Friday, March 24, 2023

5.24 Family - Another Birthday Haul

Bestest Friend and I are doing a blog project. Every day we will write a blog post on a pre-determined topic chosen by a random noun generator. The theme for the twenty-fourth day of the month is "Family."

*******************

Another month, another family birthday party. My niece's birthday was Tuesday, but we got a text asking if we'd go to a birthday party tomorrow and I HADN'T YET GOTTEN A CARD IN THE MAIL, so I was thrilled to be able to say yet to the party and I was able to go on a mini-shopping spree to buy her presents.


She's turning nine, likes to wear makeup, play with her cousin, chase her dog, and dare me that I can't do cartwheels. She's getting the following, complete with gift receipts to return them if she wants to buy herself walkie talkies (I actually texted her mom to see if she wanted walkie talkies and was informed that their family has two sets already and she promised that I could play with them myself tomorrow, so now you know that my in-laws really think I'm a child and I have no defense for them to think this way because, you know, it's sort of true.):

LEGO Chain Reactions set - Recommended by some Good Housekeeping list. I dunno. It looks like a lot of fun to me.

Glitter Tattoo Kit - Look, I'm hoping that I get asked to help her and my other nieces put these on and maybe come home with an awesome glitter tattoo myself. 

The Never Girls Collection, Books 1-4 - This might be a tad too young for her, but we'll see. 

I don't think there is a family birthday around this time next month, but we will be seeing everyone for Easter, so be prepared for me to go on a rant about how my FIL's wife has a giant stuffed Easter bunny that she proudly displays which is...not okay in my world.

Would you let a nine-year-old girl paint a glitter tattoo on your arm? Do you have a go-to present for kids this age?

26 comments:

  1. Heck yes I'd let a 9yo paint a glitter tattoo on my arm! How come stuff like this wasn't around when we were kids?????

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Right? I remember LOVING temporary tattoos (so many from Cracker Jack boxes!), but I don't remember any glitter ones. I really am hoping that we have time to play with them.

      Delete
  2. Omg my daughter would have LOVED that glitter tattoo set! LOVED. She used to say her favorite color was "glitter." Boy do I miss those days. Anyway, I'll be very disappointed if you don't come home with a tattoo on your arm (or wherever.). As much as I tried, I could never get my daughter into Legos- but that set looks cool. I'm mad that wasn't around when my son was younger- he would have loved it. You are the best aunt ever!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. HER FAVORITE COLOR IS GLITTER!! Same, girl, same.

      My husband thinks that they'll probably open the presents AFTER the party and so I won't get a chance to get one. That is making me sad. Also, the weather is dicey for tomorrow, so we might not even get to go, depending on what happens with the snow.

      Delete
  3. Glitter tattoos sound like so much fun.

    I just gifted someone that SAME Lego chain reaction set. I also think it looks soooo cool!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm excited about this chain reaction set. It was highly recommended by GH, but sometimes I wonder if those recs are from actual children or just what adults think children will like.

      Delete
  4. You are such the fun aunt! I hope she loves them all. And definitely the glitter tattoos, yes!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. I try to be a good aunt!

      Delete
  5. When I was nine (approximately one hundred years ago), there was a set called Funny Freckles, which were rub-on tattoos. They simply transferred onto your skin by rubbing the back of the paper they were on with a tongue depressor. I loved those things.

    Please come home with at least one glitter tattoo and post it here.

    Now I want a Funny Freckle and some cake. Sigh.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We also had temporary tattoos, but they weren't glittery! I feel like this is as good an opportunity as any to relive my childhood.

      Delete
  6. I am like everyone else here and wishing for tattoos when I was a kid. That is such a cool gift.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm starting to think I should have ordered several boxes of them and shipped them to my bloggy friends!

      Delete
  7. Glitter tattoos= amazing, and we have that chain reaction game— very fun!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, if these get approval from you, I'm feeling more confident about them!

      Delete
  8. Oh I think the glitter tattoos wins the birthday gift game! At least it would in my house. Unless it's real glitter. Then I would curse your name cause that stuff gets everywhere. It's insidious.
    My daughter was gifted that book series when she was eight or nine. I haven't read it myself, but she seemed to like it!
    Walkie talkies are also fun. Maybe you need to get your own set for your house?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hm. I'm tempted by walkie talkies, but don't know exactly what we'd do with them. I'll just try to use theirs when I'm visiting, I think.

      I think it might be real glitter. Six glitter pots! Maybe I'm a good aunt, but terrible SIL?!

      Delete
  9. Oh The Never Girls got me in the feels! My daughter read them a couple of years ago and just fell in love. It's so hard to guess the right age-range of books, but my girl loves re-reading old favorites, so she's gone back to these more than once.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, great. It was another recommendation and I am happy to hear they're good books!

      Delete
  10. I do not have go-to presents for kids of any age LOL I usually ask the parents for some suggestions or contribute to a bigger gift.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I always feel bad asking parents for recs because I know that they want to give their kids good presents and not always give all the aunts and uncles the good ideas! But I do sometimes ask if they already have something (like the walkie talkies) just to save them a trip to return items.

      Delete
  11. I love seeing what you got her! It's so fun to pick out gifts for kids! Yes I'd let her paint on me! My go to is to ask the parents for ideas because so many I know tell me they have too much stuff.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think any person who wouldn't let her paint on them is just downright cruel! The birthday girl gets what the birthday girl wants!

      Delete
  12. I'm giggling so hard. I love your childish self!!
    The giant bunny. I'll never NOT think of you when I see bunnies now.
    Of course I would accept a glitter tattoo....do you think I'm a monster? 😜

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do think anyone who turns down a glitter tattoo is a monster! We're going to bring the present to her on Easter, so there's still a chance I'll get my tattoo!

      Delete
  13. Glitter tattoo sounds awesome. Glitter in the house? Not so much. (Christmas cards with glitter are pure evil. No one is in the holiday spirit after dumping an envelope full of glitter detritus on their floors...at least, I'm not. ;>) Hope you made it to the party!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have an aunt who always puts extra glitter in her holiday cards. I get so upset about it. Now I know, though, and I open her card over the trash can!

      Delete