Thursday, July 14, 2022

Grand Rapids Trip Days #0.5 & #1

I took some of last week off work and met my mom in Grand Rapids, Michigan to hang out with her for a few days. On the night we arrived, we basically just met at the Air B&B, went to a grocery store to stock up on bottled water and breakfast items, ordered dinner for pickup, and figured out our itinerary for the rest of our trip. Our B&B was a refinished basement in someone's house and it was fine, although we never figured out how to change the temperature settings, so I was SO COLD the whole time we were there. They had dogs, though, and one of them was friendly, so it all worked out in the end.

Anyway, on Thursday we had a leisurely morning and eventually made our way over to the Frederik Meijer Gardens and Sculpture Park. I grew up in a small town about forty minutes north of Grand Rapids and have been to the Meijer Gardens before, for weddings and to wander about. But it's been many years since I've been there and it has been greatly expanded and is really a crown jewel of the area.

These wall sculptures line a room in the welcome center. The artist is Jaume Plensa and the piece is called "Utopia."

One of the major sculptures is a 24-foot high, 14 ton bronze horse based on a design by Leonard DaVinci. It's basically the only art you're allowed to touch at the gardens and its sheer size cannot be underestimated. I was actually quite nervous to go near it, let alone touch it, because I had all these catastrophic ideas of what would happen if it suddenly collapsed.  This is probably not a healthy thought, but there you have it. 
Nina Akamu, The American Horse

The beautiful thing about this place is that it's just well-maintained trail after well-maintained trail and every once in a while you'll just stumble upon a piece of art that makes you stop and think and wonder. I really loved the piece below because it's just so well-framed by the natural landscape around it.

Roxy Paine, Neuron

I found all the "do not touch the art" signs to be perplexing because there were always these perfectly trimmed paths leading directly to the sculptures and it was SO inviting to touch them. I resisted the urge, but had my mom take a picture of me not touching the art. Grand Rapids is known for a giant red sculpture by Alexander Calder in their downtown square. It's so ubiquitous in the city that an image of this sculpture is on the city's logo that's on every government building, street sign, and police car. So when approached this red sculpture, I assumed it was a Calder. It is not. 
Alexander Lieberman, Aria


In case you can't tell, I thought this was an excellent time. There's actually a tram tour which I regret not taking, but I'm still not super comfortable being around a lot of people, so I was trying to avoid public transit when I could. I think both my mom and I would have enjoyed that tram tour.

The ubiquitous logo that's found on everything in the city.


A note about food here: I am still not comfortable eating in restaurants. I still mask when indoors and we spent most of the time on this trip getting takeout and either eating outside at a park or taking it back to the Air B&B. Since we didn't have many what I would consider amazing dining experiences, I'm going to skip over the food for the most part. 

Later that evening, we went to the Grand Rapids Escape Room. We chose this because all the other escape rooms required three or more people. We did the "Judgment" room and we were absolutely horrible at it. LOL. I think it would be nice to do it in a larger group.  

And then we went back to the Air B&B because my mom was about to drop.  

14 comments:

  1. That looks really lovely - also, love that dress! This made me smile: "They had dogs, though, and one of them was friendly, so it all worked out in the end."
    I'm so glad you were able to spend time with your mom! I know that was a goal for you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's weird that visiting my mom (a fun thing!) has to be a goal, but because it involves planning and traveling, that's what it's become. It was so great to see her!

      Delete
  2. Fun! Those sculptures are huge!
    I find it so frustrating when you can't touch things like this. I understand, but especially when going places with kids it's just such a nuisance and impacts their experience. We went to a museum a few months ago locally that didn't have any signs about not touching exhibits (it was a maritime museum, so things like boats and related paraphernalia - it wasn't fine artwork!) but I asked a worker and she said: "Oh. We encourage kids to touch the exhibits!" and it made me so happy! The kids really got to explore in a richer way.
    I'm so glad you got away with your Mom <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The sculptures are so big! I can't imagine the logistics in making/transporting them. There is a children's garden section of Meijer Gardens. My mom and I skipped it because we didn't have kids with us, but there are lots of hands-on activities there and art the kids can interact with, but if you wanted to see the whole park, I think it would be kind of hard with kids.

      Delete
  3. The park looks amazing. I've only been to Grand Rapids once for work, but I've heard that it's a fun place to visit. Enjoy your vacation!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think of GR as a small city. There are a handful of amazing things there and it's a short drive to the beach of lake Michigan, so if you're not ready to do a big city, I think it's a wonderful place to visit.

      Delete
  4. A friend I met through blogging years ago lives in Michigan and she gifted us "Goodnight Michigan." Paul loves reading it! And The Frederick Meijer Garden and Sculpture Garden is mentioned in the book. I have never been to Michigan but it seems like there are some really charming areas. That sculpture park sounds awesome but it's a bummer that you can't touch much. I'm envisioning trying to keep my children from touching things... it would be so hard. You probably saw the sculpture garden in Minneapolis when you lived here? It was redone a couple of years ago and we haven't been back since the remodel so I should take the boys there sometime. I think you can touch pretty much everything at the Minneapolis Sculpture Garden. It seems like anything outdoors should be something you can touch. If it's hardy enough to withstand the crazy weather we get in the upper midwest, it should do ok w/ people touching it??

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, my mom and I puzzled a lot over the no touching. Maybe it's because the oils from our hands are actually more destructive than weather? I really don't know. Like I said above, there is a children's garden at the park that has more interactive stations and art kids can touch, but I do think it would be challenging to keep kids from touching things. I am quite familiar with the Sculpture Garden at the Walker and I think you're right that you can touch most of those exhibits. It's definitely a different vibe.

      Delete
  5. Even though I grew up in the midwest, I've never been to Grand Rapids. I would LOVE that sculpture park! Although yes, I would have the overwhelming urge to touch everything. Okay, i'm heading over to read the next post about part 2.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Those sculptures look amazing! I love the photo of you near one of them! :)

    I had no idea you could do an escape room with just two people! I've always done them with 4 or more people. I think if my mom and I were to do one together, we would fail MISERABLY, haha.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would not recommend an escape room with two people - we did really terribly! Ha! I think it should be a larger group.

      Delete
  7. I was looking at some back posts and found these about your visit to Grand Rapids. It looks like a great place to visit, and I see that sculpture you mentioned in my comment. It looks giangantic!

    ReplyDelete
  8. How wonderful that you went on a trip with your Mom. The park and the sculptures look really cool... but yeah, I definitely would have wanted to touch that horse statue! :P

    ReplyDelete
  9. I have wanted to go to Grand Rapids for EVER (since my parents saw the Meijer Gardens) and this just makes me want to go more! It's only 5 hours from me but a) I would need to go when the ferry is running, and b) I'd have to go for more than a few days. Hm. The do not touch thing is so... weird. I just saw a sculpture exhibit by an artist who is blind, and you were encouraged to touch the sculptures, since that is how he perceives the world. It was so. darn. cool. Also? I'm just glad that you got time with your mom. So much good in that. :)

    ReplyDelete