Wednesday, July 12, 2023

No Two Persons by Erica Bauermeister

I didn't write down who recommended No Two Persons by Erica Bauermeister to me. I looked it up on a lot of my bloggy friends who write about books, but I can't find it. Regardless of whoever recommended it, I really appreciate it!


In this (novel? series of short stories? hm) book, the first thing you read in the front matter is the following quote:

No two persons ever read the same book, or saw the same picture. 
The Writings of Madame Swetchine, 1860

One of my absolute favorite parts of writing about books on my blog is hearing about how other people interpret the books I read. Sure, I may not have liked Hamnet, but lots of people do and I love to hear about how it relates to them and their lives. It is truly magical how we do not all get the same things out of the same words. 

(If you want to join in on our A Tree Grows in Brooklyn read to see how we all read the same words and react to them differently, please do so!) 

In No Two Persons, we start by meeting Alice, she of a troubled family background who writes a book called Theo while Professor Roberts mentors her. Each chapter after the first follows a person who interacts with the novel she has written. That's the plot. But this book is really about the importance of books and the bonds great literature can make. 

My interest in this book waxed and waned depending on the character's viewpoint we were in, but the first chapter is maybe the best first chapter of a book I've read since Assassin's Apprentice. I found myself jotting down almost every sentence as a line of note. Perfection. And then in the sixth chapter I cried and cried and that alone made me think that everyone who is a writer or a reader could use this book in their life. 

4.5/5 stars

Lines of note: 

But you could learn so much more, keeping your gaze down. Just as well for Alice, who had never liked meeting people's eyes. It always felt like looking into a jam-packed closet - or opening the door to your own. (page 6)

Bauermeister's observational skills are very sharp. 

When Alice had learned how to read, she'd discovered her own world, far from their house and their Oregon town. Her bother called it hiding, but as he'd read the entire Lord of the Rings trilogy three times by that point, he was hardly one to talk. (page 6)

This felt like a direct jab to me. Okay, okay, world. I will read the stupid books. Or at least try to.

"I want you to go to a coffee shop," he said in one class. "Close your eyes and listen. Write down what the people around you are feeling. Not saying. Not thinking. Feeling. Ask yourself: How do you know that? Is it a dip in a sentence? A scrape of a chair? The snap of a plastic lid onto a cup? Use the details to take us inside." (page 14-15)

One of the best things about the first chapter was Alice's relationship with her mentor. He was such a good teacher. This is such a clever writing exercise. 

...there are things you can't see until you are ready to look. (page 28)

This is the phenomena of listening to a song from your childhood and realizing that it's about something entirely more adult than you thought when you were young!

"I think each story has its own life. In the beginning, it lives in the writer's mind, and it grows and changes while it's there. Changes the writer, too, I'd bet. "He smiled at her, then continued. "At some point it's written down, and that's the book readers hold in their hands. But the story isn't done, because it goes on to live in the readers' minds, in a way that's particular to each of them. We're all caretakers of the stories, Alice. Writers are just the lucky ones that get to know them first." (page 30-31)

What do you think, writer friends? Is your writing yours? Obviously, if you publish your work you want people to read it, but does their interpretation mean anything at all to you?

Kit's mother steadfastly refused to start by asking any guest about their work - that was too easy. Besides, the best stuff resided elsewhere, she always said, and generally this was true, although sometimes a bit more than expected (a discussion of polyamory, started by an innocuous-looking professor of physics when Kit was seven years old, remained a standout). (page 192)

I agree with Kit's mother. I try really hard not to ask people what they do for paid work. I actually am just realizing that there are a couple of people in my book club who I have known for years, but I don't know what they do for work!

"That must be frustrating," he said. He had no idea what she'd said, but he'd realized early in life that you could use that sentence as an effective response to 90 percent of what most people talked about. (page 205)

More of that great observational writing. 

11 comments:

  1. Wow, what an innovative premise! Everyone who is "a writer or reader" probably encompasses everyone in my world. No hat references, I take it? In any case, to the TBR list! (Aside: it's always the physicists and mathematicians who are poly!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No hat references! Maybe I'll start letting readers know that in my review if I didn't catch any mentions.

      Is that true about mathematicians and physicists? I had no idea! I'm going to start looking at my husband's co-workers with a new lens!

      Delete
  2. I have been wanting to read this and now I want to read it even more since you loved it so much!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, I think you'll like it. Not every chapter is as powerful as the first and sixth, but it's all very interestingly done.

      Delete
  3. Oh my goodness, tracking this down stat. Have you read Among Others by Jo Walton? Oh ha ha, I forgot, I can search, but I'm not going to, I'm going to live with the mystery. I loved that one for its centering of the importance of reading also.
    Maya's comment amused me, simply because my husband is a physicist and he would be so hilariously horrified if anyone suggested polyamory (not meaning to say 'not all physicists', just my personal experience).
    I find it fascinating how different people receive and interpret the same piece of writing. Sometimes it annoys me, but usually I try to be receptive to it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. YES! I read Among Others in 2012. Here's what I wrote: The diary of a young girl who loves to read with a dash of magic and fairies. What's not to love? Okay, fine, there are some completely valid criticisms of this book, but I'm going to stick my fingers in my ears and hum "The Battle Hymn of the Republic" while you trash it. Sure, nothing happens. It's true, I can't deny that the biggest failing of the book is a lack of plot. But people trash my beloved A Tree Grows in Brooklyn for the same thing. As a matter of fact, I think Mor and Francie have a lot in common and while I didn't LOVE this book like A Tree Grows in Brooklyn, I liked it a lot. I'm going to add all the novels she said were brill onto my own booklist. I am going to tell people to read this. So, um, read this.

      I think what I'm saying here is that my loyalty to ATGIB is abiding.

      Delete
    2. @Bibliomama LOL. I must say that was purely anecdotal from my experience--"anecdata"--if you will. Friends who are poly all seem to be speculative fiction/ Sci-Fi writers in relationships with computer science, physics, and math people. It's all very sweet, nice, and nerdy :).

      Delete
  4. Wow, this sounds great. I want to read it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I thought it was really good and I was surprised by how good it was!

      Delete
  5. I am still trying to get over the fact that you did not like Hamnet. This will take me awhile. Now I wonder about all the books you've ever liked, ever.

    Kidding.

    I'm intrigued by this book, and I like the snippets you've offered here; however, I usually get irritated by books that jump narrators. But I did like The Lincoln Highway, despite its doing so.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was not in the mood for Hamnet. I read it for book club and I felt like we were still in the middle of the pandemic, although most of my book club peeps had long since moved past it. Also, the vivid descriptions of domestic violence in that book really turned me off. Also, O'Farrell has some writing tics I don't like and I think of the whole book as overwritten, although that's a matter of taste. https://ngradstudent.blogspot.com/2022/04/hamnet-by-maggie-ofarrell.html

      I wish I'd known that once we finished a chapter we'd never go back to that POV again when I started this book. I was so invested in the characters from chapter one and it was sad to never revisit their POV again, although they do make appearances in other chapters. If that's not a writing structure you enjoy, though, I don't know if this is the book for you.

      Delete