Wednesday, March 13, 2024

2024 Work Uniform (for Colder Months)

TL;DR I wear clothes to work. Generally a dress, leggings, and some accessories. 

********************

I usually work in the office five days a week. I can work from home once in a while, but I meet in-person with students with some frequency and I like to have all the days available so that I can be as flexible as possible to make it work for their schedules. I want to know what I'm going to wear in the morning with minimal thinking. So it's a dress and leggings for me. I have a pair of boots that I leave in my office that I change into every day - just call me Fred Rogers.  

Requirements for my "winter" dresses: sleeves and pockets. I prefer a wrap or faux wrap, but those are challenging to find, so I wear a lot of A-line dresses. I strongly prefer natural fabrics - cotton and wool mostly.  Here's what I wore to work last week.

(I tried to link to exact items of clothing if they're still made. Otherwise I just linked the company.)

********************

Monday:

Just as we were about to leave work for the day, there was a tornado warning (in early March! egads!). My husband and I headed to an interior office (we purposefully did not go to an actual tornado shelter because all the other people would be there) and it was So Loud and So Long and I started doing a mini-photo shoot for the purpose of this blog post. I love that my husband is laughing at me in this photo as if he is still surprised by my nonsense all these years later. 

Dress: Mata Traders
Leggings: Duluth Trading Company (mini review - comfortable leggings with pockets and a wide waistband that doesn't roll - they do fade quickly, so wash them on cool and line-dry them)
Shoes: CYDWOK (I'm not wearing my boots here because we were on our way out the door when the sirens went off and I'd already changed out of them, but I'm wearing my CYDWOK Mary Janes - this link is not an exact match because CYDWOK doesn't make these exact shoes anymore, but I've had them for more than a decade, so they are well worth the investment - I will evangelize for this company for the rest of my life)
Accessories: Twisted Silver bracelet (not this exact one), handmade daisy beaded bracelet

I have a thin black belt I sometimes wear with this dress to give it/me more of a waist.


Tuesday:
I was at a fair on another campus this day, so I didn't go into the office. No photos, but I wore some dark wash boot cut jeans (Duluth Trading Company), brown boots (Redwing Heritage Collection), sleeveless purple shirt (Limited from fourteen years ago - see this post!), black cardigan (from White House Black Market literally decades ago when they only sold white and black items), and brown belt (Gap from a decade ago).  

Wednesday:


Dress: Toad & Co. (the pocket in this dress is less than ideal, but it's there)
Leggings: Duluth Trading Company
Boots: CYDWOK 
Scarf: Present from my friend Essen in grad school 
Accessories: Twisted Silver bracelet (not this exact one), handmade daisy beaded bracelet

Thursday:


Dress: Mata Traders 
Leggings: Duluth Trading Company
Boots: CYDWOK
Scarf: I have long since removed the tag, so I don't know the designer, but I bought it at Helen Winnemore's, a cute shop in Columbus, Ohio

Friday:

Leggings: Duluth Trading Company
Boots: CYDWOK
Accessories: Twisted Silver bracelet (not this exact one), handmade daisy beaded bracelet

********************
Here is a close-up of my boots. I am super picky about shoes because of my bad leg and I can wear these shoes all day and not be in pain. No insoles or anything. Yes, I spent hundreds of dollars on these, but I wear them every day and they are amazing. (For those of you who read MBF for CBBC, I always think about how they are handmade!)

Here are my Mary Janes. I took them to get resoled in January of this year and my cobbler said that his first ticket on them was from 2014, so they are at least a decade old. I wear them a lot. They've also been resoled and repaired a number of times.

********************
In my office, I have a grey infinity scarf (winterweight), a lightweight pink scarf (summerweight), and a grey cardigan (from H&M that I bought in an emergency when I was underdressed during a summer trip) that I store in a cabinet in case I'm ever underdressed and cold. The cardigan is polyester and violates my natural fabric rule, but it was purchased before I had that rule in place.


********************
I have two other three-quarter length sleeve dresses with pockets (see below) that I didn't wear this week, so I have a total of six "winter" dresses. I'd like one or two more to fill out my collection, but there's no rush on it since the season is winding down.

On the left: Betabrand dress (from years ago, so they no longer stock it)
On the right: Audrey dress from O'Connell's - This is 100% the most flattering dress I own. It doesn't have great hangar appeal, but it's amazing on me. 

And that's it. Dress, leggings, maybe a scarf. Bracelets. CYDWOK boots.  

My "everyday" bracelets.

********************
Note that most weeks I do a lunchtime stretch class three days a week via Zoom wearing these clothes. Occasionally, I actually go to a yoga class at the student union for a 30 minute video and I do not change my clothes - I just wear my dress and leggings. People sometimes act like it's a big deal to wear a dress, but I swear to you that it's just as comfortable for me as my pajamas. 

I have a handful of blazers and cardigans I will wear over dresses if I'm doing something formal like a conference or teaching (or if I'm just cold). Here they are.

Black cardigan: This is the one from White House Black Market from decades ago. I bought it at the WHBM at the Mall of American when I lived in Minnesota. (Also is polyester.)
Purple cardigan: Salaam Clothing (maybe a decade old? - certainly not on their website anymore) (Also is polyester.)
Orange blazer: I.N.C. from Macy's - I bought this when I was on a work trip to Chicago years and years ago and I was very, very cold. The lining is shredded, but it's a cute piece.
Silver blazer: Ann Taylor from fourteen years ago - I can date this one because I bought it for my twin niece and nephew's baptism and they are fifteen now. My nephew puked on it at the ceremony and you can still see the slight stain if you know what to look for. Hasn't stopped me from wearing that blazer about a million times since then. 

I would definitely lint roll this before I left the house in it. It is clear I have a cat, right?

This is a jacket from O'Connell's. It goes amazingly well with just about any black dress, but when I pair it with the Audrey or Toad & Co. dress, it is sheer perfection.

********************
I rarely pay full price for anything, outside of my shoes and leggings, and I could probably get the leggings on sale if I paid more attention. I think maybe my husband paid full price for my silver bracelet, but I wear it most days and have for years and years, so I think it's probably paid for itself. Everything else that I've shown here I bought on discount of one sort or another. I try to get clothes at end-of-season sales. (I know I should thrift more. The thing is that I live in a relatively low-income rural area and the thrift shops here are full of fast fashion junk with oddly high prices. I could drive an hour or so away for nicer places, but I literally do not have time to hunt down the "good" thrift shops and I have so far refused to make it a priority. I don't enjoy being in thrift stores and the process of clothes shopping is already painful enough.)

********************
Now, I don't anticipate changing much about this as the weather gets warmer because the AC means my office is the same temperature. We'll see. Maybe I'll be doing this to talk about what I wear during the summer later on. Same uniform with eight short-sleeved dresses!

********************
Do you have a work uniform?  Does getting dressed in the morning require a lot of thought for you?

39 comments:

  1. I prefer tights, but otherwise YES on the dresses for work-- so easy! My fave is the Thursday dress, but all of these look so cute.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I need the warmth of leggings in the winter. I am currently wearing fishnets because it's warm outside!! I know this is a temporary weather blip, but over the summer, I'll move to tights and hose.

      Delete
  2. You are adorable and I love that photo of you and your husband, too. (Although tornado warning?! No thanks.) LOVE your uniform. I used to love wearing dresses and tights but these past few years I've felt less kindly toward my knees. But your dresses are great and you look fabulous. I am seriously eyeing that Audrey dress. Ahem -- how much does it go on sale, when it does?

    My "uniform" is leggings, sports bra, and exercise tank. Until I have to go out into public, and then I (usually) change into skinny jeans and a tank-or-tee/cardigan combo.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. O'Connell's has 20% off sales in the summer. Looks like it's in July. When I get an email from them with a sale, I'll send it your way! O'Connell's pieces are investments, but they're worth every penny.

      A sports bra would never be part of my uniform! Not nearly cozy enough for me. I admire that you can pull that off.

      Delete
  3. I love this! I love all these dresses. I also keep things for as long as possible, and so I tend to splurge on quality items - I do try for sales and I love a good sale, but sometimes that isn't always the case. I like to buy a piece with my entire wardrobe in mind. Since I mostly wear black and grey, with some creams in there, everything matches. I love the Wednesday outfit the most (I have a similar scarf!) but all of them are very cute looks.
    Dresses with - well, I wear tights because I don't like separate socks, but dresses with leggings are a very comfy look. Since I don't really, um, work, I can't answer this really but I do have a daily uniform: jeans, black sweater or black tee with black cardigan, depending. Sometimes I will wear a longer yoga tank instead of a bra and then layer a shorter black long-sleeve tee on top. And the type of jeans depends on whether or not I'm going out - because I like skinny jeans with tall boots but now we are getting into spring so I'll probably go cuffed straight jeans with ankle boots.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The Wednesday look is very Nicole! Like I told Sarah above, tights/hose will come back when it gets a little warmer.

      When I was not working, my home uniform was some yoga pants and a nice top. LOL. It wasn't embarrassing if someone range the doorbell, but it wasn't great.

      I want you to do more fashion posts. I love to see how different people make getting dressed easier for themselves.

      Delete
  4. YESSSSS!!!! I love a good comfy dress with three quarter sleeves and pockets. I'm really picky about shoes as well. Ain't nobody got time to spend the day with uncomfortable feet.

    If I worked in an office, our uniforms would be identical except for the scarves. I have broad shoulders so I don't like throwing anything else up there to widen them, and also it bugs me to have something close to my neck.

    My standard uniform is jeans, short sleeve shirt, and cardigan. The short sleeve/cardi combo gives me the option to adjust for temperature.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do not always understand scarf hate - they're brilliant because they provide warmth, but aren't all up in your neck like a stupid crew neck or something. LOL. But I get it. I do.

      Jeans are not really an option for me because my big lady thighs rub through them within a few wears and it's very frustrating for me. But my dream uniform would be dark wash jeans and a nice top with a scarf. Alas, my body and terrible fabric quality conspire against that. Wear those jeans for me, Birchie!

      Delete
  5. I definitely love the idea of a "uniform". I don't go into office anymore but could definitely see something like this being a lot easier than mixing and matching all sorts of other clothing options. Also, with the million different styles of pants these days, it seems like a nightmare to mix and match the right shoes with the right pants and then the right tops for those.... ugh. My preferred uniform is just my black lululemon leggings and either just a cute workout tank + hoodie if planning to hit gym/ go walking, or if I have meetings/ work, then the black leggings with some kind of top or sweater that looks nice on camera. BUT, I sometimes struggle with feeling like I should wear "real" clothes more instead of just leggings + a top (since the leggings alone + my slippers would not "actually" be work appropriate, i.e. I couldn't wear that exact outfit to an office. I just am so much more comfortable like that, though, sitting at my desk all day. I do have some very comfy dress pants, actually, but that feels like overkill for at home. I'd like to wear jeans + cute top but I generally do not find jeans comfortable to sit in all day long really. So I tend to reach for my leggings most of all.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, and also- I literally did have a uniform for 10 years when I worked in the hospital as an inpatient nurse for all those years. We wore scrubs! I basically had 4 pants and 4 tops that I liked (plus a splattering of long sleeved undershirts and a couple "less favorite" scrub tops in case of a no-laundry-done emergency). It was very lovely to just get up, shower, and grab one of those combinations and go. They all coordinated too so could wear any top with any pant. Definitely perks to a uniform!

      Delete
    2. Pants are TOO HARD for me. I never know what's an appropriate length (do we do ankle length? are capris office appropriate?) and there are so many pants with elastic waistbands that roll and my big lady thighs wear through fabric and I just can't anymore. No more pants.

      If you're work from home, who cares if you're wearing leggings? No one's going to see that, even if you do have a video call! That sounds like a great way of making your WFH life better and comfortable.

      Delete
  6. I love this! I love that you have a collection of work clothes that look good and you feel comfortable in. I literally do have a uniform for work- well, i have a specific shirt i have to wear (that has the company logo and luckily it's comfortable) but then I can choose my pants (within reason) and my choice is black yoga pants. And I wear running shoes. Any time I think about changing jobs I think "Wait... running shoes... yoga pants... I WILL KEEP THE JOB I HAVE."

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes! I used to have a job with a shirt/whatever bottom you wanted uniform and it made life so much easier. I could probably wear running shoes to work and leggings are half a step away from being yoga pants, so we're essentially wearing the same clothes!

      Delete
  7. I have a work uniform! I wore it consistently from about 2003 when I graduated college to 2020 when I started WFH, and still wear it whenever I need to go into the office. In the winter, it's a black button down shirt with the sleeves rolled up and black or gray pants, and in the summer it's a black cap sleeve button down shirt and same pants. I have eight of each type of shirt (and should really consider culling them down, since I only go into the office once or twice a month now). I have problems with decision paralysis, and if I had to choose an outfit every day, I'd never have gotten to work. I always said that people only look at you funny for the first few days or so (at a new job), until they figure out that it's your uniform and not that you're wearing the same shirt every day! Now that I'm working from home, my life uniform is a black tank top and jeans. I do have a few other things in my closet, but I very, very rarely wear anything else.

    (Also "and a grey cardigan (from H&M)"...whispers...that cardigan is blue... 😆 )

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The grey cardigan is grey. LOL. It's the same grey as in the O'Connell's jacket. But you're allowed to think it's blue!

      I could not really wear the exact same uniform every day like that. I think I would get bored. But I can definitely see the merits.

      I am JEALOUS beyond belief of your button down shirts. I have yet to try on a button down that didn't have a gap. Why aren't there any decently designed dress shirts for women with curves. I'm not the bustiest lady in the world, but there's not ever enough room for the girls.

      Delete
  8. Oh, I am so grateful for this post! I am working on building up my in-office uniform pieces. I severely underestimated how much I'll be in front of people presenting and how my size is changing. I'm trying to look at it as an opportunity to think about what THIS version of me wants to wear, but it is a little overwhelming. I LOVE YOUR DRESSES and am so excited to consider Duluth for leggings...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, wow! It is hard to change directions with your wardrobe, but if you do it thoughtfully, it can be fun(ish). I hope this helps you to figure out what direction you want to go. Even if you don't go in the dress direction, you can see how this same approach would be applicable to pants/blouses or skirts/blouses!

      Delete
  9. I used to love getting dressed for work back in the day. But ever since we went from "business" to "business casual" (which has actually morphed into definitely more casual), I usually wear skinny jeans and a long sleeve top in the winter and a short sleeve top (with a sweater just in case) in the summer and punch it up with fun shoes. But, I have been craving getting back into enjoying getting dressed for the few days I'm in the office, so I have been on the hunt for some new work clothes.

    But I agree, dresses are just so easy and not a lot of fuss.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jeans just don't work for me in terms of durability. Otherwise I would totally try to make jeans more important in my wardrobe. I have really struggled finding office appropriate long-sleeve shirts, to be honest, which is why I eventually moved away from separates. I get cold easily and everything was sleeveless or short-sleeve and I just gave up. I'd love some tips for where you get long-sleeve tops that aren't button ups!

      Delete
  10. Oh, you look SO put together in each pic--it's because you've curated all your clothes so mindfully, isn't it? And I love that first pic with the Prof. indulgently laughing...

    I wish my closet were only stocked with things that I love too. (Perhaps this should be a summer project !) I do have a uniform--a silk blouse (I have many colors) and fitted pants. I think everything I have mixes and matches with everything else, but I really do need to cull.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There is remarkably little that's in my close that doesn't get worn regularly. Because I am frugal, I have never been the kind of person with a million items in my closet and I've never run into a situation where I own clothes that I don't like, if not love.

      I own zero silk blouses! Where do you buy them?

      Delete
  11. I love the first photo! You guys look like you're having fun!! Plus your dress and leggings are so comfy you can jump in them!

    I had two pairs of black slacks that I would alternate, and then about 8 tops, same story. I pared it down to one pant and 5 tops and I just wash and repeat, literally. I don't like having to think about what to wear!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wouldn't say the tornado warning was fun, but I was doing my best to lighten the mood. I hate it when these warnings happen when we're at work because I worry about how our dog is doing. LOL.

      Wow! Just one pair of pants! How often are you replacing those? (I'd wear through them in a month. Big girl strong thighs over here.)

      Delete
  12. I work from home and I mostly wear jeans and a T-shirt/windcheater. When we had an office and I went into work I could wear nice jeans and a nice top. All of my jeans have a lot of stretch so they are comfortable, which is a must for anything I wear. If it was hot I'd wear a dress. If I have to get a bit dressier than jeans I always choose a dress over pants. I just find them more flattering and more comfortable.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So many people wearing jeans! I work on a college campus and I rarely see jeans on staff or students! My readers are retro cool.

      Delete
  13. I enjoyed seeing your work outfits. They look comfortable which is high on my list of qualities I want in anything I wear. I haven't been in a Duluth Trading Company in years. I'd forgotten they existed so thanks for the reminder.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Generally, I think Duluth Trading Co clothes are too frumpy/outdoorsy for me, but I have a pair of their jeans that look nice enough for work and the leggings. I wish the leggings were easier to find, though!

      Delete
  14. Women can have so many looks in such a short period of time. Glad the tornado was escaped or blew over or whatever the exact case.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't even know what happened with the tornado. I don't think it landed because it would have been all over the news.

      Delete
  15. I love your style! The leggings with a dress look really nice and put together, and also comfortable. And I’m very interested in your shoes. I have such a hard time finding comfortable shoes. My uniform is jeans and tshirts. But more and more I’m trading the jeans for stretchy knit pants.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jeans are my nemesis. I want to wear them, but they don't want be worn by me. I have found these CYDWOKs to be super comfortable and highly recommend them. I know they have a steep price, though, so that won't work for everyone.

      Delete
  16. Engie, you're so cute I can't stand it!! I love all of your looks. I always struggle to find dresses that feel comfortable to me - they either make me look pregnant or don't offer enough coverage. But I probably haven't been looking in the right places. I need to do more searching!

    I don't really have a work style anymore. I try to at least put on real pants during the day because it just makes me feel more put together. But if it's a day without meetings, I'll just put on some slip-on shorts and a t-shirt!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It took me a long time to find dresses that didn't make me look pregnant or have too deep a v. I'm particular about how much cleavage I show and sometimes that's why I'm wearing a scarf - I don't want to be too busty!

      I don't own shorts that aren't for working out. Not a single pair. I think they're uncomfortable (chub rub!) and unflattering. So I think it's interesting that shorts are your go-to!!

      Delete
  17. I love all the cute dresses! I've seen Mata Trader dresses around and think they are so cute, with all the colours and prints, but I've never bought one before, and now I'm tempted to buy one, but I'm also trying to pare down my wardrobe so that would be counter-production. LOVE that orange blazer!
    Duluth Trading Company leggings are staples for me too. I wish the pockets were tech pockets on the thighs, but everything else is exactly what I want in a legging so, I don't mind.
    When I know I have a busy week coming up, I will lay out all my outfits for the week, and it makes getting dressed so much easier and less mentally taxing when I do that. Otherwise, I'm just staring at my closet in the morning and trying to decide if I should just wear my favorite shirt dress again or if someone will notice...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mata Traders are my go-go. I know what size I am and can reliably count on the fit. They're cotton and a lot of them have pockets. The brand also seems to be pretty ethical and they're transparent about their faults. https://sustainablereview.com/brand-ratings/mata-traders/#:~:text=In%20conclusion%2C%20Mata%20Traders%20is%20rated%20%E2%80%98Good%E2%80%99%20overall.,commitment%20to%20fair%20trade%20and%20improving%20working%20conditions. I do feel like the clothes aren't quite as durable as they might be for the price, but I do keep going back to them.

      I love that I don't really need to lay out my outfits for the week - just grab leggings and a dress and I'm done. It's the best feeling.

      Delete
  18. Love the Thursday dress! I wear black opaque tights with the dresses in the winter but winters in NJ are pretty mild. I love dresses because it's ONE piece. But lately, I've been on a one top/one bottom uniform. Sweater+ pointe pants. Or a blouse+ pointe pants. I have one pair of tall boots plus two pairs of Thursday boots and that's it :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I considered Thursday boots on your recommendation! The Captain and Crown and serious considerations the next time I'm looking for some footwear!

      Delete
  19. I can only say that the first picture is EVERYTHING. You know what comes through in all of them, though? Your comfort in who you are, and how you present yourself to the world. It shows.
    My "work uniform" is on the exact opposite end of the spectrum. No dresses, no skirts, and for goodness sakes, no tights or stockings. :) My not-so-professional "look" consists of yoga pants, jeggings/corduroy leggings, fleeces/sweaters in the winter, and tunic tops and light sweaters in the summer. Never short sleeves and my goodness, NEVER a tank top in MARCH? How do you DO that? Aren't you freezing? (Clearly not, but this just goes to show... different people, different internal thermostats. LOL). Also, I always wear running shoes but need to upgrade to something that is basically a running shoe but looks a little nicer. And this is the longest. comment. ever., which is hilarious when you consider how much I do not care about fashion, or clothing. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. When am I wearing a tank top?! I would never. IN MARCH. I'd be frozen solid. Even when I work out, I'm wearing a tshirt at the very least and sometimes a long-sleeved tshirt!

      I also do not find running shoes comfortable to wear I do not like tennis shoes in general because they squash my toes and tend to irritate my bad leg. Whenever people are talking about how their running shoes are comfortable, I am quite puzzled.

      I don't think there are people out there who genuinely don't care about clothes. Maybe you don't care about fashion, but even people who wear the exact same thing every day still have to care about the clothes themselves (do they cover me? do they itch? do they keep me warm?), so I love how long everyone's comments are because we're all so different about what we care about in terms of clothing.

      Delete