Tuesday, August 01, 2023

July 2023 Accountability Buddy

Saturday, July l
45-minutes yardwork - Brutal. 

Sunday, July 2
35-minute Caroline Girvan EPIC Heat (day 17 - legs) - This is tough. My legs were shaking at the halfway point and I kept lowering and lowering weights until I was down to bodyweight by the end.
30-minute yoga video for tight hamstrings, glutes and quads - This was a bit ambitious after the Girvan workout. 

Monday, July 3
60-minute yoga class at the community center

Tuesday, July 4
Day off

Wednesday, July 5
15-minute stretch class at lunchtime*
30-minute cardio & core class (we did four-minute blocks, two each of cardio and core - I have to admit that by minute four of core, I was on the struggle bus)
30-minute tabata class (I felt for my friends who live in tropical climates as I did this class - it was hot and muggy in our workout room and I was a miserable lady)

Thursday, July 6
35-minute Caroline Girvan EPIC Heat (day 18 - chest & core) - Another tough one. 

Friday, July 7
15-minute stretch class at lunchtime
30-minute Yoga with Adriene video 

I'm trying to do more yoga downstairs because who can resist this?

Saturday, July 8
45-minute hike in a county park with my husband. I might be exaggerating a bit here. I did this in flip-flops, so it wasn't super technical, but there were some hills (drumlins!) and tree roots to navigate around. I certainly worked up a sweat and had sore calves the next day.

Sunday, July 9
35-minute Caroline Girvan EPIC Heat (day 19 - total body trisets) - The finisher of Bulgarian lunges was laughable. 

Monday, July 10
15-minute stretch class at lunchtime
60-minute yoga class at the community center

Tuesday, July 11
30-minute total body tabata class
(I did 10-minutes of a yoga video before I gave it up as a bad job. I'll try again tomorrow.)

Wednesday, July 12
60-minute dance/yoga class at the community center
15-minute stretch class at lunchtime

Thursday, July 13
40-minute run (said hello to three other pedestrians, two people working in their yards, and waved to four passing cars - life in a small town)

Friday, July 14
15-minute stretch class at lunchtime

Saturday, July 15
30-minute Caroline Girvan EPIC Heat (day 20 - tabata full body HIIT)

Sunday, July 16
30-minute total body mobility Fitness Blender video - I just couldn't deal with another Caroline Girvan video. This almost felt like a day off it was so basic. 

Monday, July 17
15-minute stretch class at lunchtime
60-minute yoga class at the community center

Tuesday, July 18
30-minute total body tabata class

Wednesday, July 19
15-minute stretch class at lunchtime
30-minute cardio and core class (this was tough!)
30-minute body blast class

Thursday, July 20
Day off

Friday, July 21
45-minute run 

Saturday, July 22
60-minute Yoga with Adriene video - Sometimes I think YWA has a reputation as being "easy" because she does such a great job with beginners, but this was a hard, sweaty workout.  
Kicked it old skool downstairs again and I had a helper the whole time. 

Sunday, July 23
30-minute Caroline Girvan Iron series (day 1 - legs)  - I noticed I was avoiding doing lifting with CG with EPIC Heat, so I stopped doing that program and am going to redo Iron.

Monday, July 24 
15-minute stretch class at lunchtime
60-minute yoga class at the community center

Tuesday, July 25
30-minute Caroline Girvan Iron series (day 2 - upper body)

Wednesday, July 26
60-minute dance/yoga class at the community center
15-minute stretch class at lunchtime

Thursday, July 27
Day off

Friday, July 28
30-minute Caroline Girvan Iron series (day 3 - lower body)
15-minute stretch class at lunchtime

Saturday, July 29
Hours in the yard cleaning up after a bad storm

Sunday, July 30
45-minutes in the yard with more clean up

Monday, July 31
45-minute run - This might be my PR for the slowest, worst run. LOL. I went to my regular trail to run and I had failed to account for the fact that it was not cleaned up! I spent a lot time climbing over downed limbs. I also did a trip/fall in an area that looked fine, but had some soft ground (it was an actual hole, I think?) and was worried about my ankle for a brief period of time, so I walked for a bit.
15-minute stretch class at lunchtime

Totals: 27/31 (87.1%) days
19 days strength/cardio
9 days yoga
11 short 15-minute stretch classes at lunchtime

I feel great about this month, to be honest. Let's hope that momentum continues into August, but I sort of have my doubts!


*Our local healthcare group does free 15-minute stretch classes via Zoom three times a week. Come join us! It's free! It's fun! We talk about food in the chat almost every time! You don't ever have to be on camera. You have to register, but there's no cost. 

8 comments:

  1. This is amazing! Exercise really drops off for me in the summer so I find these posts inspiring. Does sweating through you vicariously work?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Absolutely. You can add all of my workouts to your list!

      Delete
  2. Oooh, you did a trail run! I'm glad the trip and fall wasn't anything serious- i've had many of those. About the Caroline Girvan workouts- they really can be brutal. I'm remembering some of them where I had to go down to bodyweight at the end, too. And, I did one YWA video and thought it was too easy- but maybe I need to give it another chance. Overall, this sounds like a great month of workouts.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Most of my runs are on that trail if the trail isn't flooded and/or filled with mosquitoes. It's beautiful AND mostly shaded, so it's a win-win for me. Yeah, that EPIC Heat series was too hard for me. Life goals for later, I guess. Iron is more my speed. I mean, Iron is still hard and I'm still sore, but there are fewer "I could never do that move in a million years, let alone with a heavy weight" moments.

      There are less intense YWA videos, but there are also some where she kicks your butt! I think 2Birds Yoga is consistently just the right amount of challenging for me, but I like YWA for days when I don't really want to be doing a workout. LOL.

      Delete
  3. Way to go, Engie. I think it's amazing how consistent you are. And yardwork definitely counts as a workout!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ugh. I hate the yardwork so much that it HAS to count!

      Delete
  4. Dude, yardwork TOTALLY counts. My dad does that all summer and it's why he's in the best shape of his life... at almost 80. So yes, hate it, but if you do it, it counts! I, too, am always astounded by the variety in your routine. Do you think YWA is adaptable? I can't do anything with pressure or weight on my arms/shoulders. Thoughts?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. YWA does a lot of floor work, particularly downward dog and table top postures that probably wouldn't work for you. YWA has a chair yoga video or two you could try and my niece has talked about Adaptive Yoga with Nina, although apparently some of that is still hard for my niece to do (she has CP). Those are the only ones I know off the top of my head, although I bet if you did a YouTube search for chair yoga or adaptive yoga you'd get more results!

      Delete