Friday, January 12, 2024

The Wager by David Grann

Cool Bloggers Book Club reminder: If you want to vote for the book we're going to read next month, please vote! You can vote in the comments section of Monday's post or send me an email via the form on the sidebar.  The voting is tight so EVERY VOTE COUNTS. 

****************

I feel like someone in Bloglandia (was it you?) said that they were going to buy their dad a copy of The Wager: A Tale of Shipwreck, Mutiny and Murder by David Grann for Christmas and I immediately put a hold on it at the library because if there's one thing I like, it's a tale of a shipwreck. (Not related to books, but my mom and I spent an awesome couple of days at a shipwreck museum in Alpena, Michigan several years ago and those two posts are GOLD in NGS-bingo - postcards, nature walks, and a scavenger hunt.) 

Minor quibble: Why no Oxford comma in your subtitle, David Grann?

I read Killers of the Flower Moon by this same author in 2022 and I found it important, but sort of boring and hard to follow, so I was nervous that somehow Grann would mess this up, but how could he mess up a dramatic shipwreck narrative?

Friends, he did NOT mess this up. In the prologue to the book (within the first two pages), Grann tells us that in 1740, during a conflict with Spain, His Majesty's Ship the Wager, a British man-of-war, was believed to have been engulfed by a hurricane and all of its 250 souls on board were lost at sea. But 283 days after the ship had last been seen, eighty-one survivors showed up in Brazil. Six months after that, three additional survivors showed up off the coast of Chile. After those three men recovered, they traveled to England and leveled charges at the first group of eighty-one survivors - that they were mutineers who were guilty of treason.

And this book tells that story! And boy was it a tale. We've got a captain who was running away from family squabbles and debts who believed strongly in a hierarchical structure and rigid adherence to rules and regulations, even when stranded on an unforgiving island. We've got a gunner who is well-respected by the crew and keeps a detailed journal. We've got a young teen midshipman who will (spoiler alert) grow up to become the grandfather to the poet Lord Byron. There are shipwrecks! There's treachery! There's mutiny! There are photographs! There are so many men who don't know how to swim! 

I loved this book. If you want to do yourself a big favor, read In the Heart of the Sea, too, to complete your reading of best shipwreck tales to be put to paper. (Sorry, Moby Dick. I've never read Moby Dick.)

5/5 stars, with just that one note about the Oxford comma in the subtitle

Line of note:

And he [Bulkeley] mentioned one other thing: that Captain Cheap had, "at his own request, tarried behind." (page 198) 

I literally GASPED when I read this. Bulkeley (spoiler alert) was the mastermind behind the mutiny and literally TIED CHEAP up so that he couldn't stop them from leaving. When Bulkeley got to England, he straight up LIED.  

Things I looked up:

Royal George (page 16) - This ship sank while anchored at port in 1782, killing over 800 people. At port! CRAZY. 

Why Greenwich, England? (page 64) - If you read anything about maritime history, you'll quickly learn that latitude (those lines that indicate how far north or south you are) has been figured out for a long time because you can use the stars. However, figuring out the east-west position has not been easy because it relies on being able to keep reliable time and that was hard to do without modern technology because rolling waves would mess with timekeepers that relied on things like pendulums (and gears and the like which still "lose time" to this day).  Anyway, since sailors in the 1700s didn't have modern technology, they relied on a "dead reckoning" - a process using a sandglass to approximate time, and a knotted line dropped in the sea to approximate the ship's speed. (page 65) As you might imagine, this was not particularly accurate.

In modern days, the prime meridian, zero degrees longitude, runs through Greenwich, England. Grann didn't address why, simply adding it as a parenthetical. The answer is actually pretty straightforward. There's a big astronomical observatory there and it's been there since 1675 (as an American, this seems unbelievable!). When there was a an International Meridian Conference in 1884 (ha ha! doesn't that sound like a good time?), Greenwich was selected as prime meridian because of the observatory and because three-quarters of sea charts that were used in shipping commerce were already using Greenwich as prime meridian. The sun never sleeps slept on the British Empire. 

During the shipwreck, "the once orderly crew had devolved into chaos. Most of the men couldn't swim and were engaged in a grim calculus: jump amid the breakers and attempt to make it to shore, or linger as the ship disintegrated." (page 100, bold added by me) 

I went down quite the rabbit hole on this one. Apparently a lot of sailors couldn't swim because of quite a few reasons. First, it was thought that if you fell off the ship, you were as good as dead, so why bother learning? Second, many people in the British navy were press-ganged and never had the opportunity to learn to swim AND the navy liked it that way because that meant these forced-to-be sailors couldn't swim to escape. Also, in many places, there's no place to practice swimming and/or there's no leisure time for such recreation. Even today, over half of Americans (including me!) cannot swim well enough to save themselves.  

I like to think that if I were a professional seafaring person, I would rectify this situation, but who am I to say?

thorn-tailed rayaditos (page 111) - common and noisy bird found in temperate forests of Argentina and Chile

It's so cute!


Kawésqar and their dogs (page 124) - The Kawésqar were an indigenous people who live in Chilean Patagonia. They used to be a nomadic seafaring people and were sometimes called canoe-people.  Their territory spanned hundred of miles along the coastline of Chile. Could you even imagine being entirely based on sea?! They made canoes that were eight to nine meters long and one meter wide. This canoe had enough room to transport a family and its prized dogs, which served as night guards, hunting companions, and heat-bearing pets. 

More evidence, if it was even needed, to point out that dogs are integral members of the family. Imagine that you give up room in your canoe home to a dog!! I mean, I would, but Hannah would inevitably overturn the canoe and kill us all. 

guanaco (page 193) - mammals related to camels found in South America (note: super cute)

Source

Hat mentions (why hats?):

So many hat mentions! I counted fifteen, but I was so engrossed in the narrative that it's possible I missed some. The most poignant:

As he departed, he lost his hat in a gust of wind. The seaman John Duck walked over to his old companion and generously gave him his own hat.
Byron was overcome by this flash of kindness. "John!" he exclaimed. "I thank you." But insisting he could not leave Duck without a hat, he returned it. (page 176)

25 comments:

  1. I just put this book on hold at my library.

    I love me a good Oxford comma, but it doesn't seem to be standard in Canada or the UK. Maybe the author is from one of those spots?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Grann is American. We're a divided nation about Oxford commas, though, so maybe he's anti. Although, sometimes I wonder how much say authors have in their titles.

      Delete
  2. I, too, love the Oxford comma! Props to you for being able to look past that and dive into what seems to be a really great book! I, too, struggled with Killers of the Flower Moon, but am planning on adding this one to my TBR.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I thought this was much more readable than Killers of the Flower Moon, but I love a good tale on the sea, so my interest might be showing.

      Delete
  3. Wow, 5 stars? It must be good. By the way, you can skip Moby Dick. I read it years ago and didn't like it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think I would like Moby Dick! I like when people go deep into details. Maybe I'll check it out sometime this year.

      Delete
  4. Replies
    1. I love a book about a shipwreck!

      Delete
  5. What a great book review, complete with pictures! I might have to check this one out! I'm having a serious comma crisis. Grammarly corrects me all the time. I put commas where I don't need them and leave them out when I do! I can't get by without Grammarly anymore! (See, I would have put a comma after "them" and Grammarlly said NO!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Commas are hard! I used to teach ACT prep and I just use those comma rules!

      Delete
  6. What was with the hats? I like hats of course, but it's amazing you picked up so many references to them. I like your book review with research. Nicely done.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am finding (because I'm keeping track of this statistic now) that if a book mentions hats, it usually is about 10-15 times. Isn't that crazy? But some books don't mention hats at all!

      Delete
  7. So I have quite a few comments for you today! (1) thank you for the reminder to vote. I have been under a rock and missed your Monday post and just went back and voted. Bildungsroman be damned; I voted for Anne. Although isn't that kind of a bildungsroman as well? Or are those years not "formative?"

    (2) I started The Wager (audio) a few months ago and just could not get into it. I think it was the end of the year and I was not in the mood for a heavy non-fiction. But it got such good reviews! I may have to try again, but for now I have it marked as a DNF. Also, I am not a fan of the Oxford comma so I think his title is fine. :)

    (3) I loved The Heart of the Sea, but am currently reading Mayflower by the same author and it is putting me to sleep a little. Maybe I am just not really in a non-fiction mood lately?

    (4) I learned about guanaco while in Chile, and they also have a cousin named vicuña (as well as llama and alpaca). Isn't that fun!?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for voting! I hope you're not too disappointed to learn that Anne lost.

      I think I would have found the audiobook of The Wager maddening, especially at the beginning when there's a million characters to learn.

      I've had to look up vicuña before in books, so I knew about them! But I'd never head about guanaco. They are so cute!

      Delete
  8. I put this book in my Amazon cart before Christmas, but I took it out. I wasn't sure if it would sustain me. I hated Mayflower. I hate Moby Dick (Melville's only good work is "Bartleby the Scrivener", and even that is so terribly turgid). And, believe it or not, the absence of the Oxford comma in the title irritated me. I can see where it could have been sacrificed for appearance's sake, but things like that activate my Inner Language Judge, and I get extremely snarky about them. BTW--Mayflower was a DNF for me, and I donated it to our town library's biannual book sale.

    PS--I cannot swim either, and I have a lakehouse and a boat.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. OMG, Nance! I thought I was the only person in the world who loves water but cannot swim! I was the cox for my college's boat racing team for two seasons--they picked me for my size and no one asked me IF I could swim. LOL

      Delete
  9. I definitely want to read this - any type of adventure book is for me! I also have a copy of The Heart of the Sea on my shelves. I think the absence of the comma is purely aesthetic - with the font it looks more balanced without, so I'm sure some designer just took it out! I'm excited to get to this book this year.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ugh. Punctuation isn't aesthetic! That's an upsetting theory about the lack of an Oxford comma. This book was pretty reminiscent of The Heart of the Sea to me. Sailing seems so dangerous!

      Delete
  10. Thanks for the review and pictures, Engie! I appreciate David Grann in theory but have never been able to get through the actual books.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha! People RAVED about Killers of the Flower Moon and I felt like it was interminable and confusing. Good to know I'm not alone!

      Delete
  11. Putting this on the list, for sure. My dad's book club might like it, too, so I will send him the info (but not your blog site, LOL). And also - I can't find a review of Longitude on your site. Have you ever read it???

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No, I'd never heard of Longitude! I just ordered it from the library!

      Delete
    2. WHOA. I heard of a book that you hadn't read? And I even read it, too! FYI, I wound up going with the audio because the hard-copy book wasn't doing it for me. YMMV, of course. :)

      Delete
  12. Ok, 5*. You got me interested. I love a good adventure logbook story. Never picked up a ship wreck one though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, man!! I LOVE a shipwreck book. Why? I have no idea. There are a lot of characters to learn in the beginning of this book, but once you get passed all that, it's so good!

      Delete