Friday, July 07, 2023

9.7 Contact - Higher Than

Bestest Friend and I are doing a blog project. Each day we will write a blog post on a pre-determined theme chosen by a random noun generator. The theme for the seventh day of the month is "Contact." 

****************

This is my last nagging reminder to you, dear Reader, that our A Tree Grows in Brooklyn book club will begin on MONDAY! It's here. This is NOT a drill.  It's only about fifty pages a week. Please join us!

July 10 (Chapters 1 - 5)
July 17 (Chapters 6 -10)
July 24 (Chapters 11 - 18)
July 31 (Chapters 19 - 26)
August 7 (Chapters 27 - 32)
August 14 (Chapters 33 - 37)
August 21 (Chapters 38 – 41)
August 28 (Chapters 42 – 45)
September 4 (Chapters 46 – 51)
September 11 (Chapters 52 – 56)
September 18 (entire book wrap up)

****************

I have written about a yoga class called 20/20/20 that the yoga teacher at the community center teaches that I occasionally take. In my first mention, I suggested that perhaps I wanted more guidance in the class. In my second mention, I complained that I was uncomfortable with the journaling aspect of the class. In my most recent post about it, I did more complaining about the journaling. Well, friends, I'm here to say that I have done a complete 180 on this class. 


I love it.

At one point, Jenny wrote a comment here that I could just use the journaling time to write about whatever I wanted to. There's no need for me to write about my empowered vision of the future or what color I feel if that doesn't work for me. I sort of laughed because I am a rule follower, someone who wants do the homework right, and do what authority figures tell me to do because they must have their reasons for their rules.  But. Jenny was right.  My yoga teacher just wants me to do what works for me.  I wasn't actually breaking the rules, I was doing what I needed to do to have the most effective experience. 

So I love the first bit of the class where we dance around now. My teacher gives some instructions about focusing on gravity and root chakras and whatnot, but I just leave what doesn't make sense to me and focus on the music and moving my body and jumping around.  When we do unstructured yoga, I basically just try to do the same thing - a mini-practice I've created for myself - each time. I do a dead bug sequence, a couple of sun salutations, and then a warrior sequence. If there's time after that, I throw myself on the floor for some pigeon poses/other leg stretches.  So, at first this unstructured time was scary because I didn't know what I was going to do, but now it's predictable and it's comforting.

And then! The journaling. She usually has us journal at this point and I have taken to literally just writing down everything on my to-do list or anything that I've been focusing on while I'm doing the yoga piece.  

That means that by the time we get to meditation, my monkey brain has settled and I'm able to focus on my body and breathing. And I kind of feel like I'm high by the time we're done. Maybe more of a contact high than an actual high, but you know what I mean. 

When she asks me to share my journaling, I frequently tell her exactly what I wrote down and why and she's absolutely fine with it. 

Anyway, I do feel like this class is really helping me to focus on connecting with my own feelings and anxiety and how that manifests in my physical body. I'm converted. It's a weird class and probably not for everyone, but I'm 100% on the 20/20/20 train now.

32 comments:

  1. I read my pages, but now what? Are we all posting and linking to each other?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yay! for having read your homework. :) Just come back here on Monday and I'll have posted a synopsis and some questions to discuss and we can have a conversation in the comments!

      Delete
  2. I'm so glad you've found a way to make the class work for you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am, too. It's not exactly my style, so I am pleasantly surprised that I managed to find a way to make it my style.

      Delete
  3. I love hearing when/how people change their minds! I'm so happy you've found a way to make class work for you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I honestly do try to have an open mind, so I'm glad that my continuously going to the class was able to switch my POV on the class.

      Delete
  4. Good for you.
    I've gotten so far away from my daily journaling. I really need to get back to it. Maybe this is the reminder I've needed.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Daily journaling is hard. I do like that this class is only once a week!

      Delete
  5. This is amazing. I am so delighted for you that you have been able to shape this experience to fit your needs.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. It's fun and I'm glad I do it.

      Delete
  6. This is great - I love that you love it. I find writing everything down that's rattling around in my mind - I call them "brain dumps" - is such a clarifying, therapeutic activity.

    And I have READ THE FIRST FIVE CHAPTERS. I cannot wait to see what discussion questions you post and start chatting. So fun!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am so excited! It seemed so far away when I first posted about it (a month ago!), but now it's right around the corner!

      Delete
  7. I love this very much! I am definitely a teacher who likes to encourage doing whatever works for you so this speaks to me!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes. This teacher is so great about validating whatever I use the journaling time for. She's really a great teacher and I should give her more feedback about it.

      Delete
  8. 180 for the win!

    I've been limiting myself to one chapter a day but chapter 4 is very short so I just might end up breaking my self imposed rule today;-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've been trying not to read too far ahead, but it's HARD. It's just so readable. I'm impressed with your one chapter a day restraint.

      Delete
  9. Replies
    1. Yay! Can't wait to hear what you think.

      Delete
  10. I just read most of chapter one over lunchtime today. I read this for the first time as an adult but it was many years ago and I do not remember much aside from the line "the world was hers for the reading." I own very very very few books so lucked out that you picked what I would list as one of my favorite books, so I own it (even though I remember so little about it, I remember how I felt and that feeling was that I wanted to hug the book when it was over).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm finding that I remember very little of the book, too, except for the random vivid details. It's fun to revisit it and I'm glad you have a copy!

      Delete
  11. I finished chapter 5 today...I can't decide whether I want to read ahead, or stay with the calendar, so I don't have extra stuff in my head by Monday. I think I will stick to just the 5 chapters and read something else until then. Like Lisa, I have read this before, but it was ages ago, and I don't remember much other than loving it.

    Your 20/20/20 yoga class is different than anything I've heard of before. I'm not much for daily writing, except when I blog daily. I think your solution is perfect, getting things out of your head so you can meditate with a quiet brain. That's magical.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm trying not to read too far ahead because I don't want to accidentally spoil something in the discussion, particularly for first-time readers! It's a page turner, though, so I don't always *want* to stop!

      Delete
  12. I love that you have a found a way to make this class really work for you. It sounds like the teacher is pretty good.

    Luckily I have a open weekend to get started on the book and be ready by Monday.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I find that it doesn't take me very long to get in 50 pages, so hopefully you'll have plenty of time to read it.

      Delete
  13. That sounds really cool actually, although I am having trouble wrapping my head around stopping moving to journal. I haven't done any yoga classes in person, and I'm not sure when I'll feel brave enough to (I would if I could go to Nicole's class).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've found yoga classes a lot easier to do in person than other types of classes because literally no one is paying attention to you! They're too busy focusing on their own breathwork/body. I actually think the segue from moving to writing in the journal works pretty well because we do crazy dance/yoga/writing/meditation/(sometimes more writing) and it just seems to flow in this context.

      Delete
  14. Oh, that's funny! It just goes to show- we should be willing to give things a chance. The class seemed weird and uncomfortable, but you stuck with it instead of quitting, and now it's great. There's a lesson here!
    I have my book- now I just have to read the chapters. I'm about to finish the third Ender book (Xenocide) but should have no problem getting the ATGIB chapters read as well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm SO GLAD you've been reading the Ender books. They're so great. Maybe I should revist those books, too!

      Delete
  15. That sounds like a very interesting yoga class, I've never heard of one that incorporates journaling and meditation... but I kinda like the idea. Although I probably would feel like you in the beginning.... like, what to do with unstructured time? I am glad you've learned to embrace and like it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think the unstructured time would be really intimidating for newbies. You could always look at the instructor and follow what she's doing, of course, but if she's holding pigeon for five minutes, your hips will probably give out! I think she'd have to do some work on the class if it had a lot of beginners in it, that's for sure.

      Delete
  16. I agree with so many other commenters - what a unique approach to the class. And it's awesome that the instructor is willing to let everyone do their own thing. Does she ask others in the class what they wrote about? I'm curious about whether people tend to "follow the rules" or do like you have, and write what's important and front-of-mind for them that day. (FTR, I like your approach better.)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She does ask other people and the answer it that it depends. Some people write about their feelings and how they come out in their body, etc., some people write about whatever problem they're working through - it all just depends on the person and the day. As to whether or not that's what they actually do, I don't know since I'm taking their word for it!

      Delete