Tuesday, December 12, 2023

The Comeback by Lily Chu

I read The Stand-In by Lily Chu earlier this year and gave it 5/5 stars, so I was a bit apprehensive going into The Comeback that she would let me down. Let's see how it shook out. 


ALERT! ALERT! There is a HAT on the cover. HAT ALERT.

Ariadne Hui is a lawyer because her father wanted her to be a lawyer. She thrives on routine and if she's going to make partner at her law firm, she has to to things a certain way. Her roommate is out of town and forgets to tell Ariadne that her cousin Jihoon will be staying in her room, so one day Ariadne comes home from work to find a gorgeous guy sleeping on her couch. Apparently he's visiting from Seoul after a tough breakup, so he's going to be Ariadne's roommate for a bit. 

But Jihoon is not exactly who he said he was. And when the truth comes out, all of Ari's carefully laid plans may just fall apart. 

Interesting characters: I mean, look, who even cares about Jihoon. He seems too good to be true. I am Ari and Ari is me. We both think we should be doing something spectacular with our lives when what really makes us happy is something entirely different. Ari is relatable, hilarious, and I want to give her a big hug and a Prozac. 

Believable conflict: I mean, look, the basic premise of this book is insane and unbelievable. But if it WERE true, this conflict is 1000% going to happen. 

Emotional tension: Oh, for sure. There were a lot of false starts for these two and for legitimate reasons. I actually thought for a brief moment that they would end up not getting together again, especially when months went by and it was like New Moon up in there. (If you do not understand that reference, GOOD FOR YOU. Your life is better off this way.)

Happily ever after: For Ari, for sure. She's doing something she loves and has made real progress in dealing with her emotions. For Jihoon, hmmm. Well, he seems happy. Will they stay together forever? I don't know, but they seem happy right now. 

5/5 stars mostly because I laughed so hard during this book and really felt like Ari might be the most relatable character I've ever read in a romance novel. 

Lines of note:

I check Jihoon's room to make sure he's out before hunting through my playlist for the perfect song to motivate me for the day. "Paradise City" blares into the quiet apartment seconds later.

That's the stuff. I start slow but am soon scream singing my frustrations into a wooden spoon snatched off the counter as I fill the kettle and pop it on the stove to boil, full-on Axl Rose-ing it with high kicks around the kitchen before standing with my legs jabbing upward...I'm in the middle of channeling Slash with my spoon-cum-air-guitar as I beg the cup on the counter to take me home, yeah-yeah, when I attempt a complicated jump turn and nearly knock over Jihoon, who is standing behind me. (page 29-30)

LOLOLOLOL. *sob* The actual number of times my husband has found me dancing to GNR is non-zero. 

Really, the entirety of Chapter Four is some of the most hilarious writing I've come across in years. I was literally CRYING with laughter at this scene. 

I wouldn't be surprised if Hospital Waiting Room is one of the featured tortures of Hell, and they wouldn't even have to change the seating. (page 38)

Yes! Good observation, Ariadne. 

Again with my name. I didn't think I needed validation this much, but every time he's said it tonight, I had a warm sense of being seen. (page 50)

AND

I never felt any particular way about my name, but when Jihoon says it, it's like a caress. (page 75)

THIS IS ME. When a normal person says my name, it's whatever. But when my husband says my name? I melt into the floor.

I have to work tomorrow and the next day and the next and every day until I die. (page 51)

LOLOL. Catch me after a hard Wednesday and I am this same way. 

Idol. It blows my mind that's even a real job title, but professional nomenclature is not the apex issue of my problem pyramid. (page 152-153)

MY PROBLEM PYRAMID. I died. 

This gives me plenty of time to lie on the couch and think big thoughts, which include but are not limited to:
    My career, which is in tatters and I should attend to posthaste.
    My reputation, now trashed...
    New apartments I should be viewing and don't want to.
    ...
    Climate change, an enormous problem I contribute to by existing. (page 349)

If you've never collapsed on the couch and considered the repercussions of your own existence on Planet Earth, you will never understand me or Ariadne. 

Hat mentions:

SIXTEEN hat mentions because we have people trying to hide from the press. Brim of his hat, mask and hat, sunglasses and hats, bucket hats. We've got it all. 

Is this phrase a thing?

My parents are not the kind to have a wine cabinet, especially since Mom goes maroon after half a glass of chardonnay. (page 112) (italics added by me)

****************

Lily Chu is now an immediate must-read for me. TWO five star reads in a row?! Yes, please, give me more.

Also, hit me up if you've heard this "goes maroon" phrase before. 

11 comments:

  1. A hat goldmine and some witty internal dialogue... well done, you!

    My guess is that "goes maroon" is a reference to the "East Asian flush" or something similar?

    https://www.healthxchange.sg/food-nutrition/food-tips/asian-flush-alcohol-red-face#:~:text=The%20build%2Dup%20of%20acetaldehyde,a%20known%20cancer%2Dcausing%20agent.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ooooooh!!! I'm SO glad I asked this question. This is just not a perspective I would have thought of. Thank you for clearing this up!

      Delete
  2. I didn't love the Stand-In but I liked it, so I will give this one a go. I like funny writing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was wheezing at chapter four. Maybe it's only so funny to me because it is absolutely my life, but this author and I are definitely on the same wavelength.

      Delete
  3. No I've never heard that phrase! But maya's explanation is a good one.
    I don't know... I trust you but I'm just not into romance novels. I'll think about it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey, the premise of this book is ridiculous and I full admit that, so maybe it's not the best romance novel to dive into. But I found it very funny.

      Delete
  4. Well, I've never heard of it as "maroon", but "Asian flush" is a thing and the term is used a lot among my cousins when alcohol enters the conversation (or social gathering). It's part of the reason I don't drink myself. Plus, even just a wiff of red wine and my head starts to spin.
    I just finished the audiobook of her third (The Takedown) and enjoyed it. For something in the romance category, I find her love interests not too interesting - dreamy and perfect, but not too much character there. But I really like her protagonists, the female friendships, and the thorny issues she tackles.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. YES, Diane! Exactly. The male leads are too good to be true, but everything else is so great. I do like the female friendships and the heavier issues she deals with, but that don't leave the book feeling like an afterschool special. These aren't perfect, but they are perfect for me!

      Delete
  5. Yay! I'm a book influencer. LOL.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This sounds so up my alley! I am totally adding it to Libby. Thanks for the review!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Goes Maroon? That's a new one for me, but I like it. Maroon FIVE? LOL
    This book sounds great...I especially love a book when they can make me chuckle out loud.

    ReplyDelete