Wednesday, July 08, 2020

2020 Q2 Books!

Q1 book list here.

Q2 book list! This was mostly during the time of social distancing and I was surprisingly unable to read much during this time, especially during the beginning of the quarter. I just couldn't get that level of immersion that I normally would. I mean, it sounds insane, but because it feels like we're living in fiction, it felt kind of like the fictional worlds were unrealistic and I somehow wanted realism and escapism, which isn't really a thing.

4/4: Girl at War by Sara Nović (library ebook)

4/10:  The Sugar House by Laura Lippman (library ebook)

4/15: Assassin's Apprentice by Robin Hobb (library ebook)

4/19: The Luminaries by Eleanor Catton (university inter-library loan - this was for book club and I definitely didn't want to buy it, so I got it through my university account, which I almost never do for personal pleasure books)

4/19: Just a Fling by Charity Ferrell (free on Kindle) - A perfectly acceptable romance about a Hollywood starlet and her bodyguard. I won't be reading the next book in the series because the preview chapters tell me it is all about an unintended pregnancy and a dude who's going to insist that the child be born because it's clearly all about him. I ended Just a Fling feeling pretty good about this author and then was made absolutely irate by the sneak peek.  

4/27: Crooked Kingdom by Leigh Bardugo (library ebook)

5/3: The Hanging Girl by Jussi Adler - Olsen (library ebook)

5/10: Books Can Be Deceiving by Jenn McKinlay (library)

5/10: A Very Large Expanse of Sea by Tahereh Mafi (library)

5/11: The Women in the Castle by Jessica Shattuck (Kindle purchase)

5/14: Turtles all the Way Down by John Green (library)

5/16: The Long Way to a Small, Angry Planet by Becky Chambers (library ebook)

5/19: Golden in Death by JD Robb (library ebook) - Not the best Robb book in the series, but I loved it anyway.  

5/20: The Storied Life of AJ Firky by Gabrielle Zevin (library)

5/26: The Scarred Woman by Jussi Adler-Olsen (library ebook) - The seventh book in the Department Q series. I think I'm done with this series. It has always been dark, but this was just so dark and unrelenting. Maybe I'll come back to the series when I'm in a better headspace.


5/27: On Writing: A Memoir of the Craft by Stephen King (library)

5/28: The Kiss Quotient by Helen Hoang (library ebook)

5/29: Loving Violet by Terri Anne Browning (Kindle purchase) - Browning is great at building characters you really care about. But there's too much teenage love and drama in these books and this one was no different. There's also way too much near-statutory rape and I just can't get on board for that.  I guess I'll stop buying Browning's books, but I definitely recommend the original The Rocker series when Browning still (mostly) wrote about adults.  

5/30: Things You Save in a Fire by Katherine Center (library ebook) 

6/1: Let's Explore Diabetes with Owls by David Sedaris (library)

6/4: An Absolutely Remarkable Thing by Hank Green (library)

6/7: Midnight Riot by Ben Aaronovitch (Kindle purchase) - also called Rivers of London everywhere in the world that isn't the United States

6/12: Trickster's Choice by Tamora Pierce (library) - Interesting fantasy novel, but I wasn't invested enough in the characters to continue reading further on in the series.

6/14: The Thirteenth Tale by Diane Setterfield (library ebook)

6/15: Saga Volume One by Brian K. Vaughan and illustrated by Fiona Staples (library)

6/16: A Common and Closed Orbit by Becky Chambers (library ebook)

6/22: Lethal White by Robert Galbraith (book I own - given to me by my father-in-law)

6/24: What Alice Forgot by Liane Moriarity (paper book I purchase for book club) - June book club book. Pretty good, but I find reading books about marriages in peril to be quite stressful reads. 

6/27: The Nickel Boys by Colson Whitehead (library book)

6/29: Royal Assassin by Robin Hobb (library ebook)

Total: 30 books

No comments:

Post a Comment