Monday, October 30, 2023

12.30 Depression - Another Trip to Michigan

Bestest Friend and I are doing a blog project. Every day we will write a blog post on a pre-determined theme chosen by a random noun generator. The theme for the thirtieth day of the month is "Depression."

***************

I went to Michigan to hang out with my high school friends Saturday night, but I had all day free on Saturday, so I took a page from Birchie's book and went on a tourist adventure by myself. I didn't have tons of time, but what I did was go back to the Fred Meijer Gardens and Sculpture Park. I was there last in July of last year, but I went with my mom and I was still a bit COVID shy, so I didn't enjoy the experience 100% as much as I might have. Also, going in the fall in a completely different experience!

I was not the only person in the park at opening, but it sort of felt like it. 

I got there right when the place opened. We had been having a bit of a second summer in the Midwest last week, but the temps really plummeted overnight on Friday night, so I woke up to chilly Saturday. I thought it might rain all day, so I was prepared with my raincoat, but it turned into a mostly lovely, crisp fall day. It was probably about a week past peak colors in western Michigan, but a week past peak is still quite lovely.

Le Loup Solitaire by Shelley Curtis (Bronze, 1990)

Anyway, I somehow got free admission when the credit card reader wouldn't work, so I decided I could resist my frugal nature and pay $6 for a 45-minute, docent-led tram ride. If you have time, I recommend the tram ride as a great introduction to the park. 

As an anecdote to the sadness of Spooky Season coming to a close, the five hours I spent a this park were really great. Be prepared for lots of photos from this in the coming weeks!

View of the Japanese gardens. What a gorgeous day. 

I'd love to visit in the winter, too. I bet it's gorgeous then. 

***************

Are you sad about the end of October or are you excited for the winter holiday months?

28 comments:

  1. This looks like my kinda day! The fall colors are gorgeous. yay for a free entry and yay for taking the tram ride!
    I'm not super excited about the upcoming holidays. Wait, well, I am for Thanksgiving and could we skip right to Valentines day?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, no! I don't want to skip over Christmas!! I don't think we're on the same page about this, my friend.

      Delete
  2. I love the Meijer Gardens and GR, in general--there's so much to do. I hope you had a lovely time with your MI friends, and I look forward to lots of luscious fall pics from you. I'm relieved October is ending--with two big birthdays and travel it was a lot, and I've completely missed out on Halloween this year! Also: Just four-five more weeks of terms left and I need that breather!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, the end of term is just around the corner and will be here before you know it!

      Delete
  3. Wow, the colours are really gorgeous!! I love that last photo! I'm not sad about the end of October, it's the start of Tiny Secret Festive Season!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What beautiful colours! Good luck with starting your new job!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was so pretty. I felt lucky to get to see it.

      Delete
  5. you are right that a week past prime can still be very very good. But we are well past that here, especially as I awoke to snow cover this morning.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Apparently we had flurries yesterday. I'm not ready for it.

      Delete
  6. This looks gorgeous.

    I am very sad October is over. I slump mentally and physically a lot over the winter with the cold. I love Christmas, but January - April is pretty rough. I Googled heated slippers yesterday as I just slowly battery power my way through the winter freeze.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think I can make it through until Christmas. And then things will probably go off the rails for me, too!

      Delete
  7. Oh, this looks so beautiful! To answer your question... I always get a little sad when Halloween is over, because that means one holiday is done. I love November and December (well, except for the last six days of that month) but I get REALLY sad when Christmas ends. I feel like October-December 25 are one long festive and happy season, and it comes to a sudden and horrible halt. January is just so blah and sad after all that. So- yes, a little sad October is over but excited for the next two months. Let's not think ahead any further than that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, January is coming. BUT! You'll be preparing for your race, so there's that to look forward to!

      Delete
  8. I love your pictures, Engie. So beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Whoa! It does look gorgeous there. I can't wait to see more pics. And the tram ride sounds fun.

    Hmm. I am not sad October is over, only because I am hoping for quieter months ahead, ha.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha at the idea of November or December being quiet! We must have quite different calendars.

      Delete
  10. This looks really beautiful and I agree it most be gorgous in winter. I am very much looking forward to winter. My favorite season.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, Tobia. Tell me your secrets about how to enjoy winter!

      Delete
  11. Oh my goodness, this looks gorgeous! Past peak my right eye.

    I cannot believe October is at an end. I feel like I WASTED the summer and the fall with all this moving nonsense and I want a do-over. I do NOT want it to be almost Christmas because I am not prepared in the least.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You still have lots of time to get prepared for Christmas!! Don't worry!

      Delete
  12. So gorgeous! The colors were just starting to turn when I was there last month. I learned enough in my hour there to know that it's more like a 5 hour kind of a place.

    Right now I'm in a good mood because we've had great weather for the last week or so and the fall colors are still beautiful. Once the time changes, the pretty colors go away, and the weather starts getting bad my mood will start going downhill for a bit.

    Happy first day of work BTW!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I spent about five hours there. If I had been with another person, I wonder if I would have been so leisurely.

      I am not looking forward to the time change, that is for sure!

      Delete
  13. Wow, what great colors! That Japanese garden is stunning! I do love a solo adventure myself, as I can just meander when I want to meander, scoot when I want to scoot and eat when I want to eat! It looks like you had a good time. PS I wish you the best in your new job adventures too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Solo adventures are A+! I should do more of them.

      Delete
  14. That last picture should be framed! So pretty!

    I am not too sad about the end of October. This time of year is when Florida is at its best weather-wise, so I'm looking forward to some cooler weather and all of the holidays! And I have a fun end-of-year vacation to look forward to as well!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I guess this is Florida's time to shine and absolutely NOT Wisconsin's.

      Delete