Tuesday, October 10, 2023

12.10 Judgment - The Blind Assassin by Margaret Atwood

Bestest Friend and I are doing a blog project. Each day we will write a blog post on a pre-determined theme chosen by a random noun generator. The theme for the tenth day of the month is "Judgment." I have personally decided that I will pass judgment on a book on the tenth day of each month.

****************

Sometimes I think about other people's careers and I really wonder what I'm doing with my life. Margaret Atwood started publishing books in the late 1960s and her most recent novel came out last year. That's a career spanning more than fifty years. Meanwhile, I have a dog and a cat. Anyway, I read The Blind Assassin by Margaret Atwood, which was published in 2000, so this is mid-career Atwood, even though that was more than twenty years ago. 


In this book we follow Iris Chase as she lives her life, at first as a schoolgirl from a pampered family, later as a trophy wife to a failing industrialist. Meanwhile, there are layers revealed about her family's history and a story within a story about two unnamed lovers who meet in seedy locations while the man tells the woman a science fiction story about a blind assassin. (That's right. A story within a story within a story. It's all meta and The Wind Through the Keyhole up in here.)

I struggled through the first two hundred pages, thought the middle third of the book was an absolute blast, and then struggled again with the last third of the book. I thought the themes about the powerlessness of women and the role money plays in controlling behavior was strong. I also found myself thinking about the loyalty between women (Iris and her sister, the sisters' caretaker, and later on Iris and Myra) and wondering what exactly Atwood was trying to say by all this.

And in the end, that's my criticism of this book. I don't know what it's trying to tell me. I think maybe it's because I'm not a smart enough reader to get the message, but all I got from this was that bad things happen to women and there's nothing any other woman can do to stop it and that felt...sad?  

It's beautiful, poetic writing as expected from Atwood. I guess I am just a reader who needs a little bit more guidance. 3/5 stars

Lines of note:

Farewells can be shattering, but returns are surely worse. Solid flesh can never live up to the bright shadow cast by its absence. Time and distance blue the edges; then suddenly the beloved has arrived, and it's moon with its merciless light, and every spot and pore and wrinkle and bristle stands clear. (page 76)

I thought this was so true. Sometimes you can get overly romantic about what someone who is far away is like. There's a reason long-distance relationships sometimes are challenging when the distance goes away.

Romance takes place in the middle distance. Romance is looking in at yourself, through a window clouded with dew. Romance means leaving things out: where life grunts and snuffles, romance only sighs. Does she want more than that - more of him? Does she want the whole picture? (page 262)

I like this paired with the above quotation. It seems to be on the same theme. 

I have to say she looked like a suet pudding, but then most babies do. (page 388)

Preach it, Atwood. Babies look like little weird aliens and then suddenly they start to look like how they will look when they're just out of their toddler years.

Things I looked up:

otiose (page 54) - serving no practical purpose or results 

brickbat (page 113) - a remark or comment that is highly critical and typically insulting

Orange Order (page 149) - Fraternal organization found in Canada and other countries, organizing many community and other benevolent activities

I.O.D.E. (page 149) - Canadian national women's charitable association (Imperial Order Daughters of the Empire)

porphyry (page 227) - any of various decorative granites or igneous rocks with coarse-grained crystals such as feldspar or quartz

marcelled (page 302) - a hairstyle characterized by repeated regular waves, popular in the 1920s

Hat mentions:

A staggering 59 hat mentions in this book! That's an average of a hat every nine pages. Hats with veils, light-coloured hats, straw hats, sun hats, hats and gloves, tilt of a hat, battered hats, wool hats. There were even TWO chapter titles with the word hat ("The eggshell hat" and "The Blind Assassin: The Top Hat Grill"). 

My favorite?

Her hat was the same shade - a round swirl of green fabric, balanced on her head like a poisonous cake. (page 230)

The green hat reminded me of all the green hats Katie had in ATGIB and I liked how this description made it very clear what the narrator thought of the person wearing the hat. 

17 comments:

  1. I read this book ages ago, and not a whit stayed with me. I know many people who are major Atwood devotees, but this book, even with its sumptuous descriptions and lovely writing, just left me...empty. It's unusual for a book to make no impression on me. Makes me wonder if that was its intention since Atwood is so prolific and skilled.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think the impression it left on me was absolute hopelessness. LOL. Maybe that was what she was going for?

      Delete
  2. Isn't it so strange where we learn words? I just remembered that I know "Marcelled" from the Annie Lennox song "Keep Young and Beautiful." ("When you're seen anywhere with your hat off
    Wear a Marcel wave in your hair...")

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, that is interesting. I don't know if I've ever heard the term before and if I did, I didn't take note of it. I'll have to pull up that Annie Lennox song.

      Delete
  3. I haven't read any Margaret Atwood in a very long time, and I never read this one. I don't know... it sounds interesting, but there are so many other books to read and so little time.
    On the subject of books, I can't remember if I ever told you my idea for the next book club- My Brilliant Friend, which you mentioned as being one of your favorite books (did I already tell you this??? It's one of those things were I can't remember if I just thought it or said it out loud.) I've never read it and I'll bet a lot of others haven't either.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. YES! You did talk about My Brilliant Friend. It is definitely in my top three picks for next book club. I'm undecided if I should just pick a book or if I should put it up for a vote. Hm. Why are things so hard?

      Delete
  4. I haven't read a single Margaret Atwood book. I feel like someone should swoop in and take away my Canadian citizenship for this fact, but they never appealed to me. But it does feel like a rite of passage for a Canadian reader!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oooohhhh...they're going to take away your citizenship for sure! Atwood's writing is so great, but I guess with a career as long as hers, not all the books will be hits for all the readers. You should probably at least read Handmaid's Tale, but I bet you've heard that before!

      Delete
  5. I'm so sorry you didn't care for this book! It's my number one favourite. I've always loved Margaret Atwood and she does have a really incredible career with so much variety in her writing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I definitely read it because it's a favorite of yours and that's why I didn't give up with the sort of slow beginning. But the middle section really moved and I could see why someone would love it so much!

      Delete
  6. I tried to read this a while back but DNF'd pretty quickly because of the story within a story within a story...when you get lost 5% of the way in it's pretty safe to say that you'll never catch up. This summer I finally read The Handmaid's Tale and it was nothing like Assassin - very short, very straightforward, and every word on the page had a purpose. I do want to check out more Atwood though.

    Is this a record for hat mentions in a book? Bonus points for the green hat!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hmmm...I don't know if it's a hat record. I should probably keep track of that stat in my reading spreadsheet. Maybe next year I'll add that as a column. LOL.

      Delete
  7. I'm hit and miss with Atwood, sometimes I love her stuff, sometimes I don't. I remember liking this book, but it's been a long time, so I don't remember more than that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, it makes sense to me that with such a long career her books will wax and wane for each reader. This one wasn't perfect for me, but there are a lot of other Atwood books out there.

      Delete
  8. I have this book in hand, but haven't started it yet. Now I'm nervous that I won't like it. :(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think if you go in with the right expectations, it will be good. The writing is beautiful.

      Delete
  9. Well, if you have it on your shelf, I'd at least give it a shot and start it! If you don't like it, you can always stop.

    ReplyDelete