Saturday, August 19, 2023

10.19 Library - August 2023 Loans and Holds

Bestest Friend and I are doing a blog project. Every day we will write a blog post on a pre-determined theme chosen by a random noun generator. The theme for the nineteenth day of the month is "Library." I've decided I'm going to just tell you what are on my library book shelves each month.

*****************

Physical books checked out:

The Age of Miracles by Karen Thompson Walker

Mrs. Lincoln's Dressmaker by Jennifer Chiaverini - Book club pick for the month

Trust by Hernan Diaz - This was in the discussion for book club pick and I ordered it while we were talking. I doubt I'll end up reading it, but maybe?

The Fountain Overflows by Rebecca West - Hm. Did someone say this was their favorite book? Why do I have it?

The Invisible Kingdom: Reimagining Chronic Illness by Meghan O'Rourke - Recommendation from Lisa

The Blind Assassin by Margaret Atwood - Recommendation from Nicole

The Mimicking of Known Successes by Malka Older - Recommendation from CCR

Ebooks checked out:

The Yellow Wallpaper by Charlotte Perkins Gilman - I got this through Libby, but it's not in Kindle form. I want to read it, but I don't read on my phone, so I doubt I'll get to this version of the book before it's due. 

Clockwork Boys (Clocktaur War #1) by T. Kingfisher

The Angel of Crows by Katherine Addison

Audiobook checked out:

God Spare the Girls by Kelsey McKinney 

Spanish books checked out:

SoƱadores by Yiyi Morales

Super Cerdo (Bitmax #2) by Jaume Copons


Physical books on hold:

The Girl of the Limberlost by Gene Stratton-Porter - Recommendation from Anne

Burn It Down: Power, Complicity, and a Call for Change in Hollywood by Maureen Ryan

Dear Miss Metropolitan by Carolyn Ferrell

Black Sun Rising (The Coldfire Trilogy #1) by C.S. Friedman - The eternal hold. It's been on hold since December 2022. I don't think I'm going to get it from the this library.

To Dye For: How Toxic Fashion is Making Us Sick - And How We Can Fight Back by Alden Wicker

The People We Keep by Allison Larkin

Ebooks on hold:

Lost in the Moment and Found (Wayward Children #8) by Seanan McGuire

When in Rome (When in Rome #1) by Sarah Adams

The Lacuna by Barbara Kingsolver

Archer's Voice by Mia Sheridan

Maybe in Another Life by Taylor Jenkins Reid

The Last Train to Key West by Chanel Cleeton

Audiobooks on hold:

A Swim in a Pond in the Rain by George Saunders

*****************

What's the last 5/5 star book you've read?


20 comments:

  1. 5/5 star book: LESS by Andrew Sean Greer. It is a Pulitzer Prize winner that is quietly hilarious. Oh my...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow! I've never heard of this book, but when I looked it up I saw that two of my GR friends also adored it. Adding it to my TBR.

      Delete
  2. Hmmm. Well, I would give the Ender Saga 5/5, but now that I've finished I don't feel the same way I felt after reading Harry Potter (where all other books in the world were mediocre and my reading life no longer had meaning.) I've moved on! I also have The Mimicking of Known Successes out of the library and I'm going to read it soon. We can compare notes! It sounds really good.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I just started The Mimicking of Known Successes and so far, so good!

      Delete
  3. What a great question! I haven't been reading ANYTHING this summer (other than ATGIB, of course) <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, hopefully ATGIB keeps its five-star rating for me. So far it is maintaining!

      Delete
  4. The Blind Assassin is one of my favorite Atwood books! I found it easier to get into than a lot of other of her books.
    Recently, I really enjoyed Killers of a Certain Age by Deanna Raybourn - not sure if it was quite 5/5, but it was a very entertaining read about a group of 60 year old female assassins.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, that sounds perfect! I added this one to my TBR, too. You give me so many book ideas! I'm desperate to get to Index, but we'll see when I can fit it in!

      Delete
  5. Oh, I wonder if you'll like The Blind Assassin! I love it so much. The last 5 star book was just this week, Bel Canto. Before that it was You Think It I'll Say It.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Margaret Atwood is usually a hit with me, so I'm sure I'll love it.

      Bel Canto was such a weird book. I ended up being invested in it so much, but I could never figure out why!

      Delete
  6. O wow! I haven't reread or thought about The Girl of the Limberlost in decades! I loved it as a teen... I have such commitment anxiety about picking a favorite anything, so I'll pass on your question though :).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anne was saying how much she loved it when she was a young reader, too. I'd never heard of it before! Can't wait to read it!

      Delete
  7. Well, of course you know that I loved The Mimicking of Known Successes! (And, I got to read the sequel, which comes out in February, and liked it just as much! I'll blog about that soon.) I would also give 5 starts to another novella I just read, Thornhedge, by T Kingfisher.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm reading TMOKS right now and a different Kingfisher on my Kindle! We're book twins right now!

      Delete
  8. This reminds me that I need to read Blind Assassin, too. Nicole is kind of my book twin so I think I should like it.

    I read on my phone sometimes but I HATE reading in the libby ap. I don't like the interface nearly as much as the kindle interface - namely it doesn't tell you how many minutes are left in the chapter. So if the book isn't available on kindle, I won't read it!

    At the party yesterday, someone asked me what my 5 star reads for the year were and I completely blanked. I could only think of Hello, Beautiful. Without goodreads, I recall what I've read. But per goodreads, my last 5-star read was "Good for a Girl".

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I feel like I can't change the settings in the Libby app, so I'm always reading white print on a black background and it's just terrible! Also, my phone is so small that I feel like I'm constantly turning pages. Reading via Libby is a no-go for me, too.

      I should bone up on my book recs before we go to my husband's family reunion over Labor Day so I don't feel put on the spot when people ask me what I've been reading. I think I'll mostly talk about ATGIB.

      Delete
  9. The last 5-star book for me was Falling by TJ Newman. Such an insane thriller. I loved it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've heard good things about it. Adding it to my TBR!

      Delete
  10. Oh, man, now I'm super-nervous that you'll hate Girl of the Limberlost. Yeeks.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm sure I'll love it. I enjoyed Ballet Shoes so much!

      Delete