Saturday, November 26, 2022

1.26 Moment - Things I Love Right Now

Bestest Friend and I are doing a blog project. Every day we write a blog post on a pre-determined theme chosen by a random noun generator. The theme for the twenty-sixth day of the month is "Moment."

****************

San regularly writes posts where she lists her favorite things of the moment and I'm always amazed that she has new things to talk about. I mostly just rely on old standbys, so I would rarely have enough to fill a post beyond my Kindle, the public library system, my special pillow, my SAD lamp, and my podcasting app (Podcast Addict, if you're curious), but I thought I'd mention a few of my favorites that I haven't mentioned recently or at all. 

1) Jockey Skimmies - I'm a lady who wears dresses. I mostly only wear dresses, to be honest. And I'm also a lady who has curves. So that means my thighs can chafe when I wear dresses and for years I used to avoid wearing dresses because of this reason. Enter Jockey Skimmies. They're lightweight and prevent all chafing and are absolutely wonderful.  I have them in a variety of lengths in beige and rarely wear a dress without them.  

2) Chom Chom Roller - Do you have a dog who sheds no matter what the season is? Or a cat who constantly rubs up on the corner of the couch closest to where you usually sit as she angles for pets? Well, let me tell you - you need a Chom Chom roller. Hannah the Dog regularly sits by me when I'm the couch and I just absentmindedly pet her and by the time we're done, there's a giant pile of dog fur on the rug. I don't want to get out my vacuum to clean the mess, but the Chom Chom can remove it. You can also use the Chom Chom to clean very disgusting cat trees. Ask me how I know. Anyway, if you know a pet owner who doesn't have one of these guys, spend the $20 and get them one for Christmas.

3) Canmake sunscreen - In my sunscreen roundup, I dithered about what my favorite sunscreen was, but I want you to know that I have settled on Canmake and don't regret it. It's lightweight, moisturizing, and scent free. What more can you ask for out of a sunscreen?

4) Fanny May S'mores Snack Mix - I was at Costco without my husband and I browsed a tiny bit and this accidentally fell in the cart. You know, as that happens. It's freaking delicious and if I ever see it again at Costco, I will definitely be getting more of it.

5) Helping Hands from Lush - The eczema on my hands is exacerbated by stress, so you can probably imagine how it's going these days. I've found that if I use Helping Hands on a regular basis, I can usually get away without the topical steroids I sometimes use to treat my eczema. It doesn't irritate my hands and it has a scent that goes away almost instantly. It's a tiny bit greasy, but if you rub it in, that doesn't last long. I've found very few skin products that work for me (basically it's this or Vanicream), but this one is great if you have sensitive skin.


What's something you're recommending to everyone these days?

21 comments:

  1. Oh, I could definitely use that roller! And I'm going to look into the hand cream. I sometimes have issues with my hands- I guess from washing them so much at work, and I also think the massage lotion I was using was irritating them. I've switched over to an oil and it's much better... but I can still use some help.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ugh. My skin is SO sensitive that if we so much as change our laundry detergent or dish soap, I break out. It's not fun. If you are a frequent handwasher, Helping Hands is a great option!

      Delete
  2. Wait, you mostly wear dresses? I had no idea! I HAD NO IDEA. I don't know why, but I am very surprised. I guess I pictured you as a pants person. Like, are you wearing a dress when you walk the dog? I NEED MORE INFORMATION PLEASE.
    Are the skimmies like shapewear? Are they kind of compression like? I often have to wear compression stockings for my varicose veins.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Pants are hard for me because I rub my thighs and the fabric is destroyed in the inner thighs. I think I have maybe three pairs of pants and a pair of jeans. I WANT to wear jeans, but it hurts to spend that much money and then destroy them within ten wears. Most of the time, you'll find me in dresses and skirts.

      Skimmies are definitely NOT shapewear. They are slightly cooling (helpful in the summer) and prevent chafing. They are not compressive, at all. It's just for those of us with curves whose thighs rub. *sigh*

      Delete
    2. I am so intrigued by this too!! I want to like, see some pictures of these dresses. My issue is that I really actually struggle to find pants that are COMFORTABLE on me. I think I have a weirdly sensitive waist line or something to the feeling of anything touching me or digging in even slightly when I sit down. High rise styles have not really been my friend. On the surface my body does not look like it should be hard to dress, but I swear, it is!! I am so often uncomfortable in any "real pants" (although they might look nice) and just have a heck of a time finding ones that fit me right... and a majority of pants off the rack are too short for me, too. I have often thought maybe I should just give up on pants and wear dresses or something (day to day, I often live in leggings when I work from home, because they are so extremely comfortable compared to anything else.) I have done a bit of shopping lately in an effort to improve my pants situation, so I'm in a little better shape with my pants wardrobe right now, but it's still just always a headache.

      I am also intrigued by this shapewear! I do wear dresses sometimes in the warmer months, and I can't stand the feeling of my sort of sweaty legs touching when I sit down or them sticking together.

      Delete
    3. I actually find leggings to be problematic, too. The bands frequently roll and I also rub holes in the inner thighs. *sigh* You don't look at me and think "that lady has THIGHS," but I do.

      Again, these aren't really shapewear. They provide a way to prevent chafing and some modesty (if you're frequently getting up and down with children or pets), but don't compress at all.

      Delete
  3. I love wearing dresses, so really need to invest in some shapewear/skimmies. I definitely get the thigh chafing (#hello curves)! That S'mores mix looks amazing as well.

    I've been recommending robovacs to everyone I know lately because I am IN LOVE with our Eufy (we just got a second one, too - how did I become "that" person). I also would not want to live with a Yeti. I use it to keep drinking water cold, not hot drinks hot, and I use it every single day I'm home.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Robovacs are so expensive. Hm. Maybe I'll investigate. It's the kind of thing my mom would love to get us for a holiday present. Can they handle a lot of switches from hardwood to rugs? We have a lot of uneven surfaces and I wonder if the robovac could handle that.

      Delete
  4. Definitely going to try that sunscreen-- the perfect combo.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am going to have to try the Jockey Skimmies -- I have a pair of battered Spanx but they could use a replacement. As a person who wears dresses, can you recommend a pair of tights that isn't miserable to put on and also doesn't get holes immediately? Perhaps such a thing is a unicorn, but I would LOVE to know if it exists.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hmmm...I am almost a 100% Hue lady at this point in my life for tights and nylons. I have never found tights to be as unpleasant as other ladies, though, so I might not be giving you good advice. They are durable, though, and I don't have issues with them tearing or ripping (and I have a cat, so that's real!).

      Delete
  6. I have cracked dry hands all winter, but my daughter has actual eczema, and I was just about to place a Lush order, so this is a very welcome recommendation that we will be trying. I also did not know about the Jockey things, and I will refrain from getting excited until I know if I can get them in Canada - I am also a curvy lady who wears dresses a lot. The snack mix sounds great but I find Costco annoying for having something awesome that you get once and then can never find again. I hope your luck differs on this - I have a habit of falling in love with things that are then discontinued.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, the S'mores mix has been there three times in a row, so I'm quite pleased with that! But, I do know what you mean about things just disappearing from Costco. I try to pay attention to the brand, so if I really want something, I can order it directly from the manufacturer if Costco stops stocking it at my local store.

      Delete
  7. These round-ups are so fun (even if you *think* you have nothing to share, there are always new "favorites" every once in a while)... thanks for sharing these awesome things. I had no idea that you're mostly wearing dresses (see, another thing to learn about you!) and I remember that you mentioned this sunscreen before and I am super intrigued to try it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow! I didn't know my dress habit was news to people!

      Delete
  8. Jockey Skimmies! How have I not heard of these? Oh I can see them in my future. My recommendation is Kiehl's Ultimate Strength Hand Salve. I've found nothing better, it absorbs quickly and is scented with eucalyptus or pine or rosemary-- or something herbal, not floral.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, the Kiehl's stuff irritates my eczema. I think it's the scent or something. I'd like it to work, though, since it's so easily available!

      Delete
  9. I love those types of Skimmies; they are a girls best friend. The roller looks pretty amazing as does the s'mores treats!!
    After the day I've had, I'm recommending a nice glass of wine. LOL 😳😜

    ReplyDelete
  10. I need a new pet hair roller! I used mine too aggressively at one point and it fell apart, haha. Plus this one seems like it would be gentler on the couch. My old one would rip the seams, which was very annoying because my couch is fairly new!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Love the hand cream suggestions from you and the commenters, particularly because my hands have entered the "so cracked my fingers are bleeding" phase of winter. Sigh. Where do you get the super-fancy one?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The Helping Hands is at Lush. There's a Lush at Hilldale (there's also a Lush a Wayfair, but I think Wauwatosa is further for you). Vanicream is usually available at your local drugstore. We buy it at Walgreen's!

      Delete