Wednesday, January 13, 2021

2021 Quarterly Goals

Since 2017, I've set quarterly goals for myself. I've definitely improved my fitness routines, but other things have slipped.  I try to use SMART (specific, measurable, attainable, relevant, timebound) goals.  I'll post quarterly updates on how all this goes.  It might be too much for quarter one, but I'm going to jump in with both feet and see how it all shakes loose.

 Area One: Health - I'm riding high from my successful 2020 goal of maintaining my activity level, despite a pandemic and really just taking advantage of things within walking distance of my house. I'd like to continue this trend in 2021 and finally tackle my eating habits, which are good, but are preventing me from losing that last ten pounds.

1) Yoga classes of thirty minutes or more twice a week 
2) Other fitness classes/fitness activities of thirty minutes or more three times per week
3) Tracking goal
        Q1: Liquid intake using Aqualert 
        Q2: Caloric intake using My Fitness Pal
        Q3: Weight using our Wii balance board
        Q4: TBD depending on how the first three quarters go

Area Two: Financial - I'm an adult and I should know more about where my money goes.  

1) Track what I spend my money on each month - I did this with the dog and cat last year, but I'd like to extend it to see where my money is going (I'm modelling it after monthly budget updates from Stephany Writes)
2) Put $500 into our savings account each month and $500 into my retirement accounts
3) Create a budget using the tracking information to save more money - this isn't very specific or measurable, but I'd like to see if I can cut my costs by 10% from the first quarter to the last.  We'll see.

Area Three: Communication - I like this area. It makes me feel (mostly) like I'm accomplishing something, even when the other areas come to a screeching halt.

1) Continue to post to my blog twice a week - I did this last year and I don't see any reason why I can't maintain it this year.
2) Continue to send snail mail to my uncle K, aunt D, and my mom once a month, plus one other person who will be chosen on a rotating basis - Again, a habit I picked up in 2020 and it seems reasonable to keep it up. 
3) Keep a list of the books I read - Easy enough to do.  Done!
4) Keep a list of the snail mail I send - Also easy enough to do.

Area Four: Personal Improvement - This is a catch-all category for everything else in my life.

1) Brush Hannah and Zelda's teeth every day - This is just so hard. I don't really have a good place for it in my routine, but it needs to get done.
2) Do a 30-day challenge every month
    January: Meditation every day using the Headspace app on my phone
    February: 30-day core challenge
    March: This insane good posture in 30 days challenge
3) Duolingo every day - Ideally I'd like to move away from Duolingo in 2022 to actually consuming media in Spanish, but for now this is what it is. 
4) One house project every month - I did not do this well last year, but let's see what happens in 2021.
        


No comments:

Post a Comment