Thursday, November 04, 2021

October 2021 Expenses


Bills (4.5%) - I paid insurance this month.

Cars (2.8%) - I filled up each car with gas once this month. 

Clothing (21.4%) - This seems crazy, but I'm attempting to fill my quarterly goal of buying a new sports bra and while I was at it, I got some more gear for working out during cooler weather. Some of this has already been returned, but hasn't been credited back to my credit card yet.  I think I've settled on three sports bras, two running pants, and a long-sleeve workout shirt. I might want one more shirt and then I think I'll be set.

Eating out (3%) - I got coffee a couple of times and had lunch out a couple of times. Not too bad.

Groceries (44.3%) - We spent so much money on groceries this month!  It's crazy and I need to go through our line items and figure out why this is happening. I suspect it's because I'm not taking random trips to Target, so ALL of our household expenses are getting added to the grocery budget (personal care items, cleaning items, paper products, etc.).  

Health and fitness (7.2%) - I honestly considered putting all the clothing purchases into this category because it's all workout gear, but I separated it. I wonder if I'll regret that choice later. Anyway, this is my regular fitness class subscriptions, some KN-95 face masks, vitamins and supplements, prescriptions and tampons. It sort of annoys me that I spend so much on this category, but I guess if you're going to spend money, spend it on yourself, right?

I'm still paying $75 a month for the yoga studio I'm no longer using and it kills me to get the notification about it every month. November will be the last month that I'm billed for it, thankfully.

Pets (6.7%) - Zelda was the pricey pet this month, to be honest.  We bought both dry and wet food for her this month. I think we probably only buy that dry food two or three times a year because she gets so little every day that the bag lasts for a long time. Hannah has been eating a lot of chicken and eggs while she's on antibiotics, so some of her food costs have been taken out of this category and added to groceries.  

Savings (4.6%) - Ugh. Not good.

Other (6.2%) - This is a hodgepodge.  A charitable donation, Halloween cards, and buying candy for a work event make up the majority of this.  

It's not pretty, but it's about to get worse because I want to get all my Christmas shopping done soon.  

4 comments:

  1. Oh, I love that you're breaking down spending (I am very much into budgeting and finances) and I am "glad" to see someone else's grocery budget is such a huge chunk of the pie. I feel like food is so expensive. We meal-plan and don't waste any food at all (which makes me feel better), but we still pay so much for two people. That doesn't even include personal and household items.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, you're good. We don't do a budget like this and I know we should. But I do know we spend a LOT on groceries- there has to be a better way.
    You're paying $75 for a yoga studio you don't use? That must be painful! I'm glad that's ending soon.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I dream of having such a low percentage in my "restaurants" category. Ubereats is just too convenient for me, and I get really lazy with cooking!

    ReplyDelete
  4. So interesting to see others' expenses. I find it fascinating that your categories have shifted due to not going to Target as often.
    How is the Great Sports Bra Quest going, then? Do you like the ones you've found?
    And finally, re: groceries, remember that we're all dealing with hideous food price inflation thanks to COVID. It's not you, it's the supply chain. I've noticed price increases across the board, particularly for produce, etc.

    ReplyDelete