Tuesday, August 08, 2023

10.8 Art - Minty!

Bestest Friend and I are doing a blog project. Each day we will write a blog post on a pre-determined themed chosen by a random noun generator. The theme for the eighth day of the month is "Art."

****************

You know how when you say the same word over and over again, it starts to sound like gibberish? Wider. Wider. Wi-der. Wiiii-der. Wider. Wideeeer. Wider. What does it even mean?  


That is how it's starting to feel for me with these prompts. I take photos every day because I know I have to post something every day and as I'm scrolling through my photo gallery on the phone, I start to wonder is this photo of a barrel with New York written on it art? Is a photo of my dog with her tongue hanging out art? Can I upload a photo of a package I mailed and call it art? Is this grasshopper art? Isn't every photo art because I created it? 

And that's where we are in month ten, friends. 

I recently had a pity party for myself and asked you all for some tough love. Most of you were too sympathetic by half and no one told me to put on my big girl pants, which was honestly what I expected.  You are all very nice and kind and it made me tear up to hear everyone being so gentle with me. But some of you did tell me that if volunteering was stressing me out, I should stop doing it and find something that will be fun and less stressful. So I was at a meeting with the executive committee at the community center and I told them all that I would be resigning at the end of the year when my term is up and they need to figure out how to replace me. 

I already feel better.

****************

Is this grasshopper art? 

30 comments:

  1. Oh good for you, Engie! It's hard to give up those positions - I know this from experience! - but if it's stressful, it's time. And you're giving them lots of notice too.
    That happens to me all the time with words.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, I'm so glad to know I'm not alone in the way words become meaningless. LOL.

      Delete
  2. I'm glad you made the decision that gave you some breathing room. Nicole is right: you know when it's time to leave, and you did it the right way with plenty of notice. Win-win!

    For sure the grasshopper is art. Don't you see all the paint? LOL

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Someone painted it! It has to be art!

      Delete
  3. Oh, good, it was time for that to go! I'm glad for you.

    I get that way about words all the time. Especially if I have a report to work on where they spell something more than one way, it gets to a point where no way looks right. The brain is a funny thing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha. I used to have to type the word bureaucracy a lot and let me tell you that this word turns into just a jumble of nonsense vowels if you type it enough. *sigh* Language is weird.

      Delete
  4. Yay for getting the stuff that isn't serving you out of your life. I know it was a big step for you, so CONGRATS!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think I will continue to volunteer there, but just not in this capacity. I think that will bring the fun back for me.

      Delete
  5. Ha ha, I'm laughing at Nance's comment- sure, the grasshopper is art- someone painted it! Seriously, I'll call it art. Why not?
    Yay! I'm glad you are getting rid of your volunteering gig! You've done your part- let someone else take over.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Now I'm going to start thinking anything with paint is art. That guest room wall with nothing hanging on it? Obviously ART because we painted it!

      Delete
  6. That's a great first step!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha. Now I just have to do the hard work to make it a good transition!

      Delete
  7. Oh YAY! I am so happy for you, for taking that step and for the future reduction in stress!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Fingers crossed that it does lead to reduced stress!

      Delete
  8. That is awesome! Look at you taking care of yourself!
    And yes, that is definitely art. Someone created it. 💕

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is an expansive definition of art!

      Delete
  9. At this stage of life, if something isn't bringing you joy (or needed income) you don't have to do it! Life is too short to be miserable.
    On another note, I have no idea how you keep up with your daily posts; that exhausts me just thinking about it. 😳
    Anything is art if you say it is, right?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The idea of posting daily exhausts me, too. The end is in sight, though, and I think I'll be quite proud when it's all said and done!

      Delete
  10. Yay! I have a few things I need to let go of and I can already imagine the liberation I'll feel! I'm proud of you <3 You've given a lot of time and energy to this position and it's...okay to take a break!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have given a lot of time to the position! I'm excited to see what new opportunities are out there.

      Delete
  11. Leaving anything can be difficult for a conscientious person like you, but you did the right thing. Love the photo!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This grasshopper gives me a lot of joy when it's out. Such whimsy.

      Delete
  12. Good for you for resigning and putting you first!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! There was yet another crisis that I had to deal with yesterday re: this position and it really reinforced to me that I'm not the right person for the job. I already feel better.

      Delete
  13. Good for you, Engie, for quitting the volunteer position. It's not worth it if it's causing you stress. Let someone else take over.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Right on. Someone else has to do it!

      Delete
  14. I'm so proud of you for coming to this decision, and I know it was not made lightly. Hooray!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Onward to new and more productive opportunities.

      Delete
  15. I really hope that by getting out of this obligation - which, yay! go you! - you find joy in something else. (Hoping that makes sense, it's early, and I'm tired, LOL.)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think I will stay on as an active volunteer at the community center, just not in the leadership role I currently have. And I think it will ease my mind A LOT!

      Delete