1) The world at large: I try not to talk too much about the news, but between what's coming out of Cornell and the death penalty torture in Tennessee, I'm starting to feel like even the non-federal government failing, endless wars, presidential corruption news is spiraling out of control. And it's all part of the same thing, right? If you put an admitted rapist in the White House, it's clear what the nation's priorities are. And those priorities do not include the safety of women. I might have to put myself back on a news moratorium until after the election.
2) Update on my girls: Zelda gets righteously pissed off when she runs out of water during the work day. This is the outcome.
Why don't you get her a bigger water bowl? BECAUSE THIS IS THE ONLY ONE SHE'LL DRINK OUT OF. Why do we have a fussypants as a cat?
Hannah makes a great yoga partner. Just look at this face.
 |
| Don't talk about her grey muzzle. Don't talk about it at all. |
3) Campus scenes: This week has been a bit hectic in our household. Here are some scenes from work this week. I'll leave you to figure out what's what.
4)
Earworm ahead: There's this controversy in my local area about building
giant power lines. Protest signs have been popping up all over the place. It's making for some interesting alliances and cross party agreement, so at least we all have NIMBYism in common, right?
I bring it up because whenever I see one of these signs, I start singing the
theme song to
Firefly. You are SUPER WELCOME if you've never heard that song before because it's awesome.
5)
Blogosphere things: There are two main things I want to talk about. One, Elisabeth is hosting
Cool Bloggers Walking Club (CBWC) in October. Go to her page for a printable. Just do 10 minutes of intentional movement a day and you are DOING IT.
Two, did you know that NaBloPoMo is next month! Egads! I created a
Google doc of topics a couple of years ago. Feel free to add to it or look at it for ideas. I have a special project I've been working on since January that is going to end up here on NaBloPoMo, but I want to make sure everyone's getting prepped!!
****************
Are you currently singing the Firefly theme? What unites people in your area across party lines? Who's in for CBWC and/or NaBloPoMo?
That picture of Hannah is how I like to be in all yoga sessions. Stretched out on the floor relaxed.
ReplyDeleteI AM WALKING. It is positively shameful how little exercise I've done lately so I need CBWC very badly.
I am going to skip NaBloPoMo again this year :( I love it and feel torn, but I just do not have enough hours in the day. But I will enthusiastically cheer on from the sidelines.
I'm going to try to have most of NaBloPoMo ready to go before November, which I've never done before. Then I can focus on commenting. Maybe? This seems ambitious.
DeleteNews moratorium FTW! I've been doing it since 2008 and I don't feel that I'm missing out on anything.
ReplyDeleteListen, Zelda is the Queen and when you are the queen you are allowed to have a dainty water bowl because you have people for that. Unfortunately Zelda's people are silly peasants with silly jobs that take them out of the house all day. No one said that it was easy to be the queen!
It is definitely not easy being the queen. Someone keeps taking mats out of her hair, her water dish isn't full of fresh water 24/7, and there's a dog in her living quarters! Imagine the indignities!
DeleteThis: " If you put an admitted rapist in the White House, it's clear what the nation's priorities are. And those priorities do not include the safety of women." Yes. I have had to put myself on a news moratorium from anything coming out of the States because every day it's something the president has said about Canada being the worst country in the world. THAT'S FUN. And it's upsetting because I think - do people really think that? I feel like they don't, but the constant stream of news is just too much.
ReplyDeleteI'm in for CBWC but not NaBloPoMo. I won't be around the first part of November, but I'm more of a NaBloPoMo cheerleader than participant anyway.
No, Nicole. Every American I know loves Canada and Canadians. Don't listen to the vitriol spewing from the White House and think that's normal.
DeleteYes, it was made very clear what our nation's priorities are after the last election, which was shocking and depressing. News moratorium has been going around here for years. Anything I really need to know about will leak through, and that's bad enough.
ReplyDeleteHee hee... Zelda and her little water bowl. Cats are weird.
NABLOPOMO, oh yes! I'm looking forward to it, and I'm intrigued about your project!
I'm excited about my project. The best part for everyone else is that I'm going to turn comments off for those posts, so no one will feel like they have to comment. I'll probably have some non-project posts throughout the month, too, and I will have comments there, but I'm going to try to make it less work for participants.
DeleteThe weirdness of cats strikes again.
ReplyDeleteLittle weirdos we love.
DeleteI've been on a news show moratorium for years and years now. I stopped watching any news networks, Sunday news shows like MTP, and stick to my two newspapers a day (which is awful and terrible enough). Living in Ohio is torture.
ReplyDeleteBirchie's comment is priceless and spot on. Zelda is just sick of ALL of your bullshit, and honestly, you're doing next to nothing to correct your behaviour. I also get the feeling that Hannah is about over you, too :-).
Um, I am super intrigued by your project and can't wait!
ReplyDeleteI am in favor of the news moratorium.
Your poor neglected kitty. How could you not ever give her water? She asks for so little.
(My cat is a champion guilt tripper as well.
I am just as neglectful and unloving a cat owner as you are.)
Ugh. Let’s not talk about the world at large, it’s so depressing… for women! Why do I feel like things are getting worse, not better, despite all the activism?
ReplyDeleteI am super-excited that you’re already planning ahead for NaBloPoMo. I will of course be participating again (how could I not?) and I am also participating in the CBWC this month!
I will be singing the Firefly theme all weekend, which honestly is so better than having my head full of the world right now…. I may add it to my playlist for my CBWC walk tomorrow!
ReplyDeleteThe news is so bad. That's all I can say.
ReplyDeleteI was also thinking of planning my NaBloPoMo posts ahead of time this year. I LOVE your idea of turning off comments, just to take the pressure off. Although, with my private blog, should I even bother to do it? Yes, I think I will do it anyway.
Zelda is the queen of the world.