Thursday, June 13, 2024

The Change by Kirsten Miller

 

Do you ever finish a book and wonder what you really thought of it. Like...you just aren't sure? Maybe it's smart and has important things to say or maybe it's really a cynical view of the world and you aren't ready to deal with its realities or maybe it's just fiction and you should be glad you read a story and why does the story always have to mean something or stand for something or maybe you just didn't want to be in the world of that story and want to avoid thinking about it anymore? 

That's sort of how I feel about The Change by Kirsten Miller. 

Three women in their forties discover a body in their town after they were guided there by voices only one of the women can hear. They have to figure out who is murdering young women in their town while also discovering their true power. 

This is a feminist revenge fantasy and I get it, I really do. Some men really suck. But at the risk of being a #notallmen person, not all men (*sigh*) are terrible and good men played a super small role in this book. When I read a book and start defending men, you know it must have really been something.

Okay. Let me try to frame my thoughts in a coherent manner.

Likes:
Strong women
Women learning something about themselves even after age 25
Female empowerment
Realistic serial killer narrative
The subtle magic, particularly the environmental magic
Nuanced older female characters (read: they aren't always likeable)

Dislikes:
Misandry to the extreme
Unrealistic conspiracy narrative
Super long (almost 500 pages, certainly could have been trimmed by at least 20% - I have ideas on how)
Mild stereotyping of wise Black grandma with second sight

I don't know. It's complicated and I don't know what I think. Lots of food for thought here, but I'm not sure the book worked for me on the whole. However, I do think I'm going to be thinking about it for a long time, so that's good, right? I DON'T KNOW.

3/5 stars, but I reserve the right to change my mind.

Lines of note:

“I’ve read the Bible a few times,” Nessa admitted. “I wouldn’t say I’m an expert when it comes to scripture, but as far as I know, Jesus never had a problem with the word fuck.” (location 916)

There was some humor in this book and I did chuckle a few times.

Wisdom and maturity were supposed to go hand in hand. Nessa had turned forty-eight in February, and she still didn’t have a clue. (location 1159)

Oh, boy. I was hoping 48 was the magic year when I would suddenly know how to adult.

Mattauk hid its poor people well. Or maybe, Jo realized to her chagrin, she’d never really bothered to look. (location 2347)

I love this sort of self-discovery.

Everything looked a little too perfect, and Jo found the effect uncanny. (location 3255)

I really hate the suburbs. 

Her left hand clutched a bottle of champagne.
 “Are we celebrating?” Nessa asked. 
“Every day is a celebration,” Harriett responded. (location 3825)

YES!! Wear the special makeup. Use the fancy soap. Drink the champagne. Let's celebrate that it's THURSDAY!!

In all the years that she and Harriett Osborne had been neighbors, the two women had exchanged exactly sixty-two words. (location 5740)

LOLOLOLOL. Imagine counting the words in a conversation. 

Things I noted:

pomegranate aril (location 6342) - I saw pomegranate arils for sale at Costco on Friday and examined them so carefully because I'd never seen the word "aril" before. AND THEN THAT NIGHT I READ IT IN THIS BOOK. The Baader-Meinhof phenomenon is real.


Hat mentions (why hats?):

When Nessa reached the room, she found a figure standing at the bedside, hat in hand. (location 1125)

A red-faced man in a cowboy hat clapped a hand on Chase’s shoulder. (location 3281)

Really pulled a rabbit out of the hat with that one. (location 3288)

Jo watched with immense satisfaction as he danced around the lawn, waving his cowboy hat frantically in the air as two angry bees flew in circles around his head. (location 3305)

Most of the women were gathered in pools of shade, their hair tucked under dramatic straw hats that made them look like characters in The Great Gatsby and their eyes hidden behind big, dark glasses. (location 3358)

"Each of its flowers will be the size of a party hat, and every part of the plant will be chock full of poison.” (location 4147)

A man sat hunched down in the driver’s seat, watching them, his hat positioned so it cast a shadow on his face. (location 4852)

“Hello, Harriett,” he said, tipping his cowboy hat from a careful distance. (location 6227)

*****************

Have you read this book? If so, please let me know what I should think about it. I'm quite amenable to changing my star score.

15 comments:

  1. I did read this. I liked it a lot, but I kind of felt like I was supposed to LOVE it and I didn't. I loved how the protagonists are older females and I highlighted so many passages that made me nod in agreement - that whole chapter about Jo and her period and how much it sucked to have to bleed every month - I practically highlighted that whole chapter. And the writing was really funny in parts. But I think in the end, the plot just didn't do it for me. The whole thing just felt rage-y and that wasn't terribly satisfying.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, there were parts I agreed with and I chuckled at a lot of it, but it was also so harsh and pessimistic about the human condition. I'm not even sure if I liked it. But maybe I did? Ugh. Confusing.

      Delete
  2. I have not read this book, but I appreciate your review so much. This is exactly what fiction should do, right? Make you think and grapple with things, even if those things are why you didn't like the fiction in question. "The Baader-Meinhof phenomenon is real." <-- This and your aril experience made me giggle. So fun!

    My current read uses the new-to-me word "fossicked" frequently (I have not bothered to look it up; from context, it seems like it means something similar to "rummaged about" or "riffled through.") I am just waiting to encounter it in the real world!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It IS what fiction should do. I'm going to be honest - I'm still thinking about this book and that's a good thing. It is smart fiction, but certainly not enjoyable.

      A search on my blog shows I've looked up fossicked while reading The Luminaries and Hamnet. It's such a good word!

      Delete
  3. Your review gave me Naomi Alderman's _The Power_ vibes. Super feisty and feminist-y, and I should have loved it, but I couldn't.

    Also, why 48, right? I thought 42 was the answer to life, the universe, and everything :P

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We read The Power for book club in 2019. Most people liked this book a lot more than I did (a theme that comes up over and over again in my book club). I thought the idea was interesting, but the actual story was a bit lackluster. However, despite any misgivings I have about this book, it sparked a really interesting discussion about small town politics in our small town. It definitely was a good choice for book club. They do have similar rage-y themes.

      Delete
  4. Yes, I've had that experience with books before, although I haven't read this one. It sounds pretty interesting- but I'll probably skip it. Although... I do like the quotes you included.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's full of meaty themes and questions, though. I don't know if I recommend it, but I want people to read it so they can tell me what to think about it.

      Delete
  5. I've not read this one or even heard about it until now. Um, I try not to overthink my books because usually, for me, it's just to get away from my real life, which I tend to think too much about. 🤣

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We have dramatically different approaches to entertainment. It's those differences that make the world go around.

      Delete
  6. I always struggle when authors almost automatically pair their strong female characters with equally strong portrayals of all/most men being trash. There's so much in nuance and I want to read about an empowered and evolving woman who encounters men of all sorts (as people are wont to do in the real world) and how they stay authentic (or don't!) in those differing interactions... Part of me really wants to read this now but another part of me is shying away HAHA!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a complicated book, that's for sure. There are some okay(ish) fellows, but I came away from this book really wanting to defending men and that made me feel dirty. LOL.

      Delete
  7. I have read it for the book club. And we even had Kirsten miller join us for the book club discussion. It was really interesting. I think my feelings were slightly higher than yours but after the talk I loved it. I agree it is a book that stays with you and makes you kept going back. In my opinion if a book manages that in our world of noise and distraction it is a book well written even if I may not grasp all aspects. I agree with you on the black grandma woman. I remember Miller said something about it in our talk why she opted to do it like that but I can't remember...

    Miller was in advertising and one of the scenes in the book was close to her own experience. She had to do a stupid ad for a company that was sexist and she said it is not what they should do. She was not taken serious and so she quit her job. I found that very authentic and strong.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. AH!! It was YOU! I was trying to figure out which blogger had recommended it to me. I have updated my spreadsheet appropriately.

      I think this is a book that is beyond whether or not I liked it. I am thinking about it a lot and it's going to stick with me and isn't that what literature is all about?

      Delete
    2. Totally agree. Some of the books I most think about (the Power e.g.) I really didn't like when reading. Its another level of writing if an author can do that.

      Delete