Saturday, November 21, 2020

Living Room, Saturday Morning

AppleTV remote sitting on the coffee table. It's a new remote and I can't quite figure out how to use it. This frustrates me and I watch even less television than is normal for me.

Books on the coffee table. A Knight in Shining Armor by Jude Deveraux.  I used to read Deveraux a lot when I was a teenager, but I've recently tried to read a couple of the early books in the Montgomery-Taggert series and there's so much rape. I skipped ahead to this book (#15 in the extended series, but they are all standalone novels) since it's beloved. So far, it's fine, but I'm only on page 12. Dr. BB has Achieving Our Country by Richard Rorty on the coffee table, as well. I think he's considering using it in a class he's teaching next semester.

Cat scratching post by the window.  Zelda rarely uses it, but occasionally sits on it to watch the birds outside the window. 

DVDs in the entertainment center. We have whittled and whittled our collection down, but we still have most of the Joss Whedon oeuvre.

Entertainment center. We bought this shortly after we got Zelda so we could hide all the cords she was prone to chewing on.  She doesn't chew cords as much now that she's an old lady, but the dusty entertainment center remains.

Family photos on the wall. We need to update these, I guess. We probably should have one up there with my sister's husband, although it's hard to think of a family photo without my father. We probably should have one up there with all our nieces and nephews, but it will be super hard to have one without my mother-in-law and with my father-in-law's new wife.  I don't know. Maybe if we ever see our families again.

Games in the entertainment center. We have an old skool Wii and Wii balance board.

Hot tea. There's always hot tea in the morning. I'm currently drinking Celestial Seasonings Cinnamon Apple Spice Herbal Tea that Dr. BB doctors up with lots of honey that we buy from our local farmers.

It's Leviosa Not Leviosa mug on the coffee table. It was a Christmas present from my mom last year and I'm sort of obsessed with it. It's huge and I drink tea out of in the morning and then water for the rest of the day.

Jingling cat toy. Somewhere in this room is a cat toy that makes a jingling sound. Zelda hides it really well so the dog can't get it, but neither can the humans. Every once in a while, you'll hear that sound and know that the cat wants to play.

Kitty tunnel. Behind our couch we have a tunnel for the cat and she regularly sleeps in there. She likes it because Hannah the Dog can't fit behind the couch (or rather, she could fit behind the couch, but she's too timid to try).  

Loveseat. It was the first major piece of furniture that we purchased together as a married couple. The first to sit on it? Zelda the itty bitty kitty.

This photo was taken nine years ago. My baby kitty! We were still paying the movers when she hopped up there on that loveseat.  

Musical stand. Dr. BB had been keeping a guitar there, but Hannah the Dog started showing some interest in the guitar and no fear of touching it, so it was removed during a particularly rowdy play session with her tennis ball.  I keep meaning to ask him if he wants it taken upstairs, but it hasn't become a priority.

Notebook on the entertainment center. I actually don't know why it's there and it should probably be put away, but that would mean I would have to get up off the loveseat.

Outlet that has my computer's power cord and a power strip that runs our entire TV/router/entertainment system plugged into it.

Pillows on the couch and loveseat. Each piece of furniture came with two pillows and I'm surprised at how reliant I am on them, particularly for putting my feet up.  

Quilt over the back of the couch.  I made that quilt way back in 2016. It's not holding up great, but the whole process of starting a new quilt sounds exhausting.

Rug. I still love this rug despite the fact that I should vacuum it every day because there's Hannah the Dog fur everywhere. I don't actually vacuum it every day, more like every three days.  But this rug is great and it wasn't too expensive so I don't worry about the dog fur, cat puke, and tea spills that regularly happen to it.

Slippers next to the coffee table.  I have taken them off so I can put my feet up on the furniture.

Television. We contemplated replacing our television for a hot second, but all the tvs available at our local Best Buy are significantly larger than our current one and I don't want the entire room dominated by a screen, so we just continue on with what we have.

Unclean dog bed. You guys, this things smells disgusting. It's a whole process to clean it, though.  It's probably making our whole house stink, though.  Hm. Hannah loves it.

Vent.  There are so many strangely placed vents and ducts in our house. There's one right next to the entertainment center and it basically means we can't use that whole wall because we don't want anything to block it.  Don't get me started on the vents in our office upstairs.

Writing utensils on the coffee table and entertainment center. There's a pen on the coffee table so I can take notes as I'm reading my book.  There is a Ticonderoga pencil, a pink pen, and a mechanical pencil that has an eraser that won't stay on it on the entertainment center that all need to be put away, like the notebook.  

eXtremely warm fleece blanket. That big black fleece blanket on the loveseat was a present from Dr. BB's sister to him before he ever met me. I've basically claimed it as mine and almost always have it on or near my person when I'm in the living room. The cat will only cuddle with the person with the blanket, so I need to make sure I get my kitty cuddles.

Yellow goldfinches at the nyger seed feeder outside the window. We get goldfinches year round and they're yellow and glorious in the summer, but now they're really just LBBs (little brown birds).

Zero pets. Hannah and Zelda prefer to spend their mornings in the mudroom, where it is sunny and warm.  I always feel slightly sad when I'm all alone in the living room.

No comments:

Post a Comment