Tuesday, August 02, 2022

Tuesday Randomicity: Someone Tell What To Do

Suzanne does these Randomicity posts every so often and I always admire that people can be thinking about so many things all at once. Generally, my thoughts are "I hate my job," "why does the dog need so many pills?" and "how can I fit in a workout today?" and then my internal thoughts have been completely exhausted. But today is the day! I have random thoughts. 

1) What to do about Agnes?

Agnes is our old 2010 Hyundai Elantra. She was our first big purchase together as a couple. She is, however, now a 12-year old car with more than 240,000 miles on it. Things are slowly starting to fail. The fan on the driver's side no longer works, so the AC/heat doesn't work particularly effectively. The remote locks only sometimes work. A couple of years ago, some mice died in the air filter thing and poor Agnes has had a vague smell of gross ever since. We have started to consult one another about how much gas we're putting in Agnes* ($20? $5?) and now we have to face some real dilemmas. The car is due for an oil change. Technically speaking, it was due for an oil change about five hundred miles ago. Do I take it the dealer? Just to some Valvoline place?  What do I do?  The car could use some new tires. But. Do I spend that much money on a car we rarely drive out of town?  Do I bother fixing the fan?  WHAT DO YOU DO WITH YOUR OLD CARS? **

*We have different levels of comfort about how much gas is in the car. I really don't like the tank to get below a quarter tank. Dr. BB will let the warning light come on if left to his own devices. This leads to a bit of friction at times, although I think now Dr. BB will fill up more often than he normally will if he knows I'll be driving. I just vividly remember going to a book club  on a cold, rainy night and realizing that there was only an eighth of a tank in the car and stopping to fill up the tank on the way there and Dr. BB was utterly confused because there was plenty of gas to get to book club and back, but that's now how I do things.  Anyway.  

**We had one car for the vast majority of our marriage. It's only since 2020 that we've had a second car. And it's useful to have a second car. So I don't want the answer to be "get rid of it" because only having one car payment is nice, you know?  

2) "Ghost in This House" meaning?

Dr. BB was out of town last weekend, so I listened to a lot of Spotify as I did things like clean out my closet and make chocolate chip cookie dough*. The song "Ghost in This House" by Alison Krauss came up and I spent a good deal of  time pondering this song. Is the dude dead? Is he still there, but the relationship is in a terrible place? Is she actually in a new relationship with a new dude and she's pining for her ex? Why is it so ambiguous?  

There's a version by Shenandoah and it is clearly just a break up song. I'm not worried someone is dead when Marty Raybon was singing it, but Krauss makes me wonder. 

*Just the dough. I didn't actually make cookies. I just made a batch and froze it for future use. Also, we were dangerously low on butter, so I when I bought the chocolate chips, I also bought butter and I paid $6.49 for a pound of butter at the store and I realized that if you never hear from me again, it's because I can never leave the house ever again because I bankrupted us in order to make cookie dough.

3) Why are so many songs about sex?

At some point it has become clear to me that I have never reconsidered the real meaning of any songs from my youth. I thought "Into the Groove" was just about dancing until very, very recently.  So I was rather astounded when I realized that "Will You Still Love me Tomorrow?" by the Shirelles is about the day after they have sex. I mean, it's SO OBVIOUS if you pay any attention to the lyrics, but I've been assuming it's just a sweet little love song about teenagers. Why am I this way?  

4) Why are feelings always more complicated than you think they will be?

My father-in-law and his new wife have sold the house where my husband grew up, where I met all of my in-laws, and where my mother-in-law died. They are moving into a new house late summer/early fall. I have very complicated feelings about this. I get very attached to places and the idea of never going back to this place is painful. But it's also painful to go there now with his new wife, who is a lovely woman, but who is definitely not my mother-in-law, who was also a lovely woman and that house is so identifiable with her that it hurts to see the new wife acting as hostess there.

My mother moved out of my childhood home several years ago and it hurt to pull out of the driveway for the last time. And this feels just as heart-wrenching, but I don't feel as if I'm justified in these complicated feelings, so I'm just not saying anything to my husband because it feels weird that I'm mourning something that was never really mine. 

5) When an acquaintance is ill? 

Dr. BB's current and my former co-worker sent out an email that he has recently been diagnosed with cancer. I know very few details, only that he is currently feeling no effects of the illness, but that he is supposed to have treatments through next spring and, as we all know, those treatments are probably going to be bad. He sounded optimistic in his email, but sometimes I sound optimistic about life, too, and you all know how that is in reality. 

He's roughly our age, single, and his family lives in California. He lives in a city about 20-25 minutes away. We used to regularly socialize with him, but since the pandemic, I don't think I've seen him once. He loves Hannah and Hannah loves him. 

In general, I'm quite concerned about his lack of social support. Dr. BB and I both sent emails (him volunteering for errand running, me volunteering Hannah as a therapy dog), but I'm pretty sure that's not enough. On one hand, I'm not really close to this guy. On the other hand, he is all alone. I want to help him, not just right now, but in the future.

The advice I see online is to basically just say, hey, I'm going to bring you groceries/dinner/my dog to pet on X day, but that seems really overstepping. How should I approach this? I don't even have this guy's phone number, although I'm pretty sure Dr. BB has it.  (Update: Dr. BB and I each sent him emails and he responded very positively about seeing Hannah and giving us his phone number, so I think we'll make it a priority to go visit him with the dog in tow. "All dogs are welcome in my home, especially Hannah" is the direct sentence, so I think we'll visit, let Hannah get pets, and then figure out what else we can do from there.)

So, I'll take any and all thoughts on what to do with a car on its last wheels, how to interpret songs on my Spotify list, and how to help out a sick friend. Also, I'll take any thoughts on how to make my brain stop cycling on these topics on an endless loop.  

20 comments:

  1. I am completely floundering this summer! I feel paralyzed by all the loose ends of life and my brain feels completely fried. So I have very little to offer by way of advice other than: I hear you, I understand how confusing the house/car/life situations can feel. *Virtual hug*

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I sometimes wish someone had written a handbook to tell me how to adult. It's not the running the dishwasher, exercising regularly, or balancing my checkbook that's the problem, but these hard decisions that seem to have no clear answer.

      Delete
  2. I am not much for giving advice, but I'll try with Agnes. Unless I am getting it wrong. she's a second car and a local runabout. If that is indeed the case, it might be beneficial to do what it takes to get a few more years out of her. Every situation is different, though, so take that with a grain of salt.

    I think you are on-track with co-worker friend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, you're right. It's our local runabout car. When it was our only car, I took it to the dealer for everything, but now I guess it's time for her to get demoted to quick change oil changes!

      Delete
  3. I am hopeful that the act of dumping all these thoughts into a blog post helps stop the churning; sometimes it helps me. I think your approach to the friend with cancer is a good one. And that once you've established a visiting routine, it will be easier to KEEP visiting and to notice whether he seems to need a hot meal or a ride to chemo or whatever.

    Also, I think you just keep Agnes as long as it makes financial sense. As in... go to Valvoline and change the oil and make sure the tires aren't actually threadbare or anything, but don't put a bunch of money into it. (And my experience with an older car is that every time you take it to the dealer they recommend $1000 in repairs.) I am sure my car-guy father would blanch at this suggestion, because rubber things deteriorate. But if you're not, like, driving it on the freeway or for long distances or counting on it for regular transportation, maybe just babying it along will work? Now I am going to go listen to Alison Krauss. (By the way, I ALWAYS find myself hearing a song's true, raunchy meaning for the first time after I've heard the song a million times... and usually when I'm introducing it to my kid. Sigh.)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Someone was mentioning to me that they sell used tires and that might be a solution for Agnes. I didn't know there was a market in used tires, so I'll have to dig into that. At this point, the trade in value for Agnes is about $500 (or that's what we were offered when we bought our new car about two years ago) and we're just going to keep it running as long as we can. We don't need it to go far, just to go.

      Delete
  4. I totally get it: sometimes all the little things feel overwhelming and exhausting. I'm afraid I don't have any answers for either of us, but hang in there.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The sense of defeat in this comment made me chuckle a little. It DOES feel overwhelming and exhausting, but I guess it's good that we are still alive. At least that's what I keep telling myself.

      Delete
  5. If your intent is to keep Agnes for the forseeable future, I would take her to get serviced. Is the thought that you don't put gas in her because you use her so infrequently that the gas sits there for too long? I don't like going below a 1/4 of a tank, but my husband doesn't either!

    With my previous car, I had it for 13 years and then the transmission failed on me. My then-boyfriend-now-husband had suggested I sell it multiple times but I was very stubborn and wanted to keep the car as long as I could. I regret that now as I got what the car was worth for scrap metal since something so major was wrong with it. So if you want to trade it in at some point for another car, I would do it sooner than later!

    So I actually think your sentimentality about your in-laws home is maybe more normal than my utter lack of sentimentality about the home I grew up in. Suzanne's posts recently have me thinking about my childhood home and how little I cared when it was sold... but I did not like the area where I grew up and if I never go back to my tiny ND home town again, I would not be sad... But I think I am moreso the outlier in having no feelings of sadness about my home. I wasn't very sad when I moved out of our last house either even though it was the house where Paul spent the first 1.5 years of his life! I am a ISTF and my T (thinking) is VERY strong!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The thought behind the gas conversation is that each of us is a tiny bit worried that every trip with Agnes will be her last trip and we'll feel dumb filling up the tank just to have her break down. The trade in value is laughable. We were offered $500 when we bought our new car two years ago, so I'm pretty sure Agnes is just going to die with her boots on in our care.

      Wow! I am so emotional about places. You and I are extreme opposites in that way, I guess!

      Delete
  6. Well, I think you kind of answered your own question about the sick acquaintance/friend. Moving on to the car question... it's definitely tricky. For a while I was driving a 20 year old Corolla, and of course all sorts of things were going wrong. At one point the "check engine" light went on so we took it to the dealer, and they gave us a huge, long and expensive list of everything that was wrong. We just fixed the things that were absolutely dangerous and figured we would take our chances on everything else. I think I drove around for another year after that with the "check engine" light on- we had a joke that I should just put a piece of duct tape over it so I couldn't see it. So I guess that's my advice- fix anything that's dangerous and put up with everything else, and get as many more miles out of it as you can. Oh, and during that year I hesitated every time I got gas. I didn't want to fill the tank because I was never sure when the car was going to break down completely. In retrospect this all sounds slightly insane, but it was sure nice not having a car payment!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Right? Not having a car payment feels so luxurious. I guess until the repair costs are equivalent to a payment, we'll just keep limping along in poor old Agnes.

      Delete
  7. My two cents - buying a car is kind of tough right now, so it probably makes sense to keep Agnes going. I've had good luck with Vavoline type places - just ask around locally to see who everyone likes. What enquiring minds would like to know about the gas empty light is if you or Dr. BB have ever had a car completely run out of gas on you and does that account for the difference in your comfort levels? I've only had that happen once and I'm completely comfortable waiting until the light goes on but once it does I take it seriously.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't think either of us have run out of gas, actually. I think it's just a comfort level. I'm too high strung to be willing to chance that there won't be a gas station in the next 40 miles when the light comes on.

      Delete
  8. I'm not the person to ask about the car thing. We have more garages than anyone I know and they're filled with running vehicles. (mostly vintage) I generally get a vehicle for myself at 75-100k.

    I'm always amazing at song lyrics when I ACTUALLY learn what they mean.
    I listen to a lot of country music, classic and new and I'm always shocked that so many off them are about alcohol.

    I can see your dilemma about your acquaintance. I too am an empathetic person, so I think you guys did the right thing for now and I know you'll find your footing for the future. I can't imagine being alone and knowing that someone out there cares and can assist if/when I need it is a blessing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes to country music having so much alcohol and sex! It's crazy because I'll listen to a song I've hear a million times and all of a sudden it's like a brand new song. I don't understand this phenomenon.

      Delete
  9. A randomosity post! Fun! Mmm yes, so many songs are about sex or (I listen to a lot of hip-hop) violence. Or violent sex. What does that say about me. Huh. I remember reading something about Summer of 69 and that it was about 69 and not 1969, and I was...well, disappointed I guess. Not that I'm sex-shaming anyone but, I really thought it was about 1969. Oh, and Good Golly Miss Molly, that old timey song from the 50s, was about how much Molly liked to f***. So, um, yeah! EVERYTHING HAS SEX IN IT.

    ReplyDelete
  10. If your plan is to keep Agnes for as long as you can, I would definitely look into getting her serviced. With my old car, I would just take it to one of those quicky oil change places where I sat in my car and they changed the oil, checked the tires, added fluids, etc. It was never more than $30! Or you could take her in to a mechanic to get it looked at and make sure there's nothing that needs to be fixed. A lot of times, you can get a free service check with an oil change. I would often do that and then whatever they wanted me to fix, I would go to a local mechanic for since he was LOADS cheaper.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Since currently is not a really good time to buy a new car, I would probably agree with some of the others here and say, get Agnes fixed and see if you can keep her a little longer.

    As for your not-quite-yet-friend with the cancer diagnosis, I think your heart is in the right place and I love that you want to help him and try to establish a closer relationship, so it doesn't feel awkward to offer help or for him to accept it. Your plan to visit with Hannah is a good start! I hope all goes well for him. It's awful to be in a place with little support.

    ReplyDelete
  12. late commenting just to say, I vote you keep Agnes, too. I feel you on the no car payment thing and I plan to keep my car as long as the financial balance makes sense... but then again, I am one person with one car, so take my advice with a BIG grain of salt.
    Also, I wouldn't discount your grief at the house where you knew and loved your MIL being sold. You say it's not really yours, but I'd say that it is, actually. It was a place you integrated into your life and maybe it wasn't the place where you grew up, but it's a place that became important to you because of your marriage. (I'm not sure that makes any sense but...?) Length of time doesn't = meaning, in my opinion. (Again, BIG grain of salt...) <3

    ReplyDelete