Tuesday, February 22, 2022

Updates You Didn't Know You Wanted

1. Costco

We recently got a Costco membership. We started buying one of Hannah the Dog's medications there because it was literally hundreds of dollars less than getting it at our local pharmacy (you can use the Costco pharmacy even without a membership).  Now, the nearest Costco from our house is about an hour away, so a Costco membership isn't exactly a perfect fit for our household, but we have to go every month for the dog's pills, so here we are.  I walked in the first time a few months ago and saw a 3-pack of Cetaphil hand soap for $19.99. I use Cetaphil because most hand soap irritates my eczema and Cetaphil is quite gentle and doesn't bother me if I wash my hands dozens of times a day, but it's so much more expensive than Softsoap. I was shocked at this price because it is $14.99 for a single 20-ounce dispenser at Walgreen's. I immediately reported to my husband that I thought we could save the $60 membership fee in hand soap alone and he acknowledged this information, but didn't really care much, so I let it drop. 

This went on a for a couple of months. But then came a month in which I could not go get the prescription myself and Dr. BB had to go. He saw the same deal on Cetaphil that I did and immediately started lobbying to get a membership. 

We went last week with our fancy new membership cards and spent $100. I thought I'd give you a brief rundown on where we saved money.

Cetaphil: $19.99 for 70 ounces versus $14.99 for 20 ounces (at Walgreen's), so that's 28.5 cents per ounce versus 75 cents per ounce - quite a big difference.

Listerine: $12.49 for 67.6 ounces versus $7.99 for 33.8 ounces (at Walgreen's), so that's 18.5 cents per ounce versus 23.6 cents per ounce - not as big a difference, but now I don't have to buy it for a long, long time.

Frozen chicken breasts (for Hannah): $18.49 for 6.5 pounds versus $12.49 for 3 pounds (at our local warehouse grocery store), so that's $2.84/pound versus $4.16/pound - this is a difference that makes a difference at the rate the dog eats chicken.

Eggs: $3.69 for 2-dozen cage free, certified humane versus $3.49 for 1-dozen cage free, certified humane (at our local warehouse grocery store), so that's 15.4 cents per egg versus 29 cents per egg - we are big egg eaters here, so this was a STEAL as far as we were concerned.

Gasoline: It was $3.35/gallon at the gas station in our town as we drove out of town, but $3.09 at Costco. We'd never drive all that way to fill up, but if we are there, we'll inevitably fill up the tank.

There were a couple of drawbacks to the store.  I didn't think the produce prices were all that much better than our local warehouse grocery store, but the pharmacy items and paper products looked insanely inexpensive to me. The biggest thing that came up for us was that a lot of products were not clearly labelled gluten-free, even if they probably were. They had an excellent price on butter (I can't remember, exactly, but I was quite thrilled by it), but the butter wasn't labelled as GF, although the ingredients looked safe. This is a pattern I've found at other stores, too (I would LOVE to shop at Trader Joe's or ALDI, but their labelling practices are atrocious), so I wasn't surprised by this, just a tiny bit disappointed. 

Overall, though, I definitely think we'll save the $60 membership fee within just a couple of trips. Mostly in hand soap.

2. I did call the veterinarian

I wrote a panicky post about how Hannah the Dog was in pain and what exactly I should do for her. The bad news is that she's still frequently crying in pain, but the good news is that it's much less often and less intense than it was last week. I did end up calling the veterinarian and she is Very Concerned. 

(This vet is the fancy neurologist vet. She had a dog who looked very much like Hannah and I'm convinced that's the reason she's so responsive to my phone calls. The one and only time I ever met her, she pulled out her phone and showed me pictures of her dog. Hannah and this dog I only know from photos could have been litter mates. The vet also told me that her dog was just as sweet as Hannah and so I trust this vet really does care about what happens to my little girl.)

So, just for a quick reminder. Hannah has an infection in her spine that is visible in very expensive imaging. Unfortunately, it's in a place that is difficult to biopsy, so it's unclear if it's bacterial or fungal. She was on a course of antibiotics for nine or ten months when the imaging showed increased levels of infection. We took her off those antibiotics about a month ago because they obviously weren't working  and she's been on an anti-fungal for a couple of months (this is the medication we go to Costco for). The vet has suggested we try a NEW antibiotic, in addition to the anti-fungal, but this one is only available through veterinarian supply places, so I just ordered a 40-day supply from Chewy for $145. The vet keeps telling us that discospondylitis should be treatable and we just have to be patient and wait for the right medication, but it's very hard to have that level of patience since with every day that passes, Hannah's spine is degenerating and hundreds of dollars are regularly flying out of my checking account.

(I was less panicked about Zelda in that post, but still had some anxiety about how she had turned into a cuddle monster. I wrote the exact same thing about her in February of 2017, so I'm convinced she just turns a corner at some point during the winter and wants to be warm again. Who can blame her? I'm going to put my worries about the kitty on the back burner.)


3. Back pain

In terms of my own back pain, things are slowly getting better. I still have pain at night, but by the time I've spun the dog around the block in the morning, it's gone. It's much less intense than before and it doesn't tend to bother me during the day. I think if I continue to be careful with my movements and keep up with the PT exercises, this will be a thing of the past soon enough. At some point in January, I did a HIIT workout and was in pain the next day and when I told the physical therapist about it, I could see him simultaneously want to roll his eyes and smack me.  I have been rather forcefully told to rein it in for WEEKS after the last of the pain before I do high-impact again. 

For those of you who were interested, I did two sessions of dry needling. In each session, I could feel IMMEDIATE relief of the muscle that was wound up tight. By the time I left the PT office, that relief was lessened and I could feel it tightening up again, but I slept so well on those nights. Since the procedure was done in conjunction with exercises and stretches, it's hard to say exactly how effective it was, but I think I would generally recommend it, particularly if your PT has had training in it.

I chose dry needling because I will do just about anything to avoid strangers touching me. The PT tried his best to avoid touching me too much, but the idea of massage makes me sick to my stomach. I know Jenny is a massage therapist and I know they do so much good for so many people, but when the PT told me my options were massage or dry needling, it wasn't much of a choice for me. He also recommended foam rolling as an option for someone with me with these types of issues. 

4. Unnecessary panic

Our garbage day is Thursday.  I have an alarm set on my phone to remind us to take out the trash on Wednesday night and since we have moved into our house, we have never once missed a garbage day. (Knock on wood, I guess.)

But on Wednesday mornings, a garbage truck drives by our house just before my alarm goes off and every Wednesday morning, I sit bolt upright thinking that I have somehow forgotten. I just thought I'd share this little insight into my world.

5. Job search

Things at my job have gotten slightly better, but they are still not great. I continue applying to jobs that match my skillset, although I haven't had much luck since I got an interview quite early on. In the meantime, it's a good place to be looking for jobs when I already have one. There have been quite a few times when I've wondered if I should just quit and get a job at the flower shop down the street, but I'm not there just yet. Fingers crossed something comes up soon.

13 comments:

  1. It looks like Costco can work for you. I don’t think we use anything in bulk enough to make it worthwhile. Besides, I/we don’t like the place.

    Garbage day here is also Wednesday, and we’ve never missed even tough they’ve tricked us a few times by coming much earlier than usual. However, as long as we get it out by 9, I don’t think they can get here any earlier, no matter what route they choose.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like that Costco pays a living wage to its employees and there really are some bargains in there. I guess that's what the membership fee is paying for. I'm surprised at what we actually do go through in bulk - paper goods, chicken for the dog, and vitamins come to mind immediately - and I hope we're able to make good use of the membership.

      Delete
  2. Well I NEEDED to know that you had joined Costco. A store opened in our town several years ago and my husband and I put so much work into reasons why we didn't need a membership and the whole thing was stupid...and then we joined and now we don't know how we ever made it without them. Butter and frozen chicken (mostly for us but sometimes for the dog as well) are two of our go-to's. We also resisted getting their credit card for a long time and ended up being happy with that as well.

    Hang in there with the job search!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The frozen chicken price was simply amazing! I'm going to do some research because I want to make sure the Costco chickens lived a good life, but I'm cautiously optimistic that I'll be able to buy chicken there with reckless abandon!

      Delete
  3. I love life updates, so I actually did know I wanted these. :)
    First off, Hannah. I didn't know what her actual diagnosis was, and I'm so happy to hear it's something that's treatable! Of course, incredibly frustrating that they haven't found the correct medication yet. I thought maybe this was a life-long thing, but the fact that she could potentially be cured someday is encouraging.
    We also have a Costco that's kind of far away. We had a membership for a year but didn't renew it because it was too much of a hassle to get there. Everyone seems to love it though so every once in a while I think we should try again. We probably could be saving a lot of money.
    Yes, it sounds like dry needling was the right choice for you! Obviously in my job I work with people who do like to be touched, but every once in a while someone will show up who doesn't like it, but is just there because they have an issue that needs to be worked out. I always feel bad for them. Back to the dry needling... based on your experience, I'm wondering if it would be good for my foot. I have the most stubborn case of plantar fasciitis in the world, and maybe dry needling would help release it. I'm going to look into it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If we didn't have to go to Costco once a month already, I'm not sure it would be worth it to us to have a membership, either. But since we're already going there, it's worth it to us.

      I'd be interested in whether or not dry needling is recommended for PF! Let me know what you find out.

      Delete
  4. I love all these updates and am especially pleased to hear that Hannah is doing even slightly better. Here's hoping the antifungal and the new antibiotic work!

    Costco is definitely a necessity in my life, too -- there are just some things that are so much less expensive there. I hate going there, though, so I try to keep my visits to three or four times a year. Which means that we never sneak out of there for under $250. It is horrifying.

    ReplyDelete
  5. My MIL gifted us a membership to Costco 2 years ago and we never activated it. It doesn't appear to expire, though. There isn't one close to us so the hassle factor prevents us from activating the membership. My MIL LOVES costco so she will get things for us when she goes there, but overall we haven't felt the pull. We do love Aldi, though, but most of what we buy there is fresh produce and their GF bread. So I haven't ran into the GF labeling issue but that would be very annoying. But they have hands down the best GF bread I've had and the slices are normal sized. I don't eat a lot of bread but when I do, it's nice to eat something that doesn't look like it's been shrunk down to 1/2 the size of a normal piece!

    I hope the change in meds makes a difference for Hannah!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for the updates! I have things to say:
    1) I also hate massage, and I have an immediate visceral reaction to even the thought of one. I feel the same way about facials. Dry needling is great!
    2) COSTCO. I shop there every 2-3 weeks, and I save so much money. Things like shampoo, soap, and so many other things are immediate cost savings. With two teen boys, the food is a huge savings. Some produce is priced really well, others isn't.
    3) I'm happy to hear there is a possible solution to Hannah's pain, poor puppers.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love posts like this.
    1) I'm so glad you have a responsive and loving vet. I am so sorry you/Hannah continue to endure the pain and exhaustion of trying to sort through her health problems.
    2) I just don't know what to think about Costco. It's an hour away from our house and I mostly just bum along with friends a few times a year. There are some things that are SO much cheaper, and then others that I can actually get (on sale) cheaper at local stores. If I lived close, it would be a no-brainer. I always find it very overwhelming. Like I dread going there. It's so big. So bright. There are so many people, and I always spend SO MUCH MONEY and I always feel gross after being there. Sigh. I wish there were a mini-version of Costco where I could buy medium sizes of things and have it not be quite so big. But, so many of my family/friends love Costco and I like to go a few times a year.
    3) I LOVE massages. I have a very sensitive back, but aside from that I honestly think I would be happy to get a massage every single day. Love, love, love!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love a good life update post!

    I have always been so intrigued by Costco but living by myself, it just doesn't make sense. My mom and stepdad belong to one, though, so I guess I could always come along on one of their trips to experience the difference haha.

    I'm so very glad you have such a good vet. It's so important, isn't it? I wish there were easy answers for Hannah's condition, and I'm sorry you're still going through all of that.

    The back pain issue sounds awful! I have sciatica, which got pretty bad last year but has generally calmed down in the past few months. I don't know why or how, but I'm grateful nonetheless!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Jon and I have a Costco membership for a household of 2 - and we don't even have pets! - and it's worth it. Even if we only go every few months!

    I hope your back pain continues to improve (and Hannah's too).

    ReplyDelete
  10. Ah, Costco. There are a few things for which it is definitely worth it. I buy ... hm. Four things there? Pretty much? Dried fruit (prunes, yes I'm old, and figs), zyrtec, and dry roasted salted almonds. I will periodically buy bras there (seriously). I used to buy books and a TON of produce but no more. I don't even go back to the fresh/frozen foods area. I just don't have the room to store a lot of the stuff, so... (Also, want a laugh? I still share a membership - just renewed! - with my now-ex. :>)

    Also, poor Hannah. :( I hope they hit on the right Rx soon...

    ReplyDelete