Monday, July 13, 2020

The Right Swipe by Alisha Rai




In The Right Swipe by Alisha Rai, we meet Rhiannon Hunter, a successful businesswoman who created and runs a successful dating app.  She's pretty focused on her career, but she can't help but thinking about Samson, a guy she met while she was on a vacation a while ago who ghosted her after their first night together. Imagine her surprise when she finds out that Samson actually works for one of her competitors.

This book is completely fine.  I enjoyed my time spent on the couch reading it.  I thought the characters were respectful of one another and I actually really liked the scene where there were no condoms and the characters did not engage in penetrative sex like would happen in most romance novels. I like that the female character is portrayed as a bad ass businesswoman who is tough, but fair.  I like that Rai doesn't shy away from talking about race and dynamics of race relations in the novel and that there's some diversity in the characters (although why Rhiannon only has white friends is a bit of a peeve for me).  

But.

It was also really boring. I finished this book one night and starting writing this the next afternoon and I'd already forgotten Samson's name, the name of the best friend, and basically everything except the eccentric aunt (she was amazing - I'd like a book about her) and the dating app conceit.  

Completely down the middle. I didn't mind reading it, but I also will not be thinking about these characters now that I've returned the book to the library.  

No comments:

Post a Comment