Sunday, August 04, 2024

20th Anniversary Countdown: Guest Post #16

In celebration of my blog's 20th anniversary, I'm having guest posters every week leading up to the big day. 

Today we have Kaelyn as our guest!

Kaelyn, who goes by Kae on her blog, blogs over at Grateful Kae. She's a fellow Wisconsin blogger who lives with her husband, two teenage boys, and an adorable dog named Charlie. She works as a nurse, but keep it real on the blog by talking about her struggles with pop addiction, difficulties fitting in exercise even when it's a priority, and how crazy it gets in a household with so many people doing important things. But when I think of Kaelyn, what I really think about is her travel. She does extensive recaps on family vacations, how to plan them, and how she packs

Let's welcome her!


********************

Happy 20th Blog Anniversary, Engie! I’ve only been blogging for a measly 4 years, and sometimes I feel like that’s a long time, so I’m truly in awe of your blogging longevity!

When thinking about a “List of 20 Things” to contribute to this blog series, I quickly landed on “Gratitude” as a theme. I mean…. Hi. My blog is called Grateful Kae. 😊 Now, it’s true that not every post I write directly centers around a gratitude topic. In fact, most posts don’t. But when I started my blog, I knew I wanted that to be the underlying theme, the backbone of my blog.

Why, exactly? Well, I think that at the core of my personality, I have an (annoying) tendency to be quick to “jump into the pit of despair," for lack of a better phrase. Lol! What I mean is, it’s not always my instinct to see the rosy side of things. I worry too much. I fret. I perseverate. I can assume the worst. But a few years ago, I read the book The Gratitude Diaries. And I found it to be totally eye opening! One of those paradigm-shift moments.

As I read, I thought about my own life and realized a couple of things. One, I have SO MUCH to be grateful for. Seriously, I have an insane number of good things in my life. I’d be willing to bet that most/all people reading this blog do, too. (Even though it’s so easy to regularly overlook this fact.) And two, attitude and perspective are usually more important than whatever is actually happening to me at any given moment. Yes, bad stuff definitely happens, to me and everyone. But what we focus on expands. So, I set out to see if I could try to focus on the good stuff instead, by building a consistent practice of gratitude.

Thus, Grateful Kae was born to share the journey! (Okay fine, it was also partly a pandemic passion-project… haha.)  And I’ve recorded something I’m grateful for every day since. As a result, great news! My life is perfect now. (JUST KIDDING!! 🀣 It’s not.) But, every day that I fill out my “I am grateful for….” prompt is another day I’m casting a vote for myself to be a more positive, grateful person.

So, without further ado, here are 20 Things I’m Grateful For, in no particular order. (*Note: This list will range in importance from major to random. I think it’s a given that I’m grateful for my family, my kids, my health, etc. The fun part about a gratitude practice is realizing that you can be grateful for ANYTHING! Nail clippers? Your iPhone case? Your fitness instructor? That one great microfiber cleaning rag? The song Sweet Caroline?  Your neighbor’s lilac bush? All fair game.)

1.       My husband makes our bed every single day.

Let’s start with a random one! I love having a made bed; I do not like actually making the bed. Fortunately for me, my husband makes our bed every morning. In our almost 17 years of marriage, I have never once asked him to do this- he just does it. I love this, and I’m grateful for it. [Note from NGS: My husband and I get out of bed every morning and make the bed together without saying a single word to one another. I am grateful for this little ritual every day and never even realized it until this bullet point!]

2.       My high school AP English classes (and teacher)

I am so grateful to have a strong, solid command of the written English language. It’s such a useful life skill that honestly, many people do not have. (Actually, after watching my Mexican husband learn English as an adult, I’m also just grateful I learned English as my native language! 😬 It’s a complicated language!) But I’m especially grateful for Mr. Bowers, who taught my 11th and 12th grade AP English courses and really solidified all things “English” for me. Big credit to my mom too for instilling a love of reading/writing in me from a young age!

3.       That I can speak fluent Spanish.

Sticking with the language theme, I am grateful to have learned Spanish (fluently). I double majored in Nursing and Spanish at the University of Wisconsin-Madison and was fortunate to have a bunch of real-life immersion opportunities. From waitressing at a Mexican restaurant, to studying abroad in Guadalajara, Mexico, to an adventurous solo trip to Guatemala at 21, to marrying a Mexican guy 😜, I’ve had way above average foreign language practice. Learning to speak Spanish fluently is one of my most favorite life achievements. I am so grateful for this, because without it, my relationship with my in-laws, and our frequent Mexico trips, would be really, really different.

In TepotzlΓ‘n, Mexico in 2022

4.       For living somewhere with four seasons.

Here in southern Wisconsin, we are blessed (or cursed? depends when you ask me) to have four distinct seasons. I can gripe and moan about the snow and cold in January with the best of them, but I secretly love the changing seasons. I especially love our epic falls - obviously the #1 season. But our HOT, humid Wisconsin summers are amazing too. Then again, I LOVE “cozy” season in the winter… give me a snowy evening with a cup of hot chocolate and the fireplace on and a Christmas movie on the TV….ahhh, yes. Spring is my least favorite by far (usually windy and stays too cold far too long here), but I guess this one is the necessary bridge to get from winter to summer. I find that just as soon as I start to get a little bored with one season, it’s almost time for the next one! I like the fresh start and different traditions each one brings, too. 😊


5.       My height

Okay, super random and ultimately unimportant one here, but, it’s true. I am somewhere between 5’8-5’9” tall, and I’m grateful for being on the taller side! NOTHING against my short friends at all -you are all perfect, too! But my (relative) height came in real handy during my high school volleyball days, which were a huge part of my HS experience. I also just genuinely like being taller. I like being able to reach things on the top shelf. I like having long legs! It’s part of who I am.

6.       That I learned to lift weights in high school

Speaking of volleyball, I’m really grateful that we had required weight training sessions as part of our VB practices. We trained in the big weight room in the high school, and I remember learning to bench press, squat, use all the machines, free weights, etc. Strength training is now my #1 form of exercise to this day (and arguably maybe the most important, for overall longevity). I hear from so many women how intimidating strength training is if you’re just starting out. I’m so grateful that I learned to do this from a young age and am very confident in the weight room! Thanks Coach Werner! 😊[Note from NGS: I'm loving how important teachers were in Kaelyn's life! Educators are so important.]


7.       That we had our kids at a pretty young age.

I was 24 and 26 when our boys were born. On the flip side, my parents had my sister and me on the “older” side, for their generation, anyway- at 31 and 33. Obviously, there are pros and cons to having kids sooner or later, and it’s a highly personal decision with no one right answer (and not even always exactly controllable).

But I’m often grateful that it worked out this way for us. Because if we had waited until our mid-30s to have our kids, my parents would have been kind of OLD by then! If I’d had my first baby at 35 instead of 24, my parents would have been 68 at his birth; when my oldest turned 16, my parents would already be 84. In contrast, when my oldest was born my parents were just 57, and now that he just turned 16, my parents are still a spry 73. πŸ˜‰

I’m thankful my parents have been “young” and healthy throughout the boys’ childhoods. We’ve taken countless trips with my parents where they’ve been able to do active things with the boys, like zip line! Hike! Climb through caves! Boogie board! Parasail. And other adventures. ♥

A fresh faced 24 year old me in 2008 with baby Ethan 

My dad parasailing with me and Asher in Costa Rica


My mom and dad climbing through Venado Caves in La Fortuna, Costa Rica

My dad ziplining at age 72! 


8.       That I love spicy food.

My husband and I love love LOVE spicy food. WE LOVE IT. Can’t get enough. I am grateful that my tastebuds magically developed this love somewhere between high school and college, because it’s a really fun bond between me and my husband. (He has commented that if I didn’t like spicy food, he’s not totally sure this marriage would have worked. LOL.)

Also, it is very fun and amusing to travel to Mexico and be able to out-eat even the most macho men when it comes to the spiciness level. Haha! (People who don’t know me will see me go for the salsa, and their eyes will widen and they’ll say, “Ooh watch out! That one’s spicy!” (as I dump huge spoonfuls on my taco….). It’s fun to be like, Ohhhh, seΓ±ora, no se preocupe. I got this. *winks and devours taco*
Bring it. 

9.       My older house, built in 1978.

We have an older ranch home, which we bought over 10 years ago now. I sometimes complain about certain things (looking at you, too-small master bathroom…), and occasionally wish we had one of those bigger, beautiful, new homes in the pretty neighborhoods with the manicured landscaping. But you know what I don’t wish for? To have to PAY for that bigger, beautiful, new home. Our home is older, yes, but it’s (mostly) updated, comfortable, has a great sunroom, fantastic storage space, is on a cul-de-sac (i.e. quiet), and really has everything we need. The lower fixed housing cost has allowed us to spend our money on other things that we value more, and mostly just not be chained to a ginormous mortgage! So, I try to remind myself of this one often (especially after I maybe pick up one of the kids from a friend’s big ‘ol fancy house and find myself feeling a twinge of envy…). [Note from NGS: I live in a house built in 1912, so your house is new and fancy. I mean, the bathroom situation here is dire. If it helps, I'm envious of your usable bathroom!!]

10.   My office

Our house (see above), while having many nice qualities, does not come with a sprawling home office or, um, library. It does come with a finished basement laundry room, though! And I am so very grateful that the previous owners installed a built-in desk, overhead shelving, and cabinets in there. (She used it as a sewing room.) It is not fancy, and let’s just say I always have a blurred background on video calls (some other people have floor-to-ceiling mahogany bookcases in their office background; I have a… washing machine πŸ˜†). But I am SO grateful for this space! It’s all mine, I have a door that closes, and I have added cozy desk lamps. I love it. My little escape! And bonus- I can switch the towels from the washer to the dryer without even getting up from my desk chair! LOL.


11.   My work-from-home Nursing job

After 10 full years working as an inpatient Transplant Nurse, I really needed a change. The insane hospital pace, the long 12-hour weekend shifts, missing family holidays… I was finding it all less and less sustainable as the boys were getting deeper into the busy elementary years.

Over the span of almost two years, I applied for several other nursing jobs with marginally “better” hours, but none of them panned out. In hindsight, I’m so grateful they didn’t! I ended up eventually landing a position as an RN Data Analyst in 2016 (for my same hospital and the same transplant program= perfect!). It was a rare and exceptional find for a burned-out nurse: a 100% work-from-home, mostly flexible schedule position, for more pay than I was getting inpatient. WHAT?! The positive impact that this has had on our family life (and my sanity) is indescribable.

On my last shift as a floor nurse!


12.   The piano/ cello

I started playing the piano at age 4 and the cello in 5th grade. Music competitions, private lessons, the school orchestra, and making cash playing in a quartet with my friends at weddings were a big part of my life.

I didn’t end up doing anything professionally with my music background as an adult. (I was quite good, but not like, that good! Nor did I put in the effort that would have required, or have the desire, honestly.)

But I am still so grateful that I can play the piano at a pretty high level. The piano is one of my #1 stress relievers, and on a crappy day, there’s a high chance you’ll find me sitting at the piano for a while. Also, I just really like having that musical literacy. I can read music. I know the names of many composers, recognize famous pieces, musical styles, etc. I feel like my music background has enriched my life in other ways besides “just” knowing how to play, and I’m grateful for that! 

Playing a Christmas duet with Ethan… sadly, despite years of lessons, neither boy seemed to inherit the same passion for it I have. 

13.   TRAVEL!

As Engie mentioned, some of my favorite posts to write are (ridiculously long and detailed, I cannot help it) travel recaps. I’m just so grateful for the travel we have done as a family, but also that my parents prioritized traveling with us as kids, too. Many of my best childhood memories are from our trips- mostly long national park road trips around the U.S.

Favorite family trips from recent years for me would probably include…. Costa Rica, our Ireland/Rome trip, and our Colorado/Utah trip, but I’m terrible at narrowing things down. I love them all! The boys also agree our Costa Rica trip goes in the #1 spot, along with South Dakota, Rome, our extended family Caribbean cruise, and our family-favorite/repeat destination of Panama City Beach, Florida. 

I haven’t been everywhere, but it’s on my list….”









14.   That I was born into the type of family that I was

This is a big one. All you have to do is turn on the news for 2.5 seconds and you can quickly see a million places/situations that you would not like to have been dropped onto this planet and into. To be born into a loving family, with educated, supportive parents in a stable marriage, living in a warm, comfortable home in a safe community….When I zoom out and consider some of the alternatives, I shudder. HOW did I get so lucky? I try very hard to never, ever forget what a privilege this is, and I am extremely grateful for it.

In Dublin, Ireland with my parents 

15.   For being a 90s teen!

Maybe every generation thinks theirs was the best, but I’m grateful for the time during which I was a child/teen. I was born in ’83, so my tween and teen years were solidly in the 90s. I loved the pop + country music (Backstreet Boys, N’Sync, Britney, Garth Brooks, Tim McGraw, Faith Hill, and so much more), the movies, the sitcoms/TV shows, and just the overall lifestyle back then! And I am honestly grateful I grew up before the whole “iPhone world” and everyone constantly being glued to their phones. I feel like my friends and I had so much fun in a way that just seems better or different from how I see teens interact nowadays. I’m sure I may be looking back with some rose-colored glasses on, but if I had to pick a time of my life that gives me the serious warm fuzzies, it would be the 90s. 😊 [Note from NGS: I 100% feel the same. It was pre-9/11, so we were not in a constant state of war, hanging out with friends was our entertainment, and the music was so good.]

16.   For my phone….

Yes, maybe a strange one on the heels of #15. I’ll admit, it’s a love-hate relationship. Parts of me really wish we could turn back the clock to those simpler, freer days of the ‘90s. You walked out the door and no one could contact you. No interruptions. No distractions. Just pure living!

BUT, there are obvious advantages to smartphones and 24/7 technology. Google maps, anyone? My beloved Google calendar? Digital photos?! Of course, there are a million perks.

 I’m specifically grateful for how phones allow us to stay in touch with people. I have some very robust text threads/chains with blog friends from all over the world that I enjoy so much. I connect with my sister and parents way more often via text than I’m sure I would if we could only call or write.

17.   For clean, running water and indoor plumbing

Seriously, do you ever stop and pause to think about this? I don’t have some super personal story to incorporate here besides just that I’m really, really grateful to have clean, running water every day for drinking and cooking, and let’s all pause and give a huge shout out to our toilets and showers. The end.

18.   For funny stuff!

I’m a real sucker for funny stuff. Go ahead and send me your favorite memes or reels, a great one-liner, or a well-placed emoji. I’m here for it. Man, there is some dumb stuff on the internet, but also, MAN there is some hilarious stuff, too! πŸ˜‚ It can totally brighten my day, and I’m grateful for it.

 I think I have a pretty easy sense of humor; I will always tend toward “light” over “serious” in conversations, I’m quick to insert a little quip, and I laugh easily. I’m grateful for this personality trait, because I personally think it’s a good one to have. 😊


19.   For my stint as Volunteer Coordinator of my son’s swim team

My youngest (14 y/o) son is a swimmer, and I ended up being the Volunteer Coordinator of his swim team for at least 4 years. It was a big job (on top of my, you know, actual full time job….). It’s over now, thank God, but I’m grateful that I did it. It helped me really connect with other parents on his team, I learned new skills, I gained an important new perspective!, I gave back to a program that has given a lot to my son/our family, and I hope it helped set a good example for the boys.

20.   “That I didn’t die young”

In closing, how about a deep one! This is something my dad said once some years back, as we were writing things we were thankful for on Thanksgiving to make a gratitude chain. It stuck with me, and I am so grateful for this, too.

Obviously, I am not that old yet- I’m 40- and I’m nowhere near ready to go yet! Let’s just put that out there loud and clear to the Universe. πŸ˜‰ But I do sometimes think…. If God forbid, I had to die at this age, I’ve already lived so much! I have experienced so many amazing things. I didn’t die as a baby, or a young child. I got to experience the joy of graduating high school, and college, and starting a career, and getting married, and having babies, and traveling the world. Nothing can take those experiences away from me at this point, and I’ve already made it so much farther than so many others have. WHAT A BLESSING!


********************
Well, there you have it! 20 Things I’m Grateful For. I hope you also learned a little about me along the way. 

Thanks again to Engie for the opportunity to guest post! If you don’t already have a regular gratitude practice, I’d really encourage you to give it a try! I would love to hear about it. :) 

32 comments:

  1. It's so fun to hear more about Kae and of course the post is about gratitude!! I love all of the things in the list but that last one really resonates with me. I have had family members die fairly early in life and I really believe that we should make the most of our lives while we can, as you never know what may happen. I am trying to do that more and more every day but probably still need to step up my game when it comes to keeping in touch with people and making an effort to see them more!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think keeping in touch with people is so hard! I really struggle with the balance because it could be a full-time job for me to phone all the important people all the time, couldn't it?

      Delete
    2. Agree, Engie! I sometimes struggle with that balance, too, especially when I have relatively limited "free time" in this stage of life. For example, sometimes out on a walk, I'll think, Oh, I could call so and so and catch up. But then another part of me is like, But, it was a crazy day and I really just want to listen to a podcast and zone out, even if I DO also really want to catch up with so and so....

      Delete
  2. What a great list!

    Can I just say that I am soooo jealous of the bed making situations that you and Engie have? And also that I loved every minute that I spent in Wisconsin. It's so beautiful there.

    But most of all, I am so grateful for spicy food! It's one of my greatest pleasures in life.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha ha. The bed making situation is always better in Wisconsin?

      Delete
    2. Hehehe! Yes Engie, maybe it's a WI thing. ;) And Birchie, I'm so happy to hear that you also love spicy food! You phrased it perfectly- it really is one of my greatest pleasures in life, too!

      Delete
  3. Loved this gratitude list, Kae! It really resonated and it was quirky :)! Off to look up your blog!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, I do hope you follow Kae's blog. She writes such interesting posts!

      Delete
    2. Thanks, Maya! I'm glad you enjoyed it. :) It's actually hard to narrow down to just 20 items, especially when I think the first things most people think of are the "usuals" (health, family, etc.). Of course I am so grateful for those more obvious/basic things, but I also like to try to think outside the box a little bit, because those other, more quirky things are really real and important, too. :)

      Delete
  4. I think taking note of Things We Are Grateful For is an important exercise. It's a great way to reclaim our Joy. This is a wonderful list, Kae.

    Like Engie, I have a house that was built much earlier than yours--1940! My bathroom is so little I can stand in the middle and touch both walls with outstretched fingertips. But it's all ours, and I love it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Right? I love our old, quirky house. It's all ours!!

      Delete
    2. It really is a useful practice, for me anyway. Thanks, Nance! I'm glad to see so much house love showing up here. That's awesome!

      Delete
  5. If I had to come up with 20 things, mine would be different than yours, but that's okay! I like the idea of focusing on the positive; I just requested that book from the library. I'm grateful for the library!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am SO grateful for the library and that I live so close to one. I don't even know what I would do without it in my life. I would certainly not be able to afford my reading habit.

      Delete
    2. Oh yes, the library is great! I have definitely shared "the library" as an answer on my daily gratitude prompts before, I think multiple times!

      Delete
  6. What a fun post. Kae has a lovely family and a light & personality. Her boys are the cutest and I love the Random Tidbits.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I forgot to add that our family also loves Costa Rica and that quote from Kae's dad is so wonderful and I'll keep it with me---"Glad I didn't die young".

      Delete
    2. I just keep thinking of that song "If I Die Young" by the Band Perry? Does anyone else know that song?

      Delete
    3. Yes, I know that song NGS! And Suz, yay- isn't Costa Rica the BEST?! Such a great place!

      Delete
  7. There couldn't have been a more perfect post from you, Kae, and I loved it all... and I can relate to you in so many ways!

    You have a Yamaha piano, right? I think this is the first thing I noticed when I came across your blog for the first time. I have the same one, I bought it for myself when I was 17, but it's sitting at my parents' house and I miss it so much. I wish I had it here . I always loved playing the piano. I guess I could have gotten one here, but we never had the space for it.

    And while we're on the topic of space... having this basement office > having no office (I work from the living room and it sucks. I need a space with a door LOL).
    I am also very thankful for speaking a second language fluently (it's life-enriching!) and that I was born into a safe and happy family. That IS a privilege that we sometimes forget.

    I absolute relate to being a 90s girl (even though I am a few years older than you, the 90s were definitely my happy place!) and at the same time, I really love my iPhone (well, especially now because it connects me with people who are not physically close by!).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. 90s girls unite!! I think we're roughly the same age, San. I wonder if culture was different in Germany than in the US or if we basically had the same experience growing up?

      I sort of wish I'd learned how to play piano because with San, Kae, and Nicole, it seems to bring such joy to people who do play. I was in marching band in high school and played clarinet for seven years, but I never touched it after high school graduation.

      Delete
    2. Yes, I have a Yamaha U3! Love it!! I remembered that you have the same one! So sad that you don't have it with you. I suppose that would be quite expensive to ship. lol!

      And YES I really am so grateful for having an office space. I cannot imagine having to work in a public space in our house! We do have a desk in our upstairs sunroom, but it's literally RIGHT in the middle of the house. Would not work for calls, meetings, etc at all.

      Delete
  8. So fun to see Kae featured in this blog series! I adore Kae! We have a good amount in common and are both midwestern girls with 2 boys, although I'm on the opposite end of the spectrum in terms of having kids early v late! She just turned 40 and that is about how old I was when I had Taco so I like to tell her - hey, just think, you could have an infant right now? I think it's probably optimal to have kids younger because we feel that parenting is a young man's game. It was nice to be very financially stable when we had kids, though, and to be in a very stable place in our careers, but overall, I would like my 20-something energy when parenting... hence the reason that I really need naps on weekends to restore my energy levels.

    We have an older home, too - it was built in 1925. Our last one was built in 1915 so we have only owned old home. That said, both were significantly renovated by previous owners, so they don't really feel OLD. But they have quirks to them, of course. I'm just glad our house has a furnace and not a boiler, though, as we are less intimidated by the upkeep of a furnace - which is maybe not a logical way to think about it, but some of the mechanical rooms of the houses we looked at WERE A MESS. We were particular about buying in a certain area of Minneapolis and we did not want a tear-down/rebuild house so we knew we would be buying an older home. But we lucked out to get one that had been nicely updated.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Awww thanks Lisa! You know I adore you too!! :)

    And lol about the "young man's game" thing... I do agree! I hear your stories and am like PHEW thank goodness some of that is behind us now. haha! But you make it look easy!! I think I would be a lot crabbier than you seem to be. :)

    I feel like the way older homes like the early 1900s one have a definite charm. I think mine is not really in that realm- it's not THAT old- but also, it's definitely not new. But, like yours, much of our house has been updated or renovated, so that helps a lot. The neighborhood though is clearly made up of other older homes, so it's never going to have the same look as the big new neighborhoods! But that's ok- I actually overall really like the calm, laid back feel of our neighborhood. I have said before, I'm not sure I'd want to have to "keep up with the Joneses" or whatever all the time. LOL!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love all of these! It is good to sometimes stop and think about what life would be like without electricity, or running water. And then the more personal things- you have some good ones! I found myself saying "I wish I had learned to lift weights in high school!" or "I wish I had had my kids when I was younger" but what I should do is make my own gratitude list. It's different for all of us, but we all have plenty to be grateful for.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh gosh, yes! It's never meant to be a comparison at all- like you said, we all have different things that work for us and different circumstances, etc! You definitely just need to make your own list!! :)

      Delete
  11. Well, you know I LOVE Kae and so seeing her guest posting made my day <3

    We also have an older home; 1972, I think. It has lots of quirks and needed a lot of upgrading, but it has "excellent bones" and now that we've done most of the cosmetic things that needed doing, we're left with a very nice home. It's modest (and was one of the absolute cheapest houses in our town when we bought it), but it's grown on me.

    Gratitude has made/continues to make a huge difference in my life.

    Today I'm grateful for:
    - eating delicious home-cooked food (we're at my parent's house and so my Mom is cooking)
    - lovely weather
    -finishing a book
    -the Olympics!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh! And I also had my kids young. Almost exactly the same ages as you. I was 23 (about to turn 24) with my first and had recently turned 27 with my 2nd. This year, for the first time, I feel like I'm hitting the sweet spot of - wow, it was intense to have kids when I was young, but I'm NOT GOING TO BE VERY OLD WHEN THEY'RE INDEPENDENT and that is rather awesome.
    Also, my biggest regret in life is not sticking with the piano. Just today my Mom asked if I wanted to inherit her piano one day; we don't really have space in our house, but part of me wants to throw myself into lessons once the kids are grown.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I always love your Happy Things posts which are basically gratitude lists. :) I think we're similar in a lot of ways (not always naturally optimistic but working on it!) And I think picking the piano up once the kids are grown would be amazing! I have actually thought that someday I'd like to restart lessons too just to have a more structured routine to it and to learn some really challenging pieces that I probably wouldn't just tackle on my own.

      Delete
  13. What a cool post. I know I don't stop by all that often but it's great seeing these photos of you and reading about you. It's tough in blogland knowing how much to publish, especially in today's wired up world. But it is nice to see people and learn a bit about them. Thanks for this. I'm doing a catch up and glad I did. And I'm with you. I'm glad I didn't die young, or haven't lost my health. Life has too many exciting things to see, do, read about and check out, people to love, hate and meet, and so many other things too, doesn't it?

    ReplyDelete
  14. Love seeing Kae here, and her gratitude for the Regular Things in Life. It's a good reminder to me - I am more of an Eeyore, with a tendency to, well, forget that I have a lot to be grateful for. Thanks for the reminders, Kae. It's why I love reading your blog. (That, and the travel posts! thanks for taking us along with you!)

    ReplyDelete
  15. What a wonderful list and a great way to get to know you.
    I love the positive vibe throughout all the answers. I can second a couple of things to be grateful for. I used to be very good in my gratitude journaling but at a point it became a chorse so I stopped. Howveer I have a feeling I need to reintroduce it.

    ReplyDelete