Thursday, February 17, 2022

When to Make the Call

I generally thinking having pets in our house makes for a happier place. They are funny and force us to think about something other than ourselves. I never feel lonely because they are around and their fuzzy faces bring me a great deal of comfort. But sometimes it is so stressful.

This morning we woke up to Hannah the Dog whining every time she turned her rear end. I took her outside briefly, got her some breakfast and pain medication, and then she just leaned on me with most of her body weight, refusing to lay down. It's times like this when I don't know what to do. How do I comfort her and let her know we're doing the best we can?  

But then there are the questions - are we doing the best we can? Should she be on a constant regimen of pain killers? Is this the dreaded "change in behavior" that means we should call the vet right now?  There's no reason for the pain - we have her on modified bedrest, so she's only walking around the block three times a day right now and each trip around the block is only a quarter of a mile. She's literally not doing anything else since we've also basically stopped training her because it seemed like even sitting and shaking was causing her discomfort. For a dog her age, this is nothing, but she seems to be in so much pain right now that we're giving her painkillers every day. Should she be getting less exercise? More?  I don't know, my friends. I say I'm doing the best I can, but am I?

And then there's Zelda the Cat. She has started to become a Cuddly Cat. Zelda has always been a cat who is willing to cuddle on her own terms. If one of us is laying down quietly, she's more than happy to come up on our laps, but generally she's like a knickknack that moves about the house. However, these days, she's become clingy. If Dr. BB is reading at the table, she's meowing at him. If I'm working on my laptop, she's putting her paw on me to request pets. Her eating habits and litter box output haven't changed, but her behavior is slightly different. Is it because it's winter and she's cold? Is she secretly telling us she's sick? Is it worth a call to the vet? Imagine that conversation - so, my cat is demanding attention - is she okay? Cats demand attention. It's what they do. But now she's doing it slightly differently. Should I be worried?  

These micro-decisions. For those of you who have children, I have nothing but respect. I don't know how you make it through birth (epidural or no? circumcision or no?), let alone all the tiny decisions you have to make about the day-to-day life of a child. I am going crazy wondering if I am doing something wrong by not placing a call to a veterinarian and you all are out there raising up the next generation and you seem to be doing it with aplomb.

It is becoming clear to me that while I am doing my absolute best to stay on top of my SAD, it is really getting to me right now. I have constant anxiety (about my job, about the pets, about weather, about family, about everything). I am doing all the things - taking vitamin D, using a SAD lamp, walking outdoors in the daylight - but I guess this is how it's going to for the next month or so.  Hopefully I will snap out of this and return to normal soon. Everything just seems so oppressive and hard right now.

In the meantime, I'll just sit here and continue to fret about whether or not I should call the vet because man, this is one pathetic dog I have on my hands.

21 comments:

  1. Oh, poor Hannah- and poor you. That's such a tough situation. Without being there, my guess is that she knows you're doing the best you can. Animals know when you're taking care of them. Also, remember their brains don't work like ours- it's not like she's thinking "Hey! This could all be different if you'd just take me outside more." And yes, it does seem like Zelda is trying to tell you something- but we'll probably never know what that is. Cats go through phases and they're always mysterious. Maybe she does want to cuddle a little more because it's cold.. who knows.
    I think you hit the nail on the head when you brought up your SAD. Having suffered from it myself, I know that it can get worse and worse as the winter goes on, and in spite of all the things you're doing, you probably feel like you're barely keeping your head above water
    It's hard to see things clearly and make good decisions. All I can say is hang in there- it will pass, and you'll have that wonderful day in the spring when the clouds in your mind lift and you'll feel like yourself again. In the meantime good luck with Hannah- that sounds like a hard situation for all of you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the support. I do keep telling myself that the days are getting longer and this season shall pass. It's nice to have a reminder.

      Delete
  2. I'm so sorry about Hannah, NGS. My Scout is on three painkillers a day right now, and I'm so worried about what this might mean, and if it is even enough. Sending love and solidarity.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Right? It's so hard that our beloved animal companions just can't tell us how they're doing. I wish Hannah spoke English.

      Delete
  3. I'm so sorry. This is just...so hard.
    I don't have pets, but do have children. I do think a very unique challenge of pets is their lack of ability to communicate (with words; obviously lots of visible cues). Once kids get past the toddler stage, they can usually tell me specifics about what are wrong, and you just have all these challenging cues to try to interpret.
    I'm just so, so sorry. I wish I could wave a magic wand and share the right answers with you. I hope you are able to get the rest you need and whatever path forward you choose (vet/no vet; pain medication levels), you get some clear answers.
    Regarding the mental health impact - you're under SO MUCH STRESS. Again, sadly, I don't have a cure-all. Life sucks and I wish I could intervene in every human life in just the right way to alleviate all the anxiety in the world (my failure to be able to do this, in turn, causes me anxiety). But know that you're showing up and doing your best. And it's okay to say it's hard.
    Wish I could do something more than write words, but know I'm sending love from afar.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for the support. I know that this will pass and things with Hannah will progress as they will, but it is nice to hear some validation that it's not all in my mind and there is actually stress in my life.

      I literally can't imagine having to do this with children. It's not the only reason we opted out of having children, but it is one of them. I imagine my anxiety would just lead to me put my (hypothetical) children in a bubble and that's no way for kids to live.

      Delete
  4. Girlfriend, I can speak to the job part. Nearly one year ago my job went from being a dream to a nightmare. I did my best to compartmentalize it, but the reality is that it was a huge cloud and it really messed with me. I've had so many conversations with my former coworkers about this and everyone said the same thing, that there was a period of time where all of us were NOT OK. So I just want to let you know that what you are feeling about just one of the dozens of things that you are dealing with right now is real. And also to send you a bunch of internet hugs.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. With every job application I send out, I keep my fingers crossed that sooner or later I'll find something that's a good fit for me. It will all work out eventually (I keep telling myself).

      Delete
  5. It is always SO HARD to know when to make that call. I had a cat in declining health some years ago, and he basically wasn't eating at all, so he lost weight that he didn't have to lose. But he was happy! He sat on my lap and purred, he lay down by the window in the sun and looked out ... he got skinnier and skinnier but was still happy. And then one day he tried to climb up on the bed (via the box I had next to it for a step) and he couldn't make it. It was suddenly really clear to me that it was time. But looking back, was it? Should it have been sooner? How on earth to know?! All this to say that I am so sorry you are going through this, it is hard and unclear and worrying and hard, and in winter with SAD on top of it, I just want to give you a (safely distanced) hug and tell you it will be all right. Somehow.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really hope that this thing with Hannah isn't an end of life question because she's just so young. I will take your (safely distanced) hug and send you one back for your kitty who knew you loved him and took care of him as best you could!

      Delete
  6. Maybe both the critters are SAD too. Is this possible? Our cat basically sounds like yours, but she is not going through a behavioural change. Daughter’s cat can be very clingy almost hanging around her neck. She is old and on the decline.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My parents had a VERY standoffish cat when we were growing up and when I came home from college for a visit, the cat suddenly was friendly and sitting on my lap and I KNEW that cat wasn't long for this world. I really hope Zelda has a long, long life, so I'm going to chalk her slight change in behavior up to winter and her wanting warm laps.

      Delete
  7. I don't have pets (or kids) and while I sometimes wish I did, I do not envy you in this situation. This is tough, there is responsibility on your shoulders. I am so sorry. I do hope you figure it out and I feel like a phone call to the vet can never hurt, just to ease your mind?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I did call the vet to ease my mind and we did switch to a new treatment plan. Fingers crossed!

      Delete
  8. This makes my heart hurt -- poor Hannah, and poor you! You asked if you are doing all you can, I think wholeheartedly, YES. You are a loving, compassionate pet parent and you are keeping right on top of Hannah's issues and doing everything you can. Like others have said, I am sure a call to the vet is never a BAD idea, but it sounds like you are monitoring Hannah's behavior very closely and that you are and will continue to do right by her. I'm so sorry for all you, that she is struggling so much.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I appreciate the vote of confidence that I'm doing the right things for Hannah. It's so hard to know, but I hope SHE knows that she's loved and that we're trying!

      Delete
  9. Oh, I'm so sorry you're going through all this. I know all too well what it is to have an aging pet and to wonder about "making the call." Not a day goes by that I don't think of that for my Barkley. I know you are doing all you can for Hannah. Everyone tells me, when it comes to it, that "I'll know," but I wonder, will I? Pets enrich our lives so much, and yet this part is heartbreaking. xo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ugh. I don't want to have to make THAT call. Hannah's still so young. I guess we will if it comes down to it. *Big sigh*

      Delete
  10. Oh your poor dog. :( I can see from a comment above that you talked to the vet and have a different plan in place for Hannah. I would hate to make the decision about when her quality of life is too low. Hopefully the vet can really weigh in on that?

    Your cat sounds sort of similar to ours, but we notice that trend every winter. So hopefully it's just a seasonal thing and she's wanting more attention/cuddles/lap time? That said, our cat has become a very much part-time cat so I haven't seen what she is like the last 2 winters. She lives with my MIL at least half of the year these days as an 'emotional support animal', or that is what we call her. My MIL is a widow and has been so lonely during covid so really appreciates having Oscar there to keep her company. Plus Oscar is not keen on children so I think she's happier out there than in our house with 2 loud, rambunctious kids! (and yes, Oscar is a girl - we were told orange cats are always boys so we named her Oscar and then a week or 2 later my husband figured out that Oscar is certainly a boy. I did not know it was so hard to tell the gender of a cat!!)

    ReplyDelete
  11. As someone who had to "make the call" and really didn't know if I could do it, I can tell you with confidence that you will know in your BONES that it is time and there will be a sense of peace in your decision. My little Dutch was nearly 16 when I had to "make the call" and I spent the last two years of his life (where he was at the vet constantly and on a ton of meds), wondering if I was going to miss the signs. But the signs are there. If you're not sure if it's time, that means it isn't time. <3 I am so sorry, though. Going through something like this is the most awful part of pet ownership. All I can say is that Hannah knows you are doing your best and there is nobody better to take care of her right now than you and your husband. Three years out from losing Dutch, I really consider it such an honor that I got to be his person during those last years and be the one who brought him the most comfort.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I am so sorry that you and Dr. B and Hannah and Zelda are going through this. I completely agree with Stephany, though - you will know it in your bones when it is truly time to make the call. I hope that the new therapies and meds are working... you are such wonderful pet parents. You're giving her her best life possible... and loving her while doing it. <3

    ReplyDelete