Thursday, October 19, 2023

12.19 Library - October 2023 Loans and Holds

Bestest Friend and I are doing a blog project. Every day we will write a blog post on a pre-determined theme chosen by a random noun generator. The theme for the nineteenth day of the month is "Library." I've decided I'm going to just tell you what are on my library book shelves each month.

*****************


Physical books checked out:
The One by John Marrs (book club book)
Apprentice to the Flower Poet Z by Debra Weinstein
Days at the Morisaki Bookshop by Satoshi Yagisawa
Idlewild by James Frankie Thomas
Ask the Passengers by A.S. King
Sheets (Sheets #1) by Brenna Thummler
How To Be a Woman by Caitlin Moran
Thornhedge by T. Kingfisher
Fourth Wing (The Empyrean #1) by Rebecca Yarros

Ebooks checked out:
Breasts and Eggs by Mieko Kawakami 
Index, A History of the: A Bookish Adventure from Medieval Manuscripts to the Digital Age by Dennis Duncan
When in Rome (When In Rome #1) by Sarah Adams

Physical books on hold:
The Running Grave (Cormoran Strike #7) by Robert Galbraith

Ebooks on hold:
Maybe in Another Life by Taylor Jenkins Reid
None of this is True by Lisa Jewell

Audiobooks on hold:
A Swim in a Pond in the Rain by George Saunders
The Deep by Rivers Solomon
The People We Keep by Allison Larkin
Lost in the Moment and Found (Wayward Children #8) by Seanan McGuire
*****************
What's on your library list? 

14 comments:

  1. I never have ANY idea what is on my holds shelf. I get ideas, order books, and then it's like complete and utter surprise when books come in which is, for the most part, quite fun!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha! But you put them on your holds shelf! You must have some idea, right? Or do you forget about it as soon as you do it?

      Delete
  2. The Running Grave is so, so, so good! I can't wait till you read it. I'm nearing the end and then I don't know what I'm going to do. I have no idea what's on my library hold list, but this is going to be a very hard act to follow.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm getting closer and closer to The Running Grave. I'm excited because I feel like I've been in a bit of a book rut.

      Delete
  3. My next read is going to be A Court of Thorn and Roses - yes finally. I've been meaning to read it for years and finally got into putting a hold on it and having it come in.

    In the meantime I'm reading The Violin Conspiracy and wowza is it good.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was really was squicked out by ACOTAR. Interspecies romance is clearly not my jam. I hope you like it, though! So many people love it.

      Delete
  4. Yay for The Running Grave! I feel like this is my constant refrain, but while I feel uncomfortable with JK Rowling, I do admit that she can really write a book. The Running Grave is my favorite in the series so far! Looking forward to your thoughts.

    I am listening to Hello Stranger by Katherine Center and I am really enjoying it even though I am 100% certain I know the twist that the main character somehow has yet to figure out. Also, there are way too many coincidences in this book. But that's okay, coincidences make the romance novel go round, right? Not sure what I will read next though. Maybe The Incendiaries?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have so many mixed feelings about JKR, but she really can write books that I find compelling. *sigh* I'm excited because everyone who has read The Running Grave loves it!

      Delete
  5. I read How to Be a Woman years ago - I remember liking it!

    Current physical books checked out: Anti-Diet by Christy Harrison, If We're Being Honest by Cat Shook, The Lesbiana's Guide to Catholic School by Sonora Reyes, and When We Were Mermaids by Barbara O'Neal.

    Digital books checked out: The Fiancee Farce by Alexandria Bellefleur (e-book) and The Celebrants by Steven Rowley (audiobook)

    Digital books on hold: The Art of Scandal by Regina Black (audiobook), On the Way to the Wedding by Julia Quinn (e-book), and When in Rome by Sarah Adams (audiobook).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, Stephany, I was so disappointed in When in Rome. I loved The Cheat Sheet so much, but WIR fell flat for me. So presumably that means you're going to love it.

      Delete
  6. I will be curious to see what you think of The One. I abandoned it early on but so many of my friends LOVED it. I just finished "Talking at Night" which I loved. It's debut literary fiction. If you need likeable characters, this is not the book to read, though...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I thought The One was okay, for the most part. It was not our most well-received book club book, but it was far from the worst.

      Delete
  7. I liked Maybe in Another Life and The People We Keep, both were good reads. I'm currently listening to 'The Covenant of Water', and it's good, but REALLY LONG.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Really long can be good if it's immersive and you really love being in the world. But it can also feel like a real slog.

      Delete