Sunday, November 22, 2020

Catalogpalooza 2020!



Since the beginning of the month, I've been collecting all the catalogs and stacking them on our dining room table. Dr. BB finally noticed this yesterday and asked if I was ever going to throw them away. I'm taking that as a hint that I better write this post.  I've got around twenty and here are the highlights.

1) Garrett Wade (Where Good Tools Come First): I've never gotten this catalog before and I'm crazy for it.  From sewing supplies to woodshop instruments to toys, this catalog has it all.  
Wind-up toys ($18.80 - 19.25), woodworking chisels ($87.50), and beechwood sewing kit ($92.50)

2) Garnet Hill (Beautiful, Naturally): I don't know exactly who the target audience is for this catalog, but there are a handful of items that drew my eye. It's got a lot of linens, housewares, and cozy clothes. The biggest thing this catalog has going for it, in my eyes, is that the pajama sets don't have buttons on them.  I hate buttons on my pjs.

Personalized hooked wool throw pillow ($129), Asian wrap organic pajamas ($79), and kids boiled wool slipper boots ($48)

3) The Grommet (Don't Gift Boring): What a strange catalog. I guess its theme is gifts and gadgets, but I mostly appreciate that it very clearly labels everything that's made in the United States.
Plate spinning toy ($19.95), custom nautical pillow (starting at $85), books as art ($24)

4) The Vermont Country Store (Purveyors of the Practical and Hard-To-Find): Now, I know that the target audience for this catalog is little old ladies who live in New England, but I'm so happy that it arrives in my mailbox every year. I think it's just predicting who I will soon become.  Lots of cozy loungewear, 1980s make-up and food your grandmother serves at holidays.

I have been stalking the cookie aisle of my grocery store looking for these windmill cookies for months, but I open the VCS catalog and there they were and I knew that I had fallen into the trap of being an old lady before my time. Or is early 40s old now?  Who knows?
Spiced windmill cookies ($19.95 for 14 ounces, which is INSANE), one-button Irish wool asymmetrical wool cardigan ($139.95 - $149.95), 10 clip-on LED candles ($39.95 for a set of 10, which seems reasonable to me), cardinal flannel sheet set ($129.95 for a queen set)


5) Hammacher Schlemmer (America's Longest Running Catalog): This reminds me a lot of the Brookstone catalog. It's just a bunch of stuff that solves problems you didn't even realize that you had. This year I was fascinated by all the stuff that they had on order as a response to the pandemic. Most catalogs seem to be going on as if business is 100% normal, we are not in a global pandemic, but HS leaned in.  
Weather station ($179.95), no contact thermometer ($149.95), air purifier ($239.95-$299.95), foldaway sit stand desk ($199.9 - seriously I think this is such a smart idea for all the people now working from home; I'm seriously considering adding something like it to my wish list)

6) Caswell-Massey (America's Original): Soaps and fragrances galore in this catalog. You can almost smell the aroma of the old school scents through the pages. I really think that anything in this catalog would be a great gift, as long as the person doesn't have any sensory issues with smells.


Centuries year of soap ($98 for twelve  5.8 ounce soap bars with almond, lavender, verbena, sandalwood, oatmeal & honey, and cucumber scents), Centuries eau de toilette gift set ($60 for four 15mL bottles of sandalwood, verbena, lavender, and almond), Dr. Hunter's original remedies gift set ($49.95 for hand cream, foot cream, body cleanser, castile soap bar, cuticle cream, lip salve)

7) Grandin Road: This is the first time I've ever gotten this home decor catalog. It's like someone threw up Christmas. Towards the end, there's non-holiday stuff, but I have to admit that it was like looking at an extremely tacky Renovation Hardware catalog. It super expensive and not really my style, but I tried to find some gems in there.


Amelia cabinet (on sale now for $399.20, which is stupid expensive considering I'd have to remove the ugly leaf door pulls), tiered Christmas tree server (on sale now for $159.20, which is crazy expensive, too!)


8) Uncommon Goods (We're All Out of the Ordinary): I've been getting this catalog for years now and it's a bit disappointing that they don't refresh their stock much.  I've definitely written about some of my favorite items before, but it's becoming harder and harder to find new discoveries in this one.


Vote necklace (available in silver or brass, $50 including a $5 donation to the League of Women Voters), MLB game ball friendship bracelet ($64), 1000-piece vintage national parks puzzle ($20)

9) MindWare (Brainy Toys for Kids of All Ages): I just learned that this is actually an Oriental Trading catalog and it makes me wonder why I don't get the OT catalog. Now I'm sad.  I think it's challenging to find toys now that all the toy stores have closed, so this is as close to wandering around a Toys R Us as it gets for me these days. I'm not shopping for a particular kid right now, so I don't have anything in mind just yet, but here are some vague contenders.

Complete baking and cooking cookbooks for young chefs ($29.95 for a set of 2), magic penny magnet kit ($25.95), Keva plank set ($99.95 for 200 pieces, but there are smaller sets available)



10) Bronner's (America's Largest Christmas Store): Bronner's is located in Frankenmuth, Michigan and I used to regularly go there when I was growing up in Michigan. Last year when Dr. BB and I were visiting my mom and sister, we went and purchased an artificial Christmas tree there and we've been on the mailing list every since. If you've never been to this store, imagine a warehouse store filled with Christmas tchotchkes, decorations, and ornaments in every crevice.  It's overwhelming and one of my favorite places to browse and purchase exactly two things.  If you're ever in the area, it's definitely worth a visit. If you're not in the area, maybe consider getting on their catalog list.

14.5 inch ceramic Christmas tree (my mother-in-law had one of these and it makes me nostalgic, $39.99), 3 inch tall metal peacock ornament ($29.99), personalized paw stocking ($17.99), personalized heart tree (up to ten names, $17.99), set of four winter cardinal ornaments ($11.99)

And that is that. I also have about a million catalogs with clothes (Stio, Carve Designs, Boden, Orvis, and the like), but that is not what the great Catalogpalooza is about.  Do you have a favorite holiday catalog?  

As always, no one pays me to write any of this. There are no kickbacks coming to me. Click on links with abandon.


No comments:

Post a Comment