Wednesday, November 29, 2023

Kill Show by Daniel Sweren-Becker


I heard about Kill Show by Daniel Sweren-Becker on a podcast and I was intrigued by the premise, so I ordered it from the library and read the whole thing on the way to Iowa for Thanksgiving. I was absolutely riveted. 

First of all, this is a novel. It's a novel about true crime, but it's a novel, nonetheless. It references actual occurrences in the world, but it's not real!  I read a handful of Goodreads reviews that said this was shelved in non-fiction and I don't know how that would happen since novel is on the cover, but it is what it is, I suppose.

A girl goes missing in a Washington, D.C. suburb. A television producer flies in from California and starts a reality show following the girl's family around in the immediate aftermath of her disappearance. This book is the story of what happens in the investigation and the television show, told in the style of a documentary where each page is the dialogue of what people would be saying if you were watching that show. I thought this format was perfect. I also appreciated that the author put in parenthesis who the person was after their name each time they spoke. It made for less flipping back to the list of characters at the beginning of the book.

I thought it was smartly done. I know that I would probably watch a reality show that was following a crime in real time, even if I had some serious ethical considerations about doing so. I thought that the ripple effects of the television show that Sweren-Becker created felt true to what would happen. I thought the social commentary was spot-on.

I was also really invested in what happened to this girl. How could she literally just disappear so quickly? The internal story was mesmerizing.  

I have a few quibbles, but if this format would be appealing to you and you think about the social ramifications of true crime as a genre, I would highly recommend this one. 4.5/5 stars

This is just an example of how the book is formatted. (page 12)


Lines of note:
Casey is a wolf in wolf's clothing. (page 28)
I'd never heard this phrase before and I laughed really hard when I read it. My husband tells me it's a common phrase. Have you heard it before?

There's nothing like getting a teenager trapped in a car, it's the only place you can really bond with them. No eye contact, some music on the radio, a little boredom - your kids just crack wide open. (page 109)
I 100% always try to have difficult conversations in the car because of the no eye contact thing. 

Hat mentions:
None

9 comments:

  1. I'm unlikely to read true crime or follow a true crime podcast, but I liked the premise of this book. Reminds me a bit of that newish Rebecca Makkai.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I liked this one quite a bit more than I did the Rebecca Makkai one. The Makkai one was more literary fiction and this one felt a lot more like a straight pulpy mystery. It just depends on what you're looking for in your reading.

      Delete
  2. "A wolf in wolf's clothing" - no, I've never heard that phrase! This book does sound really good. And I like how it's a novel rather than non-fiction because I feel like it might have a more satisfying ending. A lot of true crime stories end unresolved.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I was quite satisfied with the ending of this one. And it's a short read, which made me feel like I was being super productive.

      Delete
  3. I've only heard "wolf in sheep's clothing." I just read this last week and also really liked it. I liked the oral history format - it made it such a fast read. It was kind of horrifying as a parent to think about having my child's disappearance turned into a reality tv show... and my husband would be the last person on earth to agree to this. He jokes that if he had a blog it would be "mindyourowndamnbusiness.com." He's so intensely private so it is interesting that I have a blog, but I try to only tell my story. Anyways, all that said, it was a really unique read!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I thought the format was perfect! It just read so quickly and was quite compelling, even as it made me question my entire interest in true crime. I really liked it.

      Delete
  4. I just put this on my TBR based on Lisa liking it - glad to hear it also worked for you! It sounds so fascinating!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was such a page turner for me. I just couldn't read it fast enough.

      Delete
  5. I am not much into the true crime things as I might not be able to sleep that well. But every once in a while I like to read these kind of stories. I will keep it in mind. Seems to be a good one.

    ReplyDelete