from.
    Here's what I think will happen (although I have no way of knowing what's actually going to happen- my husband already read the book but he hasn't told me anything about what's coming up.) Lila, now that she's all spiffed up, will realize that she can do better than Stephano. She's a unique person and he's rather ordinary- his biggest attribute is that he saved her from Marcello. I'm not sure how this would play out- it would certainly create quite a scandal. Maybe she's scooped up by a wealthy man- not just wealthy by the standards of her neighborhood, but a man from out of town who could show her a whole new life. I'm not saying I want this to happen- I can just picture it from what I already know of Lila and the story so far.
    So, I failed in the homework. i tried it with a few different passages but then decided maybe I'm just not smart enough for this! Or maybe the passages I randomly picked didn't lend themselves... either way, I'll definitely do the homework for next week- I have confidence I can find a passage that's meaningful to me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOLOLOL. Oh, no! You ARE smart enough for the homework. It just takes practice.

      I am interested in this girl that always attaches herself to other people. It can't be ALL people who come from a bad home life, but maybe there is a correlation. I just feel like if you make connections that quickly and that strongly, you're going to be set up for a lot of pain in the future.

      Delete
  7. I haven't had homework in years, but here goes:

    I thought it must have been him and felt a flare of love in my veins that I had never experienced before. Chapter 31 page 216

    Narrative: Lenu meets up with Nino on her summer break on Ischia as they are staying at the same home she is. Her feelings for him are reawakened.
    Symbolism: “Flare” and “veins” capture the intense feelings that course through your entire body when falling in love.
    Reflection: While not as intense as adolescent love, it is nice to still have a love in my life.
    Invitation: Keep nurturing it.

    I think the era is the reason there is such a heavy theme of fathers. They have the money, therefore, the power. They own the businesses and being a small town, the people in the town are dependent on them. Lenu’s family is absent, but being an adolescent she is more likely to be influenced by her friends than her parents. It’s a time of breaking away. She is telling her story about her friendship not her family so I’m not missing them. Also, her mother is horrid!

    Donato Sarratore, another father with power. I imagine he will leave a lifelong impression on Lenu. It will be interesting to see if this comes up in later books – which I do plan to read.

    Oh, the shoes! I didn’t read ahead, but I have been continuing with the HBO series, and I couldn’t resist watching the final episode, so I know the ending. I won’t comment until next week. I agree with J that the series is staying very true to the book. Elena Ferrante is one of the writers on the series which may be why this is happening. I am glad it is as it is enhancing my reading experience so much.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Flare is such an interesting word. I sort of associate with fire and sun and that makes sense with the veins/fiery love situation.

      The shoes! I wish I could even imagine what the shoes look like, but I just can't imagine paying so much money for shoes!

      Delete
  8. I hated school, mostly because of homework, so I refuse to do it now. 😂 I did count that they said PIZZA at least four times in this section and that was my word to watch a few weeks ago.

    I loved Lenu's time at the beach aside from the creepy father. I kind of knew something like that would happen since his son didn't care for his father for some reason; finally a boy with a good sense of right and wrong.

    It blew my mind when the girls (and boys) went out to a restaurant and it was the first time ever for Lenu and Lila. WOW. I mean, we were poor, but not that poor. I know. It's a different time, but still.

    Lila and the money. Wow. This is not going to bode well. I don't know how this is going to end and I don't know how I want it to end. I do know that I had to stop myself from finishing the book as I want to keep on, but I pause so I don't get to far ahead and forget something.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You will forever be the kind of person who counts the number of times authors use the word pizza!

      I do think it's interesting that Nino obviously knows something's off with his father. Do you think he knows what it is? Do you think Nino knew Lenu was in danger? Does that make you think more (or less) of him?

      Delete
    2. I feel that Nico knows his dad is a philanderer/perv....but not that he'd approach Lenu. At least I hope he didn't think that would happen or he would have warned her.

      Delete
    3. I like to think he would have warned her.

      Delete
  9. The scene with the father is what really stood out to me in this section. It was so appalling and disgusting. Like Nicole, I was also struck by Lenu getting glasses. I should have had glasses years before I did. Lila at least used her money/influence for good by getting Lenu's glasses repaired for her. I'm also struck by the fact that Lenu is SO YOUNG and is engaged. I know that was common in that time but it's still really startling.

    I really don't know where this book is going or how it might end... But since it's part of a series I can see things being left unresolved/vaguely.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ME TOO, LISA. I couldn't see in a classroom for YEARS before I said anything to my parents because I didn't want to hear about how expensive they were/how careful I'd have to be with them. I also honestly still steer away from sports/activities with balls because I don't want them to break my glasses. *sigh*

      Delete
    2. Ready for a really bad story? My dad's a retired ophthalmologist. The school nurse picked up on my extreme nearsightedness and astigmatism in 4th grade. My father hauled me off to the office *that night* and double checked and... yeah. He took a picture of the note and has saved it all these years, LOL.

      Delete
    3. This is hilarious!!

      Delete
    4. I should get the picture. I bet he's emailed it to me at some point over the years. He still tells the story - and trust me, I'm a long way from 4th grade!

      Delete
    5. It would be amazing to see that note. How funny. Was your dad mortified?!

      Delete