Friday, February 02, 2024

The Indifferent Stars Above: The Harrowing Saga of a Donner Party Bride by Daniel James Brown

When I found out I was going to be driving to Michigan and back, I started doing research into riveting audiobooks on reddit. One of the recommendations was The Indifferent Stars Above by Daniel James Brown and it was available to borrow from the library right away, so I immediately downloaded it. Brown is the author of The Boys in the Boat, which is another relatively popular nonfiction book - I haven't read that one, but if you're wondering where you've heard that name, that's probably where. 

As I started writing this review, it got long and out of control. TL;DR: I liked this book. I would probably eat my dog. 

In April of 1846, Sarah Graves set out with her brand new husband, her parents, and her eight siblings from their home in Illinois to head west to California in a covered wagon pulled by oxen. They eventually start traveling with a larger group and by December, the brutal winter snows in the Sierra Nevada Mountains have trapped them less than one hundred miles from their destination. This book puts the focus on Sarah as a character we follow from the beginning of the journey to the end. It's an interesting choice of a character because unlike many others in the Donner party, Sarah did not leave a journal, she did not talk about her experience to the media afterwards, and the mentions of her in other people's narratives are brief. All of that said, centering the story around a woman was smart and made the story less about ADVENTURE and FREEDOM and more about LIMITED CHOICES for women and CHORES. (Although Sarah did not have any children while she was on this journey, so that made her an unusual woman in that way.) 



There's a lot here. The travelers in this group had left Independence, Missouri weeks later than was recommended. They attempted an unproven shortcut suggested by a charlatan. They made bad choice after bad choice and then once they got to a path in which they had to take the high (hard) road or the low (easy) road, it is easy to see why they chose the low road, even as it was a no good, very bad idea.

Here are questions I thought a lot about as I was reading this story:
1) What kind of person does it take to decide to travel across the country in a covered wagon? Seriously. Is it bravery? Stupidity? Desperation? The Graves family was doing just fine in Illinois - they had a prosperous farm and were popular with their neighbors. What could possibly convince them that they needed to do this? 

2) Even if Sarah had not wanted to go, she had no choice once her husband and father decided that they would. Do we still see this lack of autonomy for women today? What were Sarah's options if she'd wanted to stay in Illinois?

3) Can you imagine what it smelled like? Forget being forced to stay in makeshift cabins while the snow is taller than a human and the smell of food, sweat, feces, and fear, but even just being in the wagon in the open prairie? These people were not bathing regularly, they were driving oxen and herding cows, there were family dogs, and can you even imagine how dirty everyone was? Don't get met started on the body lice and disease. 

4) What would you be prepared to do to survive? Would you eat your family dog? Your oxen that you need to pull you to safety? Another human if they died of natural causes/starvation? Would you decide that murdering someone to increase resources for you and your family is a moral decision? Look, it's easy for me to say that I'd never eat my dog, but if I hadn't had food in twelve days and my body started digesting its own proteins and my general irritableness/mental illness intensified, I mean, who knows what I would do? (NOTE: I have no plans to eat Hannah.)

5) Were the survivors of this ordeal heroes or just people doing what they had to do to make it out of the mountains? I have complicated feelings about people who are adventuring and things go badly. Like, we have to send out the Coast Guard to get you because you took your yacht out in hurricane conditions? It's why I found Cheryl Strayed frustrating in Wild and why I felt like screaming at Christopher McCandless for being an idiot in Into the Wild. But the Donner party was not out living off the grid on a lark and it's hard to put modern motivations and descriptors on them. 

A few other things I want to mention about this book. Brown is amazing and writing succinct, coherent explanations of complicated topics. His prĂ©cis on the Blackhawk War was perfection, his description of what happens to your body at the cellular and mental level as starvation sets in was the most riveting science writing I've read in a long time, and the way he clearly states what he knows from primary sources, what he's inferring from primary sources, and what he has gathered from personal research like walking the trail on his own makes this social scientist proud. 

Brown does have a writing tic I found distracting in that he'll be telling part of a story and then say something ominous like "but there were forces a thousand miles away that were working against the Graves family." He did this SO MANY TIMES in the book. I did not care for this. I also did not particularly enjoy the audiobook narrator's voice, but your mileage may vary on that.

Bottom line. I liked this book. It made me think and be grateful for all I have in 2024. 4.5/5 stars

Line of note:

It is difficult for us, with our 21st century view of the earth, replete with satellite imagery, the internet, 24-hour news broadcasts, GPS systems, and high resolution topographical maps, to comprehend just how potentially terrifying it was for the snowshoe party to come to any fork in what they imagined to be their route to salvation. They knew all too well that a wrong turn, any wrong turn, could mean the difference between living and dying. (timestamp 6:22:03)

Look, this is NOT difficult for me to imagine. I have been lost in the incredibly small town where I live before. I have no sense of direction at all. *sigh* How did I ever get around pre-GPS?  

Hat mentions (why hats?):

He seldom wore shoes and never wore a hat. (timestamp 30:42)

They pulled on woolen socks and battered boots. Franklin and Jay dressed in woolen trousers, woolen shirts, and woolen hats. (timestamp 5:30:25)

28 comments:

  1. I vastly prefer books that have a woman's POV and life so this sounds like something I would...enjoy? I am not sure given the material but a) I have often wondered, mostly because of the Ingalls family, what it would be like travelling in a covered wagon to who the fuck knows where, I mean, honestly, there were no maps, b) women had no choice at all, see again the Ingalls family, c) in terms of survival, I think I was in high school when I saw that movie Alive about the people who crashed in the Andes (I think?) and had to eat each other, d) INTO THE WILD MADE ME ABSOLUTELY NUTS. My younger son LOVED that book, so did my husband, and I was so frustrated with everything they told me about it, I could scream forever.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. 1. While the author did center Sarah's story, there was a lot of men posturing, so I'm not sure you'd love this.
      2) INTO THE WILD MAKES ME SO MAD. I am mad that McCandless was so irresponsible, I'm mad that his mental illness was not treated or taken seriously, and I'm mad that so many resources were wasted. We are kindred spirits on this.

      Delete
    2. I do not think Jon Krakauer is that good of a writer. There. I said it. That book was not good. I know, I know, it was a bestseller but I stand by my opinion!

      Delete
    3. Bring all your hot takes here! I love it!

      Delete
  2. This sounds very interesting. I agree, I can't imagine how in the world the early settlers survived; where to go, what to eat, who to trust? WE are so very fortunate to have all the access before we depart our safe haven.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I just can't even fathom setting out into the wild without even a reliable map. These immigrants were definitely made of sterner stuff than me, that's for sure.

      Delete
  3. That may be the best TL;DR I have ever read and it truly told me everything I needed to know about the book! I think you make such a great point about how technology skews our understanding of situations like this and even how travel itself (and more so across distances) was such an incredibly different experience and life weight before we had / have so much accessible help and support.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's literally impossible for me to put myself in their shoes. Our lives are so far removed from the 1840s (I mean, pre-Civil War US is just a big question mark for me) that I can't imagine making a decision to move outside of an eastern city. But obviously there were a lot of brave souls who did decide to make that move and settle in the west.

      Delete
  4. I'm not sure if I would read this normally, but i can see how it would be riveting on a long car trip. It is fascinating to imagine what type of person would set off on a journey in a covered wagon like this (although as you pointed out- this woman probably had no say in the matter.) And yes, imagine how dirty and smelly they were- dirtier than any of us have ever been in our entire lives, probably. Hmm! The more I think about it, the more I do want to read this.
    <3 <3 <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was so weird to listen to the story as I was whizzing around on a modern interstate. Talk about mental whiplash!

      Delete
  5. I've read a couple of books and long articles about the Donner Party, and they're vastly interesting. And infuriating. I can relate to all of your feelings in this review; I had the same ones. So much sympathy, yet so angry at the egotistical men who got them into it all.

    Like you, I have no innate sense of direction. AT ALL. Indoors or out. I hate that it makes me, a very intelligent person, feel so stupid. And I especially hate when someone gives directions that say things like "go east on such and such a road," as if I would have a clue as to which way that is AT ANY POINT IN TIME. What are we, Cherokee or 16th century pioneers? Sigh.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've definitely gotten turned around in large buildings before. I have no idea what direction I am at any time. I'm just like you and as soon as someone starts saying "going west on Main" I immediately tune out because that means nothing to me.

      Delete
  6. Sold! I don't know a lot about the Donners, and this sounds hella interesting.

    I thought about the "would I eat that?" question when I listened to the audio book of Alive by Piers Paul Read a few years ago. It's the true story of a plane crash where the only food option for the survivors was the victims of the crash, and the book went into detail about the struggles that the survivors went through. For some the survival instinct kicked in right away, others really struggled. Given that I can barely eat chicken on most nights, where would I fall on this scale if I had to make the choice? I think I would chose survival, but I also think that I would struggle to get there.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think I'm just like you. I'm squicked out by cleaning chicken and I CANNOT imagine butchering a dog or a human to eat it. But people will do a lot to survive - it's our number one biological imperative. I hope I never have to find out!

      Delete
  7. This book looks FASCINATING. And also horrific. This would make a crazy documentary (though I'm sure there is limited photographic evidence, just diaries and such. I'm going to order this from my library!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was really interesting and the author really did make complex topics so interesting. It's (obviously) pretty dark, though, so be aware of that before diving in.

      Delete
  8. I read this last year and thought it was so well-written and structured. Yep, I would totally eat my pet and other already-dead people.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. YES! It is well-structured. This author did a nice job of making sure it wasn't too confusing with so many people. And, yeah, I'd probably eat my pet. But I'd be really sad about it. (Although, would I? I feel like if I were literally starving, my emotional state would be unstable.)

      Delete
  9. I think I would enjoy this. I have heard a lot about the Donner party over the years, being from the are as I am, but I always like getting a new perspective. We always joke in our running group that we would kill and eat the fattest one of us first, which you probably may guess, is not really that much meat. We have a friend called Tower who is 6'5" and has a bit more meat and we all agreed that he will be the first to go.

    I can't remember if you have said that you read Heart of the Sea, but in that one, they actually have to draw straws to see who will sacrifice themselves to the rest of the group!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. In the Heart of the Sea is SUCH A GOOD BOOK. Maybe even better than this one? I loved it so much. Can you even imagine? At least in this book they had fresh water! (Although starvation is starvation, in the mountains or the ocean, I guess.) https://ngradstudent.blogspot.com/2018/07/in-heart-of-sea-tragedy-of-whaleship.html

      Delete
    2. I really liked the Heart of the Sea too. Plus my grandma is from Lakeville, which is like the next town over from New Bedford and she used to take me to the whaling museum when I was a kid (and then to ice cream, so I guess I could have fond memories of the museum due to that), and I always thought that the whaleships were fascinating.

      Delete
    3. Oh, I would LOVE to go to the whaling museum. I'm so jealous of little Kyria! Ice cream AND a cool museum.

      Delete
  10. I love the dark humor! When I was an intern and we saw a lot of amputation patients, we would talk about what amputation we would pick if we had to. Obviously, the answer is one BKA (below-the-knee) since the prosthesis/rehab options are the best. The entire intern class also played a month-long game of Assassins and, no, none of our bosses knew about it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, ha. I bet your bosses knew. I bet it happened with every round of interns!

      Ugh. Can I amputate a finger or something? That seems better than an entire limb!

      Delete
  11. Ugh, I think I've learned too much about the Donner Party over the years, so I don't think I could read this. It's all too tragic and horrible to imagine. The people leaving despite warnings, too late in the year, is annoying as hell to me. UGH. I do like the title, though!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This party did make every mistake that could possibly be made. I am obviously not adventurous to do this in perfect conditions, let alone starting later than was recommended! Somehow they were simultaneously really smart people and really dumb.

      Delete
  12. I loved The Boys in the Boat. I'm excited to learn that the author has written something else. This book sounds very good. Really smart and really dumb at the same time - welp, it happens.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We're all both really smart and really dumb about things sometimes! Relatable.

      Delete