Saturday, April 15, 2023

6.15 Volume - The Bowls

Bestest Friend and I are doing a blog project. Each day we will write a blog post on a pre-determined theme chosen by a random noun generator. The theme for the fifteenth day of the month is "Volume."

*****************

When my husband's grandmother (do you say grandmother-in-law?) went into assisted living, we were handed down her curio cabinet and a beautiful cedar trunk. I was also given free rein to go through all of the serving bowls she had in her kitchen cabinets. Despite my extensive collection of scarves and scissors (update on the scissors front: my husband recently broke the pair of scissors that live in my upstairs desk and I haven't replaced it, but I think we all know it's only a matter of time until I replace it), I am not really a collector of things, but it is well known that I am a lady who likes bowls. 

My sister got this bowl as a wedding gift and said it was ugly. I laughed, told her it was lovely, and she gave it to me. I use it to store potatoes on the kitchen counter.

Here's the thing. We don't have a lot of tchotchkes in our house. With the exception of the handful of items in the curio cabinet (I can't bring myself to say "our" curio cabinet - it will forever be Grandma's), we don't like to have things around that are purely decorative. But bowls, you see, can be beautiful AND useful. And that's why I'm always looking at vases and bowls. 

A series I nabbed from my grandmother-in-law's collection.

Bowls aren't just useful for salads and the storing root vegetables. I have a bowl on my dresser that holds my bracelets and a bowl that holds my ponytail holders. I have a bowl that I use on my desk to hold the assorted pens, Post-It notes, and tubes of lip balm that inevitably collect. I love a good bowl.

Bracelet storage! A friend made this for me when he was taking a pottery class when we were in grad school. I've had this blog long enough that I even have a post about it.

I like how the bowls I've collected remind me of people and things I've done. I was describing a piece of pottery that I had lusted after, but decided not to buy to my mother-in-law and she went down into the basement and rooted around and came back up with the blue bowl below which was pretty much exactly what I wanted. She just handed it to me and said it wasn't doing anyone any good in her basement. Ha. I love it and when I use it, it reminds me of her.

My husband is one of five children and as each one of his siblings got married, a friend of his parents would give them a polka dot bowl that was part of a set of five. We were the last ones to get married, so we ended up with the smallest bowl, which I lovingly refer to as the Minnie Mouse bowl and it has been used for many a bowl of popcorn. 

Bestest Friend sent me a bowl as a present once and I use it for additional bracelet storage. (Hmmm...I think I need to acknowledge that maybe I do have a hoarding problem. So many bracelets, too!)


Do you have an affinity for bowls? What is your equivalent borderline hoarding item?

35 comments:

  1. I don't have a bowl collection but now I want one! Yours are gorgeous. I'm saying that the potato bowl is not ugly BUT it definitely looks better with Zelda in the picture.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha. She is generally not allowed on the counter where the bowl lives and she was VERY INTERESTED in it. I couldn't get a photo without her in it, so I just went with it. She rules the house, you know.

      Delete
  2. Yes, I love bowls, but I don't have as many (or as many pretty ones) as you do. It's funny because my equivalent item might be mugs, and I think you've said you only have one mug you drink out of every single day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, yes, mugs is the answer for you! We have a handful of mugs, but I have one Harry Potter mug I use every day because it's big (20 ounces) and fits my hand perfectly.

      Delete
  3. I would have called that the Minnie Mouse Bowl, too. I like bowls, and I especially like when dinner can be eaten out of one. I detest plates and much prefer largeish shallow bowls for meals.

    We are sisterfriends when it comes to Scissors! Because of a lack of them growing up (like you) I have a plethora of them in my house and have them in every single room. I wrote about it here. I think, at last count, I have 15 pairs.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We do not have scissors in the living room or primary bedroom, but I think there is at least one pair in every other room of the house, including the bathrooms! I will NOT be without scissors when I need them!

      Delete
  4. Oooh I love this! All of those bowls are so pretty. I do like a nice bowl, although I don't know if I have hoarding-level of them. I have a really pretty one that I keep on my table filled with decorative balls; it was a wedding shower gift. I also have a glass bowl that my MIL gave me, she just wanted to be rid of it, but I think it was my husband's nana's. Anyway, it's filled with smooth beach rock and shells that I collected the first year we were married.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think it's only hoarding level if you don't use them and it sounds like you do! They sound beautiful and special to you.

      Delete
  5. I love pretty bowls and adore all the ones you have! I don't have a ton of pretty bowls (maybe 8 total), but one of my goals this year has been to USE THE PRETTY BOWLS. I store charging cables in one, I've been serving food in some of my favourite pottery bowls instead of keeping them "safe" inside the cupboard. I store our fruit in a pretty bowl. I've been serving bread out of a giant wooden bowl that had just been sitting in a side cupboard.

    EVERY ROOM should have at least one pair of scissors. I feel very strongly about this!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. YES! I've started to just use pretty bowls when we're making popcorn or tossing a salad because WHY NOT? They shouldn't just sit in the cupboard - they want to be used.

      Delete
  6. I love your collection--your potato one is my favorite! I love pottery and ceramics too and use them everywhere and every day. I can't bring myself to use thrift store finds for food though, so I use them for storage and jewelry.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm happily going to tell my sister that she was wrong about the potato bowl. It's not ugly at all!

      Delete
  7. Oh, I too love bowls! I have many pottery and wood ones from craft fairs, and I love to use them for everyday things. Why not? They brighten everyday life.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Absolutely. Every day items can be functional and beautiful and I fully support that.

      Delete
  8. I do like bowls -- I like the shape of them and I love that they are functional. I'm glad you kept some -- they are gorgeous. I loved the story of the wedding bowls -- and yours is darling. What a great post!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think the story of the wedding bowls is hilarious because Ted's oldest brother has a bowl that is almost too giant to use! I laugh about it every time I think about it because we use ours pretty regularly, but I don't even know what you'd use a bowl as big as theirs is for.

      Delete
  9. A blog friend made me a heavy pottery bowl. It’s perfect for a cat dish.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes! If the cat can't knock it over, it will save you from a lot of messes.

      Delete
  10. I love your bowl collection! Each one is so unique and beautiful and I love the stories behind them! While I can definitely appreciate a good bowl, I'd say I'm more of a platter gal. Not that I own a lot of platters. But I do tend to linger over them when I encounter them in the wild. I also enjoy a good vase.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I only have a couple of platters, but I love them. I should really entertain more so that I can use my serving dishes more!

      Delete
  11. Wow! Those are all beautiful and I love seeing them and reading the stories behind them. I totally get that they connect you to someone. One of my friends is doing pottery now and gave me a few dishes and I cherish them. Hmm, what do I hoard... I have a lot of painted rocks people have sent me! I try hard not to have a lot of stuff but don't do a good job at it, lol.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, I imagine it would be hard to get rid of painted rocks someone had gifted you. I mean, it's such a personal gift!

      Delete
  12. Funny, I think your sister's 'ugly' bowl is absolutely beautiful. They all are, and I like the meaning that is connected to them as well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't think it's ugly, either! She and I just have very different taste in decor, I think.

      Delete
  13. I love serving bowls and serving dishes in general. It's good to have a lot to choose from that are different sizes. My husband would tell you we have way too many but he's a super minimalist. We have storage under the window seat between our kitchen and dining room so I feel like it's fine to have a descent collection of serving dishes. None of mine have any sentimental meaning attached to them, though!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I somehow end up with all the sentimental items. Oh, well. At least we have space for all of it!

      Delete
  14. I love that bowl your sister gave you. The funny thing about bowls is that the pattern is usually on the bottom, which is usually covered up with "stuff." I love how using the blue bowl reminds you of your mother-in-law. 💕

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A lot of my bowls are decorative on the outside, as well as the inside. I do wonder about how much time and effort is devoted to the inside of bowls that get covered up, though! It does seem like a bit of a waste of energy.

      Delete
  15. Oh my gosh. You are speaking my bowl language. I love bowls too! And vases! You can never have too many of either. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Right? You can never have too many and they serve a purpose!

      Delete
  16. All of your bowls are so pretty and each one seems both functional AND sentimental. That's perfect! I don't know if there's anything I buy too much of. I am a minimalist by nature and living in an apartment, I have to keep things from getting too out of hand. If I have to name something, I would say that I have WAY too many cat toys, lol. They have lots that are scattered around the apartment to play with and then I have two containers that are filled with more toys. So many cat toys!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We also have a billion cat toys and Zelda rarely gets to play with them because the dog is too nosy! It's hard to say no to buying more, though, because they're always so cute.

      Delete
  17. This post prompted some unexpected navel-gazing, as I started thinking about whether I have/had something similar. I've "always been" someone who attaches a lot of sentiment to things- I kept EVERYTHING, from every stage in my life. And yet, I've somehow... changed? Hm. I think I might need to write a post about this, because this + another post I just read got me thinking about who I am now, vs. who I used to be... (So, thanks? I think? And also? Your potato bowl is just lovely, and the color of the blue bowl... it's perfect.)

    ReplyDelete
  18. I love bowls. Like you said, pretty and useful. I don't have any keepsake bowls (maybe one day). The blue one that your MIL gave you is really lovely - how big is it? Is it a mixing bowl or a serving bowl (I can't quite tell the scale from the picture).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The blue one from my MIL is definitely serving bowl size. In our house it mostly hides cat toys, though!

      Delete