Tuesday, January 10, 2012

Healing - Not a Linear Process

My foot is in a boot that I can take off to shower and do what the doctor referred to as mobility exercises.  I can't bear weight yet, but I can move and flex my foot in certain ways.

Last night, I cried the whole time we did them.  Today I was gleeful at the stretch and told my poor husband how much it felt like a foot massage.

Two days ago, the walk down the hall was insurmountable and I had to stop and return before I completed an entire circuit.  Today, I walked up and down the hall twice and chased the cat into the bathroom when a maintenance man came to fix something in our apartment.

Three days ago, I took no pain medication.  Today I took Tylenol when I woke up and just a few minutes ago. 

Sometimes the bottom of my foot tingles. Sometimes my toes won't move. Sometimes the muscles and tendons in my ankle feel like they are going to spring open if I so much as move my foot.  Sometimes it throbs.  Sometimes I feel like there's nothing wrong with it.  Sometimes I feel like I'm making a big fuss over nothing at all.

It's not predictable and it's not easy, but I feel stronger and more like a normal human being every day!  Ten more days until I go back for a follow up.  There's a chance I'll have to wait another four weeks before putting any weight on my foot, but I'm going to be optimistic and hope for the best when those xrays come back. 

Someday soon I will be able to replicate this picture!!

3 comments:

  1. Oh darling hope your recuperation is fast and pain-free!

    xoxox,
    CC

    ReplyDelete
  2. Phew! I haven't had much free time for catching up on blogs. You've had a LOT going on. I'm glad you're on the road to recovery.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's big progress! It's all mostly in a positive direction. So glad!

    ReplyDelete