Friday, February 23, 2024

None of This Is True by Lisa Jewell

 

None of This Is True by Lisa Jewell is a psychological thriller that casts doubt on every word you're reading on the page. Two women, Alix and Josie, meet at a club, both celebrating their forty-fifth birthdays. A few days later they meet again and Alix, a podcaster, can't resist making a podcast about Josie's turbulent life. Soon Josie is staying uninvited at Alix's house and we're given clues that things are not going to turn out well.

There are some legitimate criticisms of this book. There's not a lot of thought about mental illness in his book, it victim blames a child who is sexually abused, the ableism in the book is rampant (although realistic) and its depiction of female friendship as toxic is not the awesomest.

But I still find it compelling. I found the framing device of the podcast/Netflix documentary smart, the characters themselves were engrossing, and I couldn't wait to find out what was going to happen next. Now, I do feel the need to say that I don't read a ton of thrillers, so maybe all of this is perfectly predictable to those of you who read these regularly, but I found twist after twist to be shocking. 

4.5/5 stars

Line of note:

She tries to make her face look soft, but it’s difficult because inside she feels all hard edges and spikes and darkness. (location 2413)

Hat mentions (why hats?):

Had his high-vis vest on, holding his hard hat in his hand. (location 590)

Alix’s hair is under a hat, just one strand escaped, kicked across her forehead by the wind. (location 1170)

They’re casually dressed in jeans and T-shirts; they all have tattoos and one of them wears a beanie hat. (location 2102)

The girl in the beanie hat speaks. (location 2118)

Her hair is tucked inside a straw hat, also from Sainsbury’s, and she’s wearing red lipstick for the first time in her life, which makes her look even less like herself. (location 2770)

Things I looked up:

bottarga (location 63) - a delicacy made of salted, cured fish roe 

verrucas (location 2065) - a type of wart that affect the bottom of the feet

21 comments:

  1. I very much want to read this book! Can I also say that I adore your ongoing observation of the word "hat"? I wonder if that's something that will follow you forever.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Maybe every year I'll pick a different word for my reading scavenger hunt. In 2024, it's hat. What will 2025 bring?!

      Delete
  2. I liked this too! I was kind of over Lisa Jewel because I didn't like her last 2, so I figured I would read this one and see if she remains a must read for me. AND SHE DOES.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't think I've ever read any other books from this author. I feel like they skew YA (now I have to go to Goodreads and look this up - huh, maybe not?). But I liked this one and found it quite readable, so maybe I'll look up some of her other books.

      Delete
  3. I recently read this also and enjoyed it as well. I do read a lot of thrillers and it did not disappoint! I think she did a good job of keeping me on my toes while also having some cringe worthy parts and some excitement all at the same time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I certainly did not predict what was going to happen, so it worked for me on that level. This isn't going to win any awards, but I think it did a good job of doing what it set out to do.

      Delete
  4. This has been on my library holds for a long while and I'm still #46!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Boy, I hope it doesn't disappoint after all the hype.

      Delete
  5. I'm on the fence. I've read a few Lisa Jewel's that I absolutely adored, but also a few that weren't as good. I have a history of not liking books with podcasts in the plot, I'm not going to like the cringe stuff anymore than you did, but if I put both of those things aside will it still be worth it? Hmmm...

    Yes, anytime I see or hear the word hat, I take note thanks to you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hat finders for life!! I have *influenced* you.

      Delete
  6. I'm definitely intrigued! I read another Lisa Jewell, can't remember which one, and enjoyed it. I have a glut of books right now so I probably won't be rushing out to get this one, but I'll pick it up at some point.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is good, but I don't think it needs to go shooting up to the top of your reading list.

      Delete
  7. I don't like *reading* thrillers, but I do like listening to them on audio.
    I wonder if that is where Roald Dahl got the name for Veruca Salt in Charlie and the Chocolate Factory? Now that I know there is actually a word, the character just took a turn for me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, I didn't even think about Veruca Salt! Great connection!

      Delete
  8. Three comments eaten by the internet! Sounds interesting, thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, no! They didn't appear in my spam! Stupid internet!

      Delete
  9. I was looking at this the other day on Audible. Glad to get your take on it!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I bet it would be interesting as an audiobook. I wonder if it's one narrator of if the two women have different narrators.

      Delete
  10. Ive never read a Lisa Jewels book but it keeps coming up. I may have to give this auther ago one of these days.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, interesting! I haven't heard much about this author until this book, to be honest.

      Delete
  11. I think I just bought one of hers on super-sale on Apple books. Hm. This sounds kind of promising. I do like a mindless thriller...

    ReplyDelete