Thursday, June 06, 2024

Podcast Roundup May 2024

Here are a handful of podcast episodes that have touched me recently.
Illustration by Damien Linnane

"What's Up, Michael Freeman?" from Ear Hustle (S13, E02) - Ear Hustle has been spending a lot of time discussing the aging of the prison population in recent seasons and this episode was all about a hospice facility in a California prison. It was so sad and so hopeful and made me feel all the feels. 


"In the World of Medicine, Race-Based Diagnoses Are More than Skin Deep" and "Who Does Language Belong To? A Fight Over the Lakota Language" from Code Switch 

Maya recommended the first of these episodes in my last podcast roundup and I am so grateful to her for that recommendation. Basically, we have these heuristics about health and race (black people are more susceptible to sickle cell disease, Hispanic kids get asthma more often, etc.), but that those heuristics are often wrong or based on outdated information. Furthermore, doctors learn these shortcuts and often rely on them to the point of forgetting that there are other diagnoses out there for people of color, leading to delays in treatment. Super interesting and worth a listen.

The episode about the Lakota language is also really interesting. The language is slowly becoming extinct as the average speaker is over seventy years old. There's infighting about who should have the rights to the dictionary and recordings of elders speaking the language. It's honestly too bad because it's possible that infighting will prevent a new generation from learning the language and will further fracture the Lakota peoples. 

"Oregon's Drug Decriminalization Experiment" from Fresh Air - I have so many questions about why drug decriminalization doesn't work in the US and this podcast episode convinced me that it's because we don't have proper treatment facilities for mental illness or substance abuse. We don't have safe injection sites, we don't have resources for homeless people, and it all means that this is a mess. *sigh*

"Towers of Silence" from 99% Invisible - A heartbreaking story about the effects of climate change, human intervention in the natural world, and how it has impacted an important religious practice that has been going on for centuries. I listened to this on a long road trip and can still remember just what desolate part of the interstate I was on while I was listening. Haunting.

"We Regret to Inform You" from Reveal - When law enforcement officials go to tell relatives that their loved ones have died, they sometimes use that time to gather evidence. This episode discusses how this practice came to be and the ethics of what's going on during death notifications. I found the whole thing incredibly upsetting.

********************

What's the best thing you've listened to recently? 

18 comments:

  1. I listen to podcasts all the time but now I'm completely blanking. What HAVE I listened to lately? Mostly I listen to very light things, but I did listen to an Ologies episode on crimes of atrocity, which was both grim and uplifting, somehow.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think I thought I just listened to comedy and news podcasts, but I think I'm lying to myself. Maybe I should do a pie chart of my podcast genres to see what I really listen to. I definitely think the investigative podcasts are the ones that really stick with me, but there's a certain skill in creating light and humorous podcasts and I respect comedy podcasts, too.

      Delete
  2. You know I rarely listen to podcasts, but I have been on a Lazy Genius kick and it has been truly lovely.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am fascinated by people who binge podcasts. I like a variety, but I also see how it would be nice to just have the same voices with you all the time.

      Delete
  3. Thanks for the shoutout, Engie! I sent that one to all the health professionals I know.

    I always think I don't listen to podcasts, but NPR is on 24/7 in the kitchen and I guess I do listen to CodeSwitch, Hidden Brain, Fresh Air, and the rest. "We Regret to Inform You" sounds like it would send me into a Hulk-style rage. I've grown to really dislike the way law enforcement regularly misuses power. (Why would anyone need to shoot 10,000 dogs a year "in the line of duty"?!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have almost stopped listening to NPR in favor of NPR podcasts. It's actually easier for me to listen when I'm walking the dog or driving the car or whatever and not being tied to a radio. But it's all the same programming!

      Delete
  4. I usually listen to lighter podcasts, which makes me feel slightly guilty. I feel like I SHOULD know about these things you're talking about, but I also think if I listened to them in the morning I would arrive at work enraged and depressed.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha! Yeah, maybe it's not a great fit for your morning routine.

      Delete
  5. I agree with you, Drug Decriminalization is a mess. It's not working and people are not getting better. Such a sad state of affairs and it affects so many families.
    My daughter has given many death notices and I can only say for her, this is devastatingly emotional and it's all she can do to bear witness.

    I've been listening to more audiobooks than podcasts lately.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have been listening to a lot of audiobooks, too. Life is crazy right now and reading actual words has been hard to fit in, but I can always listen when I'm walking the dog and doing chores. It's a life hack!

      Delete
  6. These all sound so great! I've been trying to balance the more serious/dark documentaries we've found ourselves watching at night with some lighter podcasts on my drives. Last week, I listened to one from Des Linden and Kara Goucher ("Nobody Asked Us") that touched on what happens to prize money when athletes lose medals/wins that I found super interesting and then an episode of "This is Joy and Claire" from a ways back that talked about the importance of ritual and routines in daily life. Wow, those were random to pair together, haha!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ooohhh!! I've never even wondered what happened to prize money when people lose medals. What an interesting topic!

      Delete
  7. Wow, I will be sure to add those episodes to my queue. I am all into languages, so the Lakota language one is relevant to me. Also, the Towers of Silence and We regret to inform you". Those sound heavy.
    I do moderately lighter podcasts.. Hidden Brain, the Lazy genius, Best laid plans and Chasing Life. Also, What Fresh Hell.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have a number of lighter podcasts, too, but I rarely acknowledge them in this space. It's hard to do comedy in this age of *shakes fist in the air* whatever is going on right now, so I should call out the podcasts that take me out of the heaviness more often.

      Delete
  8. I don't know any of these podcasts. The language one might be up my alley. I do listen to Ed Gandia's writing podcast. But its more business rather than pleasure. And I started to listen to the BBC World book podcast – at least all the books Ive read. Not a fan of knowing too much before diving into a book.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't like knowing too much about books before I start them, either. I want to go in with a completely fresh slate!

      Delete
  9. Not trying to be judgy here, but goodness, these sound, well, a bit depressing? Of course, I'm someone who tends to listen to sports podcasts, so please ignore me. ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, I do listen to fun podcasts, but they rarely make this list! Next time I'll do some more lighthearted stuff.

      Delete