Thursday, April 09, 2015

11.9 Color - Riot

Bestest Friend and I are in the middle of a blog project. Each day of the month we will post a picture on a pre-determined theme and write a little something about it. The theme for the ninth day of each month is "Color."
****************************
We spent a few minutes today discussing how the extremist arguments of Malcolm X made Martin Luther King Jr.'s peaceful protests against police brutality sympathetic. We discussed the need for the same type of extremist rhetoric in race relations today. Sure, no one will really take you seriously, but it makes the sane arguments look saner in comparison.

I am so sympathetic to all the members of minority communities who wonder what would have happened if there had been no videotape.  Police officers are always assumed to be in the right, but sometimes they lie.  
I don't know if dashboard cameras are a solution. The murder of Eric Garner was caught on film and nothing happened. 

I wouldn't want to be a police officer. I wouldn't want to be a black person in America today. I wouldn't want to be an innocent bystander with a potentially controversial video on my camera.

And I wouldn't want to hear King or Malcolm X's disappointment at how little progress we've made.
****************************
To see what Bestest Friend wrote about the theme of the day, check out her blog, Too Legit to Quit.

No comments:

Post a Comment