Friday, May 31, 2024

All Creatures Great and Small (All Creatures Great and Small #1 & 2) by James Herriot

All Creatures Great and Small by James Herriot and narrated by Christopher Timothy was recommended me to as a riveting audiobook. Since I have recently become road trip lady, I was excited that it was available to immediately download and listen and spent the last weekend listening to it.

I had very vague memories of watching the show on PBS when I was a child, but as with most things I watch, this memory is mostly old cars going up and down hills and an occasional cow. 

This book was cozy and delightful, filled with whimsical anecdotes of Herriot's first few years as a veterinarian apprentice in the Yorkshire Dales. It's pretty low stakes, unless you're really concerned about whether or not cows died a century ago, but that doesn't mean that there weren't chapters where I was deeply concerned about the safety of other people on the road because I was crying (I'm mostly thinking of chapter eleven, if you need to know). There's a bit of medical grossness, but there were only one or two instances where I made a face because it was pretty gross. Most of it was very PG. 

I didn't love this narrator. He talked pretty slowly and even I, a loyalist to regular playback speed (it's how the performance was intended to be listened to - you don't speed it up when you listen to the Beatles or watch Dirty Dancing, do you?) was tempted to bump that up. But I did listen to the normal speed and sort of enjoyed the leisurely pace after a bit. It's a great antidote to the go go go world of 2024, especially the scenes where he just gets out of the car and looks around. 

I think you'll know from the above description if this is the right book for you or not. It's over fifteen hours on audio, so it's not a short listen, but it was an interesting one if you're into that sort of thing.

4/5 stars

Lines of note:

They had a toughness and a philosophical attitude which was new to me. Misfortunes, which would make the city dweller want to bang his head against the wall were shrugged off with "ah, well, these things happen." (timestamp 1:44:50)

I need to cultivate this attitude.

When Siegfried got an idea, he didn't muck about. Immediate action was his watch word. (timestamp 3:22:00)

I also need to cultivate the ability make and act on decisions quickly.

...seemed always to be at my elbow, filling up the enormous glass or pushing dainties at me. I found it delightful.(3:56:12)

Who doesn't like to be treated to the good life?

If only vetting just consisted of treating sick animals, but it didn't. There were so many other things. (timestamp 6:10:12)

People. By "other things," he means people.

Over my thirty odd years in practice I can recall many occasions when I looked a complete fool, but there is a peculiarly piercing quality about the memory of myself, bare to the waist, the center of a ring of hostile stares..(timestamp 10:44:35)

Do you have a memory that haunts you? It's not the big things that haunt me (the time I wrecked the car, CCed everyone in our department on an email with FERPA-protected information, or fell and broke my leg), but what keeps me up at night is an incident where I accidentally turned in a paper in college that had one page of a draft copy that had my copyediting marks on it instead of the final draft. Serious nightmare material there. 

I often had trouble identifying people outside their usual environment. (timestamp 14:22:46)

This is me. I am terrible about it. One time I saw a woman with a tiny baby in a coffeeshop and I knew that I knew her from somewhere, but I couldn't place her. She was so excited to see me and asked me if I wanted to hold her baby (and I did because I'm not a monster and this baby was teeeeeeeeny) and we had an entire conversation and I left feeling like maybe I was a monster because I still never figured out who she was.

She was a woman who worked at the organization where I had volunteered and had been on maternity leave for a few months and I only realized it when she returned to work. Apparently this is the post where I share with you all of my embarrassing stories. 

Hat mentions (why hats?):

When I first entered the hillside barn, I'd been surprised to see a little, bright-eyed old man in a porkpie hat settling down comfortably on a bale of straw. (timestamp 5:57)

Uncle took off his hat and scratched his head in disbelief. (timestamp 13:50)

I might have been in an office with the windows tight shut against the petrol fumes and the traffic noise, the desk light shining on the columns of figures, my bowler hat hanging on the wall. (timestamp 1:50:50)

A mass of curls, incongruous and very dark, peaked from under her hat. (timestamp 3:14:06)

...wore an ancient hat with a brim which flopped around his ears.  (timestamp 4:01:34)

"Don't you ever think of wearing a hat?" (timestamp 4:44:28)

...had removed his hat and was beating the dogs off with it. (timestamp 6:12:16)

...lashed out again with his hat and was gone. (timestamp 6:13:53) 

...but he had a stripy top hat, too, and a stick. (timestamp 6:34:52)

There should have been a beautiful woman in one of those pointed hats peeping out from that mullioned casement. (timestamp 9:59:26)

"I'll get me hat." (timestamp 11:37:53)

...expensive tweed coats and fur-trimmed hats. (timestamp 14:00:49)

The man looked down at the hat. (timestamp 14:48:14)

20 comments:

  1. Same as you - saw the TV show as a young 'un, and read it a long, long time ago. Even with the slow narrator I'm putting this on my audio book list for the road. I've picked out three books for my trip, but I know that I'll need more.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're going to be in the car a lot! I sort of felt like I had to break this one up on my road trip. An hour of calving and an hour of music.

      Delete
  2. I just imagined speeding up Dirty Dancing and honestly, that would be a riot. I'vehadthetimeofmylifeandIoweitalltoyou

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Imagine the dance scenes just flying by!

      Delete
  3. I'm LOL-ing at Nicole's speedup: "I'vehadthetimeofmylifeandIoweitalltoyou."

    James Herriot was a childhood fave, and I might have to do a nostalgia read since you liked it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It holds up, I think. It's not surprising that they're still mining these books for tv shows and the like.

      Delete
  4. Hmm, when you were crying chapter 11 was it because something bad happened to an animal? I'm SUPER sensitive to things like that.
    I'm also that person who can never recognize people in a different environment. I once didn't recognize my next-door neighbor in the grocery store (that was a LONG TIME AGO- it wouldn't happen now, since we've lived here for 20 years.) I have an ex-boyfriend who was the complete opposite thought- we were once in the library together and he pointed out a man checking out books and said "He was the waiter at our restaurant last night." WHAT????

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lots of stuff happens to lots of animals here, Jenny. But these animals died a hundred years ago, so you have to keep it in perspective. I think the chapters that hit me the hardest were when bad things happened to animals and the humans had to live afterwards. That's so sad.

      Your ex-boyfriend is a magician! How could you ever remember things like that?!

      Delete
  5. Anything by James Herriot tends to be a comfort read for me. I grew up watching the original show, and I LOVE the recent PBS version (well the first two seasons at least; didn't love the third).

    It's a mix of hilarity, relatable anecdotes, and lovely creatures!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, James Herriot seems to be a bit bumbling and I enjoy that immensely, as a fellow bumbler.

      Delete
  6. Oh, I so love these books! I read them like it was my JOB when I was trapped in the car with my parents and my little sister on a cross-country road trip when I was 17. They are SO GOOD. I love everything about them. Treat yourself and read the rest of the series rather than listen to them.

    The new series on PBS is very good. I wasn't even aware there had been an earlier one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, boy, these are long books. LOL. I don't know if I want to dive in right now, but maybe someday. I can see how they were so popular back in the day.

      Delete
  7. I remember reading this book/these books to Sue a very long time ago. We probably still have a couple of events that were put into children's books.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I definitely can see why these books were so popular. The stories are fun for people of all ages.

      Delete
  8. Never saw the show(s?) but loved the books when I was a kid. I still remember a cow - or sheep? - with uterine prolapse. I loved that stuff even as a kid - I guess I knew I'd go into a profession with increased exposure to things that are gross (human, in my case, LOL).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was a cow with a uterine prolapse. I sort of wish I didn't know that. *sigh*

      Delete
  9. Chris Timothy, as you may remember, was the Herriott in the first series (back when we were much younger.) If you have an chance and enjoy it, catch the recent PBS remake. It might be online and definitely is with PBS Passport if you belong to your local station. It's so darned charming and well done, I can't wait for the next season!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Everyone is raving about the new series! Good to know that it lives up to expectations.

      Delete
  10. I'm not sure I could get through it at a normal speed; I listen to all my audio books and podcasts bumped up just a tad. Sounds like I need to slow down? 🤣 I don't remember this show at all though, maybe it was when you were still being a good kid and I was out running the streets?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was pretty young when the original series was out on PBS, so I was definitely not running the streets/cornfields! I can't believe the number of people who listen to speeded up podcasts and audiobooks - what are you in such a hurry about anyway?!

      Delete